Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I just need to learn how to write jokes, compose music, program, design games, and create pixel art, and I'll have this game finished in no time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

the demo did not disappoint

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Modus Pwnens posted:

I just need to learn how to write jokes, compose music, program, design games, and create pixel art, and I'll have this game finished in no time

No regard for project or community management eh? :hmmyes:

When can you start???

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Tunicate posted:

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police.

i say god drat

fuckin lost it when using the lightbringer

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Tunicate posted:

uh holy poo poo, this is excellent. when do i get the 4th party member?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Tunicate posted:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

No regard for project or community management eh? :hmmyes:

When can you start???

Oh, I already know how to not post updates.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
If there's one thing I've learned from trying to run an art team on a failed project it's that You can never be sure of what someone on the team is gonna just suddenly wanna die on the hill about. You may get your specific chickens in the coop but god forbid the programmer with no art expertise starts making decisions about art and won't back down on it.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
the b2 demo is beyond amazing

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Diabetes Forecast posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from trying to run an art team on a failed project it's that You can never be sure of what someone on the team is gonna just suddenly wanna die on the hill about. You may get your specific chickens in the coop but god forbid the programmer with no art expertise starts making decisions about art and won't back down on it.

From running my own team, my biggest lessons have been to hire people who have similar personalities/ways of thinking and get along, and to hire people who understand boundaries. Coders don't need to be telling artists how to draw and vice versa.

It's idealistic to be like "more perspectives is better!" but in practice it usually results in 6 people having their own ideas of how they want the game to be and everything devolving into bickering and politics.

But you're right - generally whenever I've struggled with a person who just will not let a certain idea go, to the point it jeopardises their place on the team, it's been artists.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Tunicate posted:

I don't know who you are but thank you for this wonderful thing

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Have you considered starting a Kickstarter and ruining your life?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rhopunzel posted:

But you're right - generally whenever I've struggled with a person who just will not let a certain idea go, to the point it jeopardises their place on the team, it's been artists.

It was actually NOT the artists. that was a well oiled machine including my own work. The programmer decided that we needed realtime lighting with painterly assets made specifically for unlit. I then made like 4 separate dirt textures that was discarded because they weren't high enough contrast. Because the lighting was wrong. Then we couldn't see characters, so he applies a cel shader to them rather than just... fix the thing I kept telling him to do.
It wasn't until the project was nearly dead that we got it changed and SUPRISE EVERYTHING LOOKED NICE IN UNLIT.

I definitely caused my own issues, don't get me wrong. It was a disaster zone from the start. I take full responsibility for how long some assets took to actually get finished (UI stuff I never actually did) and other mess. But I can never forget that part of things.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 7, 2019

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Diabetes Forecast posted:

It was actually NOT the artists. that was a well oiled machine including my own work. The programmer decided that we needed realtime lighting with painterly assets made specifically for unlit. I then made like 4 separate dirt textures that was discarded because they weren't high enough contrast. Because the lighting was wrong. Then we couldn't see characters, so he applies a cel shader to them rather than just... fix the thing I kept telling him to do.
It wasn't until the project was nearly dead that we got it changed and SUPRISE EVERYTHING LOOKED NICE IN UNLIT.

I definitely caused my own issues, don't get me wrong. It was a disaster zone from the start. I take full responsibility for how long some assets took to actually get finished (UI stuff I never actually did) and other mess. But I can never forget that part of things.

Ah that's good, getting artists to work harmoniously is no mean feat. Some coders are just like that and think that being the "putting stuff together guy" gives them jurisdiction on how things should look too. The best people to work with are the ones that let other people do their jobs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tunicate posted:

the new level is fun like zeldas or metroid, i like the zabers, i like rpg

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Groovelord Neato posted:

all the behind the scenes posts make me wanna make a game.

Darkley Souls: Shut Up and Die

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Holy poo poo barkley 2 is out

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I got stuck in the room with all the hookshot poles after dark drakerland.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Sorry to interrupt demochat but I wanted to focus on something important that I think got glossed over in that KS update

Truecon420 posted:

I’m showing this not to surprise anyone about how COMPLETE the game is, or even prove that “See! Work was done!” I’m just attempting to explain the systems that work in the game currently.

