Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Each tick of difficulty removes a dumpster. No, wait, each tick of difficulty adds a dumpster that never has loot, so you waste time checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The full announcement.

Also the video commenting on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xe2IxHFYwo

Honestly, this is really good. I've been talking about Pathologic 2 to my friends and I am loving it, but not outright recommending it because I know how unwelcoming it is. Now I'll actively start to tell everyone to buy it.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

The full announcement.

Also the video commenting on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xe2IxHFYwo

Honestly, this is really good. I've been talking about Pathologic 2 to my friends and I am loving it, but not outright recommending it because I know how unwelcoming it is. Now I'll actively start to tell everyone to buy it.

Wow, that's honestly a fantastic implementation. They give you tons of options on what you can change, and not only can you lower these things, you can raise them too for a challenge run. Individual sliders for hunger, thirst, infection, decay of items, value... Really surprised at how in-depth this actually is. I thought it was just gonna be like a difficulty level 1-5 kind of thing.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I really like that each slider has a tooltip communicating the intended experience so the player can make an informed choice about how to set it for themselves. Good stuff. And avoiding a "story mode" preset is great, since that would imply that story is experienced by avoiding death (not quite true in Pathologic, unlike other games).

That video is great, too. Love those dorks. Some people have this idea of IPL as snobby assholes but they're really just nerds who are proud of what they've made.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Pathologic: A Scrumptious Pie, Filled with Razor Blades

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im usually on the accessibility side of the difficulty debate, but i feel like pathologic might be the one game that is harmed thematically if its easy. i wonder what their conversations were like internally when they started seeing those asinine pcgamer reviews and whatnot

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
That video was great and I love at the end how the guy was talking about ways you can use the slider to make the game more difficult.
I really do hope the game does well. I recommended it to everyone I thought might enjoy the game and managed to get one of them to buy it! :toot:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Beat the game

Interested to see what another playthrough would change, given that I let people like Anna Angel and Khan die pretty early on, but I'm too exhausted to do it any time soon

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Can I ask a localisation/idiolect question?

Is there a thing in Russian with doubling down on adjectives? The debut trailer had a line that jumped out at me "you cannot save innocent lives if you are dead" and in English I feel itd be more natural to just say "lives" or "innocents"

It jumped out because the Night Watch movie does the same thing, characters at several points talk about using civilians as "live bait" and "live" is kinda superfluous.

Am I just projecting here?

Also, what's the best translation if I want to read War and Peace?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is there a thing in Russian with doubling down on adjectives? The debut trailer had a line that jumped out at me "you cannot save innocent lives if you are dead" and in English I feel itd be more natural to just say "lives" or "innocents"

It jumped out because the Night Watch movie does the same thing, characters at several points talk about using civilians as "live bait" and "live" is kinda superfluous.

Might just be a standard translation thing where a word has a double meaning or contains aspects of two words, so rather than lose that nuance the translator uses two words instead of one.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Verviticus posted:

termitary is unsettling, to say the least

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Question about Grace on day 7/8

Is there some sort of condition for being able to talk to the pile of dead people? My first playthrough I did it fine, but this one, I talked to Grace, then went to talk to them, and there was no prompt anywhere on them. Then midnight came and she died. wtf

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Took a break from this to watch Chernobyl, now I think I need to go back to this to cheer up a bit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Is there some sort of condition for being able to talk to the pile of dead people? My first playthrough I did it fine, but this one, I talked to Grace, then went to talk to them, and there was no prompt anywhere on them. Then midnight came and she died. wtf

Can't remember where I saw it discussed, but I believe this is a a known issue with the latest patch

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

you can do that? i just told the rat prophet to take them away

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
10 hours in and I'm only halfway through day 2. But I have a gun and a bigger inventory now!

Mark would be proud of my savescumming. At least with more clocks available I need to do things perfectly in shorter periods. Anyway, how do I create tonics exactly? I have a bajilion bottles and herbs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

10 hours in and I'm only halfway through day 2. But I have a gun and a bigger inventory now!

Mark would be proud of my savescumming. At least with more clocks available I need to do things perfectly in shorter periods. Anyway, how do I create tonics exactly? I have a bajilion bottles and herbs.

Filled water bottles and herbs in the hide-out once you've unlocked it. It's not a very complicated science.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If nobody knows, please give me combat tips

Incidentally for anyone having trouble fighting odonghs there are two ways I've found that work

1:Get a knife. When they run towards you, do a strong stab as they run into you. Then just spam the light attack until they drop dead. They'll get stunlocked and won't be able to get a hit in.

2: Sneak up on them and do a strong punch from behind. Then spam light punches to stunlock them so they die before they can turn around

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Filled water bottles and herbs in the hide-out once you've unlocked it. It's not a very complicated science.

I'm missing the hideout, then. When does it unlock?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game gave me plague Irl but going back to it I forgot how expensive scalpels are, how broken mine are, and how non-existent straight razors are. The struggle continues :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm missing the hideout, then. When does it unlock?

Day 3 I think. Just keep going where the game directs you.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can get it almost first thing day 2. Go to the town hall and talk to saburov, then do the things

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cute. In the lucid dream where Lara's a 'teacher', look close at the class - there are two Changelings, though you can only speak to one.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I reached the ending. 'Won' is maybe a strong term, especially since I died quite a bit and one of the punishments took away my ability to hug. So at the end when Lara needed one, I couldn't lift my arms! drat you Immortell!! :argh: At least I didn't take the deal and end up with a truly bad ending.

