Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Lambert posted:

Try adjusting your TV first, changing it on the Xbox should be a last resort as disabling overscan increases picture quality a great deal.

This. The overscan setting that most TV's have, and unfortunately it's often enabled by default, is essentially simulating the natural sort of overscan that was present on all old CRT TV's. What it actually does is unnecessarily zoom in the picture a bit and make your full-HD or 4K TV not display the signal at its native resolution like it should.

On my Samsung TV you disable it like this: Settings > Picture > Picture Size > Fit to screen: On

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/x..._medium=ios_app

Ultimate Gamepass is up. $1 to convert your existing balance on Gold and Gamepass to Ultimate, which could be quite a bit depending on how much you’ve paid for in advance.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Coq au Nandos posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/x..._medium=ios_app

Ultimate Gamepass is up. $1 to convert your existing balance on Gold and Gamepass to Ultimate, which could be quite a bit depending on how much you’ve paid for in advance.

Yeah I believe what it does is it'll add all your months together. If you have 10 months of gold and 8 months of game pass, you get 18 months total.

I'm set now until October 2021. Thanks Xbox!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can confirm, it combines your months of both services already paid for. I'm good through most of 2020 now.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, I'm good until October 2021. This does make me wonder what happens if you try and redeem cheap regular Live codes now. Whether it errors out or sill adds on.

Also if this is true then you get Gears of War Ultimate edition with Ultimate Gamepass rather than the standard edition.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
If I have 8 months of Gold left, and no Game Pass, will I spend $1 for essentially 8 months of Game Pass?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BisterdDave posted:

If I have 8 months of Gold left, and no Game Pass, will I spend $1 for essentially 8 months of Game Pass?
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1137723091381936128

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Yep!

Oh, hey, so that explains what happens when you add regular Live codes on. Looks like getting 3 month codes is gonna be the best value after you convert. Especially when they run those 3+3 deals (buy 3 months get 3 months free).

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 9, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So apparently if you want to make the most of this deal you’ll want to be subbed to as much of xbl gold BEFORE you convert. After you convert if you add XBL Gold codes it “exhanges” them in a way that isn’t 1:1; 1 and 3-month codes give you 2/3 of the time (so a 3-month xbl gold code gives you 2 months of Ultimate) while a 12-month Gold code only gives you 1/3 (4 months of Ultimate). fwiw there might be discounted 3-month xblg codes after the conference.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, hey, so that explains what happens when you add regular Live codes on. Looks like getting 3 month codes is gonna be the best value.

Just checked and my XBLG ends in 2 months, so I will definitely jump on any Gold deals that come up soon. Anyone have a reliable source to get codes for cheap, just in case they don't offer any 3-month deals this weekend? I'm seeing $45 for 12 months right now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I guess unless they add a new category to Microsoft rewards, it's probably best to redeem it for 12month gold gift cards. You can probably earn enough for 12 months in 4 months anyway so you should never have to pay for game pass ultimate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long does this one dollar deal last? And how long until this becomes two tiered and certain games are only available to gamepass ultimate? Also, do we know how PC gamepass works? Is it the same as normal game pass or is it separate?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Anyone buy XBLG codes from cdkeys.com? About how long does it take for codes to come through? I just purchased 12-months, but the "instant" key is not available yet.

edit: haha nevermind, just checked again and got my code

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

How long does this one dollar deal last? And how long until this becomes two tiered and certain games are only available to gamepass ultimate? Also, do we know how PC gamepass works? Is it the same as normal game pass or is it separate?

Dunno
It probably wont, ultimate is just gp with online play and free monthly games added on
Like the console one
Seperate in that it only has games that run on pc

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BisterdDave posted:

Anyone buy XBLG codes from cdkeys.com? About how long does it take for codes to come through? I just purchased 12-months, but the "instant" key is not available yet.

Typically, you get it pretty much immediately - there is a link in the purchase receipt.

