Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheLawinator posted:

So I've never beaten FFV before and am doing a little trial run before the fiesta starts. How lame is black mage, berserker, ranger, chemist? I'm just a bit before the earth crystal and so far it has been kinda dumb. Am I missing out on some serious combos or anything?

BM equipping an elemental rod boosts that elemental damage (ie: Frost rod lets you drop amped-up Blizzaras) and can break the rod by using it as an item while equipped (hit up on item menu mid-fight) to cast the corresponding -aga spell.

Zerky is just a beatstick, but giving him the Death Sickle as previously mentioned lets him carry a lot of weight for a good while. Near endgame, they get two weapons (gaia hammer and Rune Axe) that get Big Bonuses from having magic/MP, which you can grant via !Black

Ranger's !animal is kinda ok early on but your main thing will be to get !Rapidfire, but currently you have a golfbag of elemental bows, and you can get a Dark Bow in the floating fortress (strong bow that can Blind), and later a bow version of the Death Sickle. Both of these bows can be extremely useful later in the game. Also mid-late game you can get the Chicken Knife, which synergizes amazingly with !rapidfire

Chemist lets you crank everyone else to 11, and giving them !Black to boost their magic score will give you Big Beefy Drain !mix-Attacks once you have holy water.

It's an extremely comfortable win, a fairly easy Shinryu kill, and a quite doable-with-some-work Omega kill (so it's a potential Triple Crown run, ie a run where you beat the game and both optional superbosses)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
the only beef I have with Zerk is that they're a huge detriment to grinding reflect rings if you forget to equip them with a dagger. Reflecting death onto yourself does not feel good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Is that just going to quadzerk everyone who risks?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, it was a super slow run because that team can't deal quickly with random encounters and most bosses required messing around with !Catch. So don't expect the Fiesta to start early this year.

It was slower but elmagus was still sub10hr on it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DalaranJ posted:

Is that just going to quadzerk everyone who risks?

Nah. This year RK is doing something with fiddling with the amounts each berserker costs based on how much they get in donations.

Kyrosiris posted:

In fairness we vote-brigaded for that one year and that was the "DEATH BY MATH IS BORING, I'M GONNA SUICIDE IN THE WIND SHRINE" year from dragondarch. :v:

In DD's "defense", the guy had been up for 72 hours at that point and honestly had no right trying to marathon-speedrun anything, much less a JRPG he's not even particularly fond of.

(Of course, that was after a 24 hour stream of doing a bunch of calculations for levels for optimal gunch strats and poo poo like using Mystic Knight autoshell to survive/learn Aqua Breath at level 7, so your point still stands. I'm just saying that it was a trashfire for reasons OTHER than the normal dragondarch shenanigans.)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does the Steam version have the GBA jobs? If it does, I think I'll try the advanced setting.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Maigius posted:

Does the Steam version have the GBA jobs? If it does, I think I'll try the advanced setting.

It does, but there's no mods or romhacks or anything to unlock them early, so you'd have to play through 99% of the game to get your fourth job.

If that's still what you wanna do, go hog wild, just be aware that you can't get the GBA jobs until you've gotten through all four tablet dungeons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It does, but there's no mods or romhacks or anything to unlock them early, so you'd have to play through 99% of the game to get your fourth job.

If that's still what you wanna do, go hog wild, just be aware that you can't get the GBA jobs until you've gotten through all four tablet dungeons.

Ime this is nbd since the 3 optional tablet dungeons are super easy(one boss is killed instantly, one has no boss, and the other boss is non threatening if you don't use aoe). But I would not advise it if it's your first time

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Nasgate posted:

Ime this is nbd since the 3 optional tablet dungeons are super easy(one boss is killed instantly, one has no boss, and the other boss is non threatening if you don't use aoe). But I would not advise it if it's your first time

The hard and/or tedious part is ending up with no magic using jobs while still having to fight rugwizard in order to get your last job/open up the submarine

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

The hard and/or tedious part is ending up with no magic using jobs while still having to fight rugwizard in order to get your last job/open up the submarine

That's a fair consideration, I've never done so on gba/snes which sound absolutely dreadful.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chaos and Pure Chaos should both have Mime/Freelancer, and Pure Chaos should have dupes instead of Chaos. I will keep saying this until it happens or I die.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
hey gamers it's your girl alcharagia here to make ANOTHER POST ABOUT THE SEALED TEMPLE

<-- This is Enuo. He owns the Sealed Temple, theoretically.

