Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

google THIS

Agree on the first three thing, after that it's basically a spin-off of itself and it fast-forwards by literally millennia and loses basically all the wild untamed desert and danger and mystery and intrigue that made the series appealing to begin with. I stubbornly pushed through to about halfway through the sixth book thinking I might as well finish what I started, then I got distracted and I honestly haven't felt the urge to pick it back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

can I just say that it's perfectly reasonable to hate Sting, but also realize that his smug rear end is pretty much perfect in the movie

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

can I just say that it's perfectly reasonable to hate Sting, but also realize that his smug rear end is pretty much perfect in the movie

his smug rear end is VERY PERFECT in this movie yes.

his smug rear end is perfect in general tho, like have you seen it? it's a good rear end.

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

his smug rear end is VERY PERFECT in this movie yes.

his smug rear end is perfect in general tho, like have you seen it? it's a good rear end.

for me, sting is one of the few things I really liked about the movie. I liked the sandworm animations too and I guess the guild navigator was neat. haven't seen it in a while, maybe my opinion would soften.

kyle is a great actor but I found him so drat far from my mental image of paul. I had a hard time getting past the dumbness of black stillsuits in the desert, I mean of course this was done for filming reasons--you need the audience to see the fremen, not miss them--but it was such a glaringly wrong thing. elder harkonnen was too campy evil, too jabba the hutt, I wanted someone believably toxic and awful. thufir hawat looked goofy, not like a believable human computer. the opening voiceover annoyed me beyond words, in a way far more ham-fisted than the cliched star wars crawl.

eh, it was an exercise in style. fine from a filmmaking perspective but I didn't find it particularly complementary to the text, so it just annoyed me.

to the extent the op is legitimately asking, I started it a couple of times before I really got into it, but ultimately I liked the first one a good deal. the sequels got progressively less engaging, I have no memory of where I stopped.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
The first book is very good. The second and third books are okay. Things go downhill rapidly after that.

The Lynch movie left much of the plot on the cutting room floor, and I didn't care for the noir/baroque sets and costumes.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I dug the Lynch movie because it's Lynch, and I went in expecting it. Kyle is also one of my favorite actors and I saw it first, before the book, as a kid, so a lot of it is also nostalgia for me.

Basically Dune is 100% nostalgia for me because while my entire childhood was a spectacularly bad shitshow, my dad and I bonded hard over Dune, Lynch movies, Gaiman books and sci-fi/weird horror I'm general because it took us away from the everyday horror we experienced.

super sweet best pal

Dune's good. There's a lot that doesn't come across in the film adaptation so it's definitely worth a read.

I really like the precognitive abilities in the story, especially how there are valleys of uncertainty that can occur further down the timeline as the result of a choice.

I kind of wish copyright durations hadn't been extended, that book deserves to be in the public domain so everyone can read it.

Stoner Sloth

super sweet best pal posted:

Dune's good. There's a lot that doesn't come across in the film adaptation so it's definitely worth a read.

I really like the precognitive abilities in the story, especially how there are valleys of uncertainty that can occur further down the timeline as the result of a choice.

I kind of wish copyright durations hadn't been extended, that book deserves to be in the public domain so everyone can read it.

:agreed: that's kinda what makes me like the God Emperor of Dune despite it's many flaws

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

alnilam

I read the first dune very long ago amd loved it I've been thinking if reading it again but i probably will never read any sequels

alnilam

The themes of dune include, i think, things like
ecology
colonialism and popular uprisings
gettin high af / trippin ballz
sand worms

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
dank herberts fume

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Manifisto

Book Review: Dune by Frank Herbert.

You might not realize that Herbert is perhaps the most popular writer in American science fiction. Dune seems to reflect that. It's about a vast desert planet orbiting a huge number of stars. Some of the major planets here are inhabited by humanoids, and some of them are not inhabited at all. That's the thing about science fiction. The human subject makes it seem like there are rules and parameters that apply; that we have a set of rules we adhere to that have some consequences. But there's nothing to enforce all of that. And even if you could force the world to conform, you could only ever impose the bounds on what could be published by way of the copyright. All you end up with is a set of weird conventions and rules about what can and can't be published, and then it's on to the next thing. That's what Herbert was doing, and that's what Dune did, and I think he was making a great deal more with some of the ideas that Herbert explored than with some of the things he didn't take the time to explore. But the underlying problem with all these science-fiction books is that nobody ever really believes they know what they're going to be written about. And there's an interesting dichotomy in these works: there are these weird rules set out by some kind of benevolent God,

