Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

kidcoelacanth posted:

charly bliss live: still completely loving incredible

Yeaaaahhh that Philly show was fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Smile Like You Mean It will forever remind me of my first international flight to Tokyo & the "indie" playlist that some cool as hell American Airlines intern probably got to compile. It also introduced me to M83.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
My sister-in-law (who did not know who the Killers were or what Brandon Flowers looked like) was in Iceland the same time they were playing a show right after that album came out. She was at a nightclub waiting for her friend who was in the restroom, when Brandon Flowers walked up to her and says Hi I’m Brandon Flowers and she replies Who? Mind you, the video for the first single was being played regularly and they were just on the cover of Rolling Stone. To her credit though, she had no interest in the rock music of that time, she mostly listened to country and pop. She said he looked so dejected when one of the only Americans in the night club didn’t even know who he was.

Anyway, my friend loved that story because he hated Brandon Flowers since he came off as a pompous blowhard in a few interviews when that first album came out.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Can you really fault old Flowers for swinging for the fences, though?

Stay thirsty, my friends :cheerdoge:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

Can you really fault old Flowers for swinging for the fences, though?
When his line was just “I’m Brandon Flowers”, then yes.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Dammit, I forgot the best part. So he walks away, and the friend finally comes back from the restroom. She tells the friend Hey some dude named Brandon Flowers just came up to me. And the friend started flipping out because she did actually know who he was.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That story rules

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT
Pretty decent song by a fairly decent band I found recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPI9_Hjn4fI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like this new Pixies track in spite of it sounding like a quick medley of several of their old songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5fWtn3qF9w

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fenrir posted:

Not quite sure what to make of the new Silversun Pickups, but after 3 spins I've decided I like it.

Songbirds might be one of the best songs I've ever heard from them. That chorus harmony is absolutely killer.

It Doesn't Matter Why is everything I want from a Silversun Pickups song. After a couple of listens he album as a whole feels different to me from their others, but in a way that is still Silversun Pickups. I can't wait to hear the album live.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
As good as it is, Mr. Brightside gets waaaaaaaaaay too much credit for being a half written song that says gently caress it and just repeats itself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is Bon Iver worth seeing live?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Schremp Howard posted:

As good as it is, Mr. Brightside gets waaaaaaaaaay too much credit for being a half written song that says gently caress it and just repeats itself.

Well, I neveeeeeeeeeeer!

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is Bon Iver worth seeing live?

I’ve seen him live 4-5 times, in smaller theaters, outdoor festival settings, and an arena. I’ve always enjoyed it and at least twice been totally blown away.

That said, the prices I’ve seen for his current arena tour look bonkers (close to $200 with fees) and I’m personally not willing to pay that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DogoDogo posted:

I’ve seen him live 4-5 times, in smaller theaters, outdoor festival settings, and an arena. I’ve always enjoyed it and at least twice been totally blown away.

That said, the prices I’ve seen for his current arena tour look bonkers (close to $200 with fees) and I’m personally not willing to pay that.

Yeah that's exactly why I was asking :( I'm not a diehard fan, I enjoy a bunch of his tracks, but it's absurdly expensive this time around.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I saw Bon Iver at the Chicago Theater not long after the s/t came out and it was great, but I don't really dig arena shows unless it's like Bruce Springsteen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Blast Fantasto posted:

I saw Bon Iver at the Chicago Theater not long after the s/t came out and it was great, but I don't really dig arena shows unless it's like Bruce Springsteen.

Bruce plays stadiums more than arenas. Although I think arenas are prob still too big for Bon Iver. That NPR show he did a couple of years ago (at some sort of old repurposed building) seems the perfect size.

Edit: and $200 is no way territory for most people unless it's some cash crazy intimate show.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 9, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

howe_sam posted:

It Doesn't Matter Why is everything I want from a Silversun Pickups song. After a couple of listens he album as a whole feels different to me from their others, but in a way that is still Silversun Pickups. I can't wait to hear the album live.
Yeah I need to get out and see them this year, I haven't since the tour for Neck of the Woods, so it's been a goddamn while.

And the album is definitely different - but I think every time a new SSPU record comes out I am a little put off by it at first, then it grows on me. Sure as hell happened with Neck of the Woods (which became my favorite one) and Better Nature.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 10, 2019

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

BonoMan posted:

Bruce plays stadiums more than arenas. Although I think arenas are prob still too big for Bon Iver. That NPR show he did a couple of years ago (at some sort of old repurposed building) seems the perfect size.

