Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Daemon World owns and it's the best Ben Counter book by a mile imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Having read every HH novel I just wanted to pop in and say how good a job of scale the solar war is doing

poo poo is epic, huge space battles are feeling huge :frogsiren:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Yeah solar war is really good. I'm not sure that he stuck the landing 100%, but it didn't dull my overall super positive reaction.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Spear of the Emperor up for pre-order now

https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/spear-of-the-emperor-ebook.html

Audiobook too: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Spear-...JK6BHFPEBRCFCYD

Plavski fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 8, 2019

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ADB just confirmed on a facebook comment that he is writing the 3rd black legion book as soon as he finishes the sequel to Spear of the Emperor. Also, he had said a few months ago that he was already halfway done with the Spear sequel when he finished the first book so that he could ensure there wasn't a long wait.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just finished the first book in the Ultramarines' omnibus, Nightbringer: It was a stupid ending, but fitting I guess. The best character is dead, and a massively powerful C'Tan has been freed to go feed on stars and rebuild its strength. Somehow this is a victory for the Ultramarines. Hooray.

An impressive effort for a first book, but ultimately not good. Would not recommend.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just finished the first book in the Ultramarines' omnibus, Nightbringer: It was a stupid ending, but fitting I guess. The best character is dead, and a massively powerful C'Tan has been freed to go feed on stars and rebuild its strength. Somehow this is a victory for the Ultramarines. Hooray.

An impressive effort for a first book, but ultimately not good. Would not recommend.

I've not gone back and read McNeil's ultramarines books since reading the Horus Heresy novels. I would imagine it to be really jarring to compare Ventris to Ventanus, or any heresy era ultramarine to their 40k counterparts.

The 2nd book is better I found it to the best of the three.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For anyone with a sense of humour, the Emperor's Text to Speech Podcast spinoff looks at Ian Watson's first Inquisitor book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKC5fxhIZo

This is... something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

rocket_Magnet posted:

I've not gone back and read McNeil's ultramarines books since reading the Horus Heresy novels. I would imagine it to be really jarring to compare Ventris to Ventanus, or any heresy era ultramarine to their 40k counterparts.

The 2nd book is better I found it to the best of the three.

I honestly can't wait to read more HH-era Ultramarines, as I kind of like Rowboat as a character? At least from what little I know about him. Comparing him and Ultramarines who know that the Emperor isn't a god to these ridiculously religious zealots will be interesting for sure. Blessings before battle! Prayers all the time! Trust in the Emperor, amen!

I'm looking forward to the second book because tyranids I love these horrible alien locusts. There's an omnibus focused on them coming out later this year and I am excited for it, because they're so wonderfully ripe for horror stories. But yes - I've got to finish this urban fantasy novel first, then I'll dive right in. And I'm looking forward to Dead Sky Black Sun a lot as its reputation is wild.

PS I find it really interesting that Graham McNeill wrote his first novel then wrote his best book (Storm of Iron) the next year, then went back to Ultramarines and churned out two books in one year. The timeline of his publishing stuff on wikipedia is worth a look.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Finally had time to sit down and read the Kal Jerico trilogy, spurred on by the new novel being released in August.

All in all, pretty good. Fun. Interesting side characters. But the writing, especially for Blood Royal, was rough. The obvious is explained and re-explained, lots of telling and not showing. All of Kal's dialogue felt like it needed one more pass through - It was clear what the writer(s) were going for, they just didn't often get it.

I saved the comics for last, probably some time closer to Sinner's Bounty. They're how I was introduce to Kal, it will be interesting to see if they hold up.

I'm waiting to see if the final old world stories will be collected in a fifth and sixth omnibus before starting a similar read through of the Gotrek and Felix series. Definitely planning on picking up Ghoulslayer and the Realmslayer script book as well.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I've fallen woefully behind on the HH series so much so I've only just got done with old earth. I've ordered burden of loyalty & wolfsbane how do they compare with rest of the series?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Arcsquad12 posted:

For anyone with a sense of humour,
:)

Arcsquad12 posted:

the Emperor's Text to Speech
:saddowns:

Is the podcast more bearable than the YouTube series?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on your tolerance for Rogal Dorn, half naked Custodes, a phlegmy child and frequent shouting matches.

