Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Turtle friendly RTS Conan Unconquered just came out, alongside its launch trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpgz0X2SaiY

Basically a They Are Billions-like developed by the ever underfunded Petroglyph, ex C&C devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In what must be a repudiation of their public image, Destructive Creations has released a Crusades DLC for their RTS Ancestors Legacy wherein you play as Saladin on his campaign to retake the Holy Land. The expansion also adds the Saracens as a new faction to skirmishes and multiplayer. I enjoyed what I played of the game, that is the beta, but I never actually bought it due to concerns about its longevity and simplicity. It's basically a medieval-era Company of Heroes and I mostly play those for the multiplayer, something I'm guessing didn't really take off. Still, I recall there was one dude around here who dug it so there you go!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mordja, are you just using this dead thread to talk to yourself about a dead genre? Yes I am, other Mordja. Yes I am.

Anyways, Liquidation is an in-development RTS that looks to have way more visual polish that other indie strategies, been trucking along at a decent pace. Four factions duke it out in a science-fantasy world. It's VERY Warcraft/Starcraft, if that's your bag. It isn't mine, actually, but I'm desperate.
https://twitter.com/LiquidationGame/status/1121826752232337408
https://twitter.com/LiquidationGame/status/1125799422846283776
https://twitter.com/LiquidationGame/status/1132290330982801409
https://twitter.com/LiquidationGame/status/1136264067990118407

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the "we added two spikes so TECHNICALLY it doesn't infringe on copyright" artstyle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Prav posted:

the "we added two spikes so TECHNICALLY it doesn't infringe on copyright" artstyle

Be honest mang, that was Blizzard's reasoning when they ripped of Warhammer only they removed spikes instead.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why would you copy Starcraft to that degree, just why. :psyduck:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The C&C Remastered sidebar looks sharp enough:

I wonder if they're going to try to make the infantry units match their old "90s urban camo guy" sidebar art?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Potential BFF posted:

I wonder if they're going to try to make the infantry units match their old "90s urban camo guy" sidebar art?

That's basically the RA2 and onwards sidebar, so I guess they're definitely overhauling the actual gameplay then.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

Heh, the credit count :sun:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Tabbing out the production bar is a good change. I've been playing Dawn of The Tiberium Age a bunch and I can't say I'll miss having everything stacked up on one another, especially since units and buildings are added depending on when you got their production structure / tech.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

Tabbing out the production bar is a good change. I've been playing Dawn of The Tiberium Age a bunch and I can't say I'll miss having everything stacked up on one another, especially since units and buildings are added depending on when you got their production structure / tech.

It also doesn't actually imply any gameplay changes. Though I do hope they throw some modern UI stuff into the game and give people the option to turn it off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fallom posted:

It also doesn't actually imply any gameplay changes. Though I do hope they throw some modern UI stuff into the game and give people the option to turn it off.
I mean, multiple build queues is a pretty big gameplay change in and of itself.

Anyways, found another in-development indie RTS that, uh, wears its inspiration on its sleeve, this one out of Russia. Mars 2000 aims to be a sort of copywrite-free, spiritual successor to Dune 2000, complete with FMV!
https://twitter.com/mars2000game/status/1137117532752699392

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Nobody said anything about changing the build queues. The devs just said they sorted the icons into categories to reduce the amount of scrolling while keeping the original building rules. You could always build units at the same time as buildings.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/bx59ym/remaster_update_and_first_sidebar_preview/eq3guxo/

quote:

So with that in mind, one of the most requested improvements was to reduce the need for scrolling the Sidebar as much as possible. A key suggestion on how to accomplish this was to introduce the build tabs from Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars into the classic UI. We have thus decided to embrace this suggestion, and you can see the build tabs present in the associated preview image. However, because of the construction queue rules of the original games, we wanted to keep all buildings under a single tab, with associated tabs for Infantry, Vehicles (Air, Land, Naval), and Support Powers. To further support the goal of reduced scrolling, we have then designed the Sidebar to fit 18 build buttons.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 8, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Anyways, found another in-development indie RTS that, uh, wears its inspiration on its sleeve, this one out of Russia. Mars 2000 aims to be a sort of copywrite-free, spiritual successor to Dune 2000, complete with FMV!
https://twitter.com/mars2000game/status/1137117532752699392

That hat makes me want to spend money.

