Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Contrast demo day at the local GW store, and I must say the most exciting paint so far for me has been Basilicanum Grey.

One coat and this thing was looking exactly how I want my latest terrain piece to look.

That terrain? You guessed it, Basilicanum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Canadian webstore they are all completely sold out in any colour I wanted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

Canadian webstore they are all completely sold out in any colour I wanted.

US webstore is looking the same way.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Should be amusing to see how long it takes to get back in stock.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

Should be amusing to see how long it takes to get back in stock.

Is it made in China?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I was able to order everything I wanted, but everything I wanted was from the discontinued ForgeWorld air paint list. I imagine those air paints aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

TKIY posted:

Is it made in China?

All their paint bottles say Made in the U.K. I suspect they really do make them there and it's not just some "Well, we make the bottles here and we put the paint into the bottles here, so legally we're allowed to claim it's made here" chicanery, mostly because quality control and color matching from batch to batch are something that a) really matters when you're selling a standardized paint line and b) is way easier to ensure when the factory where the paint is being made is across a parking lot from your corporate offices.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

I was able to order everything I wanted, but everything I wanted was from the discontinued ForgeWorld air paint list. I imagine those air paints aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

All their paint bottles say Made in the U.K. I suspect they really do make them there and it's not just some "Well, we make the bottles here and we put the paint into the bottles here, so legally we're allowed to claim it's made here" chicanery, mostly because quality control and color matching from batch to batch are something that a) really matters when you're selling a standardized paint line and b) is way easier to ensure when the factory where the paint is being made is across a parking lot from your corporate offices.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I think you can look up the manufacturer from somewhere (might have been based on external safety stuff) and it was some mid size company in England. I might be waffling out my rear end though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Uh, no. People have been going crazy over those returning.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Averland Sunset spray primer is going away :(

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

Uh, no. People have been going crazy over those returning.

I mean, I know I have. Here's the list of what I ordered, all in the Air versions:

-Corvus Black
-Night Lords Blue
-Valdor Gold
-Iron Hands Steel
-Grey Knights Steel
-Thallax Gold
-Castellax Bronze
-Angron Red Clear
-Calth Blue Clear
-Mortarion Green Clear
-Deathshroud Clear

But I suspect these are rather more niche than the contrast paints (who are pitched to everyone), and so we've got a situation where contrasts are selling out because everyone is buying them, and the FW air paints aren't selling out because they're mostly being bought by, uh, enthusiasts, of whom there aren't as many. I mean maybe I'm wrong and those preorder buttons for the new air paints will start blinking into out of stock buttons over the next week, I dunno.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 9, 2019

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Nah I think you're right in general but I'd not be surprised if Valdor Gold and Lupercal Green go out of stock pretty fast.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

Nah I think you're right in general but I'd not be surprised if Valdor Gold and Lupercal Green go out of stock pretty fast.

Valdor Gold looks like such an interesting color in every picture I've seen. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I couldn't bring myself to order online. I need to see this stuff in person before I pull the trigger. Guess I'll be waiting a bit.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
- xpost -

Contrast paints are good, ya'll.

This is after 5 minutes of painting, during a game I was playing at the local GW store.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
What are the must-have metallics these days? I remember that once-upon-a-time Citadel's Mithril Silver was like painting with liquid sex, and nothing has compared with that experience for me since. Help me chase that dragon. Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, Tamiya, Army Painter, whatever's actually good.

I want painting my metallics to be like falling in love all over again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tadhg posted:

What are the must-have metallics these days? I remember that once-upon-a-time Citadel's Mithril Silver was like painting with liquid sex, and nothing has compared with that experience for me since. Help me chase that dragon. Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, Tamiya, Army Painter, whatever's actually good.

I want painting my metallics to be like falling in love all over again.

Vallejo Metal Color for your steels and steel-adjacents, Scale 75 for your golds.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Seconding Vallejo Metal Colors, coverage is excellent and smooth as butter. I've only played around with a couple Scale 75 colors, and only in shades of brass / copper, but those have been great as well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I actually haven't had any bad experiences yet with the Army Painter metallics, but I ended up grabbing a set of Vallejo Model Air metallics since I got a good deal on them, and the silver/steel-type metallics are just as good as I'd remembered them being.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I actually haven't had any bad experiences yet with the Army Painter metallics, but I ended up grabbing a set of Vallejo Model Air metallics since I got a good deal on them, and the silver/steel-type metallics are just as good as I'd remembered them being.

VMA Silver and Gunmetal are amazing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I really like Citadel's Retributor Armour, but I can take or leave the other Citadel metallics. I do miss the old Mithril Silver; it was extremely nice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/AOTI40K/status/1137640396958420992

This might be of interest to some people.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Thank you for this. This pleases me greatly.

(I was hoping they'd have a space marine of each colour and each base on the website like they had on display at warhammerfest but lol GW)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Is The Army Painter's anti-shine matt varnish any good? I've always heard that Testor's Dullcote is the best matt varnish, but I can't find any online store that currently has it in stock and sells it for less than £11 with shipping. Should I just shell out the extra quid, or are alternatives fine?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm really liking Valejo Mecha Steel, it's a nice middle brightness metallic that goes on smooth and takes washes really well.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I kind of don't dig the shading effect contrast gives and don't want it to become the "default" look, but

TheBigAristotle posted:

Contrast demo day at the local GW store, and I must say the most exciting paint so far for me has been Basilicanum Grey.

One coat and this thing was looking exactly how I want my latest terrain piece to look.

That terrain? You guessed it, Basilicanum.

I do like that for under shading.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The Corax White is just regular primer, not the “special” contrast primer right? Still looks good.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Is The Army Painter's anti-shine matt varnish any good? I've always heard that Testor's Dullcote is the best matt varnish, but I can't find any online store that currently has it in stock and sells it for less than £11 with shipping. Should I just shell out the extra quid, or are alternatives fine?

