Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've gotta say; while all day smoking has been fun; my favorite technique (and best results) so far has been water bath + kamodo finish. Consistent as gently caress results with the great smoked flavor. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Walked posted:

I've gotta say; while all day smoking has been fun; my favorite technique (and best results) so far has been water bath + kamodo finish. Consistent as gently caress results with the great smoked flavor. Goddamn.

I prefer doing brisket start to finish in the smoker, but I have converted to sous vide pork shoulder for ~20hrs @ 165F finished in a smoker (or oven if I'm lazy) for 2 hours and the results are fantastic. I have a large enough Cambro to do 2x average shoulders at one time and like you said, it's extremely consistent with very little to worry about. Everyone always raves about it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

I. M. Gei posted:

If your budget is really that high, why not go just a bit higher and spring for a Big Green Egg?

Chargriller Akorns are also pretty great, and a whole lot cheaper. Like several hundred dollars cheaper.

Costco has Louisiana Grills 24" Ceramic Kamado Charcoal Grill for like $599.99 now

I guess it used to be called Pit Boss a few years ago, same company and would maybe need some slight modification.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Literally just finished catching up on this thread over the past few weeks - I had 200+ posts unread - and between this thread and the local smoking FB group my mate invited me to I'm sad I can't buy a kamado as a) it won't fit on my apartment balcony, and b) I don't want the building manager to call the firies like they did when I still had my Kettle out on the balcony (it now lives with my dad's Kettle at my parent's place)

On the plus side, I have two Kettles I can use whenever I want

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chemmy posted:

I had a 6.5lb butt on the smoker Monday and after 11 hours it was at 180. Foiled it and refrigerated, heated it to 195 in the oven Tuesday night and pulled at 200 and it was perfect.

Shrug.

How did it get to 200 in a 195F oven? Are you a wizard?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Subjunctive posted:

Most middle-of-the-road home ovens swing 30-50 degrees around their set point. With only on/off control of the heating element (assuming electric), you are bound to have wild swings. One of my ovens is +/-25 around the set point, the other is -40/+0 around the set point.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think that he meant the oven was set at 195 but that was what he was trying to bring the temp up to.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes. I pulled it out of a 300 degree oven when the internal temp hit 195.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For those with probe thermometers, toss one in an oven. You will be amazed what the swings are and you'll appreciate your smoker a bit more at its consistency.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yet another reason to cook everything in the smoker.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Spiggy posted:

Yet another reason to cook everything in the smoker.

:emptyquote:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

For those with probe thermometers, toss one in an oven. You will be amazed what the swings are and you'll appreciate your smoker a bit more at its consistency.

Yeah, I did that with my smoke and if the oven is set to 325, it was a constant seesaw from 300 to 350 and back down again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Pour out a little bit of rub dust my friends, pretty much determined it is time to retire my Chargriller Akorn.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Who ever suggested getting the food saver was dead on a bunch of pages back. Did 2 pork shoulders on the smoker day before a party and they came out great cooking them in the vac bags.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
“He’s just resting — waiting for a new life to come.”

Finally getting back to the smoker! Have only done a rack of ribs so far this year.

My buddies are doing a little cookout this evening, so it seemed like a perfect occasion to smoke up a nice pork shoulder and bring it along.

Meat just hit the smoker.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Twlight posted:

Who ever suggested getting the food saver was dead on a bunch of pages back. Did 2 pork shoulders on the smoker day before a party and they came out great cooking them in the vac bags.

Smoking it inside a vac bag??

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
He said he smoked them the day before the party. I can confirm that reheating bbq inside vac bags is the best way to reheat, comes out almost as good as fresh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

arisu posted:

He said he smoked them the day before the party. I can confirm that reheating bbq inside vac bags is the best way to reheat, comes out almost as good as fresh.

Ohhhh

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Any ideas how long can I let a pork shoulder rest before I start to pull it apart?

I think it might be done around at 3pm and I’m bringing it to a cookout for 7pm. Should I just let it rest until it arrives and shred it there?

Wrap in tinfoil?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Any ideas how long can I let a pork shoulder rest before I start to pull it apart?

