Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5/5

It didn't create the genre, but it refined into what it is today, and it's still one of the standouts in its genre that even its own sequels struggle to live up to. There's small quibbles about character balance or individual revisions of it, but taken as a whole it's undeniably one of the best games ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is undeniably one of the most important games ever released for its genre, other genres, the industry, and pop culture as whole. If this thread was just "how valuable and important is this game" itd be approaching a 6. The problem is this thread is technially how good is the game and in 2019 much less 1994 this game was not very fun to play. Its not SF2's fault, it was just so influential and profitable a million imitators sprang to life and advanced the genre even further and even with 15 revisions you cant change the core gameplay, nor from the perspective of how many people still buy ports of this, should you.

Edit: Best character is Fei Long, the fighting game term Rekka is named after his signature technique and character gimmick. Also hes Bruce Lee

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 8, 2019

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Maybe for people who are more into fighting games than me it won't have aged well but if I had friends, and they came to my house, I'd have just as much fun playing this as any of the Street Fighters since. There's a reason almost every fighting game to this day builds on the core gameplay that started here.

Best character is Blanka because when I was 2 years old the only special moves I could do were the button-mash ones and I thought Electric Gorilla Boy was cooler than Chun and Honda. Plus I only had the Megadrive Championship Edition so there was no Cammy and her cool hat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SF2 still has active competition to this day, it's worth noting.

also Dee Jay is the best character because his pants say Maximum on them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

4/5 , still one of the best fighter games ever in its style.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 8, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh by the way everyone can you please make sure you're bolding your number rating? It makes it easier to tally scores up at the end of the week.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

4/5, still fun to play today, would bump up the score if it had Cody in it but alas

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

5/5

Street Fighter II invented fighting games as we know them, and it drat well perfected them too. 30 years later new versions are still coming out, no other video game in history has had that kind of staying power.

The characters are so broad in play style but still balanced, there are games released this year that can't say that.

Whatever your favourite game in the genre is, if you had strangers over and somebody suggested playing a fighting game, Street Fighter II is the one you'd put on.

Chun Li is the best character because she has the most complicated move set but a button masher can play as her and still have fun

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 8, 2019

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
5/5

Super Turbo owns.

Vega (balrog in jp versions of the game) is the best b/c he plays like a giant rear end in a top hat.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The only fighting game I still play with friends once in a while besides Mortal Kombat and Capcom vs SNK 2. Pre-Turbo, one of the slowest fighting games of all time probably but I like the deliberate pace and simplicity. The best character in all of fighting games is Zangief

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
5/5 with a loving bullet. I've got a copy on my PS2 and I know I could whack it on and easily get an hour of fun out of it. It really set the foundation for how fighting games would work for the next thirty years and while the genre has been developed in many ways since the simplicity of SF2 still really shines. The core mechanics are matched by an incredibly slick presentation. Sure, the characters are drawn with broad strokes but this means they really stand out. And the music, oh my god the music. So many bangers on that soundtrack. Another thing that I reckon people don't think about but I think was a big factor in the game's appeal is the diversity. Across its roster you've got representation for karate, boxing, Japanese sumo, the US military, the Amazonian rainforest, Buddhism, communist pro-wrestling, Spanish matadors, Native Americans and Caribbean reggae among others. The international flavour just captures the imagination in a way so many fighting games continue to fail at to this day.

Also the best character is Cammy cause she has the best stage theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMNPDiytN_I

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

5/5

There's a reason ST still has a good chance to be one of the games run at any given major fighting game tournament, and I'm not talking about the joke/mystery game slot. The core of ST is still very solid. It doesn't have some sub-systems that came along later (ex. burst, guard break, combo extenders, etc...), but it's not necessary for a great fighter even now to have every single sub-system, and the ones missing from ST I don't think would add that much to the game as-is. The only place I could see taking a point off for is graphics, as even the HD version will pale compared to the latest offering by Arc Systemworks... but I don't think the gap's quite big enough for me to do so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

5/5

Street Fighter II more or less established the fundamentals for 2D fighters as we know them today. Diverse cast of characters with unique abilities, creation of the fireball game, special move cancels, combos. Perhaps you could point to some earlier fighting game as the true progenitor for any one of these concepts, but none of them brought it all together like SFIIT. It's incredible how much they got right 28 years ago despite design principles like frame data and the neutral game not even being calcified yet, and it's still being played competitively in tournaments.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

It wasn't the first 1 on 1 fighter by a long shot. It did more or less solidify and form the subgenre though. Tight control, fun characters, special moves, and lots of characters. My personal favorite version is Super. Its smooth without being on meth and has a nice variety of playable characters. Chun Li is the best. Fast and unlike many later fighting game ladies seems way less made to be for perverts. Fun fact: in the PS2 era of retro rereleases Chun Li was one of the youngest cast members of SF2. Her canon birthday was in 1968. She is now in her 50s. OH GOD WE ARE GETTING OLD.