Look at that sentence. Look at what it's trying to actually say. It is a desperate attempt to pretend the game's state is impressive. It's like saying "I don't want y'all to focus on how ripped my arms are getting, I just want to show you my new shirt." He's not trying to explain the state, he's pretending to do that while attempting to give the impression that the game is really close to being complete. If it ain't deliberate, it reads exactly like how I would do it if I was being deliberate and trying really hard to imply that it wouldn't be that much work to get it up and running, and hey you'd get your name in a finished product, I'm not saying you should come work for free but we are this close-

gently caress, I cannot imagine what y'all went through to try to get this thing made. I'm horrified by the stories that are coming out.

Also the demo is a beautiful thing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tunicate posted:

the promise has been fulfilled

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Barkley III is looking good, it certainly is better than B2 can ever hope to be.

As for that KS update, it's total PR bullshit. You should not believe a word of it without further proof being presented.

If I were to make an estimation of how complete B2 is, I would break it down like this:

The first segment of the game, the tutorial, is done. It's not interesting or funny, which is a really good way for us to keep people interested who are there expecting a sequel to barkley1. It lasts for about 5 minutes, less than that if you skip the yapping.

Then comes the "best" section of the game, Tir na Nog. It's good and afaik whatever incomplete stuff there used to be there has been completed, or moved somewhere else. You would have to really try to find gameplay/quest issues there. There's plenty of things and quests to do in TNN. The sewers are passable as a first dungeon. The enemies are very basic, but it's the first dungeon so who cares. The related bosses are a total disgrace and that's really the main problem here.

After TNN you can freely roam the lands to your hearts content. There are some "towns" you can visit for questing. A few of them work OK but it's nothing to hold your breath over. Lots of empty and unfinished stuff here.

If you follow the "main quest" you can do it up to a point and then it just... stops. There's no way to progress without debug tools.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Wonderful in every way!

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I haven't been this happy in years oh my god

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm going to play the gently caress out of this so hard when i get home.

I'll just restate that at some point a synopsis of the planned plot might be cool. Like how Marc Laidlaw posted a summary of how Half-Life 3 would have gone.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

This shoddy quality mockery of something is precisely what Borgese 2 shold have been.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Gortarius posted:

If you follow the "main quest" you can do it up to a point and then it just... stops. There's no way to progress without debug tools.

So you never escape from Necron 7? Who do I sue for false advertising

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just did a speed run in 41 minutes. with good dark draker rng i think you can bring it under 40 flat.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Jesus loving christ. Why can't he just let it die?

I genuinely am awestruck that there are people in this thread still talking like a version of this game coming out is still a real possibility.

Truecon420 posted:

I hear you, and this may be a useless question, but if a bunch of fans mobilized to convince him to step down and give up the rights back to original creators, would it be worth considering coming back

holy poo poo, dude.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 7, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

the gamers...make someone step down...by rising....up...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Truecon420 posted:

I hear you, and this may be a useless question, but if a bunch of fans mobilized to convince him to step down and give up the rights back to original creators, would it be worth considering coming back

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

gonna gather a hoard of game-obsessed psychopaths to force someone to release their legal obligation over a game and then kidnap the original designers to build a game that died long ago

after so many years of waiting, i will burn down the world to finally play neophyte

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Cuntellectual posted:

I genuinely am awestruck that there are people in this thread still talking like a version of this game coming out is still a real possibility.

I dunno, anything could happen. Someone could go out there and draw an entire new season of the Inspector Gadget cartoon

Maybe

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raiad posted:

gonna gather a hoard of game-obsessed psychopaths to force someone to release their legal obligation over a game and then kidnap the original designers to build a game that died long ago

after so many years of waiting, i will burn down the world to finally play Silent Hills

Gwrrrk
Jun 27, 2013
Charles Broccoli

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
The Barkl3y demo is pretty epic.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cuntellectual posted:

holy poo poo, dude.

Well the demo is likely to come out and most of the devs want to finish it (but don't think that's possible because of Liam)

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Well the demo is likely to come out and most of the devs want to finish it (but don't think that's possible because of Liam)

It sounds like they want to be finished with it, not finish it

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

mp5 posted:

It sounds like they want to be finished with it, not finish it

I mean they would rather it be dead and buried than in a half-there dev hell, but they'd like to actually finish it even more. Again, they just don't think that's doable. But with the fan backlash against Liam something might change there. And if it doesn't, it doesn't, and that's the point where you should be encouraging their closure

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I replayed barkley 1 in the wake of all this and the best part of the game is still just the title screen and accompanying music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

everything in Al Bhed