^
|
|
This is also Enuo.

WOW! WHAT A DOUCHEBAG! I WANT TO MURDER HIM!

Whenuo you playuo Final Fantasy Fiveuo on the Gameboy Advance or iOS versions you have access to another dungeon! It's called the Sealed Temple and it is so full of wonder, and by wonder, I mean brutal, mind-numbing tedium! An encounter rate out the rear end! loving stupid puzzles! Bosses bosses bosses more bosses than your body has room for and most of them are palette swaps! Enuo is there and so is The Man*

* WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY MY FATHER TOOK ME INTO THE CITY TO SEE A MARCHING BAAAAND

AMAZING! I, AS A HARDCORE MEGAGAMER WHOSE NAME IN REAL LIFE IS CHIEF MASTERBRAWL, ABSOLUTELY MUST DESTROY THEM!

Slow down there, Chief Masterbrawl! You might be an extremely hardcore Fiesta Gamer, but first off, don't loving play the Sealed Temple! It's kinda mediocre when you're playing it with a completely maxed out team with the brain-breaking maneuver of using a fifth, or even sixth, job- it's basically the antithesis of the Fiesta concept because you kind o need very specific abilities to even get through it-

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORD ANTITHESIS MEANS! TELL ME WHAT I NEED!

But Gil Turtle is a regular, non-optional battle! You can't even equip most of the stuff you get from it! There's a room full of Omegas!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORD ANTITHESIS MEANS! TELL ME WHAT I NEED!

Well, okay!

1st: Let's check versions. Are you playing on the GBA or iOS versions?

If GBA: YOU GOTTA HAVE THIEF for that BLISTERINGLY FAST RUN SPEED.

This is the part in previous Sealed Temple posts where I referenced One Jump Ahead, but I'm not feeling up to it this time. Sometimes, even memory constructs of Disney adaptations of Arabian Nights protagonists get too tired to go on.

See, there's this waterfall that you have to run past.

BUT I HATE THIEF!

Well, then why are you playing the Sealed Temple?

If iOS: YOU DON'T GOTTA HAVE THIEF because you have DIAGONAL WALKING or some poo poo. Do you remember that episode of Drake and Josh where Drake and Josh became pool sharks by exploiting Josh's extreme nerd angle skills? because it's just calculations? That's a real episode of Drake and Josh.

BUT I HATE DRAKE AND JOSH!

Then why are you playing the Sealed Temple?

2nd: gently caress you! Use Beastmaster!

So there's this loving guy. This loving guy, right. He, for some... god drat reason, really wants you to catch a Behemoth.

< - - Not Enuo.

^
|
|
However, it is a Behemoth.

Catching monsters requires you become a fluffy, fluffy sheep. So, you know, you've- you've gotta do that. You need Beastmaster.

BUT I HATE BEASTMASTER!

Then why are you playing the Sealed Temple.

3rd: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARCHEODEMON

"What's an Archeodemon" you may ask. You may ask this question.

<-- Archeodemon.

^
|
|
Not Twintania. Or Enuo.

Archeodemon is a fuckface and I hate him. So this relentless fucknugget requires a source of non-elemental magic damage or White Mage, and here's why. This patience-mangling cloacamouth is undead. He has 62,000 HP. And, also, he absorbs all elements, and if you hit him physically, he casts Death on himself. He's undead, so that heals him to full. Reflect can bounce the counters onto you, so enjoy dying, or you can hit him with non-elemental magic.

CAN'T I JUST

This fist-gnarling cummerbund has 62,000 MP and Mega Flare. You will not outlast him. So, I recommend bringing Black Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Chemist, Bard, and/or Blue Mage if you're interested in playing level shenanigans with a level 17 enemy.

WHAT'S THE FOURTH THING?

There is no fourth thing. If you have those things you can theoretically beat Enuo*.

THEN... YOU MEAN?

Yes. If you have those things, you can also bring in a Berserker. Or two!