yeah, that was Pioneer Works in Brooklyn and it was about 4000 cap. it also had a really fascinating setup: it's a very long and narrow building, and instead of the stage being at the far end, it was against one of the long walls. they then projected big visuals on the long wall, which was cool, cuz even if you were far away you still felt pretty immersed. excellent recording if no one's seen it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNi7aRwUzU

that said: he played like five nights in a row, they were all sold the gently caress out immediately, so I kinda get him goin big. it is interesting that he's playing some smaller venues tho, like The Anthem in DC and Theater of the Clouds in Portland. I'm kinda shocked he didn't do like 3 nights at Radio City or something, but it looks like he's just about sold out Barclays, so people must have felt okay about seeing him at an arena

does feel like arena shows are getting more and more expensive everywhere, and my tastes have shifted over the past couple years to be a lot more mainstream, so I'm feeling the pain. I refused to spend $140 on tickets for Vampire Weekend at MSG, even though I liked that new album and haven't seen them live before. I do think it's only going to be viable for bands truly at the peak of their drawing power, though: I just saw Anderson Paak undersold an MSG show featuring Thundercat and Earl Sweatshirt and I think it was because people didn't want to drop over $100 on it, not because they didn't want to see him in an arena (though the meh critical reaction to his last couple albums probably didn't help).

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

kidcoelacanth posted:

charly bliss live: still completely loving incredible

can co-sign this

they had their Mr. Brightside cover on the setlist but they had some die-hard fans there who asked for their Steal My Sunshine cover

and guess what, it banged

I got them all to sign my poster from their 2017 tour and they were all very pleasant and nice

as far as arena shows getting more expensive, Lorde for $82 for the worst seats in an un-sold-out house was my indication things are getting a little wacky. Though since one of my best friends is legally blind I've been testing out the worst seats in the house (since he can't see poo poo outside of the first five rows), and I found that the 300s in MSG are actually great for audio, so I got the cheap-rear end $30 VW tickets there for September. Got the National and Courtney Barnett on Wednesday, Death Cab in Colorado in two weeks, King Gizz and VW, and I'm considering Kurt Vile and/or Beach House to fill out the concert schedule

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 11, 2019

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I paid around $300 last year for a Meet and Greet VIP package for Weird Al and nothing will ever come close to that kind of value for me.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

CRINDY posted:

can co-sign this

they had their Mr. Brightside cover on the setlist but they had some die-hard fans there who asked for their Steal My Sunshine cover

and guess what, it banged

Oooh, I was hoping they'd play steal my sunshine again.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Watching Berninger dance on Fallon turned me off The National completely.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just recently discovered Owl John through Spotify's new Stations app (which is loving awesome).

"Oh this is great lemme look 'em up.... hmmm the first and only album is from 2014 - I wonder why they don't have a follow up yet."

*checks Wiki*

quote:

Owl John is the only album by Owl John, the solo musical project by Frightened Rabbit vocalist and guitarist Scott Hutchison.

Oh goddamnit :(.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Charly Bliss still at the top of their game live. New stuff is good, but everything on Guppy is made to be live. They are so much drat fun.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Poppy single from this fun Winnipeg singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvllbjrTbQk

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Looks like that leak was real. New SK album is called "The Center Won't Hold", drops August 16. They added extra dates for Chicago, Portland, Seattle and Oakland.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Looks like that leak was real. New SK album is called "The Center Won't Hold", drops August 16. They added extra dates for Chicago, Portland, Seattle and Oakland.

gently caress yeaahhhh

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

New single out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP_2p79Ems4

You can zoom in on the images of the new album on their store to see the tracklist

1. The Center Won't Hold
2. Hurry On Home
3. Reach Out
4. Can I Go On
5. Restless
6. Ruins (?)
7. Love
8. Bad Dance
9. The Future is Here
10. The Dog/The Body
11. Broken

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 14, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

gently caress yes i got a ticket to seattle show #2

couldnt believe gen admission was sold out on first night within 3 min of going on sale

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Speaking of Bruce, his latest album “Western Stars” is now released. Only had the one listening but first impressions are very good. First and last songs are really strong.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress yes i got a ticket to seattle show #2

couldnt believe gen admission was sold out on first night within 3 min of going on sale

Going to see them in Boise

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I'm a big fan of Sleater Kinney's older stuff, but hmmm... Are my ears busted or does this stink?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 15, 2019

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Seeing A R I Z O N A tonight for the second time. They're so drat good and exemplary of what EDM could be.

Oceans Away - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MoAdVyuEuU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
at Lincoln Hall waiting for Charly Bliss to start. I'll let you guys know if they're any good at all

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

at Lincoln Hall waiting for Charly Bliss to start. I'll let you guys know if they're any good at all

They have a good encore cover song. I wasn't expecting it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
i hope it's the one I'm hoping it is

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
goddamn

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm a big fan of Sleater Kinney's older stuff, but hmmm... Are my ears busted or does this stink?
Your ears stink, sorry.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Got two tickets for NYC during the presale, gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Speaking of Bruce, his latest album “Western Stars” is now released. Only had the one listening but first impressions are very good. First and last songs are really strong.

This made me check the forum to find that there is no Bruce Springsteen thread. I'm going to fix that later tonight.