Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sup, we're here for the rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PMush Perfect posted:

Sup, we're here for the rock?

Beyond the Nightmare Gate posted:

You explain your quest in detail; you tell of the Academicians who hold Tanith in the Crystal Tower, and of your need to give them the Threnogem. Patiently the Guardian listens to your story without interruption, nodding occasionally. When you have finished, the Guardian tells you the true nature of the Threnogem and of the strange statue in which it rests.

This was once the realm of the Demon, Steth-Amon, Master of Sound. We, the Elessin, were created his slave singers, a choir of the damned, and long did we labour in his service. His was the music of dissonance, designed to drive his victims insane or to lure them with its enticements. Steth-Amon would sow seeds of discord and clamour in the realms of mortals so that they would join him and then be doomed to lives of misery under his dominion. But we, the Elessin, conceived of a plan to overthrow him, for we desire the beauty of music: harmony and the melody of accord. We created the Threnogem, a tool of silence, for without silence there can be no true music. While he slumbered we dropped the Threnogem into his open mouth and silenced him. Robbed of his power, the power of his mighty voice, he froze as you see him now.

He gestures towards the statue beneath the swirling pillar of light. We built this place to contain him and called it the Palace of the Screaming God. Each day we sing our song, giving force to the Threnogem so that the Screaming God should remain forever silent. All our power is dedicated to this single act, for his was a great evil. If the Threnogem is removed, the Screaming God will be released. Those who have sent you upon this quest know not of this, or else they do not care. Perhaps they desire to free the Screaming God, or wish your death. However, there is a way for you to fulfil your bargain and do us a great service, too.

Yet another bargain! ‘What is it you wish me to do?’ you ask.

Take the statue with you, the Guardian replies. Take it in your flying machine and remove it from this realm. Give the statue, with the Threnogem inside it, to the Academicians. Let them guard it as we have done. It would be just.
Do we agree or do we want to fight them and try to steal the gem?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
yep, let's make it some rear end in a top hat wizard's problem now

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Well, bringing back the statue, complete with gem, woudld mean respecting the contract to a t: irony at its finest. Nice, let's do it!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Can our airplane carry the statue? Eh, details. Agree.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That sound hilarious. Let's be the monkey's paw!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jackard posted:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They are absolutely 100% going to remove the Threnogem from the statue the first chance they get. Sure, why not?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This is great. Give them exactly what they asked for.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

wiegieman posted:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
these assholes tried to kill us with those pitfalls, magic keys, falling swords, and a catoblepas, and for all we know they sent that hypnotist after us too. And when we survived all that they had the temerity to seize our ladyfriend as collateral.

gently caress those assholes. Give them their poison prize. Spring a trap on them for a change.

agree to take the statue

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is the best loving day in Grey Star's life. YES

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

those douches can eat poo poo, lets agree and make everyone happyish

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

wiegieman posted:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They are absolutely 100% going to remove the Threnogem from the statue the first chance they get. Sure, why not?

Yup, we just need to leave before they do that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh hell yes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jackard posted:

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
YES! I can only hope the rest of the series lets us be a spiteful force of destruction from now on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

To the delighted cheers of the Elessin, the statue of the Screaming God is carried from the palace and away from the Singing City. It is taken to the grove of trees where your flying machine is hidden and loaded aboard. Many thanks, Grey Star, says the Guardian. Today you give us our freedom. Is there some way we can repay you?

‘I seek the Moonstone of the Shianti,’ you say. ‘Long ago they hid it somewhere on the plane of the Daziarn, our name for the realms gathered here. Can you tell me exactly where it is hidden?’

The Elessi shakes his head. I have never heard of such a thing but there is one who surely might. In the Realm of Paradox lives one called Oz-na-Mun, he of the mighty hand. He is wise and knowledgeable; perhaps he will know.

‘How may I find this Realm of Paradox? My only guide is this.’ You show the Guardian the Gyronome. ‘And it can only guide me between here and the Neverness.’

Give this thing to me, he says. He closes his eyes, places the Gyronome close to his mouth, and begins to sing into it very softly. Now the Gyronome will guide you, he says, though you may never return to the Singing City. I have changed the power of the device so that it will seek the Realm of Paradox instead of our own; it will still return you to the place you call the Neverness while it is silent.

