Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So eliminating any mystery or fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So what I'm gathering is you don't like Mario

It's not that so much as just how many levels overuse the same, bad ideas under the pretense of being "challenging" or "interesting"

Like, it's neat that you can use Bob-ombs to blow out a wall to progress, but don't make me excavate through 12 layers of blocks while bombs just slowly drop out of a pipe. I know you want to have a boss fight, but don't make me whittle down a giant Bowser with just a fire flower because it takes five years. It was funny the first time I grabbed a power up only to be trapped in a pit with no way out, but maybe don't build softlocks into your level on purpose.

There are tons of interesting mechanics and combinations of pieces that you can put together in Mario Maker. SMM2 will have countless more! There's no reason to make garbage any more, or, if you do, just do it for your own personal testing and don't upload it. You don't even get to watch your victims suffer, so I don't see the point in it. You just get the knowledge that they probably skipped your trash level in hopes of something fun instead.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think it would be cool if Nintendo put some restrictions or slight nerfs on things.

If you're making coins a goal for example you can't put them in hidden blocks.
If a enemy has a key they have a slight gold glow around them.
Blocks with enemies in them quiver every few seconds.

Just to cut at some of the lovely things that people will try to abuse.

I honestly don't like that. Yes, people can abuse it, but that's what the new "boo" feature is for. Hopefully that will weed out some of the complaints I had above. I don't want genuinely good levels harmed for the sake of wrist slapping bad designers. If I want to hide a key in a hidden block for a spooky ghost house, I don't want its location spoiled because I plan to have clues to its location.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 7, 2019

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I'm still auto skipping any level with naked pipes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

g0lbez posted:

Yeah, same. Make your levels actually LOOK good, but I've said that before.

I can't remember... is there a 'boo' option for level ratings? Looking forward to doing that to absolute garbage. :colbert:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

g0lbez posted:

naked pipes

I'm surprised they allow that in a game for children

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope they haven't fixed the giant gap. It's a way you can exploit how the physics works to make grabbing a powerup activate a P switch. Another fun one is using a block on a path to push a Thompson, giving it a very weird path

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

g0lbez posted:

finally someone in here is talking some sense

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did they remove music blocks (as in, actual music pink blocks)

I haven't seen a single one yet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Music is one of the available level tags

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did they remove music blocks (as in, actual music pink blocks)

I haven't seen a single one yet

They were shown when they revealed the night mode for sky theme.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
random doors that just drop you to your death, places meant to softlock you, and enemy spam are all getting auto boo / skipped by me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I never wanna see an auto-music level again. Wow you recreated an awful 15 seconds sample of Megolavania! Have 500 stars! :regd09:

I can't really blame people for making them and they're harmless. They just all sound sooooo bad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It wouldn't be too hard technically to simulate the game running for like 100 frames and see if you die in that time with no input.

Nintendo only doesn't because they're lazy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I never wanna see an auto-music level again

Wow you recreated an awful 15 seconds sample of Megolavania! Have 500 stars! :regd09:

One of the better levels I played was one where the top half of the screen was music blocks you wouldn't see playing Megalovania BUT also the bottom of the level was an incredibly fast and precise auto scroller level that transitioned between areas with pipes and at the end of each section ended with stuff that recreated that fight, it was neat.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Vertical music levels

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im kind of interested to know if they got rid of 100 Mario mode. One of the worst things was watching streamers hit their head against a dumb level for 90+ lives.

Overall, I am excited because I didn't have a Wii U, so this will be my first time experiencing the Mario Maker Mania.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
What's a naked pipe?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Where they don't try to attach it to anything so it just looks like a random piece of junk in the middle of the level instead of something in the environment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like attaching a pipe to another pipe facing the opposite direction

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
One of my favorite level designs was making a regular airship level where you go down a pipe and have to navigate across a bunch of debris of a "blown up" airship before emerging up a pipe to a second airship.

Can't wait to remake a better version in SMM2!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I like attaching a pipe to another pipe facing the opposite direction

Same but offset by 1 block, because gently caress you

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My least favorite level design thing is when people make SMW levels where they expect you to throw a shell into a wall and expect you to bounce off it before you land that is such an unfun piece of tech to me and I will skip any level that has it.

Something I do like in SMW level is when people require Yoshi launches because there's something fun about doing that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does Mario Maker have the glitches like where you can do a weird jump and then glitch through a block, and can I make a level that requires such a thing to move on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

I never wanna see an auto-music level again. Wow you recreated an awful 15 seconds sample of Megolavania! Have 500 stars! :regd09:

I can't really blame people for making them and they're harmless. They just all sound sooooo bad.

I don’t mind them but it did get annoying to see so many featured and highly rated levels be those.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

Does Mario Maker have the glitches like where you can do a weird jump and then glitch through a block, and can I make a level that requires such a thing to move on.

There's a couple like that that still work

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cojawfee posted:

Yes (not precisely that, though) and you shouldn't. Including glitches as must-passes in online levels is like half of the lovely JPN levels out there. It's garbage.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Little Mac posted:

Yes (not precisely that, though) and you shouldn't. Including glitches as must-passes in online levels is like half of the lovely JPN levels out there. It's garbage.

Not to mention the fact that Nintendo may patch them out leaving your level unplayable.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Guys. I beat Expert 100 Mario last night. I know you were all wondering how I was progressing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Now do it as many times as necessary to get the costumes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxc2EkbaZjc

There's how to make good levels

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
No those are not good levels they are EPIC levels didn't you read the clickbait?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ughh. I thought you got costumes from amiibos. Alright. Back to the grind.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

RodShaft posted:

Ughh. I thought you got costumes from amiibos. Alright. Back to the grind.

You can. Go into the course editor and tap away with those amiibo. https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/super-mario-maker-wii-u/

You can do 100 man to earn the ones you don't have and the event courses to unlock the special ones they added later like Captain Toad or Hello Kitty or whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

blackguy32 posted:

Overall, I am excited because I didn't have a Wii U, so this will be my first time experiencing the Mario Maker Mania.

Same here. Outside of the entire Game Grumps SMM series, I never watched any videos about the game. I didn't have a WiiU or 3DS, and I'm weird in that I tend not to watch videos of (new and good) games I'll never own, because I don't want to end up wanting them too much. So, I liked the idea of Mario Maker, but never watched streamers or the GDQ stuff with it.

But drat, I am buying the hell out of SMM2 day one, so bring on the videos.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Did anybody find out what the deal is with the blinking p-switches/POW blocks?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Mario Maker Invitational is starting in 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQh6oYH7mk

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rooting for feeney and yellowkillerbee

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I've never seen any of these people, except the completionist was in that promo where they had 8 people make levels before Super Mario Maker 1 came out.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I want to nominate myself for biggest nerd for watching this on my phone at a park 25 miles into a bike ride.

Nah, this is too painful. I'll just check it when I get home to see if they showed off anything new.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Watching this is painful