Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Aaahhhahahahahahzhahzhahahahahahzhbcbcgfggfgdbzzzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"It'll be unlike anything ever seen before, that's why you don't see any of it in the game yet and it's being made by devs who have no idea how to do it.'

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sandepande posted:

Aaahhhahahahahahzhahzhahahahahahzhbcbcgfggfgdbzzzz.

Is this the cheat code to get the ramp to work?

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

It is bothersome that there is a large enough demographic that not only supports such practices, but spurn consumer rights and a professional media outlet. CIG has weaponized this with terrifying results and have set a standard that other gaming corporation is taking note of, like the common cold they're mutating to stay effective.

Congrats SC fans you're enabling and intensifying bad practices in the video game market.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

That planet looks so lifeless even though it's planet-sized city.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's the Yin and Yarg.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Doug Sisk posted:

Can we unban Derek for a couple of weeks? I want his hints of rumours and an arbitrary deadline for when it all becomes hosed.
Plus it would be funny.

Content locust! Get thee to the July blog!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

They took a barren rock and covered the entire surface with an ecumenopolis in just 20 years, its going to take a while for the population to fill out all that vacant real estate.

Also I don't even own this piece of trash game why do I know this stupid bit of lore someone please kill me now

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

It is bothersome that there is a large enough demographic that not only supports such practices, but spurn consumer rights and a professional media outlet. CIG has weaponized this with terrifying results and have set a standard that other gaming corporation is taking note of, like the common cold they're mutating to stay effective.

Congrats SC fans you're enabling and intensifying bad practices in the video game market.

I don't usually comment on broader industry trends, mostly because I'm old enough to have seen this cycle play out before (we're on what, the fourth or fifth iteration now?), but what you're saying here is not only spot on, but it pisses me off further because one of the core conceits Star Citizen was built on was that it wouldn't do any of this poo poo. It turns out that CIG is not only ten times worse then the next worse publisher, but they're breaking ground on borderline consumer fraud and paving the way for publishers to follow suit.

It's one of the reasons I'm hoping it crashes and burns in a spectacular way - I want what they're doing to be a warning sign for the rest of the industry, not a loving instruction manual.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

How many decades of coding and hardware advancements will this take to come to fruition? Asking for my great grandchildren.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

They took a barren rock and covered the entire surface with an ecumenopolis in just 20 years

loving how

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asmodai_00 posted:

loving how

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

new thread title is :discourse:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

monkeytek posted:

How many decades of coding and hardware advancements will this take to come to fruition? Asking for my great grandchildren.

Even in 20 years I doubt we'll get to the point where we can implement "the dream." And that's assuming we continue to have consistent improvements in CPU performance (a Moore's law lite if you will); which is not a given at this point.

It's fascinating how digital marketing can lead people to completely lose connecting with reality. Maybe we as humans are not all that suited to the outcomes of internet age developments.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Dwesa posted:

For supposed glamor shots it's not really selling anyone anything, except the sort of thing you might see in the background of a United Airlines brochure. Great, you're flying over a landscape, over what appears to be the heavily monocultured and tilled wild lands of Nebraska.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

skeletors_condom posted:

Even in 20 years I doubt we'll get to the point where we can implement "the dream." And that's assuming we continue to have consistent improvements in CPU performance (a Moore's law lite if you will); which is not a given at this point.

It's fascinating how digital marketing can lead people to completely lose connecting with reality. Maybe we as humans are not all that suited to the outcomes of internet age developments.

Fun fact: CR was the first person to actually think of AI

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

And that's assuming we continue to have consistent improvements in CPU performance (a Moore's law lite if you will); which is not a given at this point.

Moore's Law or not, CIG is subject to Roberts's Law, which is "Regardless of the rate and significance of technological improvement, Chris will still not be able to make a game."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

Moore's Law or not, CIG is subject to Roberts's Law, which is "Regardless of the rate and significance of technological improvement, Chris will still not be able to make a game."

Corollary to Robert's Law: That game that he won't make will be the BEST GAME EVER MADE with all the things from all games ever, but BETTER.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Asmodai_00 posted:

loving how
I'm guessing they used same method the devs used. Copy, paste, copy, paste, copy, paste...

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

When Star Citizen development started, Dubstep was all the rage and Synthwave was still weird hipster internet nerd stuff

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Space Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWJCztW5hQw

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

monkeytek posted:

The funny thing (well, funny to me) is that what he's saying is gibberish to such a large degree that it may as well be magic. I got as far as "this has never been done before that's why it's janky!" before I just started laughing until I couldn't breathe. It betrays such a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to be an "AI" that you may as well ask at what time we'll harness the phlogiston so we can tap the universal ether to make space travel a reality.

