Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Fan thermo switch and dash temp sender are different things. Figure out which of the two is which, test your sender resistance at room temperature and then in a cup of hot water - the reading should change in step with temperature. Have you got a wiring diagram? A GPX or similar should have the same wiring setup. You could also try supplying the gauge 12V fed through a resistor.

Sounds good, the wiring looks relatively straightforward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Upon further reading the dash sensor is an old school 1 wire sensor that might just need the crud cleaned off the tip. It's freakin $50 USD on ebay to replace

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right so just see if you've got 12v running to it and if it's got some sort of resistance measuring continuity through the sender to the engine or earth strap.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A bag from mcmaster showed up on friday and it was just a bag of 100 nylon washers :lol: Hopefully the screws for the plastics show up today.

A local moto FB group was discussing the safety inspection and apparently you need a chain guard, mine is missing so I've ordered one, luckily it's one of the parts that's in common with the 88-07 model and I've snagged one on ebay for cheap. The bolts are the same thread as the fairing screws so that should be fine. The same discussion said you need a license plate light, I don't think my bike has one but it is stock for 1986 so it should be fine? Can't imagine they'd force me to retro mod a license plate light into the wiring harness.

I've been on the fence whether I want to fix the paint runs on the fairing.. I guess I'll do it

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

On the license plate light, I don't think so but you might want to check your state laws. Wisconsin lists this:

quote:

At minimum, your street-legal motorcycle should have: Headlight, taillight and brakelight. Front and rear brakes. Turn signals. Horn. Two mirrors.

McMaster Carrtel is great but I swear their entire business model is based off gouging for shipping and handling. Always best to order from them in big batches.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've got the legislation

https://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/regs/annual/2019/031.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0BW4sQFHQpAdCSwwBudEkNPr6JEDJfGPjAtcGmGZ_OyXs2YejvEByFRgU

quote:

12. Lamps as follows:
(a) one or two headlamps, having both
low-beam and high-beam functionality;
(b) one or more tail lamps;
(c) one or more stop lamps;
(d) two front and two rear turn signal lamps
if the motorcycle was manufactured on or
after January 1, 1974;
(e) a rear number plate lamp.

Maybe I do have one, gotta check

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You definitely have one, or space for one, it should live in this little wart on the back:

mewse
May 2, 2006

My habit of worrying out loud about trivial details yields another success

mewse
May 2, 2006

Got the fasteners today. Reassembly in progress

Right side fairing needs sanding+paint because of the runs.

Turns out I do have a license plate light and it's working. Bent the license plate bracket back into place while I was back there, it's got a bunch of surface rust I should probably take care of.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's looking good!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks great! Never realised they had such miserable brakes though, I imagine doing a front end swap from a later model would take care of that. That 1970's single piston looks useless.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

That looks great! Never realised they had such miserable brakes though, I imagine doing a front end swap from a later model would take care of that. That 1970's single piston looks useless.

Yeah I dunno as a noob I've got nothing to compare it to. I did put HH pads on it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh also I cracked the front fender :rip:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Opened up the misc parts for the lower cowl kit and I think it's American rather than Japanese, like Kawasaki USA not Japan. The cowl is fibreglass rather than ABS, and half the fasteners are imperial. Gonna try to scan the instructions tomorrow.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse
May 2, 2006

The chain guard came in, so I bolted that on. Bolted the lower cowl on as well

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I went back to look at the very first picture in the thread. drat, that's night and day.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

mewse posted:

The chain guard came in, so I bolted that on. Bolted the lower cowl on as well

Looking good! The bike is really coming together nicely.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im selling my ex500 to a buddy next week but this god drat thread is making me think about turning right around and picking up a 250 to fix up for a grocery getter
well done

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It looks great, man. You must be psyched.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This is indeed a cool and good thread, I love seeing and hearing about your progress.
This. I just discovered this thread and was terrified that it'd be sparse updates with nothing getting done.