Edit: Just saw your edit.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Just checked and my XBLG ends in 2 months, so I will definitely jump on any Gold deals that come up soon. Anyone have a reliable source to get codes for cheap, just in case they don't offer any 3-month deals this weekend? I'm seeing $45 for 12 months right now.

$45 is one of the better deals that you regularly see. *Sometimes* you see 40 but that can be random.

Though most of the time I wound up stacking came from 3+3 deals. (Buy 3 months and get 3 months free).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zaa Boogie posted:

$45 is one of the better deals that you regularly see. *Sometimes* you see 40 but that can be random.

Though most of the time I wound up stacking came from 3+3 deals. (Buy 3 months and get 3 months free).

Ended up getting 12-months from cdkeys.com for a little under $50. Figured that's well worth it for 12 more months of Gold and Game Pass.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
PC game pass is $5 a month, or included in game pass ultimate

https://www.trueachievements.com/n37943/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-available-now

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
PC lineup is way more impressive than I expected. A little heavy on the indie treasures but some very highly regarded games in that list.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Xbox thread pays off, added 2 more years from CDKeys then upgraded. Hundo for Xbox Gold/games covered for 3 years is a good value for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1136671086156718080

:cawg:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I signed up for PC game pass, and can't download Void Bastards because it's not recognizing my PC as an available active device. Lovely.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007

hcreight posted:

I signed up for PC game pass, and can't download Void Bastards because it's not recognizing my PC as an available active device. Lovely.

What version of windows are you using? A mate of mine had this issue with Sea of Thieves recently and it turned out to be because he was using Windows 7 in 2019 for some reason.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm tempted to go get a year of Gold and upgrade it, but my soon-to-end 3 months of GamePass yielded about an hour of loving around in Rime and that's about it. Kinda feeling like I'm not going to be gaming on this thing at all in a year.

Switch ruined my Xbox for me

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

hcreight posted:

You need to have the windows 10 1903 update, which just started rolling out to everyone yesterday

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

wezmon posted:

What version of windows are you using? A mate of mine had this issue with Sea of Thieves recently and it turned out to be because he was using Windows 7 in 2019 for some reason.

Nah, I'm on Windows 10, fully updated. Someone on another website said something about not all of the Game Pass games actually being available yet, possibly not til after the press conference. I tried hitting install on Sunset Overdrive and it was allowing that, FWIW.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The service probably won't officially launch until after the press conference probably with an accompanying app to make the process more streamlined.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought a cheap 12 month code and now my xbox live is good until December 2020 with two months of gamepass on top once I convert to ultimate. Though what's the point, because I won't have any data left to download anything because I'm going to use it up watching E3 conferences and Giant Bomb @ Nite streams.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well that GP Ultimate deal is magnificent. Just converting my remaining 7 Gold + 2 Game Pass months into 9 months both (with the PC Game Pass included!) for essentially free is pretty dang sweet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah im legit surprised and pleased at the value. Will make their new 200 dollar controller they will announce easier to swallow

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is just a one time value though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah its really generous tho. Not something i would have expected

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's a good way to get people to convert all their months to the expensive plan and then forget it costs 15 bucks when it renews later.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It's a good way to get people to convert all their months to the expensive plan and then forget it costs 15 bucks when it renews later.

Sure and that's why I'm happy that at least here in the EU you can cancel it immediately (which I did) (here).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

:ocelot:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Zat posted:

Sure and that's why I'm happy that at least here in the EU you can cancel it immediately (which I did) (here).

ty

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I got 2 years and change to pile some time on before I gotta worry about that, ha

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Would be cool if the metro exodus was also on xbox and not just on pc but overall its a pretty good deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lot of people gonna tell u exodus is a good game. Not gonna contradict them, but i didnt enjoy much of my 5-6 hours with it and i would not want to play it with controller. I tried one on pc cause i was feeling lazy and it felt bad had to go get my mouse