Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EwokEntourage posted:

Getting sworn in to practice before a federal court is some procedural bullshit you make your secretary handle
It was pretty cool to get sworn in at SCOTUS. (Did not give my boss's boss a gift) We did get a gift from the Clerk, though. He took us on a tour of the building, which included his office with its picture of him and Elvis when they were both in the Army. We told him about our office's Elvis shrine, so he sent us a copy of his picture for our shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Aw man you guys got to swear and everything?

I took two oaths, one for my legal degree (it qualifies as a seperate professional title "jurist" with what they apparently call a "Master of Laws" degree though I've never felt very masterful) and one for my license (advocate).

Jurist one is «Aldri vitende at ville vige fra Rett og Retfærdighed, mindre raade nogen til ufornødne Processer eller i andre Maader med sine Raad befordre nogen uretvis Sag eller Intention» which is pretty much verbatim from a royal decree of 10.02.1736 (which is why it's danish and not norwegian, it's called history pick up a book). It loosely translates into "Never to stray from law or justice, nor advise needless process or in other ways with their advice forward any unjust cause or intention".

Advocate one is: "He shall as an advocate with great care execute such cases as are entrusted him, refrain from all dishonesty and in all fulfill his duties conscientiously." Ha! As if! Is what I didn't say to that at least in front of anyone. As an oath it's kinda boring.

joat mon posted:

It was pretty cool to get sworn in at SCOTUS. (Did not give my boss's boss a gift) We did get a gift from the Clerk, though. He took us on a tour of the building, which included his office with its picture of him and Elvis when they were both in the Army. We told him about our office's Elvis shrine, so he sent us a copy of his picture for our shrine.

Now that is freaking cool. Holy poo poo.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

When I passed Louisiana it was the group ceremony which was whatever.

When I passed California I couldn't do the group ceremony due to a hiccup with my background check. So instead my boss made arrangements with the local supervising judge of the family law bench so I got sworn in with just family and coworkers present. That was pretty cool.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
See, that is what you americans are loving great at. Ceremony and pomp and having special moments with family. We don't have any of that poo poo. Closest thing was my graduation and I was alone for that, no family there. But I'm not bitter.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If anyone's curious how we do in Western Australia, they livestream the ceremony and provide an archived video of the most recent batch here.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
i just assumed you drank your bar admission out of a shoe or something since you're all degenerate fucks

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Organza Quiz posted:

If anyone's curious how we do in Western Australia, they livestream the ceremony and provide an archived video of the most recent batch here.

Same for Victoria http://scvwebcast.com/admissions/. I think they livestream it due to issues with the size of the building. They're very strict about you only get two people to go with you, no ifs, ands, or buts. Which reminds me, I really should tell my other family members about it being livestreamed so they can watch. I keep forgetting to do that lol whoops.

Soothing Vapors posted:

i just assumed you drank your bar admission out of a shoe or something since you're all degenerate fucks

Lol if you don't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I swore in at the american legion during my indigent veteran legal aid clinic. FL requires you get a judge or notary to sign off on your oath form and send it in.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

NYC was a mass ceremony, surprise surprise. But it was at the AD courthouse and all, so got to show my parents around the very pretty building and such. We all signed this book individually though, and after we were admitted en masse on motion, we did get harangued by one of the old crotchety appeals judges to act ethically and not be dicks, with the unspoken subtext of "... unlike most of the present NY bar."

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Our bar admission is basically a roast. They talk for like a half hour about how bad and dumb you are and how embarrassing your life was, then say "nah, in all seriousness, he's great and will do great, let him in"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I swore in at the american legion during my indigent veteran legal aid clinic. FL requires you get a judge or notary to sign off on your oath form and send it in.

I think I had to get mine notarized as well, I had a teller at the bank to do it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the DA:I game dev who wrote the romance tree for Blackwall stares at their in-house game stats of "Total Player Interactions: 35,582,623 / Times Romanced: 0" and softly weeps into his local football team reusable coffee cup.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe I'll start another DA campaign. Three Kingdoms is pretty good though. And I've still got God of War and the last of us sitting unopened for my PS4.

I should give myself an injury serious enough to give me the time I need to game like I want.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

terrorist ambulance posted:

Maybe I'll start another DA campaign. Three Kingdoms is pretty good though. And I've still got God of War and the last of us sitting unopened for my PS4.

I should give myself an injury serious enough to give me the time I need to game like I want.

Jesus. Get in on those.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m planning on getting the new Hitman in the next Steam sale. Maybe Pathologic 2, but I know I won’t get right to playing that.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm sitting around right now looking at my massive steam library wondering what I want to play, but I don't really feel like playing anything because everything takes effort.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

terrorist ambulance posted:

And I've still got God of War and the last of us sitting unopened for my PS4.

Legitimately two of the best games ever made. Significantly better than DA. I would get in on that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The last of us is one of a kind, very memorable game. Haven’t played God of War but most anything is better that DA:I

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt is far and away the best video game ever made, even adjusted for era.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt is far and away the best video game ever made, even adjusted for era.

Maybe not the best video game ever made, but pretty close, sure. I really can't think of a single thing about it I dislike.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

See that’s how I feel about God of War. That game is drat near perfect and I can’t think of a single thing I would change except maybe getting rid of the crow collectibles.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe posted:

See that’s how I feel about God of War. That game is drat near perfect and I can’t think of a single thing I would change except maybe getting rid of the crow collectibles.

Nah, too many weaknesses in the source material. There were several inconsistencies with the Poetic Edda.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Nah, too many weaknesses in the source material. There were several inconsistencies with the Poetic Edda.

Defer to you on that (you loving heathen) but one other thing I just thought of is the boss fights get kinda samey.

But yeah everyone with a PS4 should play God of War.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Actually they did a freaking fantastic job with the entire thing and I'm extremely impressed, even though I don't own a console and probably won't ever play it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

blarzgh posted:

This is also true. I think, in some shape or form, the best games I've played in the last 15 years or so are:

Witcher 3
God of War
Last of Us
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne/Sekiro (pick whichever you prefer, I'd say Bloodborne but both are just flat out incredible)
Red Dead Redemption

(I'm super partial to Persona 5 as well but I leave it out because it doesn't have the broad appeal like those games above.)

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 7, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

the winner is alpha centuari but the witcher III can be runner-up

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Maybe not the best video game ever made, but pretty close, sure. I really can't think of a single thing about it I dislike.

The island part sucks

evilweasel posted:

the winner is alpha centuari but the witcher III can be runner-up

Yeah

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

The island part sucks

What, Noman?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Plus, I reinstalled last winter to discover 60 FUCKIN HOURS of DLC that was somehow even better than the original campaign.

Having read the books in between playing the original and playing the DLC, so finding out what happened to one of my favorite characters and the treatment they gave him made it even better.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I guess he means Skellige but that means he's wrong, so

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

I guess he means Skellige but that means he's wrong, so

Well, I'm pretty sure Noman is an island.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
1. Halo 2
2. The Witcher 3
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Final Fantasy 3
5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Overwatch
8. Goldeneye
9. CoD: Modern Warfare 2
10. Metal Gear Solid IV

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
1. Civilization 4
2. Warcraft 2
3. Quake 2
4. Doom
5. Starcraft
6. Diablo 2
7. Duke 3D
8. Super Mario Brothers 3
9. Skyrim
10.The Legend of Zelda

Fight me.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I don't remember the name, just that it was annoying and I didn't really care about the guy's dumb kids and I kept falling off cliffs, so I stopped playing. Also I had to go back to work so I didn't have time to play it.

sullat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 7, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

1. DayZ
2. Baldur's Gate II
3. The Witcher 3
4. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
5. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
8. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
9. Fallout 1 & 2
10. Arcanum

Honorable mention Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Deus Ex (original), Legend of Zelda: Windwaker.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

I don't remember the name, just that it was annoying and I didn't really care about the guy's dumb kids and I kept falling off cliffs, so I stopped playing. Also I had to go back to work so I didn't have time to play it.

Yeah that's Skellige, but I'm also pretty sure Noman is an island.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah that's Skellige, but I'm also pretty sure Noman is an island.

Maybe one of the later levels, didn't get past the other one.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

Maybe one of the later levels, didn't get past the other one.

Well, it's hard to do all by yourself.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Theme: "You can take the goon out of 1998, but you can't take the 1998 out of the goon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Theme: Magic and Forests