Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My Hero Academia: Vigilantes
A spin-off to the wildly popular Hero Academia series, Vigilantes focusses on unlicensed do-gooders who couldn't cut it as real heroes. A rogue hero is killing purse-snatchers, 90's antihero style, and our noble wannabes get caught up in it.

After the juniors get their asses kicked, the old man of the team steps up. In a world where everyone is born with superpowers, Knuckleduster has nothing except steroids, painkillers, and an iron will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Squidster posted:

A spin-off to the wildly popular Hero Academia series, Vigilantes focusses on unlicensed do-gooders who couldn't cut it as real heroes. A rogue hero is killing purse-snatchers, 90's antihero style, and our noble wannabes get caught up in it.

After the juniors get their asses kicked, the old man of the team steps up. In a world where everyone is born with superpowers, Knuckleduster has nothing except steroids, painkillers, and an iron will.

I've always liked Wildcat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Squidster posted:

So I should be reading my hero academia, is what you're saying?

But man I really wish manganimes would cut down on the word count. Feels like they could have cut that dialogue down to half

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

McCloud posted:

You should, but the above panel sequence is from the spin off series Vigilantes

Here's a really really cool sequence from a few of the recent MHA chapters.

There's a villain named Twice who's power is Double, which means he can duplicate himself. Long story short he duplicated himself a couple of times too many, couldn't control it, and he ended up killing all his clones. He came out of the encounter with a split personality unable to tell if he was the original, or if he was a clone. He's also now super paranoid about getting hurt; because if a clone sustains enough damage it disappears.

Another villain group pin him down with puppets that look like him, causing him to freak out.

(Right to Left)

Which then leads to this sequence

McCloud posted:

But man I really wish manganimes would cut down on the word count. Feels like they could have cut that dialogue down to half

Some are good, some are bad. Depends on the mangaka writing/drawing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alfred owns. Alfred beating the poo poo out of Superman in Injustice is a top 3 Alfred moment.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

McCloud posted:

Vigilantes is a lot of fun. The main series, Academia, is about top-tier students full of fiery ambition to be #1. In Vigilantes, the cast are poo poo-tier scrubs trying to be the best person they can be. They know they're eternally outmatched, but that's no reason to give up.

The protagonist, Koichi, is a college kid working a boring convenience store job. His partners are Pop Step, a rookie entertainer building her career, and Knuckleduster, fisticuff enthusiast trying to reconnect with his wayward daughter. It's a slice of life capes story with a tone somewhere between Spider-man and Justice League International. The first few chapters are rough, but it rapidly improves.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla Vs. Hell is on Humble bundle. Is it worth it? I feel like this thread really liked it when all the 'cool' kids were hating on Japanese things.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

It's a bit uneven, but it does have some rad moments and Stokoe, so why not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Herr Tog posted:

Godzilla Vs. Hell is on Humble bundle. Is it worth it? I feel like this thread really liked it when all the 'cool' kids were hating on Japanese things.

James Stokoe is not Japanese, but go on.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

James Stokoe is not Japanese, but go on.

Back when we kept having slap fights about Manga being bad and no bad rear end, not that comic or person.
Also whoever made a not-VW bus driving through Hedorah seems like a cool guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Alfred owns. Alfred beating the poo poo out of Superman in Injustice is a top 3 Alfred moment.

Also in the top 3:

Gavok posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I am a big fan of Alfred politely telling Superman to gently caress off.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
For me it's the "Master Kent" at the end of that, just a drat good callback to year one.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
His little tantrum when "I'm Superman" doesn't get him what he wants is absolutely delicious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Injustice Year 2: Superman's turned into a fascist and allied himself with the Sinestro Corps. This turns things from just an Earth problem into a bigger problem so the entire Green Lantern Corps have come to put an end to this.

:iceburn:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
RIP Alligator/Dinosaur Yellow Lantern and I Dunno, Hell Demon Yellow Lantern.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yellow Lantern Superman is pretty loving dope too.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
They never made enough of a distinction between the colors to me. I feel like most - maybe not all - members of either Yellow or Red could fit into either camp. Someone like Scarecrow should be Yellow for sure, but some Yellows are feared because of their ferocity, so they could be Red.. Like those two Yellow goons could easily be in Red outfits and you'd just accept it.
And equally, Reds are pretty universally feared, so they could be Yellow. Then seeing a Green Lantern can be a symbol of hope, so they could be Blue. I dunno, I like the idea of the spectrum but the rules seem half baked. Or maybe I just don't get it. I haven't read DC since Blackest Night back in the day.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I do not think the rainbow corps were a good idea, there, I said it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Hawkins posted:

Indigo isn't even a real color.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

Indigo isn't even a real color.

Blame Indigo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What is the color of pedantry, I want that ring

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Beige, but you have to pronounce "beige" correctly in your oath to get a ring.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

It was a good "Oh gently caress!" reveal at the end of the Sinestro Corps War, but the potential was badly wasted. Except Larfleeze. Larfleeze was worth it.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It alternates shades between posts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Random Stranger posted:

technically, that's called Already Red

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Red seems to be the only lasting thing from the Spectrum corps. I haven't seen anything from the Blue/Indigo/Violet/Orange corps for years though admittedly I haven't been following GL.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Wasn't the Blue corps destroyed?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Verant posted:

Wasn't the Blue corps destroyed?

All except for Saint Walker. IIRC, he was last seen being freed from the Sinestro Corps by Hal Jordan. They were experimenting on him in an attempt to make his ring's "boost power" function work on yellow rings rather than the green it was designed for.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 13, 2019

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The fact that the "emotional spectrum" of the DCU totals six emotions and doesn't include happiness is bad enough, but writing out the lanterns representing hope, compassion, and love is just the icing on the cake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also "Willpower" isn't an emotion.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

muscles like this! posted:

Also "Willpower" isn't an emotion.

That's why I said "six" instead of "seven" :ssh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

It was a good "Oh gently caress!" reveal at the end of the Sinestro Corps War, but the potential was badly wasted. Except Larfleeze. Larfleeze was worth it.

How could you forget dex-Starr and guy with the Lenny stash

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fuego Fish posted:

That's why I said "six" instead of "seven" :ssh:

Because seven eight nine?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

McCloud posted:

Part of it is that Japanese is simply a language that can pack different, usually tighter amounts of information into a single character, as opposed to, say, English.

Part of it is also that that's a fan translation, not an official one, and thus it's... not perfect. You can tend to condense a lot of information down if you localize a concept, instead of transcribe it.

Here's a good example, from the Kingdom Hearts manga. Donald explaining why they have to keep the knowledge that they're from different worlds to a minimum.

Fan translation:

Professional translation:

So, yeah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, the first one feels more accurate to the true Kingdom Hearts exposition dump experience

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, the first one feels more accurate to the true Kingdom Hearts exposition dump experience

I'd also really like to hear Donald say all that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh the fan translation is actually the better choice there

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I say this as someone that has seen every Donald Duck cartoon and read hundreds of Donald and Scrooge comics. Donald Duck on no planet would ever say something like the first panel.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

X-O posted:

I say this as someone that has seen every Donald Duck cartoon and read hundreds of Donald and Scrooge comics. Donald Duck on no planet would ever say something like the first panel.

kingdom hearts is very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

We've replaced Donald Duck with a Tachikoma. Let's see if they notice.