‘I thank you,’ you say, boarding the Ethetron. ‘Farewell.’ To a chorus of joyful singing and the blessing of the Elessin you carefully rise into the air with your perilous cargo. Once more you feel a strange tingling sensation as you leave the realm of the Elessin forever.

You are back in the Neverness; the bleak, sunless sky and the unending plain of grey cloud stretches away from you. Soon you sight the familiar shape of the Crystal Tower and land the craft close to its door. ‘Spittlethrift!’ you shout. ‘I have returned. Come, take your prize.’ A window in the tower opens and the face of Spittlethrift appears. He is ashen-grey and trembling with fear.

‘Go away!’ he calls. ‘We’ve nothing else to give you. The girl … she was not ours to give in the first place.’

‘It is I, Grey Star,’ you shout. ‘Open up. I have brought the Threnogem as I promised.’

The little man stares down at you, shocked and afraid. ‘But … but,’ he stammers, ‘you have only just left, you … you were changed, so full of darkness and … this is not possible!’

‘Let me in,’ you demand, ‘or it will be the worse for you.’

The window slams shut and after a short wait, Spittlethrift throws open the door. ‘Is it really you?’ he asks, incredulous.

‘What has happened?’ you demand, growing angry. ‘Where is Tanith? Return her to me!’

‘She is gone. You … or, should I say, someone like you was here but a short while ago. We could not understand the change in you, you had so much more power. We were afraid. We gave up the girl, even though the Threnogem had not been brought back to us.’

After more questioning, you are able to piece together what happened while you were in the Realm of the Singing City. It seems that someone who looked exactly like you, clad in a black robe, came to the Crystal Tower. He had an evil countenance and was able to master the Academicians easily. They gave up Tanith to the Black Wizard and he left. He had been asking questions about the Realm of Paradox and one named Oz-na-Mun, the man with the mighty hand. It appears that he was on his way there. The Academicians say that he had no craft but was able to travel the realms at will.

Hurriedly, you drag the statue of the Screaming God from the Ethetron and re-board the craft. You pull her into the air, gaining height with all the speed you can muster. A tingling sensation tells you that you are about to leave the Neverness; you glance back at the Crystal Tower. A chilling scream reaches your ears. It grows louder and louder and the tower begins to crumble. Suddenly you realize that you did not warn the Academicians of the peril of the Screaming God. One of them must have taken the Threnogem from the statue and freed the demon. There is now nothing you can do to help as you pass into the Realm of Paradox.

A sky-blue sea with foam-crested waves rolls where the sky should be. Green hills and fields ripple and undulate like an ebb tide and the Ethetron begins to rock violently. Mountains stand on their peaks and towns and cities float haphazardly in the air. Night becomes day and day becomes night in the blink of an eye. A huge fist rears up, poised to strike, and then passes through you like a phantom. All around you is the sound of crazed and forlorn laughter.

You are already well versed in the ways of illusions and enchantments and, although half the strange, chaotic sights are enough to drive a man insane, using your Magical Power of Enchantment you are able to challenge the illusion and dispel it.

‘What?’ booms a voice from above. ‘Who dares to challenge the design of the Chaos-master? Speak, petty mortal!’

‘They were but illusions, Chaos-master. I saw the truth beyond them,’ you reply.

‘Truth is but illusion. Reality is but a mortal dream. What do you seek, dreamer?’

‘I’m looking for a girl; her name is Tanith.’

‘Know this, mortal. You are in the Realm of Paradox—my realm. It is a world of possibilities and contradictions. None may find what they seek unless they pay the price.’

‘What price?’ you ask.

‘My price. Will you pay it?’
Shall we agree or refuse?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That thing with the statue went basically exactly how I was hoping it would. :allears:

Also, calling it now, the Black Wizard is us from another universe, taken over by the Screaming Demon.

"What are you going to do, make more illusions at me?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh no loving evil clones! gently caress THOSE GUYS.