It's okay, but not as matt as dullcote. They should really call it satin varnish

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

head58 posted:

The Corax White is just regular primer, not the “special” contrast primer right? Still looks good.

Yup.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

People like Dulcote cause it's easy to apply. The Army Painter one is OK, kinda satin. I use Vallejo and a big bottle I got from an art supply store. If you need to varnish something get the AP while you look for better alternatives. Any varnish is better than none.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I like DullCote because it is loving matte. Like, not a hint of shine if applied properly. Given that I'm often using it over top an oil-based wash that dries with a gloss finish, the fact that it completely blasts the shine is fantastic.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I played around with the contrast paints yesterday, got to say they are pretty great.

The undercoats are not satin, they have the same 'tooth' as matt airbrush undercoats. Definitely a smoother finish than GW's other primers, but definitely not satin.

The thing I like most about them is the ability to paint smaller details quickly like belts and straps and little glass bottles. Usually I enjoy painting the large areas of the models then lose motivation and rush the small details. But you can get reasonable results with one pass of a contrast colour on a belt or bauble.

I will post a picture of the stormcast I painted up when I get the chance.

Edit: one thing is the paint does not seem to adhere as well as the rest of the citadel range. I'm not sure if I should have given it more drying time, or if it is the primer or what, but it's it doesn't seem very durable. I was handling painted areas more than usual because I was painting in-store and didn't have my usual set up or sub assemblies so couldn't effectively reach hard to paint areas. I'm thinking if I could actually give the paints half an hr to dry in a batch painting scenario then it might not be an issue.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

People like Dulcote cause it's easy to apply. The Army Painter one is OK, kinda satin. I use Vallejo and a big bottle I got from an art supply store. If you need to varnish something get the AP while you look for better alternatives. Any varnish is better than none.

The can of AP Matte I bought years ago (>8) was very nice and matte. A newer can purchased about 4 years ago was decidely satin. I wonder if they'd changed their formulation in the interim.

Also I painted some ASOIAF Starks. The sculpting in general was decent, but the fine detail was a little soft, particularly on the faces. There was also injection fill issues with Sansa, and there's all sorts of odd cracks you can see on her upper skirt along with the whorling patter on the side of her cloak. Otherwise a quick and easy paint job.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

I'll second vallejo matte varnish. I grabbed some Dulcote off recommendations from here and it seemed to be more satin than matte. I'm not sure if i had a bad bottle or what; but vallejo's matte was more matte.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve never sprayed any type of finish on my completed models. What should I be using?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve never sprayed any type of finish on my completed models. What should I be using?

Dulcote.

Hixson posted:

I'll second vallejo matte varnish. I grabbed some Dulcote off recommendations from here and it seemed to be more satin than matte. I'm not sure if i had a bad bottle or what; but vallejo's matte was more matte.

The Vallejo seems like it doesn't darken models as much as some other matte varnishes I've tried.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

Edit: one thing is the paint does not seem to adhere as well as the rest of the citadel range. I'm not sure if I should have given it more drying time, or if it is the primer or what, but it's it doesn't seem very durable. I was handling painted areas more than usual because I was painting in-store and didn't have my usual set up or sub assemblies so couldn't effectively reach hard to paint areas. I'm thinking if I could actually give the paints half an hr to dry in a batch painting scenario then it might not be an issue.

The paint layers are significantly thinner than when using a typical paint, so they're much easier to rub off. GW recommends varnishing after you've applied the contrast paints.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Big Willy Style posted:

I played around with the contrast paints yesterday, got to say they are pretty great.

The undercoats are not satin, they have the same 'tooth' as matt airbrush undercoats. Definitely a smoother finish than GW's other primers, but definitely not satin.

The thing I like most about them is the ability to paint smaller details quickly like belts and straps and little glass bottles. Usually I enjoy painting the large areas of the models then lose motivation and rush the small details. But you can get reasonable results with one pass of a contrast colour on a belt or bauble.

I will post a picture of the stormcast I painted up when I get the chance.

lovely pictures sorry, I'm on holiday and using my cheap smart phone for pics. Colour names could be wrong as well, I'm going by memory.

Undercoated with grey seer. I started with 2 coats of the voloupos pink to get the saturation I wanted for the armour. Then the I hit the robes with one coat of apothecary white. Then I did a coat of iyanden yellow on the gold trim. Belts/straps got one coat of black Templar. The mace is a coat of the balisicum grey, the leather on the handle is snakebite leather. The glass shard thing in his hip is a coat of the light blue (blanking on the colours name) Base was done with goregrunta fur and splotches of creed camo green. The leaves on the base are Ork flesh green. The base edge was 3 coats of black templar as we only had contrast paints to work with. I did a quick edge highlight on the armour by mixing grey seer base paint and voloupos pink.

If I was going this at home I would have painted the gold with metallics and the base with my usual techniques but would do everything else the same.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Someone on the Reaper boards posted their own impressions.

One thing they brought up that I think it going to be interesting are the results you can get from applying coats over each other. Mostly here we've been talking about that as an issue; trying to get rid of the green where yellow and blue meet, say. But it looks like there are going to be some fun interactions. Like, in one of the videos linked in this thread, the person applying them found the black paint was a little too light with one coat, but too black on two. However, apparently applying black over the Space Wolves gray looks much better.

I still don't think these are going to be, like, life-changing, but I think there will be some fun uses for these paints even beyond speed-painting as the more technically skilled artists play around with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So if someone already has the Scale 75 golds & coppers

What colours would you say are "must buys" from the FW range, I'm thinking the waterbased clears could be a good punt