Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goodog posted:

The reviewers, he says, are "slaves to the code" and not "slaves to the branding, products, or experience" as he would prefer, and they unfairly compare the game to better-received titles, such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

This reminded me that I hadn't played PoP in ages, and hey, the trilogy (and 2008) are on GOG. I wasn't even aware they'd had PC ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kenshi has these 2 groups, one are humans who believe they are robots and wear full plate armor and masks. The other are robots who think they're humans who skin humans and wear their flesh. Whats great is that the humans carry repair kits and the robots carry medkits, healing items that they can't use but still carry around because they believe.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah!
I normally only play Hitman is the most ghost melee way possible. No guns, no gadget. Just me, my garotte and an ocean of patience.

But seeing all those suggestions really opened up the game for me and I ended up having way more fun.

Definitely the same for me. The mission stories were such a good way to learn about each level and all the different options and tools at your disposal, and after finishing them I felt very well prepared for going after the challenging stuff like SASO.

The only thing I wish is that Hitman Roulette was an integrated game type rather than off of a fan website. Being given a random mission and random restrictions to gently caress around with on some of the hugely expansive maps like Sapienza and Miami would make it pretty much endlessly replayable.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RyokoTK posted:

Definitely the same for me. The mission stories were such a good way to learn about each level and all the different options and tools at your disposal, and after finishing them I felt very well prepared for going after the challenging stuff like SASO.

The only thing I wish is that Hitman Roulette was an integrated game type rather than off of a fan website. Being given a random mission and random restrictions to gently caress around with on some of the hugely expansive maps like Sapienza and Miami would make it pretty much endlessly replayable.

That’s pretty much what Contract mode is

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Every contract I've poked through seems like a really annoying No Fun Allowed 'kill these five random people in nearly impossible ways each using the five hardest outfits to get' missions, like the 'kaizo' Mario Maker missions I'd always skip that require pixel perfect glitch jumping and if you mess up once you start the whole thing over

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I want to thank BioEnchanted for letting me know about Legends of Troy. It just arrived in the mail today, and yeah, it owns bones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the difference between Hitman Roulette and the actual ingame Contracts system is that Contracts often have 1 specific all-clear route in mind. Unless you puzzle out exactly what the creator did or in what order they did things, it's gonna be much harder than it needs to be. Hitman Roulette, on the other hand, is generated by a bot and so it leaves the 'how's entirely in your lap for you to piece together and experiment on your own.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A few of the Contracts were extremely interesting and creative, and allowed for a lot of flexibility while still working on an odd theme (like killing all of the garbage men in Whittleton). There was one featured contract where you had to kill 5 different randos in Miami and escape within 5 minutes, but the layout of the targets was such that the routing was actually interesting.

Most Contracts are insane bullshit created with exactly one path in mind to complete.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The best way to find good Hitman contracts is to look for 2-4 target contracts and skip any with mandatory complications.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Breath of the Wild... skeletal versions of some of the monsters will come out of the ground to attack you.

I know it's clichéd and well known, but I always loved that in Ocarina of Time, the skeleton mobs that come out at night become larger the more you kill. Same hitpoints, just bigger.

There's videos on YouTube of giant-rear end skeletons existing just by using a cheat to prevent the sun from coming out, and they get super big. It's oddly cute. :3:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

I know it's clichéd and well known, but I always loved that in Ocarina of Time, the skeleton mobs that come out at night become larger the more you kill. Same hitpoints, just bigger.

There's videos on YouTube of giant-rear end skeletons existing just by using a cheat to prevent the sun from coming out, and they get super big. It's oddly cute. :3:

You can also get giant versions of the Leevers from the desert, and the Guays that circle the skies in a few areas. Those two don't stack in size increases like the Stalchildren, though.

The giant Guays freaked me out as a kid. Because when it's up flying you can't really tell the difference, until it swoops down and A: it's the size of Adult Link, and B: it turns out they have these bloodshot red eyes that are creepy as hell to a kid when you're not expecting one and they're suddenly coming at you at night.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I've finally tried the Mad Max game andit's actually pretty fun and simple to get into, although I find some of the controls to be awkward. Chumbucket is a great character. It occurred to me that the Mad Max universe is one place where you could call a character Big Chungus without it sounding like a joke.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TheMostFrench posted:

I've finally tried the Mad Max game andit's actually pretty fun and simple to get into, although I find some of the controls to be awkward. Chumbucket is a great character. It occurred to me that the Mad Max universe is one place where you could call a character Big Chungus without it sounding like a joke.

