Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I could recognize that lovely Feyd anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Temaukel posted:

I could recognize that lovely Feyd anywhere

Loving the new leather speedo!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Temaukel posted:

The emperor looks like a younger @DuneAuthor

Makes sense, they're both failures who are doing their best to destroy their family legacy.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

skasion posted:

I always figured the Baron was bald tbh. His baby-likeness is stressed repeatedly. Ginger Harkonnens came from Lynch, Feyd is introduced as dark haired.

I kind of think of him with a thick, fat neck and a big head and he's got this little sort of stylized crop near the top of his head that he applies product to twice daily. Probably dolphin oil.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

red green and black are the colors of postcolonial pan africanism, the atreides should all be black imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

free hubcaps posted:

red green and black are the colors of postcolonial pan africanism, the atreides should all be black imo

One of the Dune RTS games (Emperor?) had the Atreides duke played by Michael Dorn

e: https://youtu.be/QPcV72y9QB0

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 7, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

skasion posted:

One of the Dune RTS games (Emperor?) had the Atreides duke played by Michael Dorn

e: https://youtu.be/QPcV72y9QB0

my wires are crossing atm

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

free hubcaps posted:

And Harkonnen orange and blue (plus maybe white?) conjures up Dutch colonialism, or less terribly, a sort of clean modern Scandinavian breeziness. Both of which fit I think

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Prolonged Priapism posted:

And Harkonnen orange and blue (plus maybe white?) conjures up Dutch colonialism, or less terribly, a sort of clean modern Scandinavian breeziness. Both of which fit I think

Leaked picture from the set of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I mean, it's a good theory.. Unfortunately Dutch are either associated with orange or blue and white, not orange and blue. Scandinavians (I assume you mean people from the Viking age) are usually associated with brown, red, green, and purple (the last one probably coming from the flower Erica which covered and still covers much of the Jutland Heath, and which is lovely to walk around in during the summer).

Let's run with it though. I'm fully on-board with the Atreides being a different color from how they're traditionally portrayed in the movie and mini-series, but would this also explain the unexpectedly powerful way that the Missionaria Protectiva worked when Paul arrived on Arrakis?
We do know from how Doctor Yueh is described, and from other details, that some traits seem to persist +20k years, so it's fascinating to think about.

I have a vague recollection of reading, perhaps in this book, that it's expected that human generic variation won't last for more than 10-15k years unless groups of people keep themselves intentionally insular, but Frank would've had to have a powerful crystal ball to know that.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 7, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Leto swole af

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1136017090320785409

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I'm re-listening to the audiobook of Dune at the moment.
When Jessica confronts Thufir Hawat about him treating her as the traitor it's emphasised how little general knowledge of Bene Gesserit powers actually is that even the Duke's mentat doesn't know about Voice.
However soon afterwards Harkonnen goons need to know about Voice so that they can be able to hold Jessica captive.

It just makes me mad that this inconsistency is so close together and Frank didn't think "hmm, is there a better way for Jessica to be captive, or should I drop the idea that Hawat doesn't know about Voice?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t read that as Thufir not knowing about Voice. After all he thinks of her as a witch, which implies he accepts that there are some kind of uncanny powers involved. I think the point is that he never really appreciated how powerful Voice is firsthand, or assumed he would be above it. Thufir is a skeptical guy and it’s not like the BGs are totally upfront with everyone about what all their powers are and how they work. He may just figure there’s a healthy amount of mythmaking in descriptions of the Voice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thuffir is a crusty austistic digital-man who can't compute the efficacy of irrational vocal, social, and hormonal cues when presented with an intuitive female

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thufir is portrayed as a fallible individual who's fixated on who he perceives to be a threat (Jessica) almost to the exclusion of the real one (he probably could've rumbled Yueh if he wasn't obsessed with the scary sex witch).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lots of people know about scary witch voice but almost no-one has had it used on them

There I resolved your conundrum let your anger float up into the caramel sky

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Plus the "Voice" isn't really a weird garbled shout from different angles. That was just for the movie. The Voice can be something simple, like asking someone to hold something, getting them to try on a hat, or in some cases, convincing them to give you their CC#.

e. I think it's also implied that there's ways to use it on crowds, too. But it's mostly employed on individuals.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's also only obvious that it's happening when it's used in a blunt and forceful manner. Jessica muses at one point that given time she could make Leto do anything and he'd even think it was all his idea, but she chooses not to.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1137141968063143936

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I always assumed the implication was that the Emperor, informed by the Bene Gesserit possibly, shared this fact with the Harkonnen.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Plus the Baron had personal experience.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Reading God Emperor for the first time in English, I find it incredibly funny that since Duncan gholas have been reduced to a commodity, they are referred to as "the Duncans". This didn't translate into my native language.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

Plus the Baron had personal experience.
Counterpoint: no. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Did you know the Butlerian Jihad was all about abortion?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Actually it was about ethics in post mortem franchise continuation (there is none).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I still like that story better than LORD CYBERTREX 9000.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

andrew smash posted:

It's also only obvious that it's happening when it's used in a blunt and forceful manner. Jessica muses at one point that given time she could make Leto do anything and he'd even think it was all his idea, but she chooses not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uOhTRONUbY

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

D. Ebdrup posted:

Counterpoint: no. :colbert:

not @duneauthor posted:

‘The Baron sampled many pleasures in his youth, and once permitted himself to be seduced. But it was for the genetic purposes of the Bene Gesserit, by one of you.’

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Reading God Emperor for the first time in English, I find it incredibly funny that since Duncan gholas have been reduced to a commodity, they are referred to as "the Duncans". This didn't translate into my native language.

I found that to be the funniest of the Dune books, and I'm not sure how much is intentional.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Can you make gholas of a ghola? And does the same kind of generational degredation you get with copying VHS tapes come in if you do?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Pretty sure you can but that would matter only for the gholas you want to awaken and since the Tleilaxu have it figured out only for the original Duncan, there's no point. Unless we assume that the same process would awaken each Duncan ghola in succession, but since as of God Emperor almost each Duncan carries resentment towards Atreides at the end of their life it's unlikely that the same process (being conditioned to kill Paul) would trigger their awakening.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's like Multiplicity. The Duncans get dumber at the same rate as a bad xerox.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Seriously, I doubt they even need physical DNA. He's their first ghola, so his original "file" is probably available to any Tleilaxu scientist with a laptop or whatever. Easy bake.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I mean in whichever book it was, Duncan learns how to access all memories from every Duncan ever, so I assume is due to some kind of transgenetic noosphere mind-soul connection which I’m totally fine existing in Dune.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I mean in whichever book it was, Duncan learns how to access all memories from every Duncan ever, so I assume is due to some kind of transgenetic noosphere mind-soul connection which I’m totally fine existing in Dune.

It always struck me as a very focused and specific version of the Bene Gesserit genetic memory thing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Frank Herbert's Nude

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Frank Herbert's Nude

lets not

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
@nudeauthor

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ornamented Death posted:

It always struck me as a very focused and specific version of the Bene Gesserit genetic memory thing.

But he’s getting memories of Duncans he has no genetic material from. He’s still made of cells from the original Duncan Prime who got stabbed in the head by Sardukar in Dune 1, that the Bene Tlielax have been shaving bits off of for 3500 years. He’s still genetically that Duncan, minus some conditioning they put in that would make him brainwash-gently caress the first space nun he has sex with, hoping it would be a BG and not an HM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phi230 posted:

Frank Herbert's Nude

Well get him a robe then!