Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the things that felt most out of place/dated where the money being called neo-shekels for obvious reasons, and the pump screeds because ppl dont really post in that super earnest dweeby way anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

babypolis posted:

the things that felt most out of place/dated where the money being called neo-shekels for obvious reasons, and the pump screeds because ppl dont really post in that super earnest dweeby way anymore

I remember knowing that the first pump screed was a real post someone found, and look awhile to realize the rest were made up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

babypolis posted:

the things that felt most out of place/dated where the money being called neo-shekels for obvious reasons

Ok I'll bite, whats wrong with this, are there real neo-shekels now or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neo-nazis call all money 'shekels' as a reference to the idea that the jews control all money in the world

obviously the devs of barkley aren't neo nazis but it plays into an anti semitic trope in a way that isnt really funny, just stupid

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

FunMerrania posted:

i like chex quest i like rpg

chex
quest
is
not
an
rpg

leave

Endorph posted:

neo-nazis call all money 'shekels' as a reference to the idea that the jews control all money in the world

obviously the devs of barkley aren't neo nazis but it plays into an anti semitic trope in a way that isnt really funny, just stupid

it was funnier before the nazis actually came back

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

the nazis never left

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
if you think Endorph is bad here you should look at the RPG thread. woof

Regardless, her posts definitely illustrate the uphill battle Barkley 2 would have in the year 2019. Every god drat thing would be put under a microscope and there's no quicker way to kill a joke

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the basketball poo poo always made me laugh. balthios being lebron's great grandson, vince carter being resurrected as a cyborg after the bball purge, going to dikembe mutumbo's massive tomb and having to fight his ghost, visiting the spaulding factory.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

borgly

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

WarpDogs posted:

Regardless, her posts definitely illustrate the uphill battle Barkley 2 would have in the year 2019. Every god drat thing would be put under a microscope and there's no quicker way to kill a joke

Vox.com: 3 Winners and 2 Losers in Barkley 2 vs. the #MeToo Movement

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

cant really blame the devs for not predicting the rise of fascism in america in 2008

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the basketball poo poo always made me laugh. balthios being lebron's great grandson, vince carter being resurrected as a cyborg after the bball purge, going to dikembe mutumbo's massive tomb and having to fight his ghost, visiting the spaulding factory.

lebrons octoroon great grandson. also him being a gigantic dweeb who loves poetry and katanas and wears a long leather jacket

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

jrpgs are actually pretty good, especially if you don't only play Final Fantasy.

Even if you only want to play Final Fantasy, Bravely Second basically refined that formula to perfection: you can turn on and off random encounters and change the frequency, you can adjust difficulty on a whim, you can choose not to get money or job points to increase experience or any combination thereof, and there's a speed up button in fights as well as a "repeat last action" auto that you can use to basically automate grinding if you really want to grind

Barkley Defunct

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Why would I need other JRPGs when Barkley 2 is about to be released???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CYBEReris posted:

it's very good but fair warning some jokes have aged better than others

does bill cosby show up

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

does bill cosby show up

sort of

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Trabandiumium posted:

Barkley Defunct

:golfclap:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
wtf does octoroon even mean

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

wtf does octoroon even mean

It means you're like 1/8th black.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

I mean its not even that its problematic i just dont think calling money neoshekels is a kneeslapper

Its okay for barkley to just be a sometimes funny joke game made a decade ago, it doesnt have to be the height of comedy where every single line is gold

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The problem with getting overambitious making an indie video game is that you're already aiming pretty high in assuming that a functional game will be released, nevermind the quality or nature of it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

I mean its not even that its problematic i just dont think calling money neoshekels is a kneeslapper

Its okay for barkley to just be a sometimes funny joke game made a decade ago, it doesnt have to be the height of comedy where every single line is gold

it would have been funnier if they stuck to the joke of calling money different things like in the tutorial where its gald and zenny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah thatd be a funnier joke esp. since they could just get more and more obscure with the games they reference

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

i always find awkwardly shoehorned christian symbolism in my anime’s hilarious

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly as someone that near totally gave up on JRPGS because of the absolute garbage pile that is FFX this was one of the few games that reminded me that they could be fun, and was why I even bothered to get into the Wild Arms and Breath of Fire games.
And also why I can't begin to get why people like Fire Emblem.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

does bill cosby show up

Barkley has Bill Cosby, Michael Jackson, and Juwanna Mann in it and it still has less gross sexual assault and pedo stuff and transphobia than the average classic JRPG.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Honestly as someone that near totally gave up on JRPGS because of the absolute garbage pile that is FFX...

