Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm listening to History of the Cold War (http://www.historyofthecoldwarpodcast.com/) and i'm generally liking it -- I prefer longer episodes than the 10 or 15 minute ones in this podcast, but that's not a big deal. What is really annoying me though is that the host will often repeat paragraphs verbatim from past podcasts. Does he stop doing this at some point? It's frustrating because I think I've accidentally chosen an episode I've listened to before, but nope, it's just the host repeating the exact same series of thoughts about collective agriculture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

webmeister posted:

aka The Dan Carlin Effect

Sheepishly explaining that his entire series on the fall of the roman republic was just supposed to be a biography of Cleopatra is maybe the most endearing Dan Carlin has ever been.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Duncan's Russian Revolution series starts next week

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Where's he going to start? 1905? Earlier?

E: and ending in 1991 presumably

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

Where's he going to start? 1905? Earlier?

E: and ending in 1991 presumably

1st International

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
His plan right now is to end with the death of Lenin. After that, it's more totalitarianism and Stalinism than anything else.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Can anyone recommend any podcasts on (is possible, simplified) history of Judaism? I've been trying to find some for a person who's ESL and has little knowledge on the subject. So far, all I've found are ones that do complete deep dives (not a bad thing, but the names/terminologies would probably go over their heads) or light banter about life as a Jewish person in the modern day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Schlinky posted:

Can anyone recommend any podcasts on (is possible, simplified) history of Judaism? I've been trying to find some for a person who's ESL and has little knowledge on the subject. So far, all I've found are ones that do complete deep dives (not a bad thing, but the names/terminologies would probably go over their heads) or light banter about life as a Jewish person in the modern day.

Maybe just give them something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Jews-Story-People/dp/B005DIZA90/ or https://www.audible.com/pd/A-History-of-the-Jews-Audiobook/B002VAA8EK

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Well drat, didn’t even consider looking into audible - much appreciated, will look into the catalogue!

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Schlinky posted:

Well drat, didn’t even consider looking into audible - much appreciated, will look into the catalogue!

How on earth does anyone listen to history podcasts without being constantly reminded that audible exists?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

oath2order posted:

How on earth does anyone listen to history podcasts without being constantly reminded that audible exists?

Ad deafness, of course. All podcast listeners develop it sooner or later.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Listening to the FPlus and hearing one of their "squarespace is not a law firm" ad-speak gibberish sessions helps that process along a good bit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

oath2order posted:

Skip Forward 30 Seconds

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

webmeister posted:

Skip Forward 30 Seconds

I have forward set to 60 seconds then 30 rewind. Great for skipping long commercials, just hit back once after you get back to the show.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I listen to all that poo poo like a good boy. I love my 5-speed toothbrush!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Snowy posted:

I have forward set to 60 seconds then 30 rewind. Great for skipping long commercials, just hit back once after you get back to the show.

I do the same thing. Good for skipping boring parts of news shows or other things I don't care about as well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The random garbage that ends up on podcast advertising can be pretty funny though. I've been listening to Casefile lately, a straight-faced true crime podcast that's quite slickly produced. But the first ad break started with the host saying "We need to talk....... about constipation."

I was a bit horrified because his ad reads usually have a personal endorsement about how great their mattress or razor or whatever is. Thankfully this one didn't.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

webmeister posted:

The random garbage that ends up on podcast advertising can be pretty funny though. I've been listening to Casefile lately, a straight-faced true crime podcast that's quite slickly produced. But the first ad break started with the host saying "We need to talk....... about constipation."

I was a bit horrified because his ad reads usually have a personal endorsement about how great their mattress or razor or whatever is. Thankfully this one didn't.

"This razor from Dollar Shave Club worked a little too well because the victim bled to death from a close, smooth shave."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

webmeister posted:

I love his ad reads because he usually reads the ads exactly the same way he talks about serial killers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1136846478121394179

Looks like its one of those who would win in a fight episodes

Edit: Lol, its 2 god damned hour long Addendum episode

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dad history Dan Carlin is best Dan Carlin.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

This is the worst history take I've heard in a while

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's the topic? I can't listen to it right now.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The fact that Alexander has a chance of defeating Duke of Wellington really makes you question the nature of technological progress uh ok

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 7, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It takes 28 minutes to get to the main topic: Caesar vs William the Conqueror. Oh well, I still love you Dan.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Let me guess: Caesar wins?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm fine with this topic.

Not because I think it is very meaningful, but because I'm sure I'll learn a lot about how armed forces from different eras fought, were organized, supplied, led and so on.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cockblocktopus posted:

Let me guess: Caesar wins?

I didn't finish it, but there's now way he doesn't, right? Like Dan's already brought up how much bigger and better trained his army had to have been.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dan's said that thing about Alexander at Waterloo before; iirc he thinks that the adoption of rifled cannons is when the equipment begins to overshadow elan and discipline.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Gotta give a shoutout to Centuries of Sound. They do audio mixes that go through an entire year of songs, recordings and speeches. Right now they just finished 1914 and it's eery to hear comedy performances talking about how the Germans are gonna lose this war, to a person saying 'I hope this is the last ever war', to cheery war marches.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

stratofarius posted:

Gotta give a shoutout to Centuries of Sound. They do audio mixes that go through an entire year of songs, recordings and speeches. Right now they just finished 1914 and it's eery to hear comedy performances talking about how the Germans are gonna lose this war, to a person saying 'I hope this is the last ever war', to cheery war marches.

that's a good find, nice

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

stratofarius posted:

Oh dang, that sounds really interesting. Thanks!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hell yeah it does thanks for the link ✊🏼

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have a recommendation for an Age of Exploration podcast? Or, failing that, exploration in general?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an Age of Exploration podcast? Or, failing that, exploration in general?

Not quite what you're looking for, but close enough, I've been loving The Pirate History Podcast by Matt Albers. He covers a lot of that stuff in the early episodes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Not quite what you're looking for, but close enough, I've been loving The Pirate History Podcast by Matt Albers. He covers a lot of that stuff in the early episodes

Ha! That's what inspired the question.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

stratofarius posted:

Neat podcast. I really wish there was a host to talk about and give context to the sound bites.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Old Swerdlow posted:

Neat podcast. I really wish there was a host to talk about and give context to the sound bites.

They have it on their Patreon. I'm thinking of subscribing to that cause they don't have a lot of patrons and are doing tremendous work.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
cargo culting Mike Duncan's tweets to see what's ahead
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1139226866953445377

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I know that when he was finishing up History of Rome, Duncan was discussing that his next podcast might be a history of the US political parties and their realignments, so New Deal would fit squarely into that project if he ever does that