It would look terrible on me, but by God it’s magnificent.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress They Are Billions released a trailer for their new campaign: https://youtu.be/GKRTQGHL3mc

It's a shame technical limitations are keeping them from implementing co-op, seems like it'd be dope to play with friends.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

MiddleOne posted:

Why would you copy Starcraft to that degree, just why. :psyduck:

Every month a new Minecraft-like or DayZ-like comes out and makes millions in sales while we refuse to support RTS developers, then we turn around and wonder why it feels like the genre is dead. imo developers who wear their inspirations on their sleeve (e.g. copying the starcraft formula) are cool and good, as long as the game turns out to be fun.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think the success of SC2's co-op mode hints at the fact that a natively team-based RTS in the same or similar mould could do gangbusters. Like, SC2, War3, and BW have all been popular for team games, but they've existed as an afterthought: each game was designed and balanced around 1v1, and it shows. 1v1 games are basically always less popular, or rather have less potential popularity, than team games, just look at the most popular solo vs team sports, it's not even close. Hell even ones most known for solo competition like tennis are often more popular among casual players as team games (definitely true for at least tennis and badminton).

Take something like SC2 co-op and imagine it as a flagship mode: scalable to 3 or 4 or 5 players, more variety in missions, customizable armies, unlockables and loot, hand-crafted and procedural campaigns/narrative missions, "raid" missions that require multiple teams, competitive co-op (racing or score-based), ranks and challenges and leaderboards, etc. Basically the looter shooter model, but with RTS.

I don't think it's true that RTS intrinsically has low mass appeal. Just look at how many players mobile pseudo-RTSes like Clash of Clans got. It's just the 1v1 ranked ladder serious business RTS playstyle that has relatively low mass appeal, and as far as I can see most of the biggest names in the genre have had multiplayer designed around that. It's similar to how arena shooters haven't really made it huge, but Overwatch and Counterstrike and Destiny and Borderlands have.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
If you're fine with reading :words: here's a real good essay on the failings and successes of RTS genre elements and what it could do to improve.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FZRRACcwKzDHyi1U31Wm8RAOD4e6E03IQpAtzBbsbgE/edit

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

^^ dude just the table of contents is tl;dr

shamelessly copying an old game, presumably poorly, isn't going to impress anyone. i've already played that game. i'm done with it. show me something new.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't red alert 3 really push co-op? How did that work out for it

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
While it didn't make it into the lineup of MS games talked about during their Sunday conference, this PC Gamer interview with Phil Spencer will reassure everyone looking forward to more information that the game hasn't been forgotten. Development is still going "really well", is still being handled by Relic and we should hear more about it later this year.

Also, along with 1 & 2 getting remastered again they're planning to do the same for 3 eventually.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope Relic makes Dawn of War 3 afterwards

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

how could anyone be excited for a relic game after the vile poo poo that was coh2

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

I hope Relic makes Dawn of War 3 afterwards

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Prav posted:

how could anyone be excited for a relic game after the vile poo poo that was coh2

Because CoH 1, Dow 1 and Dow 2 were so drat good

I hear coh2 is actually good now??? I thought it sucked when it first came out though and never tried it again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played in a while but COH2's the one RTS I played a bunch online. It's COH1 but mostly improved and I think the complaints were about the campaign, which I never touched.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Yeah, COH2 seems to be in a fairly good place right now. Most of the complaints about balance seem come down to newer players not knowing how to use the tools they have to deal with troublesome enemy units. There is still some RNG when exchanging fire, but frankly I think that adds to the suspense while playing. Also there are a ton of hidden mechanics that the game doesn't explain very well, but overall its a lot of fun and I strongly suggest people check it out!

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
It looks like the HOMM series is currently on sale.

How was HOMMVII? I tried it in it's pre-release beta and saw they'd brought back having far too many resources and that drove me off at the time.

It also appears to have an expansion I heard nothing about!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's much, much closer to V than VI was, and comes out quite well for it.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Prav posted:

it's much, much closer to V than VI was, and comes out quite well for it.

Does it still have the weird meta-equipment levelling VI had? I kinda liked that feature.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird question, but which of these has the shortest, most manageable campaign?