Also goddammit we know how this works. Agree

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I remember the Chaos Master from Lone Wolf, no way we’re powerful enough to fight him. Agree.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PMush Perfect posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

quote:

Suddenly you realize that you did not warn the Academicians of the peril of the Screaming God

Suuure. We forgot. :munch:

Agree, just to find out what he wants.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wizards, no sense of right and wrong. :allears:

Let's agree

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Refuse.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh no loving evil clones! gently caress THOSE GUYS.
My thoughts exactly.

Agree

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is the most contentious poll we've had in a while.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im surprised that we dont have yet another useless prophecy option here though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Wizards, no sense of right and wrong. :allears:

Let's agree

Immediately, you are standing in the court of the Chaos-master. The high walls ripple with light as the strange architecture of the Master’s hall changes constantly. In the centre of the hall, upon an obsidian throne, is seated the Chaos-master himself, ruler of the Realm of the Paradox. He makes a disturbing sight: a giant over thirty feet in height, his facial features and characteristics are in a state of constant flux, continually melting into new and hideous guises. You glimpse dark and loathsome creatures, beasts, and beings of indescribable horror, writhing within this awesome god.

‘Welcome to the Master’s court!’ he bellows. ‘Allow me to introduce my guests.’

Slowly a dark-robed figure walks into the hall. He wears a hood and carries a black staff. Following immediately behind is Tanith. She gives you a brave smile.

‘May I present the Wizard, Grey Star.’

A deep dread stirs in your heart. Suddenly, the robed figure pulls back his hood to reveal your own face staring at you. ‘Welcome, brother,’ says your twin. ‘I have long looked forward to this meeting.’

The Chaos-master’s braying laughter fills the hall as he watches the stunned expression on your face. ‘Are you not amused?’ he roars.

You study your identical twin opposite and sense an aura of evil. It is a creation of Shasarak, sent to thwart your final bid to claim the Moonstone. In the Shianti language such a creature is known as a Jahksa, the spiritual apparition of one already living, a perversion of nature and a being of great evil. Without the human emotions of guilt, remorse, and sorrow, a Jahksa has no conscience or morals, and is a passionless killer.

‘And now,’ intones the Chaos-master, when the echo of his laughter has finally subsided, ‘tell me what it is you seek?’ Carefully, you weigh in your mind what you should ask.

You ask for Tanith’s return and enquire how you may reach the Realm of the Moonstone. The Master explains the route you must take towards a place called the Moaning Mountain. He goes on to reveal that in the side of the Moaning Mountain is a cavern and at the end of the cavern there is a Gate out of the realm that leads to a place called the Vale of Peace. The people of the Vale are wise and friendly and will show you how to reach the Realm of the Moonstone.

He then returns Tanith to you, but your joy is subdued when the Master demands his terms: you may only leave the realm if the Jahksa accompanies you.

The Chaos-master has placed you in an impossible situation, as was his intention. You are being forced to take your enemy with you on your quest, the success of which he seeks to prevent.

You and Tanith walk back to the Ethetron, the Jahksa close behind. With a smirk, he, too, squeezes into the little craft. As you rise into the air and steer towards the Moaning Mountain, you rack your brains for a way of ridding yourself of your enemy, standing at the far end of the craft and grinning maliciously at you.

There is little you can do, for your attention is devoted to operating the controls that keep the Ethetron in flight. Your nerves are constantly on edge; the Jahksa is in an ideal position to bring the craft down in the writhing sea below and you are plagued by the thought that the Jahksa can predict your every move.

A large bank of storm clouds ahead spells trouble. The Jahksa has been silent for a long time and you wonder if he has summoned an Elemental storm against you.
Shall we use Prophecy or Elementalism, attack the Jahksa, or wait and see what happens?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving CLONES LETS KILL HIM

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elementalism hasn't come up as an option in a while!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm betting the Jahksa won't kill us yet because Shasarak wants that Moonstone. Lets part the storm clouds with Elementalism.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's just wait, the clone can't be that evil can he?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jackard posted:

I'm betting the Jahksa won't kill us yet because Shasarak wants that Moonstone. Lets part the storm clouds with Elementalism.

Makes sense to me!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Let’s wait and see what happens.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Let’s wait and see what happens.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Kiss our clone!Use Elementalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

I HATE evil twins. Always found them a cheap and annoying literary trick to force some pathos and tension in a story.

Go for Elementalism.