Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nithe

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mng posted:

This is the price of having a larger brain than neanderthals. Grunts and ughs were fine as long as the work got done.

Neanderthals had larger brains than homo sapiens.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is extremely misleading. The guy should be "English ortography" not "English language".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is extremely misleading. The guy should be "English ortography" not "English language".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tee.

R: yes.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I wasn’t getting the b/f thing/thief issue until I pretended to have an exaggerated accent and then it immediately clicked.

“Gimme vat back, you feef!” is an intelligible way for it to sound even if you yourself don’t say it that way.

“Gimme fat back, you veef,” well, isn’t. At all. Nobody says it like that, anywhere.

It’s getting confused, I think, because TV americans DO say “thhhh” rather than either of the other ones, right? This part I suck at explaining. Or, uh. More than at that other part, anyway.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

burial posted:

“Gimme vat back, you feef!” is an intelligible way for it to sound even if you yourself don’t say it that way.

Ahh, the sound of Romford on a Saturday night.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

orthography or orthography?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

burial posted:

I wasn’t getting the b/f thing/thief issue until I pretended to have an exaggerated accent and then it immediately clicked.

“Gimme fat back, you veef,” well, isn’t. At all. Nobody says it like that, anywhere.

It’s getting confused, I think, because TV americans DO say “thhhh” rather than either of the other ones, right? This part I suck at explaining. Or, uh. More than at that other part, anyway.

I think it's just harder to differentiate than other voiced/unvoiced pairs.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
That/thief took me a few spoken tries to hear the difference, but I do pronounce them differently. It's a good analogy to compare it to the sounds of f/v.

Ffff and Vvvv. Thfff and Thvvv.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's Monday morning and yall still doing this bullshit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

burial posted:

TV americans definitely have exaggerated generic american accents but "dhey" do differentiate between dhe voiced and unvoiced versions. It's nearly impossible to swap dhem if you don't want to sound like a crazy person. It would be like saying "toks parg ant gadz meow." It's easier to demonstrate dhe thief thieving dhis thistle difference by actually swapping them vocally than by typing it but I hope that helps

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jerry Cotton posted:

What do birds have to do with this

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What do birds have to do with this

I'm sorry that you got left hanging for three days, but lol.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just realised that the Yiddish "tokhes" - meaning "arse" - comes from the Hebrew "takhat" - meaning "underneath" or "below".

... *google* *google* ...

and apparently "takhat" itself also means "arse", when used as a noun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just realized it's actually fairly normal for a lot of places to get some rain in the summer, even lightning and big downpours.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The word "mulatto" comes from mule.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baronjutter posted:

Just realized it's actually fairly normal for a lot of places to get some rain in the summer, even lightning and big downpours.

We got some hail last night here in Copenhagen

It's actually pretty refreshing when it's like 80 degrees out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got hailed on yesterday morning just as I got out of the train and started walking to work. It stopped immediately after I arrived.

Come to think of it, where isn't it normal for it to rain during summer, except obvious places like deserts

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phlegmish posted:

I got hailed on yesterday morning just as I got out of the train and started walking to work. It stopped immediately after I arrived.

Come to think of it, where isn't it normal for it to rain during summer, except obvious places like deserts

They say San Francisco has a Mediterranean climate, but when we went to Italy we discovered that was bullshit.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I somehow only just now realized that Woody of Toy Story is voiced by Tom Hanks.
I've seen plenty of Tom Hanks movies but for some reason it never clicked who that voice actually was.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Garrand posted:

I somehow only just now realized that Woody of Toy Story is voiced by Tom Hanks.
I've seen plenty of Tom Hanks movies but for some reason it never clicked who that voice actually was.

I know I was surprised when I learned Buzz is voiced by a former Cocaine dealer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody would trust him to be a current cocaine dealer

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody would trust him to be a current cocaine dealer

From what I've heard they shouldn't have trusted him back then either.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks to the Funny Pictures thread, I had to untangle John Landis from John Hughes in my head. I thought Landis was the dead one. Now I only wish he was.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Snitch Twoyear

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I learned today 'Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid' is not a cowboy movie.

I never saw it, and from the title I just always assumed it was about the real guys. :downs:

E: My brother also assumed it was a cowboy movie until I told him what I learned

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Jun 23, 2019

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

I never saw it, and from the title I just always assumed it was about the real guys. :downs:

E: My brother also assumed it was a cowboy movie until I told him what I learned

...what?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

what the hell did you learn

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Jun 23, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

The "real guys" weren't cowboys, HTH.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

two murderes who went south of the border cause it got too hot stateside, then maybe died in a shootout & also they were super handsome and had excellent quips

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I always just assumed it was some heroic red-blooded rootin'-tootin' cowboy flick.

I think I had Butch and Sundance mixed up with 'heroic' types for decades.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In that case, maybe look up tragic or anti-heroes, op

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Actually, isn't it in the post spaghetti revisionist western wave? Westerns being cowboy movies

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

LadyPictureShow posted:

I also just learned this. What the

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I've never actually finished watching The Wild Bunch :prepop:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Look at this guy who never played the Yukon trail and got hoodwinked into buying a bunch of gold sniffing gophers

The game of "oof"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

starkebn posted:

orthography or orthography?
What? No.

It's orthography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

LadyPictureShow posted:

I always just assumed it was some heroic red-blooded rootin'-tootin' cowboy flick.

I think I had Butch and Sundance mixed up with 'heroic' types for decades.

Were you confusing this movie with Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, maybe?