Company of Heroes
COH2
Homeworld
Homeworld 2

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

coh1 is short and fun

bij
Feb 24, 2007

COH 2 actually got a big balance update and they actually added some new commanders. They're all free and they all do something their faction is lacking or light on. The Soviet commander adds paratroops that work like fallschirmjaeger and provides access to forward reinforcement points. The UK get lend-lease Thompson infantry upgrades, the US gets another option to work towards the Sherman Calliope, the the Wehr get another path to the Tiger Ace while the OKW get a Tiger and a different selection of infantry.

It's not huge but I've had a lot of fun tooling off with friends vs the AI.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Been playing the COH campaign and, whoda thunk it, it's really good. Ironically, despite loving all of Relic's RTS (except, you know), and RTS in general, I never actually beat the campaigns of most of them. I mostly played skirmishes, comp stomps, and mods.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Mordja posted:

Been playing the COH campaign and, whoda thunk it, it's really good. Ironically, despite loving all of Relic's RTS (except, you know), and RTS in general, I never actually beat the campaigns of most of them. I mostly played skirmishes, comp stomps, and mods.

It's been years but i remember the COH1 tiger campaign was a lot of fun, just following the story of one tank crew

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs
So Homeworld 3's being made, except it's only in pre-production. It's also got a fig campaign running, except it's for a single, American $1 and supposedly they're already fully-funded so I guess it's a way to drum up some extra scratch? I don't loving know, but I loved Homeworld DOK so I'll buy this new game if it ever comes out.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs
So Homeworld 3's being made, except it's only in pre-production. It's also got a fig campaign running, except it's for a single, American $1 and supposedly they're already fully-funded so I guess it's a way to drum up some extra scratch? I don't loving know, but I loved Homeworld DOK so I'll buy this new game if it ever comes out.

Gearbox, in my opinion, has recently had a rubbish track record and I don't really think they can be relied upon to create a quality product.
On the other hand, Blackbird Interactive did a spectacular job recapturing the 'feel' of Homeworld in Deserts of Kharak. Whatever else might be said about that game, it really did feel like a good Homeworld prequel to me. So if anyone manages to pull off a sequel that feels right, it's probably these guys.

That said: I really hope they won't have those goddamn salvage corvettes mechanics. I know everyone seems to love them but for me I feel like they turn what was meant to be a spectacular space battle simulator into an unbalanced-ship-stealing simulator instead.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 2, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Soul Reaver posted:

That said: I really hope they won't have those goddamn salvage corvettes mechanics. I know everyone seems to love them but for me I feel like they turn what was meant to be a spectacular space battle simulator into an unbalanced-ship-stealing simulator instead.

Agreed. Turning the campaign into a puzzle game is sad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Time for another effortpost, this one on Mental Omega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYE3JDL59g

Mental Omega is, by my money, one of the most fully-featured mods around. Billed as an "unofficial expansion pack" for Command & Conquer: Yuri's Revenge, the sheer amount of content in this thing eclipses that moniker. It's got a staggering number of new units, new missions, new maps, and new gameplay mechanics.

How many new units? Well, I didn't count them but the mod's got four factions, each faction is divided into three subfactions, and each subfaction has a mostly unique set of units. Diversity is the name of the game here, and while there are definitely shared archetypes across the races, they tend to play quite differently. For example, while both the Soviet's Latin Confederation and Epsilon's (Yuri) Scorpion Cell are fast and cheap, the former harasses with suicide and debuff units while the latter contaminates the battle with poison and strikes from below.

Anyone familiar with Yuri's revenge might have noticed I mentioned "four" factions because MO 3.3 added a completely new one to the game, the Foehn Revolt. They're this expensive, high-tech army that's got nanotech, plasma weaponry, and wind manipulation, and borrow a few designs from the original C&Cs and even Dune 2.

As for the number of missions, that I will count. As per the website, this mod's currently got a whopping 66 campaign levels, split into two acts, 16 side missions, and 36 co-op ones. I'm pretty sure that's more than any existing commercial RTS on the market though I'd love to be proven wrong. On top of that I'm gonna say the game probably has well over a hundred different skirmish and multiplayer maps, including PVE challenge and 1v3 Fortress maps.

The entire mod's built for CNCNet, meaning its got multiplayer support right out of the box and a much more customizable front-end. If you own Yuri's Revenge, you should definitely give Mental Omega a try. The latest version can be downloaded here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sick, it’s got single player content? I don’t bother with most mods because there’s no way I’m doing multiplayer with 30-year C&C vets or skirmish AI that can’t handle new units.