Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just do my prints at Costco. They offer printer profiles for all their locations and the charge per print is almost at-cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I kind of want to get into printing my digital photos. What would you guys recommend for an inkjet given the following:

I want to follow the mantra of “buy once cry once” but within reason, this will always be a side hobby and the photos aren’t being hung in a gallery.

I’d like to print 8x10 or larger if the need arises

I mostly (recently always) process down to b&w so good b&w is important to me.

I’m just feeling out options right now and I’ll make a decision once the research is done.

Why not just print from a lab that has a $$$$ printer? Ink jet etc don't match up again the pro dye sublimation printers.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Does an Godox AD200 give out more light at lower power settings than a speedlight? I currently use a YN600EX-RT II looking for more light from a single flash at around 1/5000 flash speed so running the AD200 at 1/16 power.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

quote:

print at a lab

This is something I hadn’t thought of. It doesn’t satisfy my GAS but is probably the smarter move tbh.

I still kind of want my own printing setup but now I’m in no rush to decide.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Does an Godox AD200 give out more light at lower power settings than a speedlight? I currently use a YN600EX-RT II looking for more light from a single flash at around 1/5000 flash speed so running the AD200 at 1/16 power.

[lights the Forums Poster Dakana signal]

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
An AD200 is about three times more powerful than the Godox on-camera speedlights in terms of output.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

kefkafloyd posted:

An AD200 is about three times more powerful than the Godox on-camera speedlights in terms of output.

Yeah, most reviews put the AD200 at 2 stops brighter than Godox's V860II, one of their top-tier hotshoe flashes. I'd assume that'd mean 1/16 on the AD200 would be equal to 1/4 on the V860II. I can test it tonight if you're really curious.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Ended up with a neat gear haul due to an old friend of mine:

Someone my friend Nate knew asked if he wanted some camera gear. Apparently the person asking had a father who was a wedding photographer who passed away some time ago. Nate had no interest in the camera stuff but really wanted the cases (and they were nice cases). So he took everything and tried to offload all the gear to no avail... not even on Freecycle. Admittedly he lives in Bumfuck, Iowa so I'm not terribly surprised. And he knows nothing about cameras which is probably why he didn't try something like eBay or KEH.

So Nate was talking with our friend Justin and Justin brought up that I was into photography and had been doing some stuff with film. Nate got in contact with me to see if I was interested. He sent me some of the not best of quality pics of everything... but when he explained the story and with the fact that I was able to spot some items out of his pics I was like "Sure, I'll take them." Was going to have him mail me the stuff but things got in the way. Thankfully Justin was taking a trip up there to visit some family so he ended up grabbing the gear for me. In the pics he sent initially I could tell there were a couple of Nikon bodies along with a bunch of lenses and one Bronica body so I figured doing this would be worthwhile as long as some stuff was still in good working condition.

When Justin brought the items back here and I started going through it... HOLY gently caress I did not expect all of this. Ended up with five Nikon FM2 bodies (one marked as "don't work" which is why it's not in the pic) each with the 50mm f/1.8 lens and grips for each of them. The fact that I got three Bronica ETRS cameras blew my loving mind though. There was even an completely unopened pack of Polaroid Polapan 667 film in here since the photographer had one of the Bronica backs. I'm really curious in the story of who this photographer was because to have all of this is kinda nuts.

The fun part is going to be testing all of these. The Nikon's should be easy enough to test. I'm just not sure what I should keep in mind when testing the Bronicas though since I'm only slightly familiar with them. So if anyone has some suggestions on that I'd appreciate it.

I'll certainly keep one of each for me and then sell the rest. And most likely take some of the proceeds to fling Nate's way for this.

I guess I rolled some good RNG here.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

dakana posted:

Yeah, most reviews put the AD200 at 2 stops brighter than Godox's V860II, one of their top-tier hotshoe flashes. I'd assume that'd mean 1/16 on the AD200 would be equal to 1/4 on the V860II. I can test it tonight if you're really curious.

Thanks my plan is to do something similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HhkP187F_s

with the flash angled down in a softbox for live insect macro. I need a lot of light at fast flash speed with macro at small apertures bellows factor and all that.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
In other news this exists...