But god drat. You're a Ninjette Necromancer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm in a sadbrains rut right now where I don't work on the bike and then I avoid it because I'm upset with myself for not working on it

Need to:

- Sand and repaint right side fairing to get rid of paint runs
- Loctite the front reflectors that mount on the fairings
- Drill out mirror mount holes on both fairings to accommodate new bikemaster mirrors
- Oil (wash first?) foam air filter with proper foam filter oil
- Replace clip master link with rivet master link
- De-rust license plate bracket, install steel license plate reinforcement
- Change bike registration from 87 to 86 by providing photos of neck badge
- Call provincial monopoly insurance company and ask where I can get safety inspection done
- Book safety inspection
- Figure out how to get the bike to the safety inspection

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah degrease that filter first, its got tons of dust and grit trapped in the filter particles. I use simple green but basically any grease cutter should do it

You can do it! We believe in you!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah degrease that filter first, its got tons of dust and grit trapped in the filter particles. I use simple green but basically any grease cutter should do it

It hasn't been on the road. I saturated it with K&N filter oil last year and wondered why it was so runny, not knowing that that stuff was for their perm filters. The UNI foam filter oil bottle instructs to clean the foam first so the fresh oil doesn't get diluted, but I didn't buy the cleaner, wondering if I can just dish soap it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You definitely can use dish soap, it's just a pain in the arse getting all the gunk out because the soap and water will turn the oil into thick white globs that you have to squeeze out of the filter with your hands :cumpolice:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah my go-to for those is kerosene, melts the poo poo right out of there then you just blow it out with compressed air.

Petrol also works well but not recommended if it's got any glue seams.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I gather diesel is sufficiently equivalent to kerosene for this purpose? Lots of other forums posts waffling about the fine differences in terms of weight and energy density and hydrocarbon composition but I've had a hard time finding anyone just saying "yes diesel will dissolve the poo poo out of engine oil just as good as kerosene".

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Petrol also works well but not recommended if it's got any glue seams.

It's just a slab of foam with no seams so I might bathe it in gasoline

Would mineral spirits work?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I gather diesel is sufficiently equivalent to kerosene for this purpose? Lots of other forums posts waffling about the fine differences in terms of weight and energy density and hydrocarbon composition but I've had a hard time finding anyone just saying "yes diesel will dissolve the poo poo out of engine oil just as good as kerosene".

I've never tried diesel but my past experiences with it are that it turns everything into a horrible slimy mess, so I dunno.

mewse posted:

It's just a slab of foam with no seams so I might bathe it in gasoline

Would mineral spirits work?

Never tried it, I don't know if they would play nice with the foam though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just wash it in your sink with dish detergent and put it on the drying rack. I did this the other night with a prefilter I made for my K&N from the same material. My hands were clean afterward, taking a step out of the process and the whole thing was a lot more pleasant. It was dry by morning and I oiled it up and reinstalled it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

New aliexpress parts

Alu CNC gas filler cap, flat blade screwdriver tips that will actually work in carbs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Going for a Broppe on my dïrghtbæke later

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cold and rainy today but seems like the bike is running on one cylinder. Will have to check for spark on both sides sometime later

e: installed the new oil fill cap and it seems strictly better

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 23, 2019

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

mewse posted:

I'm in a sadbrains rut right now where I don't work on the bike and then I avoid it because I'm upset with myself for not working on it

whoa, are you me?

mewse
May 2, 2006

With reasonable confidence in the carbs, and a disinclination to pull them again, I pulled the spark plugs and there was no spark on right hand plug. Swapped the plugs and the problem swapped sides as well. Both plugs are fouled black, probably when I was running super rich to compensate for an air box that wasn’t hooked up. Going to order a pair + spares

mewse
May 2, 2006

While waiting for new NGK plugs to show up I decided to throw in the old champion plugs that the bike came with, because they looked brand new.

The engine seems to be running perfectly.

De-rusting the license plate bracket right now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just get on it and ride that poo poo already.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bad news: I broke the left fairing again by accidentally resting it on the wrong edge

Good news: drilling out the fairings with a 5/8" bit allowed new ninja 250 mirrors to mount

quote:

- Sand and repaint right side fairing to get rid of paint runs
- Loctite the front reflectors that mount on the fairings
- Drill out mirror mount holes on both fairings to accommodate new bikemaster mirrors
- Oil (wash first?) foam air filter with proper foam filter oil
- Replace clip master link with rivet master link
- De-rust license plate bracket, install steel license plate reinforcement
- Change bike registration from 87 to 86 by providing photos of neck badge
- Call provincial monopoly insurance company and ask where I can get safety inspection done
- Book safety inspection
- Figure out how to get the bike to the safety inspection

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 31, 2019

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yo, I dunno if I would run those Champion plugs https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changing_the_spark_plugs_%26_brands_to_avoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All plugs that aren't NGK plugs are evil plugs, not to be used. The only plugs are NGK plugs.