Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so I took on a Siege contract during a Noble Crisis, and aren't you supposed to have allies during these? Game threw me against two groups of 15+ Noble troops on my own with no chance to switch out dudes in the meantime, cost me two of my best dudes during the second battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, so I took on a Siege contract during a Noble Crisis, and aren't you supposed to have allies during these? Game threw me against two groups of 15+ Noble troops on my own with no chance to switch out dudes in the meantime, cost me two of my best dudes during the second battle.

nope, no allies for the siege event from i've seen. narratively they're supposed to be fighting on the walls/sleeping while your sent to the gates/found a hidden entrance.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Roobanguy posted:

nope, no allies for the siege event from i've seen. narratively they're supposed to be fighting on the walls/sleeping while your sent to the gates/found a hidden entrance.

That's pretty rough for a 2-skull contract, I have to say.

To top it off, I got a sacrifice event right after that cost me another 3 dudes, haha
Man, playing cultists is rough during a crisis.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Mazz posted:

I’m not 100% on that but 1. It felt off and repeating the same events a lot and 2. It edits events.cnut and hasn’t been updated in a couple months. That later thing is a big red flag to me, at least from my TW2 modding. That file could cover a whole lot so without opening it I’d rather be safe.

Anecdotal, but the event fired as my next event after removing this mod. It was a little redundant as it looks like a patch increased events anyway. Thank you for the heads up!

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I wasn't expecting it but apparently 20 honor guard will kill 9 unholds very easily.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah regular unholds take HP damage right away so anything that can land hits consistently on them can beat them up. Most AI groups lose because they miss too much, whereas like honor guard or chosen it kind of gets reversed. The snow ones are a bit more durable and can beat up some tough parties and the armored snow ones can beat up a whole bunch of poo poo since they regen all the HP damage they take before you strip off the ~400 armor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*chases a band of 7 brigands into a swamp*
"This'll be easy!"

*band of 20 brigands materializes*
OH NO.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Hey I just started and read the excellent goon made guide. I have a question tho.

I am about 20 days in, I have 12 guys armed with spears or flails/ shields, two hammer brothers, a couple of bow men and a dude with my team flag.

I need to start upgrading my arms and armor. But I can't seem to get ahead money wise. Taking 700 g missions then having to move to another town to look for more work eats up any profits.

Is there anything I am missing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look at your costs. Are the guys with high pay really worth it? Look at running trade goods if you can afford any. Enemy camps usually have loot.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ScottyJSno posted:

Hey I just started and read the excellent goon made guide. I have a question tho.

I am about 20 days in, I have 12 guys armed with spears or flails/ shields, two hammer brothers, a couple of bow men and a dude with my team flag.

I need to start upgrading my arms and armor. But I can't seem to get ahead money wise. Taking 700 g missions then having to move to another town to look for more work eats up any profits.

Is there anything I am missing?
Post a screenshot of the map you're on. It might just be poo poo.

Besides that, don't worry too much at that point. You barely break even in BB until you don't and money starts coming in by the thousands. At day 20 you're not at that point yet. You most likely haven't unlocked noble contracts yet, 2 skull contracts are probably mostly so dangerous that you need to think twice before taking them on, and the only enemy camps you can safely take on are lovely huts - that you should attack, though; free trade or loot item in addition to the regular battle loot.

If you're still in this position by day 40 then you worry.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Roobanguy posted:

I've definitely had allies for sieges before, but they're additional stacks placed on the map that need to be in just the right spot to actually join in fights. It's weird. Settlement size and contract difficulty might play a role in whether you get some other stacks to drag into fights, I dunno.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay I barely survived that ambush.

Oh god there's two more stacks of a dozen brigands each.

oh god we're hosed.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Ah yes, game, I see you've gone for Thirty loving Goblins on a Hill, a timeless classic.

e: Turns out that thirty goblins on a hill? Actually completely harmless.
But twelve Honor Guards in a swamp with a terrain setup that favored my bros to an obscene degree?

I think there was a turn where these idiots missed literally every attack. (Except for Bernfried; Bernfried the Ratcatcher is the best.)

It was an impressive display of :xcom:

Also, let this screenshot serve as a reminder that Nimble bros are like mayflies.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 9, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Getting an expert/expert Ironman peasant militia game off the ground

Also getting the feeling that “lose 10 Ironman games” achievement is in the bag

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So after having bounced around between various starts, I think I probably like Beasthunters the most. Not necessarily in a mechanical way, because the selling cost cut does hurt, but thematically. It's fun to go out specifically looking for beast contracts, and picking up any rando nobody in towns that have a hatred of beasts or greenskins or undead.

Anyway, what are some fun/interesting seeds for a bunch of beasthunters?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Is there a way of extracting the stat values of every potential hireling in the game? Wanna make some graphs

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just took on a 3-skull contract to clear out a Barbarian camp and it gave me the event where I could choose to fight their champion instead. Turns out it was an actual champion instead of some random Chosen this time around, and he dropped a famed barbarian helmet when he died, so that's a thing that can happen.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Doing the Northern Raiders start and it's going really well by day 50, I'm allied to the southern-most noble house and the other two are hostile. If there's no Taxidermist in any of my allied cities is there a point to saving all the horns, brains, teeth, etc?

Edit: map seed is KidNation

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 9, 2019

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Wizard Styles posted:

Post a screenshot of the map you're on. It might just be poo poo.