What an experience though. It was down to the wire near the end, chewing on nuts just to keep my hunger from draining my health for a couple more minutes as I chugged water and ran across town trying to do everything I NEEDED to do. I'm gonna have to learn how to do video LPs so I can share it with everyone I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Out of curiosity how critical is it to make one of each type of cure out of infected organs? I just for the life of me get any because of poor life choices early on using them in defense. I'm also down to just boots but that's because I turned my cloak into pockets

I reached the ending. 'Won' is maybe a strong term, especially since I died quite a bit and one of the punishments took away my ability to hug. So at the end when Lara needed one, I couldn't lift my arms! drat you Immortell!! :argh: At least I didn't take the deal and end up with a truly bad ending.

lmao holy poo poo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 10, 2019

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity how critical is it to make one of each type of cure out of infected organs? I just for the life of me get any because of poor life choices early on using them in defense. I'm also down to just boots but that's because I turned my cloak into pockets

lmao holy poo poo
I actually kinda broke the game and had to reload a save by not making and testing one of each type of cure. Not doing it makes some really important events not fire, unfortunately.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I actually kinda broke the game and had to reload a save by not making and testing one of each type of cure. Not doing it makes some really important events not fire, unfortunately.

That's not great for me

How many are there? Blood, kidney, stomach, liver, brain right?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

lmao holy poo poo

You're trying to find a cure dude. It's the most important thing to be doing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game said not dying was :colbert:. Well it's day 5 again so I've got time.

What's the easiest way to get a new scalpel?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vor might have one, not sure if/when/how his inventory restocks or changes though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The game said not dying was :colbert:. Well it's day 5 again so I've got time.

What's the easiest way to get a new scalpel?

There's an event chain involving a bull today . Following that one through will give you a great scalpel and a huge supply of food.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arrhythmia posted:

There's an event chain involving a bull today . Following that one through will give you a great scalpel and a huge supply of food.

:toot:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Russian -> English translations are very much not 1-1 since the Russian translations use a lot of colloquialisms and the English localization just goes for the dry "this is what this character intended to say".

It's honestly the same issue that the Metro games had.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The trailers have a lot of rough dialogue in them, especially the further back they go—actually, even the demo released before launch has draft dialogue. I searched for a line similar to that so I could answer you more specifically, but nothing came up, so I think it's not in the game anymore? Depends on the Russian script, but I probably would have localized the entire phrasing/sentence of that line in some way that grounded it in the specific character's voice (ie: if the word "innocence" is critical to the character, something like "precious life," whatever would be appropriate)

But usually that kind of clunkiness is to retain nuance. When both aren't possible, nuance vs a natural sounding line is a case-by-case decision. IPL's general approach with this localization was to have us rewrite things in English if they didn't translate well, so that it'd have the same rich wordplay as the Russian script even if it wasn't an accurate translation. They wanted the English localization to be its own beast.

The VO is a funny example of this—if you have the Russian VO but the English subtitles and you can understand the Russian VO, nothing matches up at all. The localized plague, for example, speaks entirely in Anglish, ie English using Germanic-rooted coinages and kennings instead of Latin words. So all the plague's voiced monologues in English when you're infected sound wholly different to the Russian ones, even though the meaning is similar.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 10, 2019

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Wha? Native English speakers use the phrases 'innocent lives' and 'live bait' all the time.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
See the thing about good localization is that it's not about translating text. It's about translating tone, even more so than exact meaning. This especially important for languages with deep grammatical differences. If you want to see good examples of the differences, go watch an anime with a "good" dub with the subs on at the same time and witness the massive difference in how dynamic the characters are.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

There's an extremely good reason why terms like "innocent lives" and "live bait" aren't actually redundant phrasing.

Say you need to make sure you get bait that's wriggling and squirming on the hook in order to attract a fish. You won't know if you're going to the right store if they don't have a sign out front that says "live bait," as opposed to "bait that is synthetic or otherwise immobile." Similarly, it offers a tone change when used metaphorically. If someone is being used as "live bait," they're trapped, helpless, left in place to suffer and ultimately fulfill the goals of some other person using them as a stepping stone, thereby denying them some fundamental humanity and respect. You could just say "that bastard left me here as bait," sure, but there's an extra bit of cruelty and clarification in saying "live bait" instead.

Similarly, "innocents" and "lives" wouldn't have quiiite the same meaning as the two words together. "Innocents" loses the very important detail that some nebulous bad thing isn't going to happen to those innocents, they will absolutely die when whatever is being talked about happens. You can't really say "lives" with the same impact, either; terrible judicial systems notwithstanding, those could be the lives of a bunch of criminals in prison, and that's not exactly going to inspire the same sympathy as the lives of people who haven't really done anything to deserve whatever's happening.

Writing is complicated, is all I'm saying, and adjectives are incredibly important for emphasis and clarification when trying to drag out emotional responses from people.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Do I actually have to find the kid's caches on Day 2 or is it just a nice bonus? Related, does it mater what I put back? I've been warned not to be a cheapstake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fat Samurai posted:

Do I actually have to find the kid's caches on Day 2 or is it just a nice bonus? Related, does it mater what I put back? I've been warned not to be a cheapstake.

Put at least something back, even an empty bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

lmao holy poo poo

at a minimum you are required to make three of the five. you can just do blood/kidney/liver, and then the next quest opens up by dreaming