I love that Grippas' whole thing is pulling Max's head out of his rear end. "You're better than everyone else here, stop pretending you're not kid." is his attitude throughout the game. I love that.

I've got past the part in God of War PS4 that gave me trouble before, and I really like how the big setpiece in Alfheim closes out, currently at the mission to leave the place so exploring the lake to find ~stuff~. I like the visual after Atreus pulls you out of the light and it turns out he had to fight off dozen's of Dark Elves alone because Kratos was gone for hours. Just all the bodies piled up, and Atreus close to the breaking point. Also finally he's calling Kratos out about the whole "Tough love doesn't work without actual love in there too" toxic masculinity BS. Just glad that parts nearly over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the perks in void bastards are extremely good. Through the power of gene twisters I involuntarily ended up 3 feet tall (a positive perk?) and "overly familiar" which replaced all the enemy labels with first names (the game considers this a negative perk).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Digirat posted:

the perks in void bastards are extremely good. Through the power of gene twisters I involuntarily ended up 3 feet tall (a positive perk?) and "overly familiar" which replaced all the enemy labels with first names (the game considers this a negative perk).

You're killing people you know, you monster!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

I involuntarily ended up 3 feet tall (a positive perk?)

The Oddjob Factor

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Cadance of hyrule has made me question if any game has ever had good poison swamp music because holy poo poo its the best dungeon music in the game.

Also they somehow managed to make a entire randomized abbreviated legend of zelda game which is really good. there's just so many little things, like how downstab is a technique that lets you jump across enemies and platform across them, how the first song you hear is a mix of necrodancer 1-1 and the main theme, how they included every well known zelda item and make them work with the rhythm. There's a astonishing level of care put into it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zoig posted:

Cadance of hyrule has made me question if any game has ever had good poison swamp music because holy poo poo its the best dungeon music in the game.

Also they somehow managed to make a entire randomized abbreviated legend of zelda game which is really good. there's just so many little things, like how downstab is a technique that lets you jump across enemies and platform across them, how the first song you hear is a mix of necrodancer 1-1 and the main theme, how they included every well known zelda item and make them work with the rhythm. There's a astonishing level of care put into it.
As a casual/retro Zelda admirer and a fan (and terrible player) of Crypt of the Necrodancer, I thoroughly enjoyed watching my son work his way through portions of Cadence last night. They really did a great job combining the two franchises (if you can call CotN that). I kept telling him to attack a cucco, but he chickened (:haw:) out after only one stab. Which is unfortunate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74rcv7BzpQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Outer Wilds doesn't have combat but it does have a surprisingly robust damage model for your spaceship. Just bumping into something may just cause a damage meter to go up but if you hit something really hard things can start actually breaking. Like your ship's gravity can break and if you're not stopped you're hosed because you get pushed around your ship. Also I somehow ran into something in such a way that it breached the hull and I was ejected into the void of space.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The Outer Wilds doesn't have combat but it does have a surprisingly robust damage model for your spaceship. Just bumping into something may just cause a damage meter to go up but if you hit something really hard things can start actually breaking. Like your ship's gravity can break and if you're not stopped you're hosed because you get pushed around your ship. Also I somehow ran into something in such a way that it breached the hull and I was ejected into the void of space.

Your ship also has an ejector seat that blasts off the entire front half of the ship, even though there's no reason to really use it, and to use it you have to manually mouselook over the switch and raise the cover on the button before you activate it :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zoig posted:

I can't believe I just realized that this came out yesterday, I thought it was coming out next month.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I mean that usually happens with june/july so its understandable.

Also neat thing is instead of picking one overworld song to remix they remixed 4 of them into a 4 minute long song

Since its so recent and I myself enjoy figuring out what songs were used in remixes myself I'm gonna spoil this Its tal tal heights, OOT overworld, NES zelda overworld, and Windwaker.

I have so many nice things I could say about the game. I really like that the zoras are apparently surfers in this and that they used a redesigned version of link to the past zoras.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are some little things in God of War that I've been finding kind of charming now that I'm a bit further into it.

