Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

redeyes posted:

1903 has one cool feature I enjoy. You can make the mouse cursor HUGE and colored. :D

Hey that is pretty cool. It's enjoyably stupid like the sort of poo poo you used to be able to do in Win9x

I have a problem with 1903 because I am a stubborn rear end that refuses to get rid of oooooold hardware. I've got a Dell Optiplex 990 that still has one legacy PCI slot and in that slot I've got an Audigy 2 that stopped working after updating. I am still 9 years old on the inside and I enjoy the stupid DSP effects this card offers. I had it working with the Daniel K drivers but that doesn't work anymore. (http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/)

It's hilarious making even the system sounds echo and boom like an idiot and i want it to work again dammit!

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

1903 has one cool feature I enjoy. You can make the mouse cursor HUGE and colored. :D

I've always been into bigger mouse cursors (always have it set to "large" or "very large" dependent on resolution): The new scaling method makes the cursor look weird (and the text selection version harder to use than necessary, but easier to see), so I'm still using the old (control panel) method for increasing cursor size.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 2, 2019

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

Site:forums.somethingawful.com ?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah, but the paywall...

They mean typing "site:forums.somethingawful.com" as a search term into Google, not using the SA Forums search feature.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A good poster posted:

They mean typing "site:forums.somethingawful.com" as a search term into Google, not using the SA Forums search feature.
I think they're saying that the paywall prevents Google from indexing the full forums.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mystes posted:

I think they're saying that the paywall prevents Google from indexing the full forums.

Yes, this. Although that's an idea. Using the built-in search should be usef...

Ohhh.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
As much as linear forums are much better for conversation than reddit-style threads, they don't index as well. The SA style of big megathreads where there are people talking about a dozen different things at once makes it even worse.

Says a lot that the dominant platforms for internet discourse became the ones that were more suited for machines than people.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Lambert posted:

Did you already try changing back to the Windows 10 default theme ("Themes" menu in Personalization)

i just figured this out. i'm an idiot and forgot about displayfusion, it updated a week or two ago and changed the default for changing aero color from "do not" to "change based on application"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose there's no way to change what power plan Windows is supposed to switch to when locking the screen? Windows staying in the balanced plan makes like 20W difference per my UPS, and I'm not sure why it shouldn't go into the power saving plan when locked.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not sure there's anything built in, but it looks like it'd be possible to write a small program that monitors the workstation becoming locked/unlocked, and switch power plan when it does. Might even be possible to do with just a scheduled task and some PowerShell or VBS, via the Win32_PowerPlan WMI class.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose there's no way to change what power plan Windows is supposed to switch to when locking the screen? Windows staying in the balanced plan makes like 20W difference per my UPS, and I'm not sure why it shouldn't go into the power saving plan when locked.

Locking is a security thing, not an indication you're afk and the computer should change power plans. The one thing it does along those lines is switch the monitor off much faster, but that's like the screen is just showing a login, so why not?

The real question is, why not just run in balanced mode all the time? Most of the extra 20 watts are because your CPU is running at 100% all the time, rather than down-clocking when idle and running full speed only when it has work to do. CPU power saving is good & smart, the cases where it doesn't react 1000 times faster than you can perceive are far and few between.

(In particular, if you have a Ryzen CPU and are using the "Ryzen Balanced" power mode that came with the drivers, don't bother using that anymore. It was a kludge solution to a problem windows had with mis-using a power saving feature, and they solved it by making the CPU run at minimum 95% power. Windows has long been patched to fix the problem, but AMD is still distributing a thing that makes your CPU waste power. They ain't paying your electric bill.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It looks like Combat Pretzel is saying they're normally running in the balanced power plan and would like the computer to switch to the power saving power plan when locked.

It feels like something that should be achievable with creative use of the task scheduler and command lines to switch to the appropriate plan, like nielsm said. There should be event triggers for locking and unlocking the pc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I'm using the balanced plan all time. For whatever, it uses +20W over the power saver one. My system idles at higher frequencies on the balanced plan since 1903.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
1903 status update: The "listen to this device" bug still isn't fixed. Also, getting tons of weird intermittent start menu bugs, with the start menu appearing at the wrong screen corner. This is on a fresh install.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh, my bad, I interpreted that the wrong way.

I just checked my Balanced plan and apparently my minimum CPU got set to 5%, possibly when I just updated to 1903. I think it needs to be 0% to put the CPU into the lowest power state.

For the idea of a script that changes power plans when locked, there's a powershell script that already exists to detect logged in vs locked status.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Encountering the 1903 bug on the computer I set up for my parents where I go to Settings -> Apps and the whole thing closes. Good thing they don't need to get to Apps I suppose.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Encountering the 1903 bug on the computer I set up for my parents where I go to Settings -> Apps and the whole thing closes. Good thing they don't need to get to Apps I suppose.

