Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Gonna step in here and say the parallel twin in my KTM 790 Duke is real good, but they did something with the firing order or something to make it feel more V-twinny so it probably doesn't count. Either that or they did some secret Austrian ritual to actually make a p twin good.

Apparently it's got a 75 degree piston offset and a 435 degree firing interval, which is certainly something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Renaissance Robot posted:

Apparently it's got a 75 degree piston offset and a 435 degree firing interval, which is certainly something.

I have no idea mechanically about the difference that makes, but I can tell you the bike feels great to ride and I never feel like I don't have power ready to go when I need it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Cluncho McChunk posted:

I have no idea mechanically about the difference that makes, but I can tell you the bike feels great to ride and I never feel like I don't have power ready to go when I need it.

yeah it rules

especially compared to the heavier, larger displacement, worse powered, far more boring africa twin

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You forgot uglier.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

You forgot uglier.

Thank You.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Canada Post lost my fuckin' O-ring and gasket set for the Rex.

E: Crap. Turds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:hfive: #newdadnotridingorsleepinglife

Yuuuuuuuuup :hfive:

Although I’ve been a dad for 7 years now

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I signed up for a Dave Moss class tonight, thinking it was just him talking about suspensions and he wouldn't touch our bikes, but I just found out he will be working on our bikes too. I don't know what he costs at the track, but $60 seems like a pretty good deal for a talk by him + getting professional help on your setup.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

I signed up for a Dave Moss class tonight, thinking it was just him talking about suspensions and he wouldn't touch our bikes, but I just found out he will be working on our bikes too. I don't know what he costs at the track, but $60 seems like a pretty good deal for a talk by him + getting professional help on your setup.

sick, i feel like doing anything with a moto pro ~anything~ for 60 bucks is highly worth

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Usually they charge 40 bucks for suspension setup at the track day that you've already paid for. that sounds like a deal. don't gently caress up your tire pressure as he's real big on that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: it was a very informative and cool class, Dave Moss is a great guy. He's really big on being a suspension evangelist, and emphasized multiple times that everyone needs to take their newfound knowledge and help out other riders trying to learn suspension setups. The class had a wide variety of bikes, a spotless Ducati 899 that had been tracked, Ducati Hypermotard, multiple Triumphs, FZ-07, SV650S, an older BMW, Africa Twin, and some other Italian bikes. Tire pressures did come up, he wanted all of us to go out and start at 42psi then work our way down in 2psi increments to see what felt best for us. Multiple bikes had zero static sag in the rear, including the 899 that had been tracked, and some bikes (FZ-07) had busted enough setups at 12k miles that he couldn't get them where he wanted and recommended the owner buy a new shock.

All in all it's the same info you can read about online or see on youtube, but it sure was helpful having someone show you in person on multiple bikes. When he got to my bike he was looking at my tire wear and forks and told me I was genetically gifted, for a second there I was thinking "wow he recognized greatness in my tire wear, this is the moment I've been waiting for," but it turned out he was just talking about my size and how I lucked out that Triumph made the rear shock too stiff for half the population. I told my wife that story and she knew what he meant the second I said it, and now she won't stop making fun of me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I think Canada Post lost my fuckin' O-ring and gasket set for the Rex.

E: Crap. Turds.

Update: apparently the last information they have on it was that it entered customs in Vancouver on the 20th. That was the second time I called them.

The first time, I got put through to some yahoo in god knows where. Either baked out of his tree or dying to get fired. I fuckin' wish I had been recording the call because it was surreal. Like being the guy on the other side of the door in Dave's Not Here.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I get to redo my levers, grips, clutch side case guard, file a claim for a new tank, all because some ancient guy swung way wide, no signal, into my lane, sweeping my front wheel out from under me.
“I didn’t even feel that I hit someone!” Thanks guy. Jacket held up well though, helmet didn’t even contact pavement, day later and I’m not even sore. Bike even made the 120 mile trip home with some roadside patching, yay dual sports.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
To the one guy in oncoming traffic this weekend who thought it would be hilarious to swerve into my lane and scare me, I hope that for the rest of your life every meal out is prepared by someone who took a big fat greasy poo poo, wiped with one square, and didn't wash their hands.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

Trip report: it was a very informative and cool class, Dave Moss is a great guy. He's really big on being a suspension evangelist, and emphasized multiple times that everyone needs to take their newfound knowledge and help out other riders trying to learn suspension setups. The class had a wide variety of bikes, a spotless Ducati 899 that had been tracked, Ducati Hypermotard, multiple Triumphs, FZ-07, SV650S, an older BMW, Africa Twin, and some other Italian bikes. Tire pressures did come up, he wanted all of us to go out and start at 42psi then work our way down in 2psi increments to see what felt best for us. Multiple bikes had zero static sag in the rear, including the 899 that had been tracked, and some bikes (FZ-07) had busted enough setups at 12k miles that he couldn't get them where he wanted and recommended the owner buy a new shock.

