Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gripweed posted:

Nobody wants a new City of Heroes, we all just want a game with City of Heroes level character customization

Actually a lot of people do given how many are trying to play the illegal relaunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers/status/1137531517972799488

This is definitely gonna be a thing where you make your own character and then choose which Avengers' power it has

Ya honestly if the powers are cool and extensive I rather make my own character, have the real superheroes as npcs n stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Policenaut posted:

Actually a lot of people do given how many are trying to play the illegal relaunch.

The game was a thing to do with the super-personalized and unique character you created. If you put that level of character customization in any other decent online game, way fewer people would want to play CoH again

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Was CoH advertised alot? I feel the game had huge word of mouth from people telling irl friends to get it. I only started the game because my coworkers loved it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had to play CoH for school and it wasnt fun.

I also dont give a poo poo about character creation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

Was CoH advertised alot? I feel the game had huge word of mouth from people telling irl friends to get it. I only started the game because my coworkers loved it.

They released the character creator a little bit before the game came out, and that was pretty big.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Nobody wants a new City of Heroes, we all just want a game with City of Heroes level character customization

And the travel powers

which Saints Row 4 basically ripped off/improved

I basically just want a Saints Row 5 but without the Saints Row 1-3 trappings

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

coh was basically a really weird arpg with an amazing character creator that though it was an mmo

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

NecroMonster posted:

coh was basically a really weird arpg with an amazing character creator that though it was an mmo

Sounds perfect.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It also had an amazing tone/community in spite of how toxic MMOs could be at the time. And it made playing a support character really fun.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it let you feel powerful. despite many many attempts by the devs (for like half of the games life) to "fix" that.

it was a cool and rad game that could have been even better and a way bigger thing if the devs had actually understood the game and if the publisher wasn't intent on killing it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

"Some money is better than no money." Except that's not how big corporations see it. I was a loyal player of City of Heroes. I bought all the expansions, spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on extra costumes, powers, animations, base sets, and so on. Then they got sold to NCSoft, and NCSoft decided that while City of Heroes was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough . They turned it free-to-pay and pay-to-win, and then when they still weren't making enough money, they just shut the whole thing down and stole everyone's money. I haven't played an MMO since; they have permanently turned off me and an unknown number of people from MMOs with their lovely, greedy, sociopathic behaviour. They were approached by several companies who offered to buy City of Heroes from them in order to keep the servers running — and NCSoft refused because they wanted a bigger payout. If they couldn't make extortionate profit, they weren't interested. Remember that City of Heroes wasn't losing money. It just wasn't making as much money as NCSoft wanted. The corporate lizard kings who run these companies don't give a flying gently caress about games, gamers, or gaming. As far as they're concerned, games are just an annoyance they have to deal with in order to turn a profit. They aren't interested in servicing niche markets, they're interested in maximum return on investment, and that means everyone fighting for the same largest slice of pie. It's the same reason why music, film, television, and comic books all look the same these days. And just like those fields, the reason the independents can't get their foot in the door is the 800 pound gorillas squatting in the middle of the room have seized all the distribution networks to give themselves a monopoly in the belief this will force people to consume their rancid poo poo because there's nothing else available.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This quote doesn't even tell the whole story. City of Heroes was shut down in favor or releasing Wildstar.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This quote doesn't even tell the whole story. City of Heroes was shut down in favor or releasing Wildstar.

It tells the part where that guy was addicted to an mmo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wildstar was definitely one of those bombs I enjoyed the hell out of watching fail

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It tells the part where that guy was addicted to an mmo.

Spent hundreds of dollars is pretty lol. That part is on him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Wow that just has to suck

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow that just has to suck

Even at Wildstars height, City of Heroes was overwhelmingly more popular and successful. Easily one of the biggest miscalculations in the MMO genre.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Remember when Wildstar was the savior of mmos? Good times

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fun fact: Everquest 1 is still running, still making money

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Fun fact: Everquest 1 is still running, still making money

20 years! It's not at all a fun game.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

bushisms.txt posted:

Remember when Wildstar was the savior of mmos? Good times

Remember when Tabula Rasa was supposed to be the savior?

Also remember NCSoft diverting resources from CoH to help put out Auto Assault that lasted maaaaaaybe a year?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
you can play city of heroes, for free, today! there's a post in mmo hmo about it. give it a shot if you've never tried it, it's a real unique game.

the people that are weird about coh are extremely weird but there's not that many of them

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

20 years! It's not at all a fun game.

Back in our day, games were work, fun was incidental

Hit the books nerd!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I wonder if this bandai leak is real too since they are publishing it in Europe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

I wonder if this bandai leak is real too since they are publishing it in Europe.

"Over 100 GOTY awards"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

Please be true. :pray:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Fat_Cow posted:

I won't forget that launch date

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's a Euro post watch out that could be November 9th

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I can think about is how Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is going to get crushed by releasing in the same month as Death Stranding, and Cyberpunk 2077.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

"Over 100 GOTY awards"

Maybe they're just saying there are over 100 goty awards that exist as a statement. Odd, but potentially true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It says "From the Makers of Witcher 3" so presumably they're talking about Witcher 3's GotY awards. Still funny though

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I dunno maybe I'm just hopeful after that "leak" of the deluxe edition package.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Honestly i'm not holding my breath, but November 9, 2019 for a release date would be incredible.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think it makes a lot of sense as a release date considering it's not going to be playable at E3.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pylons posted:

I don't think it makes a lot of sense as a release date considering it's not going to be playable at E3.

On the other hand Cyberpunk is already at pretty extreme hype levels, they don't really need to show off game play at this point it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

njsykora posted:

Splatoon is lowkey one of the best esports games around.

Did they fix the cheating?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

Even at Wildstars height, City of Heroes was overwhelmingly more popular and successful. Easily one of the biggest miscalculations in the MMO genre.

I never played any of them, but why all the love for City of Heroes and absolutely none for Champions? Wasn't the latter the former's spiritual successor? Did it just suck that much?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Champions was dope as hell, and had the better character creator, but also the benefit of coming out like five years after CoH. It's still around and actually receiving small content updates from time-to-time. They released a new dungeon not too long ago. Nowhere near the same level of support an actual modern MMO gets though.

If all these superhero MMOs came out just a few years later they would probably still be populated and making tons of money given how much the MCU has made superhero movies blow the gently caress up. I'm pretty sure Champions came out between Iron Man 1 and 2, but it was on life-support long before things really started picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CDPR would only release cyberpunk this year if GOG's declining revenue forced their hand to generate some revenue, and you wouldnt really want a rushed game anyway

the amount of crunch they'd force the employees to undergo too, since they're anti-union