If you don't like the YouTube series it's not going to change your mind, but I'm not trying to change anyone's minds. I put it up for people who want it and don't mind a bit of levity.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 9, 2019

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
It’s good that GW has retconned Abbadon away from being one gigantic failure after another, but I think they may have gone slightly too far the other way (in the modern era, not HH or the ADB series.) Now all 13 Black Crusades were a carefully orchestrated plan that has taken 10,000 years to pull off. Couldn’t like...some of them have been successful while others were failures, either due to Abbadon’s mistakes, Imperial strategy, or just weight of numbers/material? I know GW is not great at the middle ground but it would be so much better here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

Gilded choir platforms extended through the opening and unfurled, like the spreading wings of a metal bird. The choristers were singing complex mathematical melodies in thirteen part binaric cant, and as the sounds left their augmitters, they turned into hololithic data-streams that wound away into the air like scrolling banners.

And then his throne descends between the two choirs with a mighty sound and I love how baroque and bizarre the visuals in 40k are.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

moths posted:

:)

:saddowns:

Is the podcast more bearable than the YouTube series?

I mostly enjoy the series but i feel like its taking itself a bit too seriously these days, but the podcast is pretty awful.

However Ian Watson's books are so batshit crazy anything commenting on them is probably entertaining.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

von Metternich posted:

It’s good that GW has retconned Abbadon away from being one gigantic failure after another, but I think they may have gone slightly too far the other way (in the modern era, not HH or the ADB series.) Now all 13 Black Crusades were a carefully orchestrated plan that has taken 10,000 years to pull off. Couldn’t like...some of them have been successful while others were failures, either due to Abbadon’s mistakes, Imperial strategy, or just weight of numbers/material? I know GW is not great at the middle ground but it would be so much better here.

Wasn't their stance on the matter in the early-mid 2000's that "he failed his main goal, but accomplished his secondary goals" on each of the Black Crusades? Usually because the secondary goals tended to be what he went after ASAP, before the Imperium could bring it's full might against him?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

For anyone with a sense of humour, the Emperor's Text to Speech Podcast spinoff looks at Ian Watson's first Inquisitor book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKC5fxhIZo

This is... something.

Some good (batshit insane) ideas from Ian, also a lot of really bad ones (edgy and boring) and no sense of story telling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That ten minute long rant about the bone-iness of the dudes armor was amazing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Randalor posted:

Wasn't their stance on the matter in the early-mid 2000's that "he failed his main goal, but accomplished his secondary goals" on each of the Black Crusades? Usually because the secondary goals tended to be what he went after ASAP, before the Imperium could bring it's full might against him?

That's how its always been as far as I remember. Then the fanbase just sorta spun it out as Abaddon the armless failure for slong it became the norm view of him.

MariusLecter posted:

Some good (batshit insane) ideas from Ian, also a lot of really bad ones (edgy and boring) and no sense of story telling.

This pretty much sums up the first book pretty well. Far too much purple prose for its own good to the point it begins diluting everything.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Started Atlas Infernal yesterday - did anyone else get a kind of “Doctor Who in 40k” vibe from this?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

That's how its always been as far as I remember. Then the fanbase just sorta spun it out as Abaddon the armless failure for slong it became the norm view of him.

Wasn't the "armless" part because his old metal model's arms would fall off all the time?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't the "armless" part because his old metal model's arms would fall off all the time?

Yup, that was the origin as I remember it as well.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Warhammer Community posted an interesting article with background on the Emperor's Spears in anticipation of the book releasing Saturday about which I am hyped as gently caress

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/12/who-are-the-emperors-spearsgw-homepage-post-4/

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Astartes part 4!

https://youtu.be/V2B6de1Geks

Jesus, this really needs to get picked up by GW. The bolters on full auto, the psi-shields. Soooo good.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

Astartes part 4!

Jesus, this really needs to get picked up by GW. The bolters on full auto, the psi-shields. Soooo good.
just came here to post this

gently caress me, each one is crazier and better than the last

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ignoring everything else with it it is still so much better than other 40k cinematics just by not having any cheesy voice acting.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

D-Pad posted:

Astartes part 4!

Omg

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Biplane posted:

Are any of the loose ends in that series picked up somewhere else? tiger tiger

There's a short story set after it which seems to imply things aren't so settled after all.

Astartes is fuckin' baller.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 14, 2019

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Finished Spear of the Emperor.

Some cool bits, loved the idea of the Mentor legion and hope it's explored more. I love reading about Astartes forces and how they play a part, e.g. Wrath of Iron had some good bits around how they dealt with resupply etc. The idea that Gulliman is mooting the idea of giving up on Imperium Nihilus was interesting.

