Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Travelling to Glasgow for the game, think we should have a fair crack at it if Stockdale is back fit but would agree with you over the course of the season Glasgow and Leinster have been the best in the league.

Well good luck to you, your last visit to Scotstoun wasn't very happy but games like these tend to bring out more in the players. As a Dragons fan I'll be looking on in envy wondering what it's like for your team to be in an important game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Glasgow are good imho.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

HappyCamperGL posted:

Glasgow are good imho.

Aye. Can't say gently caress all bad about them tbh, they blew Ulster away in the first half and they haven't got started at all.

Price has been good getting the ball away and the Glasgow forwards have been Leinsterish at the breakdown. Think it's a game too far for Ulster but this Glasgow team could do the job next week in Celtic park.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Glasgow are good imho.

Very strong, should make a good game of it in the final whoever they play.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Aye. Can't say gently caress all bad about them tbh, they blew Ulster away in the first half and they haven't got started at all.

Price has been good getting the ball away and the Glasgow forwards have been Leinsterish at the breakdown. Think it's a game too far for Ulster but this Glasgow team could do the job next week in Celtic park.

Ulster looked just a bit off the pace today and Glasgow were bonkers good. That said, I reckon McFarland is doing a great job there and building a good squad. Every time Coetzee carries the ball, I fear for tacklers.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pass goes backwards out of the player's hands, leads to a try, and TMO decides it was a forward pass, despite the ball clearly going backwards out of the player's hands. The TMO in question, Marius Jonker, is going to the World Cup as part of the TMO panel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
TMOs in every sport are of massively variable quality. Getting hung up on the frame rather than the motion seems pretty common.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

TMOs in every sport are of massively variable quality. Getting hung up on the frame rather than the motion seems pretty common.

Missed a blatant high tackle too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unless it's necessary they seriously shouldn't be allowed to do frame-by-frame stuff like that. If you can't tell off a reasonable slow-motion replay just keep the on-field decision.

I remember something in cricket where someone got dismissed for handling the ball on a super slo mo replay when a full-speed replay made it obvious they were reflexively trying to prevent a ball from hitting them in the face.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Unless it's necessary they seriously shouldn't be allowed to do frame-by-frame stuff like that. If you can't tell off a reasonable slow-motion replay just keep the on-field decision.

I remember something in cricket where someone got dismissed for handling the ball on a super slo mo replay when a full-speed replay made it obvious they were reflexively trying to prevent a ball from hitting them in the face.

This is something that's started to enter into US official reviews. They're supposed to us slow MO and some frame by frame stuff to get info, but ultimately confirm their decision with full speed or only just slowed down video. I think it's helped some, if nothing else than an attitude shift that full speed video is the most important part of the review.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Radio commentary are loving livid.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good win for Leinster in the end. Glasgow have had a really good season, hope they somehow get to beat Saracens next year.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Exeter leading Saracens by 13 with 20 mins to go

Sam Skinner had a lot of work to do to get that type for Slade, really impressive

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Now Sarries leading by 3 with ten to go!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Welp, that's why it's an 80 minute game. I feel bad for Exeter but they just couldn't hold it

Well done Saracens

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ten tries and seventy one points, high scoring game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

England XV vs Barbarians match is good fun. Charles Piutau making people look very ordinary out there at times.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Let me sum up the Crusaders' second half performance against the Chiefs, where they ended up losing despite having a 20-point lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrH3XiMR3KA

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This finish from Joe Goodchild for Wales in the 7s

:kiss:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
My old games teacher would be delighted to see him maintaining two hands on the ball

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes, very important.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro

Vagabundo posted:

Let me sum up the Crusaders' second half performance against the Chiefs, where they ended up losing despite having a 20-point lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrH3XiMR3KA

Have just managed to watch this - what a game!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Hive Mind, I have a question:

in the Reds v Blues game from this weekend, Augustine Pulu appears to be denied a try, based on the fact he was 'tackled' and has another go.

From the angle I can see, the two tacklers have made no attempt with the arms. I really don't see how that try could be overturned.

Anywho, I don't have dog in this fight, it just stuck out to me when I was watching the replay, I'm interested in what others have to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIH-47dp-4

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

slothrop posted:

Hive Mind, I have a question:

in the Reds v Blues game from this weekend, Augustine Pulu appears to be denied a try, based on the fact he was 'tackled' and has another go.

From the angle I can see, the two tacklers have made no attempt with the arms. I really don't see how that try could be overturned.