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Witstro_EC200_Extension_Head.html

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Of course the AD200 Pro comes out in 4 weeks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

“What is diffraction?” :shepface:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you read about depth of field but don't really understand what you just got taught.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
That guy’s gonna flip his poo poo when he finds out about pinhole cameras.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Spent a week doing a lot of hiking, and had the camera out. My eye cup was consistently brushing against my side/hip and inevitably is now loose. This is my second I'm going to have to replace in about a year and a half. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to look into low profile replacements, but that makes them less useful, too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Assuming you’re hiking w/ a shoulder strap, can you carry the camera flipped so the lens points toward your body, rear facing out? This is what I do when I’m walking but not actively looking for a photo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you sling it over your shoulder so the hot shoe is against your hip it'll rest pretty comfortably next to you with the lens pointing downwards due to the strap mounts being on the top of the body.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have the strap anchored on the body and the grip, so the camera hangs with my hand resting on the right side of the camera, lens poining away from hip. So only option is that or lens poi ting into body, which doesnt work.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

torgeaux posted:

I have the strap anchored on the body and the grip, so the camera hangs with my hand resting on the right side of the camera, lens poining away from hip. So only option is that or lens poi ting into body, which doesnt work.

Do you wear a backpack/hydration pack when you hike? Have you considered a capture clip that mounts onto your pack strap or belt?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tribbledirigible posted:

Do you wear a backpack/hydration pack when you hike? Have you considered a capture clip that mounts onto your pack strap or belt?

No. if im serious hiking, camera is in bag/backpack. if with my 12 year old, just camera, wife carries water. we did lots of short hikes in Moab area, and so hours of camera bumping.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Get something like a BlackRapid strap or whichever of the Peak Design Slings fits the size of your camera. They attach at one end to a plate on the bottom and at the other to one of the normal strap lugs, so your camera naturally points lens downwards. The plate (at least for PD straps) is Arca-Swiss compatible so you don't have to keep removing it to use a tripod either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

Get something like a BlackRapid strap or whichever of the Peak Design Slings fits the size of your camera. They attach at one end to a plate on the bottom and at the other to one of the normal strap lugs, so your camera naturally points lens downwards. The plate (at least for PD straps) is Arca-Swiss compatible so you don't have to keep removing it to use a tripod either.

I'm afraid that may be the answer, but I've done it before and hate how the camera is to use in that config. But, that or keep ripping on the eye cup. I think I'll do that next time I'm walking with the camera out all day.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Spent a week doing a lot of hiking, and had the camera out. My eye cup was consistently brushing against my side/hip and inevitably is now loose. This is my second I'm going to have to replace in about a year and a half. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to look into low profile replacements, but that makes them less useful, too.

I had been knocking them loose on a monthly basis for a while, and the cheap replacements for the 80D aren't as well made as the legit Canons. I seem to have solved the problem by placing a small piece of gaff tape on the camera body where the eye cup slides in so that it is a much tighter fit and it has yet to come loose.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's photography. Gaff tape is the answer. Always

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I got the Z6. :)

It fit my criteria (full-frame mirrorless, no video crop, in-camera stabilization a huge bonus) and it was significantly less expensive than similar offerings from other manufacturers. Also it feels great in my tiny hands. Grabbed the 24-70mm 4/4.0S lens as well as a 50mm prime f/1.8S. I'm gonna take it out to a drum & bass show tonight and get some pointers from my de facto mentor in photographing the scene. But for now, here's one of the first shots I took with it; I went to the park and ran into a friend and her dog, Mouse. Straight off the camera.

Thanks everyone for all of your help picking this camera out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm headed to Iceland in two weeks and I'm trying to figure out if I want to get any new gear. I currently have a Nikon camera with 35mm 1.8f, 50mm 1.8f, 10-20mm 4.5-5.6f, and a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6. I'm thinking of just bringing the 10-20 and splurging on a Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2. Thoughts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From that list I'd do the 10-20 and 70-300.

When I was there I had a 18-55 and 70-200 and got everything I wanted.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If it helps making a choice, I find myself ever needing anything wider than 24mm for landscape. Hell I tend to be between 50-150 more often than not.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you have a crop body the 24-70 isn't terribly wide, you'd probably be better served by a standard 2.8 zoom designed for crop bodies, unless you are looking to switch to full frame.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Some more research and I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for $290 since I have a crop body.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Do any of the current digital medium format cameras have a native 1:1 macro lens (edit: with auto focus)?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 9, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hello. I intend to buy a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K which is $1300, then buy 3 lenses and I am thinking a Prime, a Telephoto, and a Wide Angle and I want to blow $3500 total, not counting rigs or additional equipment.

However the lenses I feel would be good are below which would then put me over budget.

1. PANASONIC LUMIX G LEICA DG NOCTICRON LENS, 42.5MM, F1.2 ASPH. for $1200
2. Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Lens for $800
3. Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO Lens for $1200

I know super little about filming but am a retard with money to blow and have been making effort to learn with my Iphone X and Adobe Premier.