I haven’t played it, and it’s not thread relevant, but I only see people praise FFX, especially in our very own FF thread.

Also neo-shekels was borderline okay at the time and as a teen I think I didn’t find unfunny. But obviously after historical/societal developments it’s hard not to cringe a little for me. Like it would be in a bit of bad taste to me today, as a member of the tribe of B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You're all making a big deal off a parody of Shadowrun's Nuyen currency.

CYBEReris posted:

You stand on the city of disaster,
the B-Ball City, where the Fiberoptic Offsides
Unit of Laplace, what we call "FOUL", locates.
Nobody knows about what has been going on "FOUL".
You could hear nothing but deep breathing of "FOUL".
The only way to survive is...

Character: True Doom Murderhead

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

It's freeware, in the time it took you to make this post and read the responses you could have just downloaded and played the game and made up your own mind.

it's been years since i've played it, anyone know of any way to play it on a modern mac? the available file doesn't work for me

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
FFX is the best one because you eventually get to stop playing Final Fantasy and play a fantastic video game called Blitzball.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir AIDS posted:

Being weird and gay in addition to having an opinion on a game makes you a game critic

I'm gay

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sleeveless posted:

Barkley has Bill Cosby, Michael Jackson, and Juwanna Mann in it and it still has less gross sexual assault and pedo stuff and transphobia than the average classic JRPG.

wow

what's the definitive LP video to watch

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Truecon420 posted:

I haven’t played it, and it’s not thread relevant, but I only see people praise FFX, especially in our very own FF thread.

FFX was considered garbage at the time but JRPGs are in general extremely bad so it is seen one of the best modern examples of the genre now looking back since every FF since then has been worse.

I guess people are supposed to play JRPGs for the story but they have pretty much the worst stories and writing in games.
I missed out on the supposedly golden snes era but looking back on the ones I've played since the only two I can think of with a genuinely interesting story and characters is Nier 1 and Barkley

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I feel like Chrono Trigger is probably one of the best ones I played aside from Super Mario RPG, which is what Barkley reminds me the most of mechanically. They're two games that really vary their stories well, you can avoid battles if you're tired of them (usually) because the enemies are just on the map, and in both cases there's some changeup of the combat system that makes it more engaging (CT with the combo attacks, SMRPG with timed hits and button presses for attack effectiveness.)

FFX feels mechanically loving barren and unwilling to give you much of alternate paths unless you want to spend WEEKS in sphere grid hell, and would have benefitted alot from some combo mechanics or something like the materia system from FF7 (another game that gets real boring between story points but atleast has stuff to do)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 9, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WarpDogs posted:

If a jewish person saying "the post-apocalyptic currency is neo-shekels and that's a bit odd" counts as putting every god drat thing under a microscope to you, then you are an oversensitive coward.

If your poo poo can't stand up to analysis then avoid being popular at all costs. If you want to make stuff for a friendly audience that doesn't critically engage with your content, get the gently caress out of making video games, that ain't the audience you'll find. If your humour requires your audience to not think too hard, then just go alt-right already because they have no taste and will consume any media that panders to their core messaging.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when revisiting the game the neo-shekels, the ironically racist asian shopkeeper, and the sewer furries being, intentionally or not, very trans-coded and hopping the line between mocking and sympathetic depending on what's funny at the time all made me varying degrees of uncomfortable

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
There's some entries with "demo" in the description in GIT so I guess a demo is possible. Of course a demo probably means that it is then further insisted that the game isn't actually dead, which then means that the source isn't going to be released.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the furry sewer stuff is the low point i think but there’s a lot that should also be excised for the remaster (Barkley 1: Overtime) like the asperger’s status effect and the shop guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

People saying that JRPGs are only good for writing/story is funny to me, because Octopath Traveler came out very recently and that game is carried by its combat system. The story/writing is generally not great and the dungeon and over world design is tedious, but the actual combat is so good that I loved playing it anyway.

You guys need to play better JRPGs and stop assuming they’re all like FFX or whatever. Play an SMT game or something.