Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

Speaking of book recommendations, does anyone have any suggestions for more technical books about photography? Including things like digital raw development/image processing.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For books I liked Bryan Peterson's Understanding * series. The Understanding Exposure book is the most essential, though the Composition one is also pretty good. He's kind of in the "lens diffraction doesn't matter" camp, though, and advocates shooting in f/21 if the situation calls for it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

Speaking of book recommendations, does anyone have any suggestions for more technical books about photography? Including things like digital raw development/image processing.

You can consider getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321908457/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is x-ray photography a thing? I've got personal access to an industrial x-ray.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It absolutely is, i used to be an industrial radiographer. What kind of tube do you have? Have you had training? Do you have dosimetry available? Survey meters? A shielded space for taking exposures, or at least an extremely remote one that you can control access to?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a 320 KV head with a 2048 pixel square DDA with a 100um pitch.

Yea I have all the training including NAS410 certification. I have a 520kv rated cabinet and required monitoring. What should I stick in this thing?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Great to hear you're certified! I won't have to try and write a "radiography safety for dummies" post lol

As far as what to put in it, I always had fun sticking various electronics or other devices in there to see the inner workings. I'd say pick things that might have interesting inner mechanisms. Or if you wanted to get artistic and fancy with it, you could even create items to x-ray that, say, look blank on the outside but the x-ray reveals the interesting artwork within.

Since film development isn't an issue, I'd say just start by grabbing some things and x-raying them along different axes and see what kinds of interesting shots you can come up with. Remote controls, TVs, radios, things with a lot of moving mechanical or electronics parts can be pretty, and you can find surprising things inside. X-ray marking tape can be useful for marking your shots too, if necessary.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Great to hear you're certified! I won't have to try and write a "radiography safety for dummies" post lol

As far as what to put in it, I always had fun sticking various electronics or other devices in there to see the inner workings. I'd say pick things that might have interesting inner mechanisms. Or if you wanted to get artistic and fancy with it, you could even create items to x-ray that, say, look blank on the outside but the x-ray reveals the interesting artwork within.

Since film development isn't an issue, I'd say just start by grabbing some things and x-raying them along different axes and see what kinds of interesting shots you can come up with. Remote controls, TVs, radios, things with a lot of moving mechanical or electronics parts can be pretty, and you can find surprising things inside. X-ray marking tape can be useful for marking your shots too, if necessary.

This would be a really cool idea especially if there's a way to get really interesting angles of objects.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've got an idea for Monday. Hopefully I can get it posted.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the help with ISO a few pages back everyone-- really informative!

Kind of a weird question, but is anyone familiar with the San Francisco city area? I want to keep up my momentum and check out new places around the city this weekend. I was thinking Chinatown, Crissy Field, and the Conservatory of Flowers. I did the tea gardens, Clarion Alley, and botanical gardens last week and loved the experience.

Anyone have any other suggestions? What is your go-to website for finding new places to photograph in your area?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For urban stuff I would just wander. You can browse on google maps, google earth (they have different image sets), instagram or on flickr's map feature but the signal to noise ratio in dense areas is gonna be absurd. If it's your home turf just keep an eye out when doing day to day life or make it a goal to visit a new street every week.

Once you get out of the cities the above tools get a lot more useful.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Something I’ve found surprisingly helpful is to try and take photos along the same route every day. It’s easy at first as you take the obvious photos, but then as time goes on you need to get more and more creative in order to take anything interesting. Some of the shots I’m happiest with have come from this, and it’s helped me look at other locations in interesting ways the first time I’m there.

I read a quote by Daido that kinda fits into this, it was along the lines of “I could walk ten meters and shoot an entire roll of film” and that really stuck with me. I assume he meant more just that he takes lots of pictures, but I took it more as “there’s interesting photos everywhere, you just need to know how to look for them”

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I live and commute through Civic Center, so it might not be the wisest choice to whip out anything valuable until I'm out of the area. :v:

I think I'll pick a random (better) neighborhood to get lunch/dinner in and then wander around. That sounds doable and fun :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Thanks for the help with ISO a few pages back everyone-- really informative!