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Manifisto

I feel like a lot of middle schoolers could probably hand in byobot-generated essays and get low passing grades

I'm imagining the scribbled red marker where the teacher thinks the student is going off the rails

mentally tossing around a "byobot or not?" type thread in which we present examples of human and byobot generated writing and see if anyone thinks the human version came from the bot, sort of a reverse turing test

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My sci-fi/fantasy to-read list:

1) Dune
2) Time's arrow
3) Book of the new sun

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

This also applies to The Big Lebowski.

Nosfereefer

sting does an excellent role in big lebowski, its true

Stoner Sloth

The Clowner posted:

This also applies to The Big Lebowski.

Seriously, dude, pre-born year olds.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

joke_explainer

Dune has themes

beer pal

im gonna read dune

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

google THIS

Another BYOB success story

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

beer pal posted:

im gonna read dune

Congratulations on your impending NERD OPINIONS

beer pal

bunp this thread every time you read dune

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

im gonna read dune

sorry but your going to find that it doesn't have many themes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

The Clowner posted:

My sci-fi/fantasy to-read list:

2) Time's arrow

how int he world do you figure that this is sci fi/fantas....oh, wait, your the loving clowner

----------------

vanisher

cda posted:

It's got dunes, but you might have guessed that from the title

cda

by Hand Knit
Time's Arrow is a really, really good book that nobody should read becaus it's so crushingly bleak. no wonder the clowner loves it. it probably made him who he is

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

vanisher posted:

It's got dunes, but you might have guessed that from the title

generally speaking, authors try and point you in the direction of the most important symbols, themes, and characters with the title of their books. ex. "Moby Dick," "The Scarlet Letter" "Hills Like White Elephants," "White Noise," "Dune"

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
nonetheless, let's read dune together

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Dune by Frank Herbert

Chapter One

Bob Dune was a big, sandy man who lived on a beach. That was why his parents had named him Bob Dune.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
I am about to sit in my back yard and begin the science fiction book A Memory Called Empire. I will let you know if there are any dunes, or any themes, in it.

----------------

beer pal

cda posted:

is this true?? im getting mixed messages about if theres themes

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Main theme: there's not a Penzey's on Caladan.

beer pal

heres the sci fi books ive read recently:

the dispossessed (ursula le guin) A+, tons of themes
left hand of darkness (also le guin) you better believe theres themes in this one
consider phlebas (iain banks) - sure its got a bit of themes going on but the themes to pages ratio was pretty low for my taste. very low themes density imo
now im reading under the skin (michel faber) and im only a few chapters in but im getting some whiffs of themes

Manifisto

cda posted:

Dune by Frank Herbert

Chapter One

Bob Dune was a big, sandy man who lived on a beach. That was why his parents had named him Bob Dune.

"BD," as his friends knew him, was on the brink of coming of age, was coming to grips with mortality and the human condition, was on the brink of his first love affair, was definitely either a pawn of fate or master of his destiny, regularly denied and rejected the divine but was about to have a world-shattering revelation, had a complicated relationship with his parents and was unsure how this would affect his own future as a parent, was just beginning to engage with Art, and was likely in for a conflict of man vs. man, man vs. nature, man vs. himself, or man vs. society--among other themes. BD's friends had nicknamed him "theme dude" owing to the sheer density of themes he had going on.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

"I will come of age no matter how many chapters it takes!" Declared Mr. Dune.

alnilam

beer pal posted:

heres the sci fi books ive read recently:

the dispossessed (ursula le guin) A+, tons of themes
left hand of darkness (also le guin) you better believe theres themes in this one
consider phlebas (iain banks) - sure its got a bit of themes going on but the themes to pages ratio was pretty low for my taste. very low themes density imo
now im reading under the skin (michel faber) and im only a few chapters in but im getting some whiffs of themes

big fan of themes over here

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

pune

super sweet best pal

Stoner Sloth posted:

:agreed: that's kinda what makes me like the God Emperor of Dune despite it's many flaws

I've only read the original but I'm glad to hear that continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

cda posted:

I am about to sit in my back yard and begin the science fiction book A Memory Called Empire. I will let you know if there are any dunes, or any themes, in it.

What did you think? I liked it.