Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
https://massivelyop.com/2019/06/08/city-of-heroes-pleiades/

EDIT: reading between the lines over on Reddit, I *think* that the culprit is Lady Rayne, the transperson who was harassed by Discord nazis a few weeks ago.

EDIT PART DEUX: It wasn't Rayne who pulled the plug but s/he was involved.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I honestly haven't even heard of those servers until the announcement

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Was this the Reddit Server?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Neurion posted:

I'm loving punching poo poo super hard and knocking foes out of the way as Marina Liteyears.

Shake, shake!

This is very good. You're a very good person. Is there anything that approximates a clancer face? Asking for a friend.

Edit: You inspired me to take a stab at the Beastector. Not nearly as good, but as close as I could get probably.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 9, 2019

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
This was probably too obvious and easy, but apparently not so much that nobody else on the server had thought of it.

Mind/Psi dom, naturally. (The only other reasonable choice would be demons/pain MM.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How you gonna make a shadow chancellor with no dark powers

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I don't get it, so I wouldn't worry about it being too obvious.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A Super Quick Guide To AE Farms

First off, let me make it clear that once you get established, you don't need to do AE farming. But we all gotta get our start somewhere, or maybe you just want to try it, or you're sick of not having a 50, whatever, your motives are your business.

So here's how this crap works.

What You Need
1: A Brute. The secondary must be Fiery Aura. The primary, you got a few choices.
2: A little seed money. Go punch some Hellions, that'll get you the money you need.
3: An appropriate AE mission.

That's it.

How To Build The Brute
Your primary should be one of the following: Claws because Spin is good, Radiation Melee because it has good AOE (or so I'm told; I gave up on it fast), Quills because of Spine Burst and a second damage aura, and I think Titan Weapons is good for this too (it has really good AOE but it takes a bit to get going). I think Super Strength used to be good but because of the way Rage works now, not so much? gently caress it, if you're not sure use Claws.

Were you looking for an exact build? gently caress that, this is the super quick guide to get you started, if you want to invest major effort in this poo poo, I'm sure you can find someone better qualified. Spin and Burn will tear poo poo up especially backed with Fiery Embrace, you can cap out fire resist with SOs (or 25 IOs) in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield plus just having Temperature Protection at all, and Consume and Healing Flames can help keep you going longer.

How To Do This poo poo
First you need a mission. To get started, I suggest Fire On The Table or Fire On The Table EX Turbo, the difference between them being that the EX Turbo is floored at level 50 while the regular version is 1-54. Make sure your inspiration tray has four Lucks, with the rest Enrages (you can bring an Insight if you want). Set your team size multiplier to x8, go into the mission, eat all your inspirations, and then go smash the box. Then smash the car. (It's one very small room, you won't have trouble finding this poo poo.) You will be up to your rear end in a top hat in fire-shooting clowns. Start killing clowns with everything you've got and shovel inspirations into your face as fast as they drop. The reason I suggested this mission is because it's an ambush farm, and because it's an ambush farm the enemies will come to you, so you don't have to spend any time running up to clowns, you can use both hands to eat inspirations and use powers. Once the clowns thin out enough that they're just ankle deep, finish killing them off, hit the glowy to end the mission, and leave. Yes, this mission is relatively short, but that's why you're doing this one for now. Do keep in mind that because it's an ambush farm, if you die, the enemies will jump up your rear end when you walk back in. Have your toggles on and your inspirations ready.

Repeat this until you're 22. Put the enhancements in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield. You are now capped to fire. You can keep using Fire On The Table, or go to the slightly bigger Fire On The Moon, which is a smallish map full of patrolling clowns. You want the clowns because they do 100% pure fire damage, against which you are resist capped. You still need the lucks, of course, but getting only three means "your life will tick down" instead of "death sentence." Or you can go with the classic Comic-Con one or the Real Big Dog one, which are more profitable per run, but the enemies aren't 100% pure fire so hey there you go. Now keep doing this until you have enough money or you want to shoot yourself.

And that's it. IOs help you do this poo poo harder better faster, but you can do it with just SOs or equivalent.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gynovore posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/06/08/city-of-heroes-pleiades/

EDIT: reading between the lines over on Reddit, I *think* that the culprit is Lady Rayne, the transperson who was harassed by Discord nazis a few weeks ago.

EDIT PART DEUX: It wasn't Rayne who pulled the plug but s/he was involved.

that's a loving weird way to talk about a human being, my guy. at what point is her gender relevant to the reddit server shutting down?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

that's a loving weird way to talk about a human being, my guy. at what point is her gender relevant to the reddit server shutting down?

She was harassed for being a transperson on a previous occasion. This *may* be relevant to the Majinora person pulling the plug. Once again, I'm only speculating based on what I've heard.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

don't identify her as s/he when she identifies as a woman, maybe

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

What's the deal with this scary wet dog in Atlas that I can't target? It just sits there barking.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Roach Warehouse posted:

What's the deal with this scary wet dog in Atlas that I can't target? It just sits there barking.

