Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

KillHour posted:

Bass is directly correlated with speaker size. You really can't have it both ways.

Maybe something with a separate subwoofer or large enough to have decent bass, then? I'm mostly looking for something with that cylinder shape (like an Alexa or a Pringles can).

To give a baseline, she also has a SONOS Play:3 speaker and the bass on that thing is more than enough.

If this isn't something that really exists, she's happy with something decent. I just don't want to get her something cheap with zero bass.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I want a thing that produces sound.

How it looks is the most important factor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These are the standard for an "entry level" desktop speaker set:

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A2-Powered-Speaker-System/dp/B00DQMJE7E

A sub could be added to these if needed. The only cylindrical speaker from a well-known audio manufacturer with a 3.5mm input I can think of is the B&O M3.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beoplay-m3?variant=beoplay-m3-natural-us

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those specific speakers you linked probably do kinda suck. I can't think of anything in the exact shape you're describing though.

What about setting up a two alexas as a stereo pair and then using them as bluetooth speakers? I know you can do each of those things individually but have no idea how well it would work in practice.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Maybe something with a separate subwoofer or large enough to have decent bass, then? I'm mostly looking for something with that cylinder shape (like an Alexa or a Pringles can).

To give a baseline, she also has a SONOS Play:3 speaker and the bass on that thing is more than enough.

If this isn't something that really exists, she's happy with something decent. I just don't want to get her something cheap with zero bass.

you don't have a lot of options really. just from what you're describing edifier makes some units that are close to what you want

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/2.1-subwoofer

they're a bit hyped, but if she's looking for more form over function these are the best bet. otherwise we're looking at B&O units that cost stupid amounts of money.

edit:

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks - Sound great, decent for aesthetic reasons
https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardo...d=AKR88PAWTQVN2

KEF EGG
https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Versatile-Desktop-Speaker-System/dp/B011MCKRNO

KEF LSX
https://us.kef.com/speakers/computer-speakers/digital-hifi-speakers-lsx-wireless-speakers.html
- best of both worlds, assuming you can convince your wife that they're good aesthetically (they are)

5-HT fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 8, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks! I think I have some good options to browse now. She may need to accept getting black cubes, since that's mostly what's on the market. She already understands that may be the case.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's not what I asked for at all, but thanks for your comment?

e: never mind, I did ask that. Mea culpa.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 8, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DizzyBum posted:

Her requirements are more aesthetic than anything.

No, not at all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I had a roommate with soundsticks, can confirm that they sound pretty good and can produce plenty of bass for a small, cinderblock room. The aesthetics are a bit dated at this point, but hey, they made MoMa.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was going to suggest the Soundsticks- they look great and sound great and some museum people in NY decided that they are officially An Art.

I would recommend getting the non-Bluetooth Soundsticks 3 ($150 new, $99 refurb) instead of the Wireless. Not only does that save you a bit of cash but the Wireless have the unfortunate design flaw that they’re always in *Pairing* mode. So if you live in an apartment/near enough to other people and you aren’t using them you’ll have random people accidentally connecting their Bluetooth devices to your speakers.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ok buddy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I personally think they're ugly as sin, but I had a friend who had them back in the day and they're aight sounding.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The blue leds definitely don’t do them any favors

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

5-HT posted:

Mackie Big Knob Passive 2x2 Studio Monitor Controller
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigKnobPass--mackie-big-knob-passive-2x2-studio-monitor-controller
- Cheap (re: $60)
- just run a 3.5mm cable from your sound card to this interface, plug in your monitors, and your done
- makes life easier, gives you total control

After rethinking volume control on my PC, and rather than dealing with volume slider after slider after slider in Win10, I ended up picking up this unit based on your recommendation and it's been great so far. Set my sliders as I like them in Windows, then I can just forget them and use the Big Knob to quickly change things. The one-button output select is great for switching between my headphones and speakers as well, without having to worry about the soundcard outputting to two different systems if I had plugged both in there. Thanks for this!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
edit; bought Edifier 1280T, they sound good with rock, okay with movies, the sound knob having no visual or physical representation of max and min volume (it spins freely in both directions) is dumb and whoever okay'd that should be fired.

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 4, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Today my JBL LSR305P MKII's arrived and I'm very happy with them. Seems like subwoofer won't be needed at all. Also ordered Behringer Monitor1 volume controller but that won't be here for 1-3 weeks still. :s

Are the foam speaker pads actually helpful? I can feel certain frequencies through my table and I'm thinking about getting couple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sininu posted:

Today my JBL LSR305P MKII's arrived and I'm very happy with them. Seems like subwoofer won't be needed at all. Also ordered Behringer Monitor1 volume controller but that won't be here for 1-3 weeks still. :s

Are the foam speaker pads actually helpful? I can feel certain frequencies through my table and I'm thinking about getting couple.

Get yoga blocks if you wanna be a cool kid

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

This static noise on my LSR305's is really annoying. Is there anything I can do about it? I guess no.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sininu posted:

This static noise on my LSR305's is really annoying. Is there anything I can do about it? I guess no.

How do you have them plugged into your computer?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Currently I got them connected to my laptop via 3.5mm to XLR cable that splits into two.

Edit: they make that static/hiss noise even when the cable is not plugged into them.

This sucks bad. :(

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 7, 2019

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How high do you have the gain setting on the back?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

How high do you have the gain setting on the back?

