Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't say Jortles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLWdxnF2bs

And here’s a little bit of gag reel from Red Nose Day apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9heVQoPUOkk

NBC also announced two weeks ago that there are extended episodes from Season 3 on Hulu and the NBC app... and there are... but only the last five episodes. Will the first seven be added at some point? Were they already up but have since expired? Why does NBC seem to not want people to see these extended cuts?

I also received my Region B blu-ray of S2 from Amazon UK today, S1 will arrive next week, and I’ll have a full report coming soon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Will they ever collate all these extended episodes for people on disc?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLWdxnF2bs

And here’s a little bit of gag reel from Red Nose Day apparently

This means nothing to absolutely anyone but me, but I love it that they shoot on the Universal lot.

That same set was used for p much all of Universal's monster movies.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Will they ever collate all these extended episodes for people on disc?
Shout! Factory’s Season 3 DVD drops July 30th

The UK Blu-ray probably hits early next year, if the previous releases are anything to go by.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Received S1 today

The lede

Season 1 has every extended episode! Unlike the Shout! Factory DVD here in the States, which is missing the extended versions of episodes 1 and 13. Season 2 has every extended episode, as well. There are absolutely no special features in either set. Each has 2.0 Stereo LPCM and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, and English SDH subtitles. Both sets are Region B coded. You will need a player which can play Region B coded discs.

All the gruesome details

Season 1 has all 13 chapters in their individual episode format. This means that, instead of Chapters 1 and 2 being in one combined episode, like the US DVD, they are two episodes. The same applies to Chapters 12 and 13. In both cases, the combined versions omit the extra footage from Chapters 1 and 13, respectively. As these extended episodes are no longer available for streaming, this Blu-ray is the only place I’m yet aware of where they can be seen.

Season 2 has the combined episode of Chapters 14 and 15, which has always been the way these Chapters have been presented — there is no known extended or separate version of either chapter.

code:
 THE GOOD PLACE S1 TRTS

01: 26:15
02: 21:31
03: 24:54
04: 22:33
05: 26:18
06: 26:21
07: 24:14
08: 25:14
09: 24:53
10: 23:47
11: 26:37
12: 21:32
13: 26:53

TOTAL PROGRAM RUNNING TIME: 321:02 (03:41:02)
The actual running time differs wildly from the package’s stated runtime of 308 minutes.

Episodes 02 and 12 are not extended, and no extended versions are known to exist. These episodes also feature the credits overlaid on the end of the program, as they originally broadcast, rather than on their own black screen.

code:
THE GOOD PLACE S2 TRTS

01: 42:40
02: 21:36
03: 23:55
04: 25:22
05: 24:39
06: 23:16
07: 23:43
08: 21:36
09: 24:47
10: 22:46
11: 23:28
12: 24:20

TOTAL PROGRAM RUNNING TIME: 302:08 (03:22:08)
The actual running time differs wildly from the package’s stated runtime of 289 minutes.

Episodes 01, 02, and 08 are not extended, and no extended versions are known to exist. These episodes also feature the credits overlaid on the end of the program, as they originally broadcast, rather than on their own black screen.

The Verdict

If you have a player which can play Region B discs, these are absolutely worth purchasing. Including shipping across the pond, these set me back $20 each, which is only $5 more than the price of the US DVDs. Shop around for deals —I saw someone on eBay selling both for about $40, that one may still be available.

The US DVDs, on the other hand, have a couple things going for them. S1 has the combined versions of 01 and 02, and 12 and 13, which have slight differences. Very slight. Also, those episodes have commentaries. There’s also a gag reel, a visual effects featurette, and a table read. S2 has only one commentary, a gag reel, and a visual effects featurette. Most of us in the thread have probably seen the fan uploads of gag reels in the past before they were taken down (and there’s not much to see anyway — it’s a gag reel.) The VFX featurettes are short and fluffy. The commentaries are the real meat, but they’re also in short supply, with only three across both sets. If each episode had one, it’d be easier to recommend. Consider that each episode has a podcast, which is functionally a commentary track but better, and the commentaries are somewhat redundant. So unless you’re a completist, and/or you can get a really good deal on them, I wouldn’t recommend them unless you aren’t able to play the Blu-rays.

