Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Schwab has a referral code bonus where, if someone refers you and you open an eligible account, you get free $100 in a brokerage account. I opened a checking account and received the bonus. The only down side is that someone called me with some survey questions before I could receive the bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It's too late for the international trip I'm annoy to take this weekend, but I've known about the Schwab refunds for a while since my brother has had it for years. That's on me, and especially admitting because Japan is cash-heavy. Anyway, would I still need to open a brokerage account with them if my company 401k is already through Schwab? I'm guessing so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yes, I doubt that your 401(k) counts.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

It's too late for the international trip I'm annoy to take this weekend, but I've known about the Schwab refunds for a while since my brother has had it for years. That's on me, and especially admitting because Japan is cash-heavy. Anyway, would I still need to open a brokerage account with them if my company 401k is already through Schwab? I'm guessing so.

Good news is the best way to get yen is via atm in Japan. Even after a 3% fee and ATM fees.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I know it doesn't matter but I like when my auto index fund purchase times the market. Go go Monday purchase

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I know I’m gambling but BYND is up like 30% today! Buy buy buy!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tuyop posted:

I know I’m gambling but BYND is up like 30% today! Buy buy buy!

Well should have bought yesterday.

I tried the beyond Burger last weekend. It was not so great. I will probably give it another go since I wasn't exactly sure how to cook kit.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My awesome, soon to retire, boss wants me to stay at their house while they are away on vacation for 3 weeks.

Take care of their dog, take in the mail, water plants, etc.

What should I charge a day? $50?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Well should have bought yesterday.

I tried the beyond Burger last weekend. It was not so great. I will probably give it another go since I wasn't exactly sure how to cook kit.

It’s a loving revelation for vegetarian food on the road. It’s expensive but so great to just go into A&W and get a burger and fries and not have to worry about it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
internet says overnight pet sitters can go for up to a hundred bucks a day, on the quick search i did

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My awesome, soon to retire, boss wants me to stay at their house while they are away on vacation for 3 weeks.

We used to pay our pet sitter $300-400 per week in a L/MCOL city. Plus all the booze that she could drink. What you want to charge can vary widely depending on where you live and what they want you to do.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

spwrozek posted:

Haven't had the BB yet but the Impossible Burger (at Hopdoddy's in Austin) was genuinely good, and not just in a "good for a meat substitute" kind of way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of the local barbecue places has a whole jackfruit bbq menu. It's intriguing

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^Jackfruit BBQ sounds really interesting

Trabant posted:

Haven't had the BB yet but the Impossible Burger (at Hopdoddy's in Austin) was genuinely good, and not just in a "good for a meat substitute" kind of way.

Impossible is good, just wish you could buy it for use at home.

Beyond is probably ok, I just need to work on the how to cook it portion.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think we pay a friend around that a day to watch our menagerie of animals and bring in the mail. Depends on how inconvenient his house location is compared to the rest of your life I suppose.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

spwrozek posted:

^Jackfruit BBQ sounds really interesting

Impossible is good, just wish you could buy it for use at home.

Beyond is probably ok, I just need to work on the how to cook it portion.

The new Impossible 2.0 will be offered for consumers to buy in grocery stores. I don't know if it will be refrigerated or frozen.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

The new Impossible 2.0 will be offered for consumers to buy in grocery stores. I don't know if it will be refrigerated or frozen.

Oh nice and exciting! Hopefully soon.

Bare Bones
Jun 7, 2019
Hello,

I hate my job and need to better support myself and my family, but I am concerned I don't know what I'd be best at. Is there a reliable sort of aptitude test out there? Even if it's not free? I'm hoping to get some direction as to what sort of field I'd be best suited for. I am not in any education right now, and so don't have access to campus resources.

Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bare Bones posted:

Hello,

I hate my job and need to better support myself and my family, but I am concerned I don't know what I'd be best at. Is there a reliable sort of aptitude test out there? Even if it's not free? I'm hoping to get some direction as to what sort of field I'd be best suited for. I am not in any education right now, and so don't have access to campus resources.

Thanks.

The Strong Interest Inventory seemed comprehensive and accurate to me, though I already knew what I wanted to do so maybe I loaded the questions.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a chance they promote you to their position when they retire?

Bare Bones
Jun 7, 2019

tuyop posted:

The Strong Interest Inventory seemed comprehensive and accurate to me, though I already knew what I wanted to do so maybe I loaded the questions.

Is this good place to start to help decide what Degree to get?
Could it potentially help me decide on a career, which in turn would help give me a degree to focus on to make that career goal?