I SHOULD PLAY THE SEALED TEMPLE WITH TWO BERSERKERS?!

I didn't say 'should.' Don't- don't play the Sealed Temple. Please. It's bad.

I'M GONNA GO BEAT NEO SPINRYU!

No you aren't. Don't-

HE SAID, SON,

*Enuo.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I was just posting about this on the discord and I'm feeling weirdly attacked right now

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zerilan posted:

It was slower but elmagus was still sub10hr on it.

Well, yeah, but elmagus is not human.

:perfect:

The Sealed Temple is the one thing I've never done in a Fiesta setting. Maybe this year I'll finally get a setup which could theoretically do it.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

CAN'T I JUST

This fist-gnarling cummerbund has 62,000 MP and Mega Flare. You will not outlast him. So, I recommend bringing Black Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Chemist, Bard, and/or Blue Mage if you're interested in playing level shenanigans with a level 17 enemy.

I saw this and thought "wait isn't Mega Flare reflectable?" Turns out Archeodemon has GIGA Flare, which is non-reflectable.

How do level shenanigans work for 17? Dark Spark goes 17 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1, which doesn't let you get L3 Flares in. I guess you could always use Aqua Breath/Vampire/Mind Blast/????/1000 Needles if you hate yourself

The other classes are Flare, Bahamut, Meteor, Shadow Flare and Requiem respectively, right?

Not that it matters because no one should be doing Sealed Temple :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Procrastine posted:

I saw this and thought "wait isn't Mega Flare reflectable?" Turns out Archeodemon has GIGA Flare, which is non-reflectable.

How do level shenanigans work for 17? Dark Spark goes 17 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1, which doesn't let you get L3 Flares in. I guess you could always use Aqua Breath/Vampire/Mind Blast/????/1000 Needles if you hate yourself

The other classes are Flare, Bahamut, Meteor, Shadow Flare and Requiem respectively, right?

Not that it matters because no one should be doing Sealed Temple :v:

Level shenanigans work via chemist leveling him up to something that is affected by lvl 3 flare or lvl 5 death with hero drinks

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

Level shenanigans work via chemist leveling him up to something that is affected by lvl 3 flare or lvl 5 death with hero drinks

I guess that saves on Dark Matters compared to Shadowflare if you get Chemist and Blue Mage. I believe L5 death doesn't work on undead though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, one Samson's Might gets him to 27 which is L3 Flare-able.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I did Sealed Temple for my pseudo run. Definitely gotta agree with the whole ton of that post. Encounter rate is way too high with enemies that can easily wipe you on the first round and the whole place is an obnoxious maze. Thief and Beastmaster are required, but running away is impossible unless you've got a Ninja with autohaste which I did, unfortunately, or else I might have just given up then and there.

I actually did manage to power through most of the bosses. For the most part I thought they were pretty fun, actually, but yeah, Archdaemon would have been totally impossible if I didn't happen to have the Black Mage Time Mage Summoner combo. Enuo was the point I just gave up though, because its version of Almagahest was a total party wipe that could only be countered by grinding for more HP. Even with what may well be the best possible team for that dungeon the whole thing was such a slog that I just gave up on it, and I'm usually too stubborn and stupid to give up on anything.

(which incidentally is why I still can't decide if I want to do Berserker Risk or not)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The high encounter rate seems like a non-issue since you need a Thief to complete the Sealed Temple anyway, which means you'll have Back Attack protection and the !Flee skill. Some of the bosses very much operate under the assumption that you've mastered the strongest abilities in the game by that point though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
After the main fiesta run this year, I think I'm going to try something a bit different. I call it Multiclass. The rules are
---Each character (Bartz, Lenna, Faris, Garuf/Krile) gets two classes. They may only ever use and equip abilities from those two classes
---Freelancer, Mime, and the GBA classes are out, but otherwise can be drawn from any crystal. All eight jobs must be unique.
---Ex: Bartz gets Time Mage+Ninja; Lenna gets White Mage+Geomancer; Faris gets Knight+Monk; Garuf/Krile get Berserker+Blue Mage

The idea is that you end up with more party variety and interesting tradeoffs, and you can't do silly things like teach the entire party !Sing and crap.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

The high encounter rate seems like a non-issue since you need a Thief to complete the Sealed Temple anyway, which means you'll have Back Attack protection and the !Flee skill. Some of the bosses very much operate under the assumption that you've mastered the strongest abilities in the game by that point though.