Yeah I got that on all my computers. Have you tried going to the store and updating everything? New App Store app fixed it for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Setting up OneDrive on a fresh install is fun. It crashes when you try to use a different location using the setup wizard.

This is pathetic, 4 years in with Windows 10 and we're getting poo poo like this. What the actual gently caress do they do with all their telemetry?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

How about a new thread title?

"Windows 10: LTSC (or install Ubuntu)"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Noticed 1903 now intercepts U2F requests on websites. Works fine for Chrome, but breaks Thunderbird and third-party sandboxes. Dunno about Firefox.

Rather annoying, that. At least OG Keepass with KeeChallenge still works fine, else I'd be locked out of all my accounts on Windows.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Is it still best practice to create separate admin and user accounts on Windows 10? I'd be the only one using the computer and I keep UAC enabled and don't click on random poo poo anyways. I've done separate accounts in the past but it can be kind of annoying sometimes.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I keep one around just for like if the account is corrupted somehow. Happy to hear why this is terrible though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Single account + UAC to max settings is fine for home use

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Mozi posted:

Is it still best practice to create separate admin and user accounts on Windows 10? I'd be the only one using the computer and I keep UAC enabled and don't click on random poo poo anyways. I've done separate accounts in the past but it can be kind of annoying sometimes.

I did this for a new computer I set up for my parents. Windows 10 Pro 1903, installed ScreenConnect, configured their limited account to auto-login. Added an admin account I use to install software for them, etc.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1133384839321853954

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
What is the use case for a permanent admin account that you couldn't accomplish by just booting into safe mode? If you're installing software and logging in/out of user accounts, it would take a trivial amount of extra time to just Shift+Restart.

I can't think of anything I would need an admin account for that I couldn't do in safe mode, or that I wouldn't rather do in safe mode. Some kind of software installation that requires a normal Windows instance? I genuinely don't know. I just have a regular admin user account with UAC on.

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 6, 2019

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

My dream: MS actually commits to releasing well-tested, bug-free OS updates again
My realistic dream that seems like something they'll potentially do: charmap.exe becomes resizeable and gains other features like searching.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Nam Taf posted:

My dream: MS actually commits to releasing well-tested, bug-free OS updates again
My realistic dream that seems like something they'll potentially do: charmap.exe becomes resizeable and gains other features like searching.

Symbol input (Win+.) isn't searchable but it's a lot easier to find stuff than opening charmap

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

What is the use case for a permanent admin account that you couldn't accomplish by just booting into safe mode? If you're installing software and logging in/out of user accounts, it would take a trivial amount of extra time to just Shift+Restart.

The admin account wouldn't need booting or logging out. Right click on the installer .exe, "Run as different user".

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Saukkis posted:

The admin account wouldn't need booting or logging out. Right click on the installer .exe, "Run as different user".
I've never done even that. You just run the installer and if at any point it needs the elevated privileges, it'll ask for it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

You have to do a non-trivial amount of work to enable using the Windows Installer service in Safe Mode.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Nam Taf posted:

MS is pushing devops pretty hard, so I doubt they will stop pushing to production "at an increased cadence" in order to "make use of robust telemetry and feedback" any time soon.

BUZZWORDS

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Milkman posted:

Symbol input (Win+.) isn't searchable but it's a lot easier to find stuff than opening charmap

It also stutters a lot (in 1903) including duplicating mouse cursor.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Milkman posted:

It is searchable, just start typing.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

The Milkman posted:

I had no idea this existed, this is great! Except that it's only for emojis, not all of the ascii/unicode characters that I don't have on my keyboard.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Nam Taf posted:

I had no idea this existed, this is great! Except that it's only for emojis, not all of the ascii/unicode characters that I don't have on my keyboard.

It definitely has all those other characters in 1903.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Is there any way to remove the search bar from the task bar on 1903? My laptop has a somewhat narrow 3:2 aspect display and the search bar takes up literally 25% of the width and I would prefer it to... not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr.Radar posted:

Is there any way to remove the search bar from the task bar on 1903? My laptop has a somewhat narrow 3:2 aspect display and the search bar takes up literally 25% of the width and I would prefer it to... not.

Right click it, select hidden, same as every other version of Windows 10.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

chutwig posted:

It definitely has all those other characters in 1903.

Ah, then I shall continue to wait until 1903 finally makes it to me sometime in 2025

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

fishmech posted:

Right click it, select hidden, same as every other version of Windows 10.

:doh: Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Apparently NoScript has been recently made available as a Chrome extension. I was browsing a wiki last night that was clearly doing some weird poo poo in the background, so I installed it. I have a question about the default settings.

It's set out-of-the box to block the following: script, object, media, font, webgl. The three remaining things that it allows are frame, fetch, and "other". There's no explanation of what each does. What are all these things, and should I be blocking frame, fetch, and "other" by default as well?