Where did you find this? I went looking earlier and couldn't see it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That is a weird, moist pup.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It was right near the Atlas Statue, on the corner between the trainer and the P2W vendor.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

MechaCrash posted:

A Super Quick Guide To AE Farms

First off, let me make it clear that once you get established, you don't need to do AE farming. But we all gotta get our start somewhere, or maybe you just want to try it, or you're sick of not having a 50, whatever, your motives are your business.

So here's how this crap works.

What You Need
1: A Brute. The secondary must be Fiery Aura. The primary, you got a few choices.
2: A little seed money. Go punch some Hellions, that'll get you the money you need.
3: An appropriate AE mission.

That's it.

How To Build The Brute
Your primary should be one of the following: Claws because Spin is good, Radiation Melee because it has good AOE (or so I'm told; I gave up on it fast), Quills because of Spine Burst and a second damage aura, and I think Titan Weapons is good for this too (it has really good AOE but it takes a bit to get going). I think Super Strength used to be good but because of the way Rage works now, not so much? gently caress it, if you're not sure use Claws.

Were you looking for an exact build? gently caress that, this is the super quick guide to get you started, if you want to invest major effort in this poo poo, I'm sure you can find someone better qualified. Spin and Burn will tear poo poo up especially backed with Fiery Embrace, you can cap out fire resist with SOs (or 25 IOs) in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield plus just having Temperature Protection at all, and Consume and Healing Flames can help keep you going longer.

How To Do This poo poo
First you need a mission. To get started, I suggest Fire On The Table or Fire On The Table EX Turbo, the difference between them being that the EX Turbo is floored at level 50 while the regular version is 1-54. Make sure your inspiration tray has four Lucks, with the rest Enrages (you can bring an Insight if you want). Set your team size multiplier to x8, go into the mission, eat all your inspirations, and then go smash the box. Then smash the car. (It's one very small room, you won't have trouble finding this poo poo.) You will be up to your rear end in a top hat in fire-shooting clowns. Start killing clowns with everything you've got and shovel inspirations into your face as fast as they drop. The reason I suggested this mission is because it's an ambush farm, and because it's an ambush farm the enemies will come to you, so you don't have to spend any time running up to clowns, you can use both hands to eat inspirations and use powers. Once the clowns thin out enough that they're just ankle deep, finish killing them off, hit the glowy to end the mission, and leave. Yes, this mission is relatively short, but that's why you're doing this one for now. Do keep in mind that because it's an ambush farm, if you die, the enemies will jump up your rear end when you walk back in. Have your toggles on and your inspirations ready.

Repeat this until you're 22. Put the enhancements in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield. You are now capped to fire. You can keep using Fire On The Table, or go to the slightly bigger Fire On The Moon, which is a smallish map full of patrolling clowns. You want the clowns because they do 100% pure fire damage, against which you are resist capped. You still need the lucks, of course, but getting only three means "your life will tick down" instead of "death sentence." Or you can go with the classic Comic-Con one or the Real Big Dog one, which are more profitable per run, but the enemies aren't 100% pure fire so hey there you go. Now keep doing this until you have enough money or you want to shoot yourself.

And that's it. IOs help you do this poo poo harder better faster, but you can do it with just SOs or equivalent.

Adding to this: Mission AE ID 125, 110, 51, or 495. Take your pick.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How long does it take to level one of these farming brutes in those AE missions? It might be worth it to give me the freedom to do whatever I want with my army of alts.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How long does it take to level one of these farming brutes in those AE missions? It might be worth it to give me the freedom to do whatever I want with my army of alts.

I imagine you can use that x2 xp thing from the p2w vendor to level until you're ready to farm inf?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

At level 45, my fire brute still gets about a level a mission when soloing at +4/x8. Missions are maybe 10-20 minutes? Of very brain dead hitting the aoe buttons to do the aoe stuff.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I imagine you can use that x2 xp thing from the p2w vendor to level until you're ready to farm inf?

Yes, although AE missions have a base reduction to XP on Homecoming. It's still crazy amounts of EXP though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

At least in low levels it is not good XP when compared to DFB. Even with the wait, I was leveling faster than solo grinding AE.

GRANTED at low levels you can't do 8/4s.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i didn't find rad/fire to be able to really get going until 32 when you get your pbaoe attack but it's fun

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, you want to do DFBs first to get your first few powers. Once you're in like IO range you can start handling the x8s and poo poo. If you want a build, here's one I threw together for my spine/fire brute. It's not the best, but it avoids those super expensive winter enhancements while still getting to 45% fire defense. edit: I will say that although I haven't gotten to level 50 no XP inf farm town, if all you want is money then nothing beats the effort to inf ratio of playing the market.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 9, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I know I keep asking base building questions but I can't find an easy searchable answer to this: is there a way to save a bases blueprint along the same line of saving costume or power appearance? I would like to be able to back them up for various reasons

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Roach Warehouse posted:

Isn't that the coyote run travel power?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

khy posted:

Isn't that the coyote run travel power?

That is one extremely hosed up coyote.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is very good. You're a very good person. Is there anything that approximates a clancer face? Asking for a friend.

Edit: You inspired me to take a stab at the Beastector. Not nearly as good, but as close as I could get probably.