Kind of a weird question, but is anyone familiar with the San Francisco city area? I want to keep up my momentum and check out new places around the city this weekend. I was thinking Chinatown, Crissy Field, and the Conservatory of Flowers. I did the tea gardens, Clarion Alley, and botanical gardens last week and loved the experience.

Anyone have any other suggestions? What is your go-to website for finding new places to photograph in your area?

I liked Third Street/Dogpatch for random street shots since there's a good combo of brand new stuff and old crumbling industrial infrastructure. Plus it's pretty quiet on weekends. If you want good Chinatown shots make sure to go up and down the streets between Grant and Powell, it's where all the alleys are.

Places way too many people shoot in SF IMO: Sutro Baths, Clarion alley, Twin Peaks, Lombard, 16th Ave. steps, Dolores Park, GG Park Bandshell, Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field, Fort Point.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Make sure you get the rare and uncommon and difficult photo of the golden gate bridge in foggy weather

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean the shot of the bridge through that one hole in the fence.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Does SF still have a terrible problem with people just making GBS threads everywhere?

Take photos of that, lots of potential for scathing social commentary.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It does! I saw an ungodly huge one covered in broken glass a few weeks back. I named it Stanley.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kind of a weird question for you guys and not sure where to post it, but it has to do with selling a camera in Craigslist. I’m used to scam offers - this is definitely ringing some bells but I haven’t heard this before using PayPal as it has been some other shady means of transferring money. With proof of delivery how would someone be able to get their money back or otherwise have this be a scam? There have been some other things along the way that make this seem legitimate but this most recent email is making me doubt it, mainly the PayPal part that is making me wonder if it’s for real.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Lightroom printing question. I'm trying to print 12x18 on 13x19. Lightroom is allowing me to select A3+ paper size, and the size looks right in the print module, but when I print it comes out as ~5.5x8 on the 13x19 paper. Not sure what I'm missing here...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hoo boy. Paypal or no I wouldn't touch that offer with a 50 foot pole. It basically hits every single scam email red flag in a short paragraph.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

rio posted:

Kind of a weird question for you guys and not sure where to post it, but it has to do with selling a camera in Craigslist. I’m used to scam offers - this is definitely ringing some bells but I haven’t heard this before using PayPal as it has been some other shady means of transferring money. With proof of delivery how would someone be able to get their money back or otherwise have this be a scam? There have been some other things along the way that make this seem legitimate but this most recent email is making me doubt it, mainly the PayPal part that is making me wonder if it’s for real.

Probably a stolen account that'll then get charged back or similar. It's absolutely a scam though, that's for sure.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rio posted:

I don’t have any experience selling stuff online, but I know some folks who do and one of their complaints is that PayPal sides with the buyer basically 100% of the time. A semi-common scam is for the buyer to claim they received the package but the item was broken or the wrong item, and it’s really difficult to prove that you actually shipped the correct item in working condition as a seller.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh a stolen account, I hadn’t thought of that one.

In cases where I’m shipping something fragile like a guitar I will take video of me packing it to verify that I am sending it in working order as described. Nothing has happened that I’ve had to use the video for but I could verify that I’m sending the camera in working condition.

And yeah the rest of that email was the same or similar to other scam offers I’ve gotten in the past. The PayPal part was the only thing that had me wondering. I do know that they side with the buyer all the time unfortunately - I sold a lens to some guy some years back and a little over a month later I get an email that the buyer initiated a return. Said it was a grey market lens, that it made his camera not work. I sent PayPal my b&h receipt to show it was bought in the US and they said I didn’t have enough evidence. I assume he just wanted a free rental.