It's also still better than later fighters that seem designed for tournament tryhards or people who probably belong on a Sex Offender Registry.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

4/5 Incredible game, started the entire fighting game scene. Lots of character choices and emphasis on different playstyles as well as a reliance on spacing makes this game incredible even today. I'm knocking off a point for not having Sakura in yet though, because she's my favorite.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
1/5

Fighting games suck to me and I can't imagine giving one higher than 3/5 but SF does absolutely nothing for me even within that. Characters are immobile. Footsies are the entire game. The majority of moves are just punches or kicks without any interesting visuals. Motions are present, adding an extra layer of input complexity onto the game for basically no gain, and this early in the genre they hadn't yet realized that complex motions are even worse than simple ones so you get 720s and tiger knees and pretzels. The characters are all muscly martial artists but from different countries so the designs are kinda samey (this is inevitable in a fighting game with a realistic-ish setting but I still don't like it). I don't believe any of the iterations have any single player more interesting than arcade mode.

If you've been playing it for 20 years or really like footsies I can see why you'd like it but I don't.

Best character is Zangief cause he's funny in SF4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I thought we were friends :(

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
4/5

SF2 is a phenomenal game, both at launch and today. The gameplay (of ST, to be precise) is fantastic, with the standard mixup/spacing game only being better in a select few titles, like KoF '98. The character design is the basis for virtually all fighting games since, with classic archetypes getting their start here. I personally prefer other fighting games, particularly those by SNK, but SF2 is still a great game. It has none of the awful mid-air battles common among modern fighting games, and for that alone I will always cherish it.

I went with a 4/5 because of the soundtrack. While it is very good and certainly memorable, and I do love Yoko Shimomura's work overall, a few of the iconic tunes (including what has become the most recognizable one) are flat-out ripped off from other artists. It is hard to give a game a perfect score when one of its best features is tainted by plagiarism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tELmpYcrxp4
Very clearly Guile's theme, predates SF2 by seven years. This is the most egregious example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4XsDQYDi4
Ken's theme, predates SF2 by 6 years.

The best character is Ryu, as there are nearly an infinite legion of kung-fu men in fighting games owing their existence to him. Here is a video of one of Daigo (he of the parry)'s finest moments as Ryu, a testament to the depth of SF2's gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWd-yU2FJEo

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 8, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I thought we were friends :(

when you think about it, honoring your thread with the hottest takes possible is the highest form of friendship

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

4\5

Pretty much everything said about it is true, but I was an MK kid.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The only Street Fighter that's actually fun to play. 5

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

5/5

Unless you hate fighting games this is indisputable. It codified the genre in a way that's still going twenty years later and it's still fun to play and sees tons of competitive play. Nothing from that era comes even remotely close to what Street Fighter 2 was accomplishing. Yes, Mortal Kombat was famous too, but the actual gameplay was pathetic compared to Street Fighter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
3/5, important and a big step up for competitive games and arcade games in general but much like every Capcom fighter that isn't Darkstalkers it feels awful to play.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

2/5

It's OK I guess, but it's not as cool as Mortal Kombat or as fun as One Must Fall 2097. Playing Street Fighter always just made me wish I had Mortal Kombat instead, and once I got OMF I don't think I ever played it again.

Best character is Vega because he has knives on his hands and a mask.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

5/5

This was the game that made me a fan of video games. This was the game that my older brother and I bonded over for years. This was the game that was taken to every elementary school sleepover, and then again for every junior high one even after newer and “better” games came out. This was the game that my college roommates and I used to settle arguments, since if you won at Street Fighter II obviously you were correct from the beginning. This was, simply put, THE game.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

2/5

It's OK I guess, but it's not as cool as Mortal Kombat or as fun as One Must Fall 2097. Playing Street Fighter always just made me wish I had Mortal Kombat instead, and once I got OMF I don't think I ever played it again.

Best character is Vega because he has knives on his hands and a mask.

One must fall was pretty weak but it did lead to one of my grade school friends getting bitched out by his stepdad for playing video games that promote violence so it has that going for it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not gonna lie, Im kind of laughing at evey one of these "we played this in college" stories because in college my entire social circle loved fighting games so naturally someone was like lets do SF2 and it lasted like maybe 10 minutes before everyone got bored and was never played again.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I forgot to say that the best character is obviously Guile because not even the Satsui no Hado can overcome the ancient, mystical martial art of holding down-back

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Im not gonna lie, Im kind of laughing at evey one of these "we played this in college" stories because in college my entire social circle loved fighting games so naturally someone was like lets do SF2 and it lasted like maybe 10 minutes before everyone got bored and was never played again.

This was pretty much my experience in high school and college except I was the one person who didn’t like fighting games.