I had it at 10 at first but turned it to 6 very early on, it only affects the noise slightly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Huh OK, then there really isn't anything you can do, sorry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Try setting the input sensitivity to -10 instead of +4.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

It's also audible when listening to stuff at very low volume which is extra sucky.
I googled about it and it seems that almost all cheaper and mid-range active speakers that use class D amps have this issue... Some worse than others. I can hear mine hiss from more than 2 meters away. Why would active speakers be recommended for home use with any kind of noise??

KillHour posted:

Try setting the input sensitivity to -10 instead of +4.

No change.

I'll try living with these for few days and then decide if it's tolerable or not. Not optimistic about this. I will be really unhappy if I have to send them back.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 7, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sininu posted:

It's also audible when listening to stuff at very low volume which is extra sucky.
I googled about it and it seems that almost all cheaper and mid-range active speakers that use class D amps have this issue... Some worse than others. I can hear mine hiss from more than 2 meters away. Why would active speakers be recommended for home use with any kind of noise??

No change.

I'll try living with these for few days and then decide if it's tolerable or not. Not optimistic about this. I will be really unhappy if I have to send them back.

That level of hiss doesn’t sound normal to me. Would maybe trying balanced connections work?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the ones we had hissing noticeably and I'm usually pretty sensitive to that kind of thing. Don't have access to them anymore to check, unfortunately, but I do wonder if something's either wrong with your specific set or setup.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Well, see if it persists if you unplug the cables from the speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I assume they did that. But if they just disconnected it from the PC, yeah try that.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

powderific posted:

I don't remember the ones we had hissing noticeably and I'm usually pretty sensitive to that kind of thing. Don't have access to them anymore to check, unfortunately, but I do wonder if something's either wrong with your specific set or setup.

I only hear the hissing on mine if I put my ear real close. Sitting back a few feet I don't hear anything.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

Already done that

Sininu posted:

Edit: they make that static/hiss noise even when the cable is not plugged into them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's weird as hell. The only things I can think of are a manufacturing defect or REALLY noisy power.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Yeah it sounds like a ground issue. Try plugging them into another outlet and see if it continues, if it does get them replaced.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Break off the ground prong or use one of those cheater plugs. Solid chance that’s your issue.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think they all hiss. At least mine does and it is sensitive to gain. So as low gain at monitor as you can get away with is recommended. Maybe some pairs are better or worse, but at least the two I have have identical hiss charactheristics.

And most other cheap studio/PA active speakers hiss as well. Still I am happy with my JBL monitors and Alto PAs.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So after some light research I think I’m going to move to something like a pair of Klipsch r-15pm or Audioengine A5. Is there a major difference between the two? eBay has sets of both for within my price range.

Looking for something ~$200 for moderate to mid volume computer usage - music and games mostly. Don’t need huge bass. Currently have an old Logitech 2.2 system that provides way more bass and volume then I need.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

skylined! posted:

So after some light research I think I’m going to move to something like a pair of Klipsch r-15pm or Audioengine A5. Is there a major difference between the two? eBay has sets of both for within my price range.

Looking for something ~$200 for moderate to mid volume computer usage - music and games mostly. Don’t need huge bass. Currently have an old Logitech 2.2 system that provides way more bass and volume then I need.

get some used focal alpha 50's or jbl lsr305's/305MKII's, they're much closer to your price target and they provide a much better sound. Audioengine isn't that good and is very overpriced for what you're getting, and the klipsch are bass cannons basically, with a very "warm" sound to them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my setup. The sub itself has a low pass filter built in, but I want to high-pass the signal going to my other speakers. It seems like this should be easy enough to do I software but googling only comes up with a few, very cumbersome looking solutions. Is this a trickier problem than I'm giving it credit for, or conversely, am I making it too hard and could just get away with using an EQ on that output?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried Equalizer APO? I vaguely remember using it to do some DSP corrections and it can do a whole bunch of different stuff.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I went the software route to set up a bass shaker, and it worked fine once all set up but was definitely cumbersome and time consuming to get there, and not something I would do again for anything long term. PC was the audio source (games, music, etc.), out to a USB sound card to the regular speakers, and out the built in sound card to the "subs" which had no built in filter. I settled on Voicemeeter Banana (not the regular non-Banana version) and Cantibile (free edition). Voicemeeter handled routing the Windows audio to 2 outputs - one was straight to the USB sound card, the other was to Cantible which I had running with an EQ plugin to do the low pass filter, which output back to Voicemeeter, which sent that audio to the built in sound card.

What's your setup look like - where's the audio coming from and what are the speakers hooked up to?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

What's your setup look like - where's the audio coming from and what are the speakers hooked up to?

Currently deciding between a Windows 10 laptop or RPi as the source, either of which would be outputting through a USB soundcard to the speakers.

I've found solutions for the Linux route (I think) but they all involve a good bit of command line fuckery, though leaving it hooked up as a headless Spotify server would otherwise be ideal.

On the Windows front I found Voicemeeter banana and got my outputs split but it doesn't appear to have bandlimiting functions, and all the results I find of people discussing similar things are several years old and don't seem to have reached satisfactory conclusions.

Equalizer APO is on the to-try list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Go for a hardware solution. It's just so much easier.

A MiniDSP 2x4 would probably be ideal.