Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I see the New Japan DLC for Fire Pro World is on sale over the weekend (Steam); how is it? A decent single player "campaign" for the game seems like something I'd get a lot out of. How does it compare to the Jr. Heavyweight DLC (which is also on sale now that I look)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
The campaigns themselves are nothing to write home about, but they come with a pretty good chunk of edit parts and moves, and edits that have those parts or moves can't be used by non-DLC owners.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The campaigns are pretty fun, albeit pretty silly fanficcy stuff of 'your favourite New Japan guys hang out with your CAW and tell you you're the best" but it's neat.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The single player modes are very linear, and the one variable- which faction you wind up in, no one can figure out how to get in to a specific faction. Though on your second playthrough you just get to pick. But, as others have said, they both come with a ton of new moves, parts, and voice lines, and are necessary to use and workshop creations that have them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Just play SLAMMED!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kinda sucks they didn't make it so you can use DLC moves etc just not edit them yourself. I don't really want to make two versions of edits especially if there's no easy way to tell what is and isn't a DLC move

EDIT: and that's without the problem of some of the DLC edit pieces being really nice for certain things you can't really do, looks-wise, with the vanilla parts.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 7, 2019

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just play SLAMMED!

:yeah:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Okay thanks, sounds like it isn't exactly can't-miss, but could definitely be a fun little time. And getting the extra edit parts is certainly a great perk.

From scanning the rest of the DLC it looks like the NJPW deal is the only one with extra edit moves/parts, is that correct?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Minidust posted:

Okay thanks, sounds like it isn't exactly can't-miss, but could definitely be a fun little time. And getting the extra edit parts is certainly a great perk.

From scanning the rest of the DLC it looks like the NJPW deal is the only one with extra edit moves/parts, is that correct?

Fire Promoter does not come with any moves or edit parts, no. The $4 or whatever it is Takayama charity DLC has a single move but it's rarely used.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just play SLAMMED!

The best wrestling game in years.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

SLAMMED rules

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
An interesting piece of history has floated online: An unreleased Universal Wrestling Corporation game for the NES, from that very brief period between their founding and their changing their name to WCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Dcy2MecQg

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I did not expect this, but I'm down with it. https://twitter.com/CanofSpriteMan/status/1138650161218052096

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Hell yeah, I need more voices and costume parts for women.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not actually confirmed but

https://twitter.com/canofspriteman/status/1138652153348853767?s=21

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also he followed STARDOM on twitter

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm really excited for this because

PublicOpinion posted:

Hell yeah, I need more voices and costume parts for women.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope the story mode is you starting as an 8 year old in the Stardom Dojo and learning how to wrestle by maiming gropey people in the front office.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

coconono posted:

I hope the story mode is you starting as an 8 year old in the Stardom Dojo and learning how to wrestle by maiming gropey people in the front office.

Nah, that's the next Yakuza game.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

In a just world that'd be the new Rumble Roses game.

E: wait I don't want 8 year olds in Rumble Roses I'm sorry I'm trying to delete it

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Last week on W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling, after a spectacular showcase of some of the strange and stupendous stars of W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling, owner and proprietor Emerson L. Palmer closed the show with a shocking revelation: That he sold the company to Wendy's Twitter Account.
So now what?
Find out tonight at 8:00 PM EST!
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i missed the live airing and the debut but i really like WAVE's aesthetic and the roster i've gotten to see so far.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

"I'm sure I'll come up with something after I hire them"
Me running an above Regional company in TEW

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

I hope the story mode is you starting as an 8 year old in the Stardom Dojo and learning how to wrestle from Kenny Omega

It’s time to bring the infamous meme to life!

Takuan
May 6, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i missed the live airing and the debut but i really like WAVE's aesthetic and the roster i've gotten to see so far.

Glad you liked it and hope you continue to tune in.

Takuan posted:

"I'm sure I'll come up with something after I make them"
Me making wrestlers in Fire Pro

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Testekill posted:

"I'm sure I'll come up with something after I hire them"
Me running an above Regional company in TEW

"I'm sure I'll come up with something in a year or two when they're ready."
Me signing my 50th developmental wrestler contract in TEW.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So if this is the wrong place to do this I'll edit it later, but I figured y'all might be interested.

I've decide to start streaming old wrestling games starting tonight with Smackdown 2, and I've got a crap load more I'll be doing over the coming Saturday nights including VPW2

https://twitch.tv/daviddellamorte/profile

I'll be going live about 8pm pacific tonight.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just for fun, the first WWE Heroclix figure has been revealed with new rules and what-not. Since everyone here hates Heroclix, it might just be fun to see the names of the powers on the card.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
For a second I thought that was an amiibo and got really excited

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Steve Vader posted:

Just for fun, the first WWE Heroclix figure has been revealed with new rules and what-not. Since everyone here hates Heroclix, it might just be fun to see the names of the powers on the card.

This stupid set is going to be what gets me back into 'clix and I hate myself for it so much.