Now I'm tempted to make Lunar.

Through fire, justice is served!

What server do you play on?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TGLT posted:

At level 45, my fire brute still gets about a level a mission when soloing at +4/x8. Missions are maybe 10-20 minutes? Of very brain dead hitting the aoe buttons to do the aoe stuff.

Yes, although AE missions have a base reduction to XP on Homecoming. It's still crazy amounts of EXP though.

Honestly I haven't gotten around to levelling a ton of alts, but I found that that buff was a great way to catapult myself to like early 20s just by running missions with friends.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is the alpha slot damage buff worthwhile for a beam rifle defender if I've already got all my buffs on perma, don't have consistent holds (but when a hold does land it lasts basically forever), have no problem hitting things, and already have as much endurance as I could ever hope to need? None of the other alpha slot buffs really seem to apply in my case.

According to the incarnate guide in the old thread, Incarnate Threads can be used to make the alpha slot stuff that you normally use Incarnate Shards for, but I can't find where in the menus to do that? They only seem to convert to mats for the 2nd tier of slots.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Roach Warehouse posted:

Its a P2W vender pet. the Shadow Hound/Wolf

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Thundarr posted:

Is the alpha slot damage buff worthwhile for a beam rifle defender if I've already got all my buffs on perma, don't have consistent holds (but when a hold does land it lasts basically forever), have no problem hitting things, and already have as much endurance as I could ever hope to need? None of the other alpha slot buffs really seem to apply in my case.

According to the incarnate guide in the old thread, Incarnate Threads can be used to make the alpha slot stuff that you normally use Incarnate Shards for, but I can't find where in the menus to do that? They only seem to convert to mats for the 2nd tier of slots.

What primary set are you running? Defenders suffer from the same logic as Brutes where Musculature isn't quite as potent (even worse than Brutes - 0.65 ranged versus a Brute's 0.75 melee modifiers.) Some of the radial paths on the alphas might have multiple benefits that could help out, but. If there's really really nothing else, Musculature is still an okay pick. It'll increase your Lore pets and Judgment damage, so there's always that!

And all the alpha slot abilities can be crafted using shards or threads, you just have to scroll down on the creation menu to see the threads option.

The only time I would use shards is for the alpha tier 4s, though. If you run a Weekly Strike Target you'll get a Notice of the Well. Put two of those together for a Favor of the Well, and you'll only need around 50 shards or so for the whole deal.

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 9, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm time manipulation primary. I've already got perma Power Boosted Farsight so hitting things and not being hit back are already covered about as well as they can be before I set bonuses. I guess healing and hold alpha sets are also possibilities but nothing really jumps out and says definitely take this.

I'll check later if I maybe just wasn't scrolling down far enough in the alpha mats menu.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Yeah, Time has a big variety on effects so one of the radial paths will probably wind up being better suited. You may want even more recharge to get permanent Chrono Boost and Hasten if you don't have that already, so Spiritual looks okay for that. Musculature and Intuition's radial paths both boost damage and a pretty big variety of Time's other debuff effects, so I think both of those are worth looking at as well.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

For a Brute, do you think I'd be better off softcapping melee + AOE or melee+ ranged? I can do 2 relatively cheap and maybe all 3 if I want to spend like 2 bil

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Hakarne posted:

For a Brute, do you think I'd be better off softcapping melee + AOE or melee+ ranged? I can do 2 relatively cheap and maybe all 3 if I want to spend like 2 bil

AOE tends to be the rarest type of attack, and almost always has the highest amount of recharge time after the alpha strike so I'd focus on Melee and Ranged if you can't get it all

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apparently I'm an idiot, can somebody break down for me how exactly I convert Incarnate Threads into alpha slot mats (i.e. Essence of the Incarnate)? I have gone through every tab and every heading and can only see how to convert shards into threads, but not the other way.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thundarr posted:

Apparently I'm an idiot, can somebody break down for me how exactly I convert Incarnate Threads into alpha slot mats (i.e. Essence of the Incarnate)? I have gone through every tab and every heading and can only see how to convert shards into threads, but not the other way.

Go to Convert > Incarnate Thread and you should see the ability to convert various rarities of ingredients for Threads. The recipe you want for a given Incarnate ability is usually the second recipe under Create.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Merilan posted:

Go to Convert > Incarnate Thread and you should see the ability to convert various rarities of ingredients for Threads. The recipe you want for a given Incarnate ability is usually the second recipe under Create.
The conversion system allowing for "All endgame gameplay is rewarded in the end" was a huge deal to me actually playing the poo poo out of Incarnate trials in binge bursts for live.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Merilan posted:

OH! I think I see now. I was confused since those were different mats than was listed on the Create tab, but I actually had to scroll down on the Create tab to see the option to use those mats to make the ability. It wasn't letting me scroll down on that tab at first since I had to double click the slot, otherwise as soon as I stopped mousing over it the ability to scroll was lost. Thanks, I think I can actually get a thing slotted now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

I have an ice/thorns defender and am enjoying it but dont want to block myself from high end content by picking a set the community views as weak and would prefer not to take to group content.