I know ADB is working on a sequel.. however I really think a story like this would have suited a couple of Richard Morgan length novels rather than BL pissy page lengths. The Night Lords trilogies all felt better on their own, while this to me needed a little more. Aside from that another great ADB book.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 17, 2019

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've started dipping my toe into Black Library stuff and thought I'd check out the early Horus Heresy books. I also collect books so I thought I'd get the hardcovers.

:eek:

I think I'll stick with ebooks for this series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

I've started dipping my toe into Black Library stuff and thought I'd check out the early Horus Heresy books. I also collect books so I thought I'd get the hardcovers.

:eek:

I think I'll stick with ebooks for this series.

Hahaha, yeah. I've resigned myself to paying above-average prices for used paperbacks for these things. Ah well, at least the omnibuses are great deals!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ed balls balls man posted:

Finished Spear of the Emperor.

Some cool bits, loved the idea of the Mentor legion and hope it's explored more. I love reading about Astartes forces and how they play a part, e.g. Wrath of Iron had some good bits around how they dealt with resupply etc. The idea that Gulliman is mooting the idea of giving up on Imperium Nihilus was interesting.

I know ADB is working on a sequel.. however I really think a story like this would have suited a couple of Richard Morgan length novels rather than BL pissy page lengths. The Night Lords trilogies all felt better on their own, while this to me needed a little more. Aside from that another great ADB book.

I agree with all of this. Loved it, but it was definitely too short. The good thing is that ADB posted a while back that he was trying something different with this series and had half the 2nd book complete by the time he finished the first so we should be seeing it pretty soon since the collectors edition of the first came out like 6 months ago. He also confirmed he is starting on the 3rd Black Legion once the 2nd is finished.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is the book you guys are talking about Spear Of The Emperor? Because I see a book that’s due to be released in December, is that the sequel?

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Heer98 posted:

Is the book you guys are talking about Spear Of The Emperor? Because I see a book that’s due to be released in December, is that the sequel?

The limited edition of it game out 6 months ago I believe, and the kindle version (in the UK atleast, not sure about other territories) was released last Saturday on the BL website and Amazon. But yeah, is Spear of the Emperor.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The audio book is out as well

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

The limited edition of it game out 6 months ago I believe, and the kindle version (in the UK atleast, not sure about other territories) was released last Saturday on the BL website and Amazon. But yeah, is Spear of the Emperor.

Ah, gotcha thanks! I’m hoping I can grab it for my kindle to read on a long flight this Friday.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Spears of the emperor was good though I feel like it lost it's pacing in the last third enjoyed it immensely.

The pure and their whole deal building a new imperium in the blown up wreckage of the imperium was awesome.

The constant references to the other side being the "true" imperium just cement how these chapters feel abandoned it's great.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zasze posted:

Spears of the emperor was good though I feel like it lost it's pacing in the last third enjoyed it immensely.

The pure and their whole deal building a new imperium in the blown up wreckage of the imperium was awesome.

The constant references to the other side being the "true" imperium just cement how these chapters feel abandoned it's great.

Yeah this really got me thinking about how permanent the warp rift splitting the galaxy is going to be. If it continues for too long Imperium Nihilus will fall.

My theory is GW is setting this up to be the big series to replace Horus Heresy. HH finishing is going to leave a big hole in their BL finances and publishing schedule.

The Indomitus crusade fizzled out and despite some large gains Imperium Nihilus is circling the drain. I think we are going to get some more loyalist primarchs back over the next year or two, as has been rumored, and see continued degradation of Imperium Nihilus. This will setup a big series to replace HH after Siege of Terra finishes in which we either see a crusade that dwarfs even the Indomitus crusade to take back Nihilus led by multiple loyalist primarchs, or a civil war between the two sides of the galaxy that echoes HH.

Who knows, but the current status quo will have to be resolved at some point or the Imperium only being half the galaxy will solidify for good. I think resolving this issue is big enough that they could construct a series on the scale of HH around it.

Edit: I think we will find out which way things are heading in the new Cawl novel. He is going to Sotha and it's called The Great Work and BW is touting it as having huge lore implications. If Cawl can get the beacon working again Imperium Nihilus would have an astronomicon equivalent and would be in much better shape. It would mean a true second Imperium could be possible if a strong enough leader stepped up, I'm thinking the Lion. Which sets up the civil war scenario instead of crusade scenario.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

God drat, but the Celestial Lions cannot catch a break.