All in all it's the same info you can read about online or see on youtube, but it sure was helpful having someone show you in person on multiple bikes. When he got to my bike he was looking at my tire wear and forks and told me I was genetically gifted, for a second there I was thinking "wow he recognized greatness in my tire wear, this is the moment I've been waiting for," but it turned out he was just talking about my size and how I lucked out that Triumph made the rear shock too stiff for half the population. I told my wife that story and she knew what he meant the second I said it, and now she won't stop making fun of me.
That's pretty awesome, I used to watch his youtubes. They were always interesting. Suspension is voodoo poo poo, worse than carbs I think. Did people actually do the 42psi tests? Like a spin around the parking lot to check each adjustment? That's an amazingly high psi to start with, unless you're talking about Goldwing sized bikes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

He wanted us to go home and try it, even those of us with sportbikes. To be honest I haven't bothered yet, mostly because my bike has been in the shop waiting on a new stator and R+R, but even then I don't know if I'd start with 42psi, it sounds like it'd make my bike twitchy as hell. Then again, he is the expert, so maybe I'll try it out and just take it easy. His point for me was I'm using tires that came out in 2014 on a bike that came out in 2007, so the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures may not be appropriate for my modern tire. However, my bike + tire combo is super common and no one else running 42psi, so...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

A co-worker of mine just passed the MSF and got his license. He's been looking and Ninja 400s, and finally got to a dealer in person. The salesman he talked to then went on an impassioned rant about how ABS is terrible and he'll never buy anything with ABS and neither should my co-worker. Also gave him the Layer Dan argument that it's better to slide to avoid a car. I think I've got him convinced to still get the ABS model, but what a great way for him to be introduced to the general motorcycle population.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

A co-worker of mine just passed the MSF and got his license. He's been looking and Ninja 400s, and finally got to a dealer in person. The salesman he talked to then went on an impassioned rant about how ABS is terrible and he'll never buy anything with ABS and neither should my co-worker. Also gave him the Layer Dan argument that it's better to slide to avoid a car. I think I've got him convinced to still get the ABS model, but what a great way for him to be introduced to the general motorcycle population.

At least it’s an accurate representation. Still stupid, but accurate.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Deeters posted:

Leave a terrible review for the dealership.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

At least it’s an accurate representation. Still stupid, but accurate.

Yeah, I briefed him ahead of time that there was a high chance he would have more technical knowledge of bikes before buying it than the salesman. I was expecting the salesman to be old, but nope, like late 20s.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Deeters posted:

I've spent all day trying to wrap my head around how anyone could think ABS is bad; it makes it harder to lock your wheels, who could hate that!?

Then I realised: it makes it harder to lock your wheels which makes it harder to layer dan which makes it harder to stop because the fastest way to stop is to layer dan WHICH MEANS ABS IS UNSAFE!!!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

rear ABS Sucks rear end

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've never had any kind of ABS, can you elaborate?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

right arm posted:

rear ABS Sucks rear end

I enjoy skidding to a stop at like every stop sign like a 10-year-old with a BMX, but I've always been worried about the front losing traction. I'm going to try to get a bike with ABS for my next, but it would be cool if one could disable just the rear ABS. I would miss sliding around like a doof.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

I enjoy skidding to a stop at like every stop sign like a 10-year-old with a BMX, but I've always been worried about the front losing traction. I'm going to try to get a bike with ABS for my next, but it would be cool if one could disable just the rear ABS. I would miss sliding around like a doof.

Some supermotos have the ability to disable only rear ABS function. KTM 690 has this feature.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Kastivich posted:

Some supermotos have the ability to disable only rear ABS function. KTM 690 has this feature.

1290 SAR too. it rules :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've spent all day trying to wrap my head around how anyone could think ABS is bad; it makes it harder to lock your wheels, who could hate that!?

Then I realised: it makes it harder to lock your wheels which makes it harder to layer dan which makes it harder to stop because the fastest way to stop is to layer dan WHICH MEANS ABS IS UNSAFE!!!

Go ask ADVRider why abs is unsafe. Do it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Kastivich posted:

KTM is definitely doing ABS right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5S5Syeqa0

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've never ridden a bike with ABS or any electronic aids, but I'd love to have some top of the line bike with every possible traction control system (ABS, TC, wheelie control, etc). I'm sure there's something to be said for learning what it feels like when the front washes out when you brake too hard, but I think you could also learn a lot about riding with all the help you can get.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Kastivich posted:

If you buy a $100 dongle, while cheaper non-supermoto bikes like the 390 have had this feature built-in for ages :|

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

I've never ridden a bike with ABS or any electronic aids, but I'd love to have some top of the line bike with every possible traction control system (ABS, TC, wheelie control, etc). I'm sure there's something to be said for learning what it feels like when the front washes out when you brake too hard, but I think you could also learn a lot about riding with all the help you can get.

Mostly I'd like the best odds of not dying given I'm putting down about 10,000 miles a year.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

My KTM 790 Duke has supermoto mode that lets me set the amount of slip I want in the rear wheel before abs kicks in from 0-10 which is real nice.

Unfortunately it's still in the run in mode so I can't use that setting yet :argh:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

right arm posted:

rear ABS Sucks rear end
The new Honda Super Cub has ABS only in the front (drum rear)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ktm Duke 690 vs Duke 790, which would CA go for?

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you're putting down 10000 miles a year you should be well comfortable without ABS.

All electronic aids should have a built in option for disabling the setting. Getting the bike out of shape is the most fun part.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coredump posted:

790 for sure. 690 ain't gonna exist much longer and as for as boring as p twins are, the 790 is fantastic

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Will definitely say my 790 has been a great bike so far

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Refresher course this evening got postponed because it's been gorgeous for the last two weeks but today chose to be raining and just above freezing (It's snowing outside of town in the slightly hillier areas), and they don't want people going home at 10 pm after riding for hours in the wet

I think i could manage it but I was ticked when I couldn't find my cold-weather gloves, so maybe for the best

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

790 is the better bike but I'd go for the 690 as I love that engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A month a ago there were loads of TW200 for sale around me. Now that I'm wanting to buy one, there are absolutely none. :(

Gives me time to stock out the Grom I guess.