Like, he goes on and on about how the surface is uneven and that's why pathing is broken, as opposed to there being no purpose to any of the NPCs who wander around on a map that has the wrong scale, and who has no programming to even sort of define any intentional motion. Yes, it's just early days when you can pump a clip into an NPC and nothing happens, this revolutionary AI that is so advanced that it simulates panic paralysis when shot at (or if someone looks at them, or if the lights turn on, or if the server restarts after crashing) -- as opposed to the more obvious answer that none of the people to whom these morons have pinned their hopes know what the NPCs are supposed to do and how to make them do what they're to do.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

loving click-baiters, man! :argh::argh::argh::argh:

(Screenshot taken from professional Scamerino DaGaimez's video list)

The media is OUT TO GET US. The only way to slow them down is to smash that like button
Subscribe to me on x-hamster

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

loving hell, if someone in the 1980s was geeking out over space, it was because it was possible to fly to the moon and it was only a matter of time until we'd set foot on Mars. These days the science fiction is about a janky CryEngine spaceship mod, and Elon Musk's personal Kessler syndrome amplifiers. The gently caress did the future go.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

All AI items being pushed back and out of 3.6 is a sure fire sign that all is well with SQ42 revolutionary AI. No doubt the best soldiers of the simulated battlefield.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"It'll be unlike anything ever seen before, that's why you don't see any of it in the game yet and it's being made by devs who have no idea how to do it.'

Also: "It has been 8 years since the Kickstarter, and nearly a quarter-billion dollars spent, and what actually exists is not even a placeholder for the wonders to come."

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

MedicineHut posted:

All AI items being pushed back and out of 3.6 is a sure fire sign that all is well with SQ42 revolutionary AI. No doubt the best soldiers of the simulated battlefield.

Here's one of my favorite sceens from the SC roadmap

Some caveats:

Is this kinda manipulative to frame it like that? Yes
Is there maybe a big difference in the complexity of those tasks? Yes
Is it a bit hypocritical to mock the game as a screenshot generator while sharing a screenshot in a dead gay comedy forum? Absolutely.

I don't care.

Behold:

Moving your camera to take pretty Cry-Engine screenshots > Renting Ships in game.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MedicineHut posted:

I'm not sorry for my lovely meme

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Lord Stimperor posted:

loving hell, if someone in the 1980s was geeking out over space, it was because it was possible to fly to the moon and it was only a matter of time until we'd set foot on Mars. These days the science fiction is about a janky CryEngine spaceship mod, and Elon Musk's personal Kessler syndrome amplifiers. The gently caress did the future go.

I was talking about this with someone recently. How if you take, for example, Back to the Future, where he went from 1985 to 1955, it was pure culture shock. But if you took someone from 1985 and put them in 2015 (going the other way) aside from the aesthetic design of cars, and the fact that computers are a bit more ubiquitous and graphically improved, all of the poo poo we projected we'd have just aren't here. "Yeah kinda looks like the time I left, but there are flat screens everywhere, and half the businesses are boarded up. Can I go back to the past now?"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I was talking about this with someone recently. How if you take, for example, Back to the Future, where he went from 1985 to 1955, it was pure culture shock. But if you took someone from 1985 and put them in 2015 (going the other way) aside from the aesthetic design of cars, and the fact that computers are a bit more ubiquitous and graphically improved, all of the poo poo we projected we'd have just aren't here. "Yeah kinda looks like the time I left, but there are flat screens everywhere, and half the businesses are boarded up. Can I go back to the past now?"

So what you're saying is our present is basically Biff's 2015 from BttF2, but without the holograms or dehydrated pizzza

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So what you're saying is our present is basically Biff's 2015 from BttF2, but without the holograms or dehydrated pizzza

Now that you mention it, the similarities are striking.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Scruffpuff posted:

I have been listening to basically the entirety of Stephen King's works on audiobook recently (I have a Storytel subscription, so it's a flat :10bux: per month). All the Stephen King memes about chambray shirts and arc sodium street lights aside, it occurs to me that his view on the world froze during the 1980s. In his novels from the 2010s, only kids ever text, people phone and use land lines, have small talk in shops, write down stuff on note pads, listen to the radio on long drives, have newspaper subscriptions (even if digital sometimes). You know the boomer thread in GBS? It's like that.

What I mean to say is that technology might have been asymptotic since the 1980s. Yeah okay, video resolution has increased, processors became unfathomably more powerful, and so forth. Network protocols have evolved a bit and became faster and more massiv. But a transplant from 1989 might not have much trouble understanding those developments if they were up to date in the 1980s. But the life style? Nah man. No deal.