The WWE team ability is some absolutely ridiculous horseshit.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

This stupid set is going to be what gets me back into 'clix and I hate myself for it so much.

The WWE team ability is some absolutely ridiculous horseshit.

As someone who knows literally nothing about heroclix, could you give a brief explanation why?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
How far off is TEW 2020? I feel like it's about time for me to sink back into a TEW rabbit hole but 2016 is pretty outdated, and I'm always a bit dissatisfied with the real world mods that are kept up-to-date.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

CVagts posted:

How far off is TEW 2020? I feel like it's about time for me to sink back into a TEW rabbit hole but 2016 is pretty outdated, and I'm always a bit dissatisfied with the real world mods that are kept up-to-date.

Pretty sure December or January.

edit: to quote the man

quote:

When is the game coming out?

The original aim was to release the game in the summer of 2020. However, things have been progressing so well that I suspect we may now be looking a little earlier than that, possibly even Christmas 2019. You'll be reading about the progress in the upcoming developer's journal, and so the release date will be clearer as we move through the next year.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 17, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"I wonder if he got a good roll on his stats cap"
~Me upon signing Mass Transit for my developmental league when I play the 1996 mod.

Crud I should really fire TEW back up and play with AEW now that they have a roster.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The latest TEW 2020 update.

Re: Developmental tolerance. Thank gently caress. Can't wait for no more endless emails from talent wanting a call-up and morale plummets as soon as they learn to run the ropes.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Aesop Poprock posted:

As someone who knows literally nothing about heroclix, could you give a brief explanation why?

As someone who very much enjoys Heroclix, it's likely because it's an expensive hobby (collecting miniatures or anything really can get that way) and the fact that the rules have gone through a lot of permutations over the 15+ years of the game and they are overcomplicated and fiddly and occasionally counterintuitive. But I will soon be able to team Macho Man Randy Savage up with Muhammad Ali to fight a Nazi made of bees and Zangief if I want.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ryland said that the first "stage" of his journal is thing up with all the finished changes and soon he'll be starting the "live" journal of developments. I don't know what that means as far as a time to but I assume that suggests hes on pace for a release. But I'd guess fall at the earliest.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Steve Vader posted:

As someone who very much enjoys Heroclix, it's likely because it's an expensive hobby (collecting miniatures or anything really can get that way) and the fact that the rules have gone through a lot of permutations over the 15+ years of the game and they are overcomplicated and fiddly and occasionally counterintuitive. But I will soon be able to team Macho Man Randy Savage up with Muhammad Ali to fight a Nazi made of bees and Zangief if I want.

Thanks, although I meant specifically what mechanics the wwe team ability bring to the table that’s so ridiculous

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Thanks, although I meant specifically what mechanics the wwe team ability bring to the table that’s so ridiculous

It's been a while since I played Heroclix, but it looks like the ability will give characters a mobility advantage and immunity to ranged attacks early in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ah, okay.

Well, the WWE Rules (which have only been teased at this point and not fully released, so we don't know the extent of them) have a lot of new functionality that mostly seem to be included in the Team Ability.

The main thing that's blowing nerds' minds about it is that they will be immune to attacks from range and the "Outwit" power as long as they are on their first click. Or their last few 'orange-numbered' clicks that denote that they are in the danger zone for being pinned. But you have to get up into close combat to get the first damage applied, and even when they ARE vulnerable to range, you can't hit them more than once from range in the same turn - in fact, you can't even TARGET them more than once from range, which means even if you miss with the one range attack you can do, you can't try another one until the next turn. So it's COME FIGHT ME. And since it's on their last clicks as well, there's no defeating them from range unless you hit REALLY HARD when they are vulnerable. You gotta get up there and pin 'em.

The "Pin" ability is also included in the TA, which will mostly only affect other WWE guys, but there are a small handful of other figures with orange-numbered clicks for other reasons. Basically, if you've hit a guy with your Signature Move and they are on their orange clix (so far as we know, it's the last three clicks of the dial), you can start a d6 roll-off to determine if you get the 3-count - if you win, you do a click of penetrating damage, then repeat until they are KOed or you lose the roll-off. If they roll a 6, they Kick Out (which hasn't been defined yet).

There's a "Bounce" ability that sounds fun and cool, treating terrain features like Ropes that you can bounce or be bounced off of, but that's not fully defined yet either, but they've indicated an intriguing ability called "Flying Leap" that I look forward to having explained.

There's also a "Grand Entrance" ability, where you can move for free (you don't take an Action Token that may hamper you on the next turn) if you are in your starting area.

Usually, Team Abilities give you one trick. This gives you 4. But it can't be copied by Wild Cards who can usually copy other TAs, so there's no concern about Spider-Man pinning you (ALTHOUGH BONESAW WOULD THINK THAT THIS SHOULD BE SOMETHING ALLOWABLE GIVEN THE HUMAN SPIDER'S WRESTLING HISTORY).

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 18, 2019