Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is Slay the Spire comparable whatsoever to Solitairica, aside from then both using cards?

Not really, it's closer to Night of the Full Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
God dammit, I bought Slay the Spire and now my weekend and probably rest of my life are ruined by this good and addictive game.

gently caress you, Switch thread!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loving love ugly rear end roguelike games that look like poo poo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Turn on your monitor.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy poo poo :siren:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got to act 3 in slay the spire for the first time now on the switch

first encounter the enemies are pumping out 40+ damage each turn

guess i'll just die

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/SmilesEdgeworth/status/1136990580746178561

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

Three weeks to go until Mario Maker 2. I'm taking the day off of work.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Unff semi confirmation of w101 port

gematsu posted:

You’ve previously brought up the possibility of bringing The Wonderful 101 to Switch. What do fans need to do to make it happen?

Inaba: “Yeah, I think I said that on multiple occasions. And I’m glad that I did. So if you could be patient with it, that’ll be great.”

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/platinum-games-interview-with-atsushi-inaba-and-takahisa-taura-at-bitsummit-7-spirits

Soon!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
With Mario maker 2 and that new Castlevania knockoff this month, it's hard to justify $60 for the physical of Lapis Labyrinth. I don't need an art book and I don't even have a CD player. How often does NIS do a second dip with a non-collecters edition?

Come on, game company I want to give you money. Or do I just bite the bullet and get it digitally? Thank you I'll take my answer off the air

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Yooka Laylee sucked, like, thirty dicks and I'm not falling for it

then again Bombshell sucked but apparently Ion Maiden's early access is getting good reviews? I don't know, maybe I should open my heart and try to love again

speaking of, can't wait for Slayer to crack down on Slay the Spire, how did they think they could get away with that name geez louise

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t play Yooka Laylee due to the meh reviews but this new game looks fun. It’s a lot of the same people that worked on the original DKC trilogy, correct?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t play Yooka Laylee due to the meh reviews but this new game looks fun. It’s a lot of the same people that worked on the original DKC trilogy, correct?

I think so, but Yooka Laylee looked fun at first and I think that was a bunch of the same people that did Banjo Kazooie

it's a very familiar song and dance, is all I'm sayin

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It's the same trap people keep falling for because the first trailers look hopeful for this retro revival done by people who've worked on the series in the past.

Thankfully, this time it doesn't seem like they're crowdfunding it so at least they have to put a finished product out in front of people before getting most of their money. (Don't preorder games.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna be honest, Yooka Laylee 2d is giving me some severe Lucky's Quest vibes

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
despite how much both yooka laylee and mighty number 9 blew, I am kind of sort of looking to give bloodstained a chance

that's almost entirely because curse of the moon was pretty good though

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The saaaaaaaaaaame trap.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Mr. Locke posted:

The saaaaaaaaaaame trap.

curseofthemoonwasprettygood god dammit

I'm not stupid, everybody else is stupid

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

iirc yooka laylee was actually a quite good game for what it was and the major criticism of it was, "this is just another run of the mill 3D platformer straight off the N64! what the gently caress!"

which... is exactly what it was supposed to be :confused:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Lunatic Sledge posted:

then again Bombshell sucked but apparently Ion Maiden's early access is getting good reviews? I don't know, maybe I should open my heart and try to love again

3D Realms is only publishing Ion Maiden. Completely different genre and dev team than Bombshell. The only consistent thing is Shelly as a character.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

The White Dragon posted:

iirc yooka laylee was actually a quite good game for what it was and the major criticism of it was, "this is just another run of the mill 3D platformer straight off the N64! what the gently caress!"

which... is exactly what it was supposed to be :confused:

mileage may vary, but for me it was a run of the mill platformer for the first... level and a half or so, and I had a great time because nobody makes 'em like that anymore

then I started having trouble with the camera

then I realized the five or six big NPCs from the first world, were in every world, giving pretty much the same quests with slight variations

then the levels started getting less and less interesting until one of them was just a big, empty room with a totally flat floor and Game Stuff shoved in random places

the actual pacing and coherency of the design also deteriorated rapidly, until it went from very intuitive, subtle guidance that a big open level needs to just, kind of aimlessly wandering around, spending 10 minutes dicking with A Thing before deciding of my own volition that, eh, I guess I don't have the powerup to make this thing work or whatever

you could pretty much track the budget and attention to detail disintegrating in real time over the course of the game, if you only played the first half hour or so it would look like everything you wanted but if you played much further the props start falling off the strings and the puppets come unhinged and the set tips over, and a couple spotlights blow out

edit: also the controls were not great, as I recall

Gaspy Conana posted:

3D Realms is only publishing Ion Maiden. Completely different genre and dev team than Bombshell. The only consistent thing is Shelly as a character.

oh well poo poo then, I hope the lawsuit thing works out

I am back to being entirely skeptical of yooka laylee country

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 8, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I’ve been playing a new save file of both hollow knight and yoku’s island express after letting them rest for a long while

they’re both still so fun (hollow knight is insanely good and yoku is extremely delightful)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thus proving that the best games, regardless of genre, are the ones starring bugs insects.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 8, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

YggiDee posted:

Thus proving that the best games, regardless of genre, are the ones starring bugs.

Copy/paste from Bethesda's E3 keynote

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YggiDee posted:

Thus proving that the best games, regardless of genre, are the ones starring bugs insects.

Bugdom 2 HD Remaster confirmed for Switch?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lunatic Sledge posted:

despite how much both yooka laylee and mighty number 9 blew, I am kind of sort of looking to give bloodstained a chance

that's almost entirely because curse of the moon was pretty good though

The mighty number 9 sequel was good too

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

EDF comes to mind, so that checks out

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Yooka Laylee sucked, like, thirty dicks and I'm not falling for it

Does it mean it could instead suck one dick thirty times?

Asking for a friend...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, seriously, where the hell is my Lunar 1 and 2 double pack for switch? Ill pay the tax!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lunatic Sledge posted:

then I started having trouble with the camera
I think this was probably one of the biggest reasons for the bad reaction to yooka-laylee, which is a shame since they fixed it later (I only played it after they fixed the camera and stuff and I enjoyed the game)

from what I can tell, the camera was really bad at launch, which you definitely don't want in a 3d platformer

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Bloodstained Kickstarter campaign is so much more backer friendly and doing such a better job at managing community expectations then my MN9 or Yooka-Laylee that I have absolutely no concern about it being a five star gaming product.

Like every single post about MN9 was “we’ve made the game look worse but in order to compensate we’re delaying it. Also it’s an anime now, and the first version we ever promised is never coming out.”

Bloodstained posted a video like 2 weeks ago that was the Director making fun of how lovely the first trailers are and how much better everything is, and then went on to say “we decided to make most of the Paid DLC free to reduce piracy!”

It’s not the same song and dance at all

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's official, fifa 19 was the last original switch game. Next one is a "legacy" edition.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bushisms.txt posted:

It's official, fifa 19 was the last original switch game. Next one is a "legacy" edition.

Guess they finally got sick of the Switch players complaining about not getting Ultimate Team promotions despite them being advertised on the news feed and Nintendo's Twitter. Also Fifa 20 is apparently getting some big new modes that they clearly don't want to bother putting into the Switch engine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1137366167675428865?s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Has anyone tried Aggelos? It looks like a Wonder Boy style game which is extremely my poo poo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the Pinball FX3 recommendation earlier. The free Williams table (fish tales?) just as hard as the F-14 Tomcat table at work, so now I know I just suck at pinball :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

After two runs with the Ironclad, got my first win with my first run with the Silent. Stacking shields by throwing hundreds of shivs at foes is satisfying.

Can't wait to play with the orb character next.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

My Friend Pedro has a preorder going for a few bucks off. Out June 20.

This could have been skinned with Deadpool and made a billion dollars.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

njsykora posted:

Guess they finally got sick of the Switch players complaining about not getting Ultimate Team promotions despite them being advertised on the news feed and Nintendo's Twitter. Also Fifa 20 is apparently getting some big new modes that they clearly don't want to bother putting into the Switch engine.

It's insane that they could've invested in a port of the engine and been good for the generation while ensuring consumers they might care, but instead they publicly hamstring the whole thing and then want parity in sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

It's insane that they could've invested in a port of the engine and been good for the generation while ensuring consumers they might care, but instead they publicly hamstring the whole thing and then want parity in sales.

it's like my grandma always said, "you can't spell 'insane' without 'EA' but not in that order and with an N in between the A and the E"