Besides that, don't worry too much at that point. You barely break even in BB until you don't and money starts coming in by the thousands. At day 20 you're not at that point yet. You most likely haven't unlocked noble contracts yet, 2 skull contracts are probably mostly so dangerous that you need to think twice before taking them on, and the only enemy camps you can safely take on are lovely huts - that you should attack, though; free trade or loot item in addition to the regular battle loot.

If you're still in this position by day 40 then you worry.

How/When do Noble contracts unlock? Is it tied to the ambition?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the best lone wolf seed anyone has found?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mugsbaloney posted:

Is there a way of extracting the stat values of every potential hireling in the game? Wanna make some graphs
This was literally the first thing people did when decompiling and modding the game's scripts became possible.
I know the wiki has a table listing all the backgrounds, maybe there's a downloadable spreadsheet as well. Otherwise it shouldn't be hard to find one somewhere on Reddit or Steam or whatever.

ScottyJSno posted:

How/When do Noble contracts unlock? Is it tied to the ambition?
Yeah, and you can always check how close you are to being able to fulfil that ambition by checking your current renown. You need 1,050 for the ambition.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mugsbaloney posted:

Wiki has a table of all the min and max values of each background.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Battle Brothers Character Attributes

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the best lone wolf seed anyone has found?

Try Mazzarella, the lone wolf is 3/2/3 on the big 3 stats with the +5 melee skill trait, and all the towns are more or less one big circle road. The north is especially good, there is an area direct to the east of Vardested that is literally always full of barbarian groups to farm for money in the mid game. Two fletchers on the map, both in foresty towns, and Vardested and Skagaborg in the north have hunting contests weirdly often for ranged recruits. I spent all day looking for another map to play on for the militia game and I ended up back on this one.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 10, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pretty sure the lone wolf has the same stars on every map. I’m on my phone so linking is :effort: but if you google “battle brothers best lone wolf seeds” or something along those lines there’s a steam post with a list of seeds with good traits so you can find one with iron lungs and surefooted or whatever op trait combo you want

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
A huge drunkard is also a good combo and fits the character theme.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Cool, thanks! Do you know where the raw data for this is kept?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they buff the Beast Slayers origin? I seem to remember it being 25% chance for a bonus trophy at some point, and now it's 50%.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mugsbaloney posted:

What are you attempting to achieve with this data?

Out of interest

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mugsbaloney posted:

There's no need to collect data anymore. This is straight from the game's decompiled scripts.

http://www.adammil.net/blog/v133_Battle_Brothers_mod_kit.html

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure the lone wolf has the same stars on every map. I’m on my phone so linking is :effort: but if you google “battle brothers best lone wolf seeds” or something along those lines there’s a steam post with a list of seeds with good traits so you can find one with iron lungs and surefooted or whatever op trait combo you want

That makes sense actually. Mostly though I really like the map. The road network actually feels like it makes sense and no town is really out of place (a couple in the south but they have harbors).

On that note does anyone have a map with harbors in good spots in both the north and south and good roads ? I hate when half the towns on a map feel inaccessible from the rest of the map, which is unfortunately kind of common.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 10, 2019

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Kinda funny but if you have a background that can convert to cultist with the dumb trait after they convert a priest can still teach them to read and get rid of the dumb trait.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, the mod that lets you have sixteen party members with lone wolf has made me a convert

The first couple levels are a pain but berserking your way through bandit thugs on day 10 is amazing

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, the mod that lets you have sixteen party members with lone wolf has made me a convert

The first couple levels are a pain but berserking your way through bandit thugs on day 10 is amazing

The biggest problem with my militia start now is I keep thinking I can attack again after killing someone. It really messes me up.

Also my dumb rear end took a 3 star camp mission at day 15 and it’s got 4 marksman in a swamp, sorry town but you ain’t getting that idol back.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

My favorite enemy in the game, Mercenary That Rolled Really Bad Gear and Also Has That Hairstyle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

My favorite enemy in the game, Mercenary That Rolled Really Bad Gear and Also Has That Hairstyle.

I remember reading a Dev comment somewhere where someone called them out on that one and their defense was "it's historically accurate"

Thank god for the barber

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The awful hair mustache combo is :discourse:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Mate that hair is boss I put that on my best killer every time.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Peasant militia really isn't made for expert/expert ironman, everything seems peachy until you run into trouble and lose 6 people because they all feel like trash garbage. Meanwhile I'm trying to get my numbers up just to have bodies to throw in the way of the few guys who I actually want to survive. It's like one big vicious circle.

On the plus side I am absolutely mastering the "kite things into other things" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mazz posted:

Peasant militia really isn't made for expert/expert ironman, everything seems peachy until you run into trouble and lose 6 people because they all feel like trash garbage. Meanwhile I'm trying to get my numbers up just to have bodies to throw in the way of the few guys who I actually want to survive. It's like one big vicious circle.

On the plus side I am absolutely mastering the "kite things into other things" strategy.

The trick is to realize that it's OK to lose some people. Enemies scale based on a few factors, one of which is the total # of levels you are fielding (# of brothers times their level). If you're feeling the squeeze, it's really not worth bankrupting yourself to throw bodies on the field. Getting 7 or 8 decently kitted brothers is the priority. I don't play on expert but I think veteran scales in a very similar (albeit less punishing) fashion.