However he did have to send the lens back so that’s why I was wondering how the guy who sent this could potentially get a camera for free since the rest of his email is indicating that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lightroom printing question. I'm trying to print 12x18 on 13x19. Lightroom is allowing me to select A3+ paper size, and the size looks right in the print module, but when I print it comes out as ~5.5x8 on the 13x19 paper. Not sure what I'm missing here...

Not sure if this counts as a solution or work-around, but I got it working by using the Print Studio Pro plug-in in Lightroom.

e: Moab rep just emailed me with a second solution: On a Mac, selecting paper size doesn't always change all the relevant settings, and you need to check under Print Settings/Paper Handling to check scaling and destination paper size. Even though I'd set paper size under Page Setup, under Paper Handling it was set to Letter.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 5, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

This is 100% a scam. It's almost word for word, the same as the usual online market scam messages. The 'buyer' just refers to 'the item' rather than by any kind of specific descriptor, because they are sending that same message to literally anyone selling any high value item - whether it's a camera, a car, a playstation or whatever.

There's a number of ways in which it can work depending on the amount of effort the scammer is going to go for.
1: The scammer tells you that the shipping agent requires payment in advance by some non-refundable method like Western Union, but he'll cover it with an extra payment to you. You send money to a random person and never see it again.
2: The scammer sends you a faked Paypal payment notification. You send him a free camera.
3: The scammer pays you way too much for the item 'by mistake'. He then asks you to refund him the difference. You send him the money, then you find out that his payment was faked.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Photos on my canon rebel take longer to process when ISO is set high, so my question is, WTF?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tunicate posted:

Photos on my canon rebel take longer to process when ISO is set high, so my question is, WTF?

Do you have High ISO Speed Noise Reduction enabled?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

not that I know of - where would I check

(I'm saving as RAW but I dunno if that matters)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Tunicate posted:

Do you mean process in camera or on the computer?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As in if I tell it to do a continuous burst of 10 photos, photos # 8, 9, and 10 take far longer than 1-7.

But only on high iso.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Tunicate posted:

As in if I tell it to do a continuous burst of 10 photos, photos # 8, 9, and 10 take far longer than 1-7.

But only on high iso.

Sounds symptomatic of high ISO noise reduction, and in this instance the image processor can't keep up with the files being written to buffer - or the buffer itself is a bottleneck.
Is it a huge problem or are you just curious?

There might (should) be a setting to disable noise reduction processing, which you can do in post anyway.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Are the burst speeds of the low iso shots being limited by the shutter speed, giving it more time each shot to process?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Same shutter speed on both, i have it fixed at 0.6 seconds (doing microscope photography, testing to see how little light i can get away with using)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
High ISO files are generally of a higher file size, but not by a huge amount. What kind of card are you using?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's normal for the last few shots of a burst to take a while because the camera falls behind trying to flush the buffer.

It is suspicious that it only happens at high ISO but my first troubleshooting step would still be to make sure the SD card is fast enough for the camera. The manual should list the suggested specs, or you can just buy the fastest Sandisk you can find on Amazon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not speaking from any expertise here, but wondering if you are shooting at the upper ISO limit that might be expanded ISO range that maybe requires some additional processing. So maybe backing off a stop or two into the standard range might help?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am using a  SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 64GB card which is the fastest one my camera takes according to my research.

Once i get back from my trip i can check on iso noise reduction

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

dakana posted:

High ISO files are generally of a higher file size, but not by a huge amount. What kind of card are you using?

More noise, compression is less effective so file size is larger, does it also take longer to run the compression, not just to write to to the card? You could run the test with the same shutter speed, different iso, but with the lens cap on to test it.

Long exposure noise reduction is baked into the raw file, but probably not for a 0.6 second exposure. I don't think canon applies noise reduction to the raw file otherwise.

Also when you mean high iso is it still an native high iso setting, not an extended one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm having issues with 3200 or 6400, which are just backofthecamera selectable defaults. Dunno if that makes them 'extended' or not, i dont really know camera terminology.

I don't *think* there is a noticeable filesize difference but i can check when i get back