(For the record, I was working on an Anthropology degree a decade ago, but I dropped out. Because I am an idiot.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bare Bones posted:

Is this good place to start to help decide what Degree to get?
Could it potentially help me decide on a career, which in turn would help give me a degree to focus on to make that career goal?

(For the record, I was working on an Anthropology degree a decade ago, but I dropped out. Because I am an idiot.)

Yeah that’s right. It’ll tell you, basically, your top 20 career options based on like 200 questions and then your Counsellor or whoever administers the test will advise based on local and regional education stuff.

Or you can post your results here and maybe some goons will help. If you liked anthro, you may like teaching or archaeology or geology or maybe even community policing! Anthro is a very broad field.

Or just go into nursing, find work, get good pay, die loved.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The economy is poo poo and almost nobody gets to do the job that actually excites them.

Find the jobs that have the highest combination of pay and demand in your area. Pick the one that is least abhorrent to you.

Nursing is a good choice.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The economy is poo poo and almost nobody gets to do the job that actually excites them.

Find the jobs that have the highest combination of pay and demand in your area. Pick the one that is least abhorrent to you.

Nursing is a good choice.

Am nurse, can confirm.

Also, nursing as a career isn’t a chain to the beside. There are so many things you can do, with options to work from home, just because you’re a nurse. It opens doors that you wouldn’t have had otherwise, or enables you to get through them easier.

I didn’t last a year working in a hospital, but I moved to research. Very easy, low stress, better pay than beside. I have a job that doesn’t exactly excite me, but I do enjoy it and the opportunities it provides.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cacafuego posted:

Am nurse, can confirm.

Also, nursing as a career isn’t a chain to the beside. There are so many things you can do, with options to work from home, just because you’re a nurse. It opens doors that you wouldn’t have had otherwise, or enables you to get through them easier.

I didn’t last a year working in a hospital, but I moved to research. Very easy, low stress, better pay than beside. I have a job that doesn’t exactly excite me, but I do enjoy it and the opportunities it provides.

In my country there's even a hotline staffed by registered nurses who will give anyone calling free advice (like if you should go to the hospital, where to go/call if you're out of surgery hours and need to be seen but it's not worth going to the emergency department, etc). It's probably not the most exciting of jobs, but it's important.

These days you can even get some basic scripts written by nurse practitioners (depending on where you live, of course).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My company has a full time nurse who just deals with worker’s comp claims all day every day.

She also does poo poo like vaccinate people in the office and give basic nursing advice when we show her gross stuff on our pale bodies.

We also have camp nurses, basically the only medical professionals in a 200 miles radius for a community of 300 workers. They’re pretty cool.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nursing is a highly versatile and worthy profession that also pays well (in most places) and will only increase in demand with demographic shift and climate refugees. If you can stand the fact that you’ll know what lymph fluid smells like, you’ll be in good work until you die.

It’s also, like, probably what most people think doctors do. And it can be incredibly stressful and traumatizing.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

howdoesishotweb posted:

At least you learned the important lesson of don’t mix work and friends/family unless you’re prepared to get screwed for the sake of that relationship.

Great news everyone: I was fired on Friday due to my availability change. All the other workers there work 6 days a week, and they 'needed' me to work 6 days a week, too (even though they don't pay overtime for >40 hours worked).

At least I don't have to work that lovely job anymore. :capitalism:

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I was just informed that I will receive a sizable (to me) stock grant as a part of my comp package. It will vest over a period of 4 years (1/4 after year one, and 1/16 each quarter thereafter).

I'm pretty new to this part of a comp package so I'm interested in what is typical. Should I expect to receive an ADDITIONAL grant every year moving forward (stacking the stock grants and rolling them all together), or just expect to renew and increase after the 4 year granting period?

How does the award typically work?
for example, if I am awared $20,000 over 4 years.
a. Do I have the $20,000 in shares at today's market price in my account on day 1($20,000 on day one, stock increases 10% by yr 1, I am now vested at $5,500 of $22,000),
b. or will they release the funds and purchase shares at the given market price at the vesting date? (ex. $5,000 at year 1, additional $1,250 q1, etc.)

This is a part of my companies Stock Refresh Program.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

I Love Topanga posted:

I was just informed that I will receive a sizable (to me) stock grant as a part of my comp package. It will vest over a period of 4 years (1/4 after year one, and 1/16 each quarter thereafter).

I'm pretty new to this part of a comp package so I'm interested in what is typical. Should I expect to receive an ADDITIONAL grant every year moving forward (stacking the stock grants and rolling them all together), or just expect to renew and increase after the 4 year granting period?