I think it might be done around at 3pm and I’m bringing it to a cookout for 7pm. Should I just let it rest until it arrives and shred it there?

Wrap in tinfoil?

Wrap in foil, stuff it between some hot towels in a insulated bag/cooler, have hot pork for hours and hours.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And don't try to shred it cold. Ends poorly.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

El Jebus posted:

Wrap in foil, stuff it between some hot towels in a insulated bag/cooler, have hot pork for hours and hours.

Will do this. Thanks.

Just got through the stall so this thing won’t be ready for probably another couple hours.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Will do this. Thanks.

Just got through the stall so this thing won’t be ready for probably another couple hours.

Every pork shoulder I've ever smoked:

Hour 3: Oh crap this is going to be done way early
Hour 8: Maybe I can make an appetizer to hold people over until the pork is done

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hour 8: Maybe I can make an appetizer to hold people over until the pork is done

Been on for almost 9 1/2 hours now and we’re at 173 degrees. At this rate I MIGHT be on time for the cookout haha!

I had a feeling I should start as soon as I woke up. Good choice...

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 8, 2019

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah, every one that I do seems to take longer than the last. The one I did last weekend took about 17ish hours including an hour getting blasted in the oven but it came out looking and tasting fantastic.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

This forever

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Spiggy posted:

Yeah, every one that I do seems to take longer than the last. The one I did last weekend took about 17ish hours including an hour getting blasted in the oven but it came out looking and tasting fantastic.

What a beauty!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

11 hours total in the vertical smoker over Kingsford and applewood.

I may have gone a little overboard with the twine, but whatever don’t kink shame.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Isn't this the truth. Started a shoulder Friday late morning/afternoon aiming for late night, thinking it was small and the stall couldn't be that bad. Welp made for a good lunch today instead.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol, yep.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Apparently I’m reverse searing a tomahawk ribeye for Father’s Day. :toot:

Hopefully I won’t forget to post the pics this time.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Does the thread have a current recommendation for baby's first smoker? Have two small kids so probably electric or gas? I just know I'm not going to be able to babysit it like I used to with the Weber kettle and a smokenator. Not looking to spend the bank so the big kamado style ones are out for now.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

MES 40" (masterbuilt electric smoker) with the a-maz-n pellet smoker (additional optional add on $40).

Its fire and forget smoking.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MES.

For more versatility, Chargriller Akorn for cheapy egg cooking with charcoal. 10% off coupon can be had for $270 or so and it is also basically fire and forget when you have the vents placed right.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Braggo posted:

Does the thread have a current recommendation for baby's first smoker? Have two small kids so probably electric or gas? I just know I'm not going to be able to babysit it like I used to with the Weber kettle and a smokenator. Not looking to spend the bank so the big kamado style ones are out for now.

Masterbuilt electric smoker is easy to deal with. Can be found around a hundred bucks. Set and forget and load wood chips in Evey hour or so for the first bit of smoking.

Also get a decent probe thermometer with remote capabilities

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been working on perfecting my smoked wings and finally broke down and bought a Vortex. Hot drat does this thing work as advertised, even if it is a little spendy. I've had fried wings that were more soggy than what we were pulling off the smoker yesterday. Continue to tweak the buffalo style sauce as well, which only keeps getting better and better too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

My god this pic is to loving die for. Do Want.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Gwaihir posted:

Makes me want to make more wings... hmm...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

qutius posted:

I've been working on perfecting my smoked wings and finally broke down and bought a Vortex. Hot drat does this thing work as advertised, even if it is a little spendy. I've had fried wings that were more soggy than what we were pulling off the smoker yesterday. Continue to tweak the buffalo style sauce as well, which only keeps getting better and better too.

Honest question, where did you order it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Honest question, where did you order it from?

I ordered it up from Island Outdoor's amazon store, they are licensed resellers.

El Jebus posted:

Makes me want to make more wings... hmm...

Dude, same here. They were so loving good!

Gwaihir posted:

Thanks! They really did turn out great. Can't wait to continue to experiment, but I feel like this was the last piece to the puzzle for the best what we're after with smoked wings. Used a hell of a lot less charcoal and time, too, which is another nice bonus.