First of all, I like that the axe doesn't just clip through everything with no interruption when it returns, you hear sound effects of it bouncing off a bunch of offscreen poo poo until it reaches you, which reminds me of that moment in Thor Ragnarok in the Sanctum Santorum where he summons his hammer and you hear it just smashing the entire place on the way to him with Thor just sheepishly going "Sorry... sorry... sorry...."

I also like that Kratos is allowed to make funny comments, even if they are purely accidental and just due to his ignorance, like his comment about "This passage seems a bit small for giants..." Also him finally opening up in very small but significant ways after the Alfheim Light beam fiasco is nice too, just little moments of him admitting/explaining his own point of view to Atreus where before he'd have left it unspoken. Other non-main characters definitely pick up the slack being funny as well. Also the elves being moths is a cool visual, the hive was amazing.

The fact that Jormungandr's voice is so powerful it causes the controller to vibrate is a cute touch.

The axe also raises some interesting questions, as it belonged to Atreus's mother first, but it's Kratos' only weapon after her death. Did Kratos fight barehanded while with her, or did he just have a different weapon? Hell, maybe she did all the fighting and Kratos focused on hunting. Kratos was a house husband. It's a good direct contrast to the chains of olympus of old too, one given by the gods and conspiring to drive Kratos mad and make him kill his whole family, and the other given by his family and helping him to become a better person. While also fighting Gods of course.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know it's kinda the general conceit of the game/genre, but I played a few minutes of Doom (2016). and coming off a game that had that stupid you-lose-accuracy-while-doing-anything mechanic in it, it's refreshing as gently caress that I can get a shotgun, close to short range, and actually kill the demon I'm firing at.

In other games I've played lately, it feels like I'd get a shotgun, close to short range, and then miss with half the shells because you had the audacity to run a little bit before firing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

God of War is a good game but they missed a lot of comedic mileage by not having Atreus pose hypotheticals to Kratos that happen to be what happened in earlier games such as “what would you do if you had to push a guy in a cage into a chamber and he thought you would save him but instead you burned him alive” or “what would you do if you needed an old man to read a book but he didn’t want and the easiest way to get him to do it is to smash his head into the podium until you bash his loving brains out and murder him” or “what would you do if you had the opportunity to have threesomes a bunch of times” and kratos looking awkward and going uhh err err BOY

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I really like how Octopath Traveler has healers, but is also not designed in a way that forces you to have one around.

You're still hurting from not having a reliable, non-item source of healing, but you're not completely screwed. That's because characters completely regain their HP and SP on gaining a level, and most of the game's combat system is designed around its 'Break' system: If you hit with an enemy's weakness it takes away a point in their defenses, and if you bring that to zero then they take more damage and can't act for a turn or two. Those two combined mean that, if you've ended up without a healer for whatever reason, you can handle. All you need to do is go loving ham and keep on the offensive to such an extent that you're using level-ups to heal and restore SP, and using Breaks to stop enemies from attacking.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Jun 15, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This is fun - I've just predicted a plot point in God of War simply by recalling Norse Mythology - the reason the Witch freaked out at the mistletoe arrows. In the mythology, Baldur's mother asked every living thing in the world not to harm him, and they all agrees - except she forgot to ask the mistletoe, so it's the only thing that can harm or kill him. That'll probably be Atreus's endgame upgrade

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So for how aggravating the combat in Last Remnant is, I'm actually really enjoying the characters. The main party members have a really fun, casual dynamic I can't really recall too many other JRPGs managing to catch a similar vibe to. It's a bit on the anime side of things, but the personalities aren't overly distilled down to singular tropish behaviors or so exaggerated that they're beyond obnoxious and their interactions with one another are usually believable and the animations for even incidental body language is pretty decent.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BioEnchanted posted:

This is fun - I've just predicted a plot point in God of War simply by recalling Norse Mythology - the reason the Witch freaked out at the mistletoe arrows. In the mythology, Baldur's mother asked every living thing in the world not to harm him, and they all agrees - except she forgot to ask the mistletoe, so it's the only thing that can harm or kill him. That'll probably be Atreus's endgame upgrade

A friend of mine is so nerdy about Norse mythology she managed to predict pretty much the entire plot of the game. She was playing it through after me, wrote a bunch of stuff down early on to show to me, and she was right on every single count.