2/5

I understand it did good things for the genre, but I have never seen anyone enjoying it in the present except for the niche-as-hell demographic of serious competitive fighting game enthusiasts. That’s not true for a lot of other old games. I can’t judge it for myself too well since I’m not a fan of the genre, but I have had fun with fighting games even while losing miserably and this wasn’t ever one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

2/5

I've only ever played SF2 as a <10 year old kid in an arcade with no experience with Street Fighter in particular or fighting games in general and from that perspective it sucks real bad. You see a bunch of guys doing sick uppercuts and shooting fireballs and poo poo and think "yeah, this might be worth 1 of my 6 quarters". So you put a quarter in and then on the character select screen you pick Blanca because he's the only character who isn't just some guy so he's probably the one that's best at shooting fireballs. Then when you're playing you just sort of slowly shuffle around doing lame, ineffectual looking punches and kicks instead of all the cool stuff you saw on the attract mode and then you die and it's over.

I gave it a point for its historical importance and because people still play it today for reasons other than simple nostalgia, but I sure never had any fun with it. It also established the lovely, almost universally followed precedent of requiring you to do annoying inputs to execute any of your characters' special moves. I'm probably never going to play any fighting game of that type at a level beyond "just barely good enough to see the entire story in Injustice" because I didn't build up the muscle memory as a kid and now that I'm an adult with limited gaming time doing so isn't really a worthwhile use of it.

Best character is Blanca because he can probably shoot fireballs.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 12, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
5/5

I played SF2 and its many mutations throughout the 90s and early 2000s in dorm rooms, barracks, bars, pool halls, arcades and tournaments so I'll admit I'm 100% biased here, but gently caress yeah street fighter. This game created the competitive fighting game scene and established what would become conventions for the genre.

Also Guile is still the best character. *sonic booms u*

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Barudak posted:

Pretty much. I understand the importance and that the game still has a tourney life, but it's been expanded on and bettered by it's contemporaries and sequels in different ways that make playing it a drag. 3rd strike is the pinnacle of the series and still feels modern to play.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ruled then, rules now. Forget the FGC, my 10 year old nephew got a SNES Mini for his birthday and this was the first game we played (and he enjoyed it!)

It still holds up today as it hadn't gone too far down the fighting game bullshit ladder yet. Some of the final bosses in later SF games were absolute horseshit but while M. Bison was hard, he was no "resurrect after getting beat" hard. Not to mention the art still looks good and you can beat up a car! A car!

Ken will have to take best character because as Grapplejack said, true best character Sakura didn't exist yet.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
2/5

it defined the genre

as total poo poo

best character is Sagat because obviously.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

5/5

While it lacks the bells and whistles and depth of its successors, SF2 endures thanks to its strong fundamentals. A big cast of colorful characters from all over the world with highly distinct fighting styles. Decent balance in spite of big differences in speed, moveset, etc. Great soundtrack and spritework. Simple enough for button mashers to pick up and play, but a high enough skill ceiling to keep the pros interested.

Which brings me to IMO the most impressive thing about SF2: how well it manages to be excellent as both a casual party game, and as a pro-level tourney game. There's a reason so many tourneys still have Super Turbo comps, even though the game came out over 25 years ago.

Best character: :bisonyes:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I like Streetfighter II and think it is a good game. I played very briefly during the release time and played much more later on when it was re-released for the switch. It is fun and controls well but it does not quite grab me as much as some of the later entries do. I am not sure what would cause that as the roster is nicely defined and diverse, the stages are fun, the music is wonderful and the actual gameplay is still good.

I am not massively into fighting games as is, so perhaps my score is a little low as I know how it helped refine the genre into the current status but if I was given a choice between this or SFIV/SFV I would probably pick the later two as I have had more gaming fun with them.

Favourite character: Cammy! I love her wierd red gloves and cool kick moves! (It was tought to pick between her and Chun-li)

But my favourite stage theme is easily Chun-lis. Great music and great background. Ken is a close second :D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Favourite character: Cammy! I love her wierd red gloves and cool kick moves! (It was tought to pick between her and Chun-li)

This isn't helping fight the conspiracy theories that we're the same person :ninja:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

This isn't helping fight the conspiracy theories that we're the same person :ninja:

Haha, I was so close to picking Chun-Li as she ALSO has pretty iconic kicks, but I think it was Cammy being a Brit that pushed it over the edge for me :D

Besides, Chun-Li's music is superb and if you had gone with the original SFII and not the extended version, then Chun-Li all the way!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My first ever SF character was Blanka because someone at the arcade told me to crouch and press jab jab jab for his electric field, which remained the only special move I knew for the next two and a half years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

4 I really like Street Fighter 2, but it isn't the game I go to if I want my 2d Fighter jollies anymore. Each variant of the game has its own little idiosyncrasies, and none of them are perfect. That said, I will say it ages way better than its compatriots, MK is crap and while I like SNK fighters, I like the later ones more.

Chun Li is my go to character, because nothing in fighting games has ever been more satisfying to perform than her jumping Down+Med Kick Knee stomp