Anywho, I don't have dog in this fight, it just stuck out to me when I was watching the replay, I'm interested in what others have to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIH-47dp-4

So I watched this at x0.25 speed and I think the tacklers did make attempts with their arms. Specically 11 has his arms around him when they hit the ground. Pulu puts the ball on the ground but never releases it before he goes again. If he'd released the ball and picked it again then it would have been fine.

I vote : No Try.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Thanks, thats a decent analysis that I was missing on my views of it.

Here's a link to a decent short/doco on Rupeni Caucaunibuca that appears to be part of an ongoing series of Pacific Island players welfare.

I always loved Rupeni and this goes some way to explaining his "erratic" career. For me it really humanises the guy, previously I wondered why his career never reached the heights it should have. The video left me severely disappointed in NZ rugby, we should have better programs to help people coming from different backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugT_TShU10

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aramoro posted:

So I watched this at x0.25 speed and I think the tacklers did make attempts with their arms. Specically 11 has his arms around him when they hit the ground. Pulu puts the ball on the ground but never releases it before he goes again. If he'd released the ball and picked it again then it would have been fine.

I vote : No Try.

Should every broken tackle be considered held, then?

That's a try all day, and the Blues were hosed by the refs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Should every broken tackle be considered held, then?

That's a try all day, and the Blues were hosed by the refs.

He didn't break the tackle so.....

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aramoro posted:

He didn't break the tackle so.....

Pulu was about as held as I am right now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Pulu was about as held as I am right now.

You should ask him to let you go then or stop posting mid game. This ain't rugby league, he was clearly tackled and should have released the ball.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aramoro posted:

You should ask him to let you go then or stop posting mid game. This ain't rugby league, he was clearly tackled and should have released the ball.

Held by whom? It's not his fault that the Reds' tackling there was sloppy.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Held by the Reds 11 about a second before you took that screenshot. Looks like he rolls out from under him then plays the ball.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

'Saders back in top form.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Held by the Reds 11 about a second before you took that screenshot. Looks like he rolls out from under him then plays the ball.

Nope, the Reds 11 attempts a tackle and falls off due to his own momentum. The total amountof time he's held by the Reds 11 is less than 1 second.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Nope, the Reds 11 attempts a tackle and falls off due to his own momentum. The total amountof time he's held by the Reds 11 is less than 1 second.

So you admit he was held then? Glad we all agree then, tackled should have released.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren: Rugby World Cup Goon Squad :siren:

We have around 3 months to put together a tournament thread, to hopefully convince the rational, sport-watching population of SAS that Rugby is good, and cool, and that the rules actually makes some kind of sense!

Thanks to Jerusalem and FallingDownJoe, we have an awesome thread to work with, and right now, we're looking for posters who are happy to Adopt A Country.

We plan to give the countries out at random (because it's funnier that way), and posters to keep us up to date on how their country is doing, leading up to a during the tournament. It's up to you to let the thread know which squad they select, which amazing players we should watch out for, what kind of popular native alcoholic drink you drink while watching your adopted country play Rugby, and of course, you'll need to tell us why your country will definately beat Scotland.

If you want to Adopt A Country, please post indicating so, and we'll add you to the draw. If there are any countries that you specifically do not want to adopt (for example, you almost certain wouldn't want to end up adopting your actual nationality, or somehow end up having to support England), please list those countries in your post!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I'm in as long as I don't get the English

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aramoro posted:

So you admit he was held then? Glad we all agree then, tackled should have released.

For about a second before the tackler immediately falls off. And even then, all the guy has a grip on before he slips off is Pulu’s arm.

Besides, for a player to be “held,” they need to be brought to the ground, while the tackler is still holding on to them. Pulu is still on his feet, and the attempted tackle is broken before a ruck or maul could be called. Pulu had every right to go for the try line.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'll adopt a country.

Also Pulu was tackled and held.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gimme a country, Tyma.

Aramoro posted:

I'll adopt a country.

Also Pulu was tackled and held.

Pulu is initially grounded when the Red 12 and 11 attempt their tackle, but they slide off of him due to the momentum. Pulu gets back to his feet because neither are holding him, as he is entitled to do, at which point the Red 11 has another go, but falls off as Pulu is moving forward. Pulu is clearly also regathering the ball, as the 11 makes his second attempted tackle, but at this stage, he fails to bring Pulu down to the ground. And since Pulu is still on his feet, supporting his bodyweight, and because neither a ruck nor a maul has been called, he should have every right to go for a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Hell yeah I'd like a country