Does anyone have experience or recommendation on lenses or perhaps a suggestion that I may not need a certain lens that could cut it down? My primary purpose would be to film my travels and maybe one day film skits and make a little YouTube channel for personal fun purposes, e.g. I am going on an African Safari in September.

My alternate thought is to go for photography + minimal filming and get a Fuji X-T3, but that too would need lenses and feedback.

If you feel like it, please tear down my hopes and dreams and let me know failure before it has even begun. TIA.

EDIT: I have a thought that maybe I go for the Prime and Telephoto for travels and save a Wide Angle for when I have a channel and do skits or something. Does a wide angle lens make more sense for filming versus having a Prime or Telephoto being more practical for travel/long shots, etc?

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 9, 2019

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The BMPCC has a 3x crop factor I think? The 75mm and 42.5mm are both telephoto lenses in that case. A zoom might be more practical if you are going on a safari.

If you are primarily going to be filming, stabilization (if you aren't using a tripod or gimbal) and autofocus (if you are going to use it) are probably the things to worry about.

I would also recommend starting small and buying used just to get your feet wet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I ordered a cheap manual flash to play around with, are there any good beginner guides out there including physical books? I’m mostly interested in B&W headshots to start with.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Fools Infinite posted:

The BMPCC has a 3x crop factor I think? The 75mm and 42.5mm are both telephoto lenses in that case. A zoom might be more practical if you are going on a safari.

If you are primarily going to be filming, stabilization (if you aren't using a tripod or gimbal) and autofocus (if you are going to use it) are probably the things to worry about.

I would also recommend starting small and buying used just to get your feet wet.

Thank you, if the 42.5mm will help me telephoto then I don't need #2. Appreciate it. Yes, stability is a key concern and I don't have enough experience but am thinking of trying manual focus. Worst come worst I'll buy the one Prime Lens and learn with that.

EDIT: Actually you're not wrong. I should probably just go for the 1 prime lens until I figure out what I'm doing.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 10, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

qirex posted:

I ordered a cheap manual flash to play around with, are there any good beginner guides out there including physical books? I’m mostly interested in B&W headshots to start with.

Ben Long has some flash videos on Lynda that are really great.

—-

Bag chat: does anyone have an opinion on f-stop bags? I’m debating between the Guru UL or the Thule Aspect for an MTB, Hiking, and travel bag.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

qirex posted:

This dude shoots TTL, and doesn't really ever talk about manual settings, but there's a ton of info

Playlist 1

Playlist 2

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

Do any of the current digital medium format cameras have a native 1:1 macro lens (edit: with auto focus)?

The Pentax digital 645 medium formats (the current one is the 645Z, introduced in 2014; previous is the 645D from 2010) have two Pentax-brand macro lenses with autofocus.
HD Pentax D FA 645 90mm f/2.8 MACRO goes to 1:2 according to these reviews and was introduced in 2012.
Pentax FA 645 120mm f/4 MACRO does full 1:1 macro (again, according to the reviews I see) and I don't know when it was first sold. I *think* it's older than the 90mm, based on Pentax's naming conventions: HD-Pentax-D is the newest set, SMC-Pentax-FA dates back to the late 90's for many lenses made for their 35mm AF cameras (some are still in production and work quite well on Pentax's current DSLRs).

Digital medium format AF macro is an expensive combination of words.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

theHUNGERian posted:

Why auto focus? To get 1:1 you're going to be in manual focus, moving the camera to the object anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Why auto focus? To get 1:1 you're going to be in manual focus, moving the camera to the object anyway.

In my (limited) experience, continuous autofocus does a better job of focusing moving subjects (butterflies) than I ever could by hand while looking at a tiny 3" screen. Edit: And for still life, of course I use manual focus.

ExecuDork posted:

The Pentax digital 645 medium formats (the current one is the 645Z, introduced in 2014; previous is the 645D from 2010) have two Pentax-brand macro lenses with autofocus.
HD Pentax D FA 645 90mm f/2.8 MACRO goes to 1:2 according to these reviews and was introduced in 2012.
Pentax FA 645 120mm f/4 MACRO does full 1:1 macro (again, according to the reviews I see) and I don't know when it was first sold. I *think* it's older than the 90mm, based on Pentax's naming conventions: HD-Pentax-D is the newest set, SMC-Pentax-FA dates back to the late 90's for many lenses made for their 35mm AF cameras (some are still in production and work quite well on Pentax's current DSLRs).

Digital medium format AF macro is an expensive combination of words.

Thanks. I had a feeling the answer would be Pentax, the company I am least familiar with.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 10, 2019