That's how the 1980s were. You're a minority? Prepare to get beaten up in the dark. You were homosexual? People didn't like you because they thought you were a sex pest. Want to go on a vacation? Visit a bunch of travel agencies after work. Want to buy insurance? No, you can't just punch in your license plate in a computer terminal and get 126 offers all at once, you have to go to an insurance broker who'll give you a bunch of papers and after some written back and forth, you'd have your policy in the mail. You can't just look up information whenever you need it, you have to remember poo poo and write it down and maybe make an effort to walk to the library. Working from home? Oh you must be a novelist. Taking a day off to watch your kids grow up? Piss off. Today my taxes don't need an advisor who works through all my papers, I get an email from the state with a link, I verify that all the information there is correct, and have my taxes done within 10 minutes. Hell, the 1980s had actual sales people in stores. And people that went from door to door selling things, without gaining police attention.

I'm going on 32 now, so I only knew the pre-connected world when it already was on its way out. But 1985 feels just as alien to me as 1955 must have felt to my mom (incidentally, she was also 32 then).

How was that Pratchett quote? Everything that was invented before I was 15 is old school. Everything that was invented before I was 30 is modern. Everything invented after I turn 30 is against nature. I can't imagine there being a generation that doesn't have that.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have been listening to basically the entirety of Stephen King's works on audiobook recently (I have a Storytel subscription, so it's a flat :10bux: per month). All the Stephen King memes about chambray shirts and arc sodium street lights aside, it occurs to me that his view on the world froze during the 1980s. In his novels from the 2010s, only kids ever text, people phone and use land lines, have small talk in shops, write down stuff on note pads, listen to the radio on long drives, have newspaper subscriptions (even if digital sometimes). You know the boomer thread in GBS? It's like that.

What I mean to say is that technology might have been asymptotic since the 1980s. Yeah okay, video resolution has increased, processors became unfathomably more powerful, and so forth. Network protocols have evolved a bit and became faster and more massiv. But a transplant from 1989 might not have much trouble understanding those developments if they were up to date in the 1980s. But the life style? Nah man. No deal.

That's how the 1980s were. You're a minority? Prepare to get beaten up in the dark. You were homosexual? People didn't like you because they thought you were a sex pest. Want to go on a vacation? Visit a bunch of travel agencies after work. Want to buy insurance? No, you can't just punch in your license plate in a computer terminal and get 126 offers all at once, you have to go to an insurance broker who'll give you a bunch of papers and after some written back and forth, you'd have your policy in the mail. You can't just look up information whenever you need it, you have to remember poo poo and write it down and maybe make an effort to walk to the library. Working from home? Oh you must be a novelist. Taking a day off to watch your kids grow up? Piss off. Today my taxes don't need an advisor who works through all my papers, I get an email from the state with a link, I verify that all the information there is correct, and have my taxes done within 10 minutes. Hell, the 1980s had actual sales people in stores. And people that went from door to door selling things, without gaining police attention.

I'm going on 32 now, so I only knew the pre-connected world when it already was on its way out. But 1985 feels just as alien to me as 1955 must have felt to my mom (incidentally, she was also 32 then).

How was that Pratchett quote? Everything that was invented before I was 15 is old school. Everything that was invented before I was 30 is modern. Everything invented after I turn 30 is against nature. I can't imagine there being a generation that doesn't have that.

You touch on something here that I've talked about before, and am sort of curious about - speed of acclimation. I would say that a kid in the 80s transplanted today might take a small amount of time to get used to some of the things you mention, but many of them wouldn't exactly be a leap. Oh you guys talk instantly face to face now with gadgets? You mean like the Jetsons? Got it. Oh, all the information is on computers now? Yeah I saw that on Star Trek. They had analogues that I believe would allow them to get up to speed relatively quickly.

(In my example above I was only really talking about first impressions, the "arrival in Hill Valley scene," not the deeper immersion in the culture.)

I wonder if a kid today, say late teens, could as easily acclimate in the other direction. All the things you mentioned, like libraries, filling out manual paperwork, or even things like a phone book - how long would it take them to figure out the relevant tech and limitations? Stuck on the side of the road? Get ready to walk, if you're lucky you'll get a ride, if the gods are on your side a cop will drive by.

Maybe it's always easier to acclimate forward than backward. We have a tendency to project where things might go, whereas the only people who can reminisce about the past are people who already lived it. We have real-life examples of people waking up from comas, and they get up to speed remarkably quickly. No real way to know what would happen if all the modern tech disappeared, my concern would be we'd suddenly have a bunch of people 35+ who would automatically switch into the day-to-day equivalent of "filling out manual receipts," and everyone younger would be dead weight for a while until they caught up.