I figured that as long as I didn't gain any exp or ability points while I was making mandatory use of Thief and Beastmaster I was still in the spirit of the run. But yech, it seems like they'd both be dead weight if you actually roll them naturally.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
My body and mind are ready for fiesta. I’ve been doing this for a few years now but I’ve never managed more than one run. I’m starting out with a normal zerk risk run and then I’m going to try some of the other rule sets. Also, I want this year to be the year I go for Omega and Shinryu, but they seem kind of scary. :ohdear:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Omega is pretty scary, but Shinryu can be completely cheesed if you have someone berserk him.

You can technically cheese Omega, too, but it required more specific classes.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

That's quite a sealed temple post there, maybe i'll go check it out!!!!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Omega is pretty scary, but Shinryu can be completely cheesed if you have someone berserk him.

You can technically cheese Omega, too, but it required more specific classes.

You can cheese Shinryu with just a staff/rod user or a bard and zombies

Even the cheese strats for Omega can be pretty risky. A miss timed stop, and he can still murder you with chemist buffs up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are there any strategies for Omega that don't require at least some luck? I can't think of any.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stunlocking him with Bards or Beastmasters takes out a ton of the necessary luck. As does Quickleaking.

Chemist takes luck because it takes awhile to set their stuff up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Chemist takes luck because it takes awhile to set their stuff up.

Only if you're trying to keep all four people alive. It takes two rounds to get the essential buffs up on a single dedicated Omega killer otherwise.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1137864896194854912?s=19

(We're actually at 5k now)

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
What do you do with Shinryu if you can't berserk him? Are there any party compositions that just can't beat him?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Princey posted:

What do you do with Shinryu if you can't berserk him? Are there any party compositions that just can't beat him?

There are strategies that don't involve berserk, but I'm not sure how many of them are feasible under the fiesta rules. There definitely are some parties that can't beat any of the superbosses at a reasonable level, and probably some that can't ever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Could a Berserker with Rune Axe and at least Geo magic break through Omega? Geo, White and Mime wouldn't be able to do anything to Omega I don't think, and every other job would bring in something to damage it.

By bring something, I mean crits. Assuming break through which they should since OFS beat Omega with just fists.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Could a Berserker with Rune Axe and at least Geo magic break through Omega? Geo, White and Mime wouldn't be able to do anything to Omega I don't think, and every other job would bring in something to damage it.

By bring something, I mean crits. Assuming break through which they should since OFS beat Omega with just fists.

Normal axes can get through omega anyway, because of the defense reducing effect. Rune Axe is still the best axe for Omega axing anyway, and you still need to play the "does it hit" slots. If you have white with this strat, you can sandbag enough to kill omega eventually.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

White Mage can very slowly damage it with high rolls on the Morning Star but that's highly not recommended without some way to keep it stop-locked.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ssmagus posted:

Normal axes can get through omega anyway, because of the defense reducing effect. Rune Axe is still the best axe for Omega axing anyway, and you still need to play the "does it hit" slots. If you have white with this strat, you can sandbag enough to kill omega eventually.

Hitting Omega with an axe sounds horrible.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Just anecdotally, last fiesta I had a Berserker with the rune axe on my omega attempts. I tried for about 2 hours before I gave up, and not once did my berserker hit an attack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Hitting Omega with an axe sounds horrible.

Rune Axe is 90% accuracy, so it's only marginally worse than using a non-Dagger weapon. (Effective 4.5% hit rate vs 5% with a non-Dagger or 53% for a Dagger)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
On Shinryu, levels help a lot more than they generally do on Omega. I don't know if, say, 4 Geos can defeat Shinryu at level 99 but I'm not saying it's impossible like Omega would be.

If you were doing a standard run, you'd have to pull Berserker AND Geo, and even then I think the worst Wind and Earth jobs you could get (Samurai and either Monk or Thief) could pull you through given sufficient levels.

derra fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A lot of jobs can solo Shinryu with enough levels, including Berserker.