I sort of managed to guess the same thing you did, but not completely.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like that two of the 9 realms are totally optional side-things. I know that there are a few that just aren't there, the game tells you that, but that two of them are totally unnecessary is fun. I've unlocked one of them, haven't been there yet though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I really like how Octopath Traveler has healers, but is also not designed in a way that forces you to have one around.

You're still hurting from not having a reliable, non-item source of healing, but you're not completely screwed. That's because characters completely regain their HP and SP on gaining a level, and most of the game's combat system is designed around its 'Break' system: If you hit with an enemy's weakness it takes away a point in their defenses, and if you bring that to zero then they take more damage and can't act for a turn or two. Those two combined mean that, if you've ended up without a healer for whatever reason, you can handle. All you need to do is go loving ham and keep on the offensive to such an extent that you're using level-ups to heal and restore SP, and using Breaks to stop enemies from attacking.

Cleretic posted:

My healer (the cleric) is also my best damage-dealer, which is cool as hell. I’ve kitted her out with enough elemental attack gear that her Holy Light attack hits for like 4x the damage of all my other party members, and that was before giving her the scholar subclass to get a bunch of other elemental attacks. Don’t see that in a lot of games and I love it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Depending on the reading, it was Loki passing for the mistletoe and denying her request or him convincing a blind Asgardian to fire an arrow tipped with it at Baldur when he is challenging people to hurt him. Maybe both, who knows..

But you are not very off the mark there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roblo posted:

A friend of mine is so nerdy about Norse mythology she managed to predict pretty much the entire plot of the game. She was playing it through after me, wrote a bunch of stuff down early on to show to me, and she was right on every single count.

I sort of managed to guess the same thing you did, but not completely.

Yeah, if you know anything about Norse mythology then you'll know exactly how the plot will go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My healer (the cleric) is also my best damage-dealer, which is cool as hell. I’ve kitted her out with enough elemental attack gear that her Holy Light attack hits for like 4x the damage of all my other party members, and that was before giving her the scholar subclass to get a bunch of other elemental attacks. Don’t see that in a lot of games and I love it.

Speaking of the secondary jobs, a more aesthetic little thing that I only stumbled on now that I've started using them: It turns out that every character has a unique voiced line for every skill. Not just from their own primary jobs, for all of them. It's especially noticeable for the dancer, who actually calls out her attacks' names.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Be careful about God of War. You will pronounce the word "boy" in the harshest possible way from now on.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Zoig posted:

In Xenoblade the music that plays at night in the Satori Marsh is loving amazing. But that's mostly because the area undergoes an ... interesting transformation at night.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kay Kessler posted:

In Xenoblade the music that plays at night in the Satori Marsh is loving amazing. But that's mostly because the area undergoes an ... interesting transformation at night.

What does it transform into?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Giant mecha form, duh (though knowing Xenoblade that could be the truth)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

What does it transform into?

The dead looking trees light up with ethereal lights that look beautiful. Also, the mobs go from ~level 18-22 to ~80, IIRC.

A little thing in game I like in mobile Gatcha game Fate Grand/Order is how they tie lore into gameplay at times. Like one of the launch units was Lu Bu, and he's a Breserker stripping away his ability to think because otherwise he would kill you at the first possible moment. In the lore it is noted that because he doesn't work well with others the skill Charisma (used by kings/generals/etc to boost the stats of people they lead) won't do much for him, because he would disobey so much. In game his second skill gives him a defense boost, but makes it so that attack buffs have a coinflip chance of actually working on him, including all forms of Charisma which works in game as a party wide attack buff. Stuff like that is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to Helheim in God of War - I love that the surviving brother isn't mad because you killed his sibling, he's just whining because now everyone will thing he just inherited his electro-hammer instead of earning it. That's pretty amusing. Also getting the Blades of OIympus was cool too.

An interesting read that I have is that in the original games, Kratos is driven by an external, childish emotion, rage. He spends the whole series blaming everyone else for his own problems, murdering everyone in sight because all he cares about is making the pain stop. In the new game, the emotion has changed - now it's an internal emotion - regret/sorrow. He recognises that everything that happens is his responsibility, taking it on himself to make Atreus strong and protect him from his illness, so when he fails at that it hits him hard enough to return to the very first scene of the series - jumping into an afterlife, but this time to make amends rather than to seek vengeance. Before going to Helheim he even almost apologises to Hera, which Kratos never does.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Jun 15, 2019