EDIT: upon further review, the biggest advantage of these UK sets: British spelling

:britain:

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 4, 2019

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the Jake Jortles bit is one of my favorite "wow how stupid can we make this" jokes of all time. it's so incredibly dumb. but yet, it's amazing

What I like even more is when they have Jason screaming out “Portals”, when he jumps into the portal to the Judge. It’s such a funny evolution of his normal battle cry.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

King of Foolians posted:

What I like even more is when they have Jason screaming out “Portals”, when he jumps into the portal to the Judge. It’s such a funny evolution of his normal battle cry.

i...... never noticed this before :prepop:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Good Place Season 3 - You put the peeps in the chili and you renew for a final season
:(

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1137180211798142976?s=19

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I figured it would run five, but they've always been upfront that the show was not meant to have a long haul.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sad but good.

A tight 4 seasons is great.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I was a bit worried that they'd end up cornering themselves narratively the longer the show went on, so I'm actually a bit relieved Schur seems to have a definitive ending in mind.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was hoping for five as well, since there are so many concepts they could explore. Mike Schur knows what he's doing though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A graceful exit at 4 is better than going until you start losing writers and cast and all that

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

A graceful exit at 4 is better than going until you start losing writers and cast and all that

I just hope it leads to Marc Evan Jackson landing a leading role.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Marc Evan Jackson showing up with the short beard on Brooklyn 99 made me question my sexuality.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I just hope it leads to Marc Evan Jackson landing a leading role.

I hope it leads to William Jackson Harper as Fat Charlie in an adaptation of Ansnsi Boys.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A self decided final season is what I always want to see so I am not sad. Can't wait to see how this thing ends!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think in one of the podcasts, Mike Schur said he initially planned it as a 4 season thing, 5 at most. So this seems perfect, I would rather stick to and see whatever his vision was than see it stretched and milked. Part of the show's charm is settling into a premise and then blowing it up completely 2 episodes later. I would rather see 13 more episodes, and then see the next Michael Schur project than a bloated two seasons.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

In the real life Good Place there's a TV that, no matter when you turn it on, there's always a new The Good Place about to come on and it's always fresh and interesting and funny.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/dandiestdaisy/status/1136404177968619523
https://twitter.com/dandiestdaisy/status/1118123897231220737
https://twitter.com/dandiestdaisy/status/1128064384406781953

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PostNouveau posted:

And ideas. So after Season 7, Eleanor's in a coma and each season is a different dream she's having. In Season 8 the main characters are all playing roles in a film noir, in Season 9 they're adventurers on a Pacific island in the 1930s, in Season 10 they're the crew of a spaceship...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

PostNouveau posted:

It’s a very rock star move and the right one. Leave the people wanting more. Don’t quit because people stopped showing up.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

And ideas. So after Season 7, Eleanor's in a coma and each season is a different dream she's having. In Season 8 the main characters are all playing roles in a film noir, in Season 9 they're adventurers on a Pacific island in the 1930s, in Season 10 they're the crew of a spaceship...

I think the Archer thread is that-a-way, friend.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vietnamwees posted:

I think the Archer thread is that-a-way, friend.

:thejoke:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Oooohhh...THIS is the Bad Place!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Needs a Michael Mewtwo and Janet Ditto.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
https://twitter.com/dandiestdaisy/status/1105956862770458624

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Janet is going to be either a porygon or a rotom, I assume.

I'd been expecting five seasons, but I'm glad they're ending whenever they feel appropriate.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 8, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I knew Shur had a plan in mind, and if he is happy with 4 seasons I'm also happy. Better this than to stretch it out.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Janet is going to be either a porygon or a rotom, I assume.

I'd been expecting five seasons, but I'm glad they're ending whenever they feel appropriate.

"Not a pokedex" - Janet

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Four seasons seems like the perfect end point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can't wait to see how Derek throws a monkey wrench in the works of both the bad place and the gang

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Im happy that the show won't get watered down and the quality will maintain, but I'm also sad because this is my all time favorite show.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Im happy that the show won't get watered down and the quality will maintain, but I'm also sad because this is my all time favorite show.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

so this is the medium place!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

double nine posted:

so this is the medium place!
The Medium Place gives you a connection to SA, but no plat or upgrades and your avatar costs twice as much to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Medium Place gives you a connection to SA, but no plat or upgrades and your avatar costs twice as much to change.

No SA is definitely part of The Bad Place