How does the award typically work?
for example, if I am awared $20,000 over 4 years.
a. Do I have the $20,000 in shares at today's market price in my account on day 1($20,000 on day one, stock increases 10% by yr 1, I am now vested at $5,500 of $22,000),
b. or will they release the funds and purchase shares at the given market price at the vesting date? (ex. $5,000 at year 1, additional $1,250 q1, etc.)

This is a part of my companies Stock Refresh Program.

Basically A, you should be awarded X shares on a specific date based on the total grant divided by market price. Whether you get another grant yearly, around four years, or never, is entirely company and performance dependent. I would suggest assuming that you don't though if the company is reasonably large you can probably find out what is typical either online or asking your teammates and manager. The recruiter will typically tell you that additionally grants can be awarded yearly based on performance, but will either lie or won't know what level of performance is needed and what is typical.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

asur posted:

Basically A, you should be awarded X shares on a specific date based on the total grant divided by market price. Whether you get another grant yearly, around four years, or never, is entirely company and performance dependent. I would suggest assuming that you don't though if the company is reasonably large you can probably find out what is typical either online or asking your teammates and manager. The recruiter will typically tell you that additionally grants can be awarded yearly based on performance, but will either lie or won't know what level of performance is needed and what is typical.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

literally this big posted:

Great news everyone: I was fired on Friday due to my availability change. All the other workers there work 6 days a week, and they 'needed' me to work 6 days a week, too (even though they don't pay overtime for >40 hours worked).

What the fuuuuuuuck?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FrozenVent posted:

What the fuuuuuuuck?

I think it is time to report the scumbag.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I think it is time to report the scumbag.

Yep, get your reports going. Treating an employee as hourly < 40 but salaried > 40 (max payout style for an employee) is 100% illegal.

Positive note: You can replace min-wage easy if there were no benefits being offered anyway. Sounds like there was no real benefit to staying there, so congratulations on being free from an abusive employer! :)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It sucks since the owner is a family friend's spouse, but really, they deserve it.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

FrozenVent posted:

What the fuuuuuuuck?

Get this: my last gig was at a fast-casual pizza chain in LA. On November 10th our store ran out of vegan cheese, so my manager called me up (I was off at the time) to pick a bag from another store in Newbury Park.

My manager sent me directly into the Woolsey wildfire to pick up a bag of cheese.

The best part? They refused to reimburse my mileage until a supervisor from another store confirmed that they had to. I was fired """for cause""" shortly after.

:capitalism:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
But did the cheese melt?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Simpsons Reference posted:

But did the cheese melt?

No it was vegan so it just liquified

Bare Bones
Jun 7, 2019

tuyop posted:

Yeah that’s right. It’ll tell you, basically, your top 20 career options based on like 200 questions and then your Counsellor or whoever administers the test will advise based on local and regional education stuff.

Or you can post your results here and maybe some goons will help. If you liked anthro, you may like teaching or archaeology or geology or maybe even community policing! Anthro is a very broad field.

Or just go into nursing, find work, get good pay, die loved.

So, Thank you for some direction.

I took a Strong and MBTI combined test, and had a meeting with a career counselor to interpret my results.

I have always wanted to be a Doctor, and when doctor came up, very high on my list of professions suited for my type, I was very excited.

However, after talking to some friends and family, I got a lot of suggestions to be a physicians assistant, as it required just 4 years schooling--less money, less time. Honestly, the profession does not speak to me; it still sounds like a second-banana of sorts, and I know myself, and what appeals to me.
That said, I understood and contemplated the concerns being voiced. I would be 40 by the time I was starting to make money as a full-fledged Doctor.

So, I revisited my list, and on it, at #1, in fact, was Pharmacist.
Less school, stable hours, still in the medical field. I think this is what I have decided on.

So I am beginning to investigate the specifics of what I'll need to become a pharmacist, and how to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bare Bones posted:

So, Thank you for some direction.

I took a Strong and MBTI combined test, and had a meeting with a career counselor to interpret my results.

I have always wanted to be a Doctor, and when doctor came up, very high on my list of professions suited for my type, I was very excited.

However, after talking to some friends and family, I got a lot of suggestions to be a physicians assistant, as it required just 4 years schooling--less money, less time. Honestly, the profession does not speak to me; it still sounds like a second-banana of sorts, and I know myself, and what appeals to me.
That said, I understood and contemplated the concerns being voiced. I would be 40 by the time I was starting to make money as a full-fledged Doctor.

So, I revisited my list, and on it, at #1, in fact, was Pharmacist.
Less school, stable hours, still in the medical field. I think this is what I have decided on.

So I am beginning to investigate the specifics of what I'll need to become a pharmacist, and how to make it happen.

So why not nursing again?