Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There's also no reason to think he's learned to take care of himself better, either. I see three possibilities because it is a contract year for him.

1. He will play at an MVP level like he did before and we will go deep in the playoffs because he will realize he is the key to the team's chances and that sometimes losing a game at the cost of not risking yourself is the wisest choice. The tools are there for him and he wants the big contract and the stability of not having to change cities.
2. He will play at an MVP level like he did before but we will not go deep in the playoffs if at all because he will continue to take hits from human bulldozers when he doesn't need to in an attempt to make scramble poo poo happen. As a result, he gets hurt again and the Eagles are left in an awkward state of wanting to sign him but also not wanting to sign him because they can't trust him to ever deliver on his potential. This is how we could lose him.
3. He will play at a mediocre or slightly above average level. I think the guy can ball so this seems unlikely to me but if he protects himself and is really inaccurate and interception prone, we won't be going far in the playoffs. In this scenario, I believe the Eagles sign him to a Dalton contract. If he gets hurt (technically scenario 4) while playing like this, I think we move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A Dalton contract in 2020 is probably like $30m per lol.

Jimmy G is another guy who could end up anywhere between "League MVP" and "eternally injured" based on if he can figure out how to avoid season-ending kill shots or not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Wentz played incredible MVP-caliber football during the Eagles super bowl run so there’s no reason to think he won’t be at least as good or better now, maybe a game or two of knocking off rust

yeah quarterbacks maintain mvp level performances all the time, just look at Matt Ryan, Rich Gannon, Cam Newton, Steve McNair...

I think he's gonna look significantly improved from last year but I'm not hanging my hat on "guaranteed mvp quality season" just yet

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Trent Williams is holding out for a better contract.

Washington is hosed.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

With the 6th pick of the 2019 NFL Draft the New York Football Giants selected Duke Quarterback Daniel Jones.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

indigi posted:

yeah quarterbacks maintain mvp level performances all the time, just look at Matt Ryan, Rich Gannon, Cam Newton, Steve McNair...

I think he's gonna look significantly improved from last year but I'm not hanging my hat on "guaranteed mvp quality season" just yet

Yeah sure, I just meant that if he is healthy he is not any sort of weak link and is a great QB. Ryan and Newton have continued to play well when not injured.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I actually had thought (before looking it up) that Wentz has an uncharacteristically ugly season last year. The Eagles definitely didn't look great (and I do remember that he was missing open passes and seemed to have some difficulties) and also they went 5-6 during that time which gave an impression of failure. Individually, though, his numbers for those 11 games weren't bad at all.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wentz was definitely holding on to the ball too long sometimes last year, but his offensive line wasn't doing him any favors. He was also staring down receivers at times. A lot of that could easily have been rust though. He didn't have an off-season.

But yeah, his stats definitely look a lot better than you might have expect just from watching him play. 69% completion, 21/7 td/int? Yeah, I'll take that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cash Monet posted:

With the 6th pick of the 2019 NFL Draft the New York Football Giants selected Duke Quarterback Daniel Jones.

A great tagline for his HoF speech

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Play posted:

I actually had thought (before looking it up) that Wentz has an uncharacteristically ugly season last year. The Eagles definitely didn't look great (and I do remember that he was missing open passes and seemed to have some difficulties) and also they went 5-6 during that time which gave an impression of failure. Individually, though, his numbers for those 11 games weren't bad at all.

All of the starting running backs and defensive backs losing their ligaments really didn't help. When your defense is predicated on aggressive man-to-man cornerback play and your offense uses a lot of run-pass options, those are premium positions.

Winning a playoff game with that roster might actually have been a more impressive accomplishment for Doug Pederson than winning a Super Bowl.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Play posted:

I actually had thought (before looking it up) that Wentz has an uncharacteristically ugly season last year.

he did. The stats looked good but watching the games he didn't look nearly as crisp or confident as he had the previous year, had fallen back into doing the stupid rookie poo poo we'd seen far less of the Superbowl year, and his ball placement - while statistically he still had good accuracy - was off. last year was a combination of a bunch of poo poo that was primed for a Wentz slump, and I think he'll look much better this year (though I'm not ready to peg him as an mvp favorite [or peg him at all, really])

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1136311148775653376?s=20

Welp. If Washington wasn't rebuilding before, they sure as gently caress are now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1136311148775653376?s=20

Welp. If Washington wasn't rebuilding before, they sure as gently caress are now.

v impressed at Washington's transition from soul-crushing sadness-producer to willing cheerleader pimp to enthusiastic murdersurgeon facilitator

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1136778902775500800

lets see those money numbers

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hell yes! I just hope it's not some astronomical figure and is instead in the stratosphere of above average but not Rodgers

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ELO Musk posted:

Hell yes! I just hope it's not some astronomical figure and is instead in the stratosphere of above average but not Rodgers