Or maybe I'm wrong about that, and people have a built-in instinct that kicks in when modern conveniences are absent. Your car stops on the side of the road in a world with no cell phones, I doubt they'll just say "Well I guess I die in this car now."

I'm on the border now between "older" and "ok that's enough aging now" and the biggest misconception I see about my views on technology is that if something is new, and I don't embrace it, it's because it's new and I'm old. The reality is much closer to this: the tech is new, but the idea is old, and the people using it aren't old enough yet to know how it went the first time. There are some things I see now that are heralded as a revolution in such-and-such and my first thought is, "oh no, not this poo poo again." Yeah it's happening in a hand-held device with a touch screen, but it's not new, went badly before, and look, here are some news articles a year later showing that it's going bad in the exact way I figured it would.

That said, I'm not gonna pull a Stephen King and "tap out" in the decade I liked most. I'm riding this horse until I die. I'll be the 90 year old guy using the newest poo poo whether I like it or not, because life is a roller coaster, and you don't stand up while it's in motion.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Scruffpuff posted:

You touch on something here that I've talked about before, and am sort of curious about - speed of acclimation. I would say that a kid in the 80s transplanted today might take a small amount of time to get used to some of the things you mention, but many of them wouldn't exactly be a leap. Oh you guys talk instantly face to face now with gadgets? You mean like the Jetsons? Got it. Oh, all the information is on computers now? Yeah I saw that on Star Trek. They had analogues that I believe would allow them to get up to speed relatively quickly.

(In my example above I was only really talking about first impressions, the "arrival in Hill Valley scene," not the deeper immersion in the culture.)

I wonder if a kid today, say late teens, could as easily acclimate in the other direction. All the things you mentioned, like libraries, filling out manual paperwork, or even things like a phone book - how long would it take them to figure out the relevant tech and limitations? Stuck on the side of the road? Get ready to walk, if you're lucky you'll get a ride, if the gods are on your side a cop will drive by.

Maybe it's always easier to acclimate forward than backward. We have a tendency to project where things might go, whereas the only people who can reminisce about the past are people who already lived it. We have real-life examples of people waking up from comas, and they get up to speed remarkably quickly. No real way to know what would happen if all the modern tech disappeared, my concern would be we'd suddenly have a bunch of people 35+ who would automatically switch into the day-to-day equivalent of "filling out manual receipts," and everyone younger would be dead weight for a while until they caught up.

I think you've written a couple of posts on this in the past. Or maybe we both have and I'm getting forgetful :wheelchair:

But there's a thought that's recurring in my head. What would your job have looked like 30 years ago? 100 years? 300 years? In Roman times? Suppose you're someone who manages databases or does data analysis for some big corporation. You touch computers and numbers. Thirty years ago your job would have probably been exactly the same. Except maybe you would have less performance, there'd be more printouts, and it would all sound much more techy than now.

In pre-PC times? You're now looking at specialists who figure out how to best transform the content of a ledger or phone book onto punch cards. You don't do fancy analysis by cross-referencing many sources of information, but you try to get as much as possible out of a few bytes you can write on. You discuss with the accountants and analysts what they really need to get in and out of those data. Before writing a program on those cards, you're running a pre-analysis - by hand - to figure out which calculation has the largest chance of actually producing something useful for the company.

A hundred years ago? You're looking at how to effectively organize archives and library catalogues. In Roman times? You figure out which number really has to go on to the clay tablet, you figure out which vendors make the best tablets available. The olds complain that these newer tablets are all much too flimsy and break and won't be future proof. You'll have the odd one who's swearing on using his special stencil that is blessed by the gods and is much sturdier and produces clearer writing, I swear! The boss complains that everything isn't going fast enough, and you try to teach the young ones to first write a draft of all the data down on a sand box before transferring it onto a previous clay tablet. During the monday morning meeting, you and the others brain storm what the volume of data for the next harvest will be, how you can get enough clay to make all those tablets, and how you can keep all that material from going bad while in storage. Heck, the Romans probably also had fanboy fights over who made the best equipment and were making silly jokes about their stencils and what not. [insert Roman graffiti here]

If someone from the '50s could do fine in a modern office, so would a Roman clerk. That's the flip side of a world where everything changes and all stays the same.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 9, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hell, what I really wanna see is a skit where a bunch of Romans are told that their company is using Agile now.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I bet an artisan society is closer to agile than waterfall.... if they through about such things at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks