Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

Are we sure this guy is like an actual lawyer at this point

At this rate, even if he is he won't be for long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Getting disbarred and ruining my career to own the libs

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lol it seems they are getting a little mad that their grift is being exposed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

mallratcal posted:

lol it seems they are getting a little mad that their grift is being exposed.

I'm not even sure if it's just that. There's a lot to unpack here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Slight change of gears but notorious retail dickhead Dennis Barger got himself banned from all Diamond events for the next year. He's also claiming Mark Waid threw a book at him despite numerous witnesses claiming otherwise. Dennis has had some pretty negative things to say about women and SJWs so he's appropriate for this thread.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
They're really getting desperate.

https://twitter.com/JurisDudence/status/1137035595384049665
https://twitter.com/J_C_Stewart/status/1137038381580341248
(Truth is a defense, even in Texas)

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 7, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was going to say Greg is popehat adjacent so this could get interesting real fast and then it did!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1137059835567136768

Is... is this the biggest case Beard and co have ever tried?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a lawyer and I've read the twitter thread and holy loving poo poo is this Jordan guy the biggest idiot in the goddamn world.

Also reading through vic's lawyer's pleadings and jesus Christ, I cannot believe that this poo poo is real.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 7, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, like IANAL, but if truth wasn't a defense against slander wouldn't that be a massive violation of the first amendment? Every single news station or paper would have been sued out of existence in Texas.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Monaghan posted:

I'm a lawyer and I've read the twitter thread and holy loving poo poo is this Jordan guy the biggest idiot in the goddamn world.

Also reading through vic's lawyer's pleadings and jesus Christ, I cannot believe that this poo poo is real.

Yeah they're real dumb
https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1137020295200616448?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, truth is not a defense makes sense if you think about it as lying to distort reality is a fundamental plank of fascism, which all these people subscribe to

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, like IANAL, but if truth wasn't a defense against slander wouldn't that be a massive violation of the first amendment? Every single news station or paper would have been sued out of existence in Texas.

The First Amendment is something they don't get (for as much as they cite it) and how it trumps basically their entire case.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
A full document from Vic's lawyers has been posted, with some real dumb stuff, including "Vic can't be a criminal because he has fans."
https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1137043676209864706?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's so cute when they try to lawyer.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1137081561243881472

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They....they cited the Bible?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They....they cited the Bible?

I've had a lawyer said that they wish that I would pray about the matter and God would surely tell me that me and my client's positions were wrong. .

He's also a horribly incompetent lawyer! coincidence?

Edit- seriously though saying someone misquoted the bible in a defamation case is so goddamn irrelevant that I don't know where to begin.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 7, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcM1kTZm-nM

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Is there the equivalent of PACER that we can look this up in? I want to know when the MtD hearing is.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Piell posted:

(Truth is a defense, even in Texas)

Part of the reason the UK's libel laws are so horrible is because truth is not a defense there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Vic having a bad Lawyer isn’t surprising after everything that happened with Trump and Rudy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Vic having a bad Lawyer isn’t surprising after everything that happened with Trump and Rudy

It is just amazing how loving bad he is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Like a lot of things about this hellscape we now inhabit, Vic Mignogna's lawyers seem like they leapt into the world from a 2015 Onion article.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

It is just amazing how loving bad he is.

At least he isn’t Avenanti.

Maybe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's still funny to watch the Real Lawyers who have been doxxed by professionals be tickled pink by the farms' amateur hour.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

It's still funny to watch the Real Lawyers who have been doxxed by professionals be tickled pink by the farms' amateur hour.

Popehat seems to be having fun
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1137210889268912129

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
https://twitter.com/TEANTACLES/status/1137336739582922752

:psyduck: Kinda surprised the woman who wrote Mockingbird is TERF.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TheHan posted:

https://twitter.com/TEANTACLES/status/1137336739582922752

I got the impression she was the archetypal middle-class white "activist" whose interests and agitations began and ended with making her own way up the ladder, and clearing the path for people like herself. Any nods to intersectionality in such cases are merely a sop or a gesture, that quickly curdles into resentment when confronted with any pushback.

I honestly believe the first couple issues of the comic are trans-exclusionary simply because she's not a very good writer or world-builder, who fell into building a myopic and self-centered version of a dystopia. I think however that since then she's devolved into genuinely nasty and hateful poo poo like the above, and probably even does hate trans women, largely predicated on the fact that they said things to her that she didn't want to hear.

She's the pits.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, she just had an issue out where she specifically had menstruation as something that occurred in girls and boys.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Archyduchess posted:

I got the impression she was the archetypal middle-class white "activist" whose interests and agitations began and ended with making her own way up the ladder, and clearing the path for people like herself. Any nods to intersectionality in such cases are merely a sop or a gesture, that quickly curdles into resentment when confronted with any pushback.

I honestly believe the first couple issues of the comic are trans-exclusionary simply because she's not a very good writer or world-builder, who fell into building a myopic and self-centered version of a dystopia. I think however that since then she's devolved into genuinely nasty and hateful poo poo like the above, and probably even does hate trans women, largely predicated on the fact that they said things to her that she didn't want to hear.

She's the pits.

so yup, white feminism

But anyway, christ at those panels

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

TheHan posted:

Apparently John Cleese is a white nationalist, so who the gently caress knows any more?

gently caress, 2019, the year where you the phrase "Kill your Heroes," becomes drat near law.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She recently went full terf on Twitter, and yeah, she's shown her colors on this since criticism of issue 1 came out, but this is still really lovely

Also

TheHan posted:

Kinda surprised the woman who wrote Mockingbird is TERF.

for the record, white feminism and being trans friendly should never be expected to go hand in hand. In fact always assume the opposite

site fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 8, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Don't Ask Me About My Feminist Agenda, It Might Hurt My Feelings

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheHan posted:

I'm not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. Guess I can toss those books on the sell pile.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gotta love Mags Visaggio in the threads, defending Cain with a good ol' one-two of "well it didn't offend ME" and "I didn't say she was perfect."
Totally agreed on both counts, Mags, thanks for contributing to the discussion!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. Guess I can toss those books on the sell pile.

I still have plenty of Nick Spencer on the shelf, and I'll buy more Bedlam if they relaunch it as I hear is planned. Death of the author is your friend.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm glad my wife and I dropped that book months ago. Besides this lovely stuff, the book was also loving boring. She spent like 7 issues building up this world without actually doing anything in the plot. I forget who said something along the lines of "at some point you need to stop building your world and start to actually write", but that was Maneaters to a T.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jedit posted:

I still have plenty of Nick Spencer on the shelf, and I'll buy more Bedlam if they relaunch it as I hear is planned. Death of the author is your friend.

This is not at all what Barthes was writing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

“Am I so out of touch? No, it’s the trans who are wrong” *pulls a chricton*

I’m at least glad she left off the twitter usernames (or was forced to by editors)