I've been noticing recently that having mediocre franchise quarterbacks cists pretty much the same money as great franchise quarterbacks. You don't really get a discount appropriate to their value unless they're, like, Blake Bortles

Look at Garoppolo, Cousins, Carr, Dak in the future, etc. Aaron Rodgers isn't gonna make twice as much money even though he's probably twice as good as those guys

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

4 years, 128 million

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

4 years, 128 million

they must be convinced he's back baby, and that's a phenomenal sign

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Play posted:

I've been noticing recently that having mediocre franchise quarterbacks cists pretty much the same money as great franchise quarterbacks. You don't really get a discount appropriate to their value unless they're, like, Blake Bortles

Look at Garoppolo, Cousins, Carr, Dak in the future, etc. Aaron Rodgers isn't gonna make twice as much money even though he's probably twice as good as those guys

Wentz is better than all of the guys you've listed but I still don't know how I feel about putting him on the pedestal we just did. I think it might have been better to force Wentz to play out this year because our team is in make or break mode.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
107 guaranteedndan sejdmsykts

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Amy Pole Her posted:

107 guaranteedndan sejdmsykts

Is that right? Holy macaroni. :eyepop:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dak deserves his future bigger contract than Wentz as hes the better qb

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm super shook about wentz ever returning to form.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I think this prediction still looks good:

NotWearingPants posted:

Wentz was #1 in QBR in 2017 and #12 in 2018. I think he will finish somewhere in the middle of that next season.

But I'm leaning more towards the first scenario so I may throw $100 on Wentz to win MVP.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ELO Musk posted:

Wentz is better than all of the guys you've listed but I still don't know how I feel about putting him on the pedestal we just did. I think it might have been better to force Wentz to play out this year because our team is in make or break mode.

Yeah sorry, in Wentz's case I thought there should be a discount due to them committing to him after two injury-shortened years. He's a good QB, it's all about health and the team showing faith in him (there is risk there) should be rewarded by a cheaper contract imo.

But maybe this means he's healthy and looking really good, who knows

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Metapod posted:

Dak deserves his future bigger contract than Wentz as hes the better qb

lol this is a wild one even for you

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Titans fans flip the goodness scale man, it’s a condition of rooting for them and they’re not to be disparaged for it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Pay Wentz now before he wins the SB this year. It makes sense.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Carson Wentz is going to be the next Sam Bradford.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles front office is wayyyy smarter than any of us. So, I'm gonna bet on their opinion.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Carson Wentz is going to be the next Sam Bradford.

this is my primary fear

e: although I'd argue he's already better than Bradford ever was

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

Eagles front office is wayyyy smarter than any of us. So, I'm gonna bet on their opinion.

As proven by his... uh... people’s choice award.. and uh... 89s pure devotion.

He’s got tons of potential but he hasn’t done poo poo yet. This is a hugeeeeeee gamble. They’re paying him like he’s a superstar already.

But as someone above said - dude wins a Super Bowl this year and it’s a smart signing. The NFL is nuts

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s got tons of potential but he hasn’t done poo poo yet. This is a hugeeeeeee gamble. They’re paying him like he’s a superstar already.

But as someone above said - dude wins a Super Bowl this year and it’s a smart signing. The NFL is nuts

I mean he's done loads more than Jimmy G who also got paid (not that he should be the standard of smart contracts). Really he's done plenty as far as his play goes, it's his injury history, especially his back, that is scary. I've never known a back to just get better. Usually they only continue to grow worse over time unless it's muscle-related.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/1137037041177440257

If that's true that's pretty solid

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Yeah, it was a great deal for the Eagles.

Amy Pole Her posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? He's going to be making less than Kirk Cousins.

Wentz is a top 5 QB and the Eagles just locked him up throughout his prime for the price of an average NFL QB.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm super shook about wentz ever returning to form.

I'm not, but let's say Wentz never returns to form. Let's say he's only ever going to be as good as we saw last season. He's still worth the money they paid him because that's how much top 15 QBs make.

Wentz's floor is Dak Prescott's ceiling.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NotWearingPants posted:

Wentz's floor is Dak Prescott's ceiling.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Post your top 5 for the class please

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Post your top 5 for the class please

Dude if Carson Wentz turns out to be a bum, you'll know it because the Eagles will trade him to the Dolphins for a 2nd round pick and he will sit alongside AJ Feeley in the pantheon of the Dolphins' top quarterbacks post-Marino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

Dude if Carson Wentz turns out to be a bum, you'll know it because the Eagles will trade him to the Dolphins for a 2nd round pick and he will sit alongside AJ Feeley in the pantheon of the Dolphins' top quarterbacks post-Marino.

Not sure what the Dolphins have to do with my question outside of you being offended I asked your top 5 and this being your counter...

You said he’s top 5. I find it curious because I have 5 guys i take over him if we’re planning next two years of success and I’m curious where yours lines up

So what’s your top 5?