Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm Ari Shapiro and today I'm going to report on how rural communities are struggling to cope with large-scale natural disasters. At no point in this story will I mention "climate change" (and how that's making these disasters both worse and more frequent) or how the politicians these people voted for are actively loving them over.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
why do all the girls on npr talk like they're that lady from The Grudge where they extend all their words with croaks and stuff

it's annoying, what's the deal with this

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

why do all the girls on npr talk like they're that lady from The Grudge where they extend all their words with croaks and stuff

I think it's called vocal fry and according to a story I heard on NPR once, by criticizing it you're a... *barely-relevant sound effect*... sexist.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't notice it that much anymore, but sometimes it's kinda distracting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgBgpFJYto

Foogs
Nov 26, 2005
*Most whiny obnoxious nasally voice* Eleanor Beardsley NPR News, Paris.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

doctorfrog posted:

I don't notice it that much anymore, but sometimes it's kinda distracting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgBgpFJYto

gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think it's called vocal fry and according to a story I heard on NPR once, by criticizing it you're a... *barely-relevant sound effect*... sexist.

It was on this American life. In some poll that they never really got into, probably of huffington post users, women with upspeak and vocal fry were ranked as sounding authoritative and trustworthy over more traditional sounding female news anchors like Nina totenberg. So disliking vocal fry and upspeak is both misogyny and age-discrimination since it’s a thing of millenialish generations. But ira glass also acknowledged that he does both a lot so :shrug:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It was on this American life. In some poll that they never really got into, probably of huffington post users, women with upspeak and vocal fry were ranked as sounding authoritative and trustworthy over more traditional sounding female news anchors like Nina totenberg. So disliking vocal fry and upspeak is both misogyny and age-discrimination since it’s a thing of millenialish generations. But ira glass also acknowledged that he does both a lot so :shrug:

It's something that has permeated education, and about 1/2 the women at my school speak like that when talking outside the class as well. I'm not going to bring it up with anyone for obvious reasons, but I really, really, want to ask one of the offenders if it's as annoying and exhausting to speak with as it is to have to listen to.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

can't i just say a way of talking is annoying purely because of how it sounds without it being twisted into being something-ist

It is equally annoying when men do it too. Just talk normal.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

That doesn't sound right at all

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got curious and went back looking for it. Here it is: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps/act-two

I guess women on TAL staff disproportionately caught a lot of poo poo for it. So maybe disliking vocal fry isn't misogyny per se, but most of the hate mail and internet commenting is directed at women. And it's another outgrowth of the unfair lens held to women's behavior in our society.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Education desk, Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I'm Susan Stamberg.

Holden MacRoin
Sep 5, 2011

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Aolexander Richmond-Yoshi

Christompher York-Basenji

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

Andgrew Bellingham-Lotto

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

FilthyImp posted:

In the next hour, we examine the human cost of recent banking industry scandals.
Don, an 8 figure earning executive, may face cutbacks to his salary and future earnings. Marta, a Balinese immigrant who is contracted to clean the bank's penthouse, is also probably facing some kind of self-inflicted money woes.

We'll hear how Don plans to fight back, next, on Money Hour.

Spot on. Last week there was a segment on how ignoring asbestos in products could hurt Johnson & Johnson's company image and stock price.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:airquote:undocumented:airquote: immigrants

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Omg a Scroto op

I will read as soon as I have time

:five:
No doubt^

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Stetfan Limerick-Blake

I feel like I suddenly know how to play polo.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Ollu posted:

Stetfan Limerick-Blake

I feel like I suddenly know how to play polo.

Actually, you're some Irish guest commentator they wheel out for the World Cup.

Unidef.net
Jun 9, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
NPR is like a domestic terrorist organization to politicians that do crazy poo poo like help people. Now, cnn is a loving INTERNATIONAL TERRORIST ORGANIZATION THAT KNOWS EXTREMISTS

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Vann Abruzzo-Claude

I’m not sure what sort of show that qualifies me to host.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Kai Ryssdal is on assignment. I'm Molly Wood.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven’t said how much I hate Sam sanders try hard “hip” cool guy hour long show “it’s been a minute” for a while.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Burt Sexual posted:

I haven’t said how much I hate Sam sanders try hard “hip” cool guy hour long show “it’s been a minute” for a while.
I tried to like it. "Let's have cute, stagey, noncommitally left conversations about Twitter things and pop music," is how I remember it.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Phillibp Cosmo Belmonte-Mezzagno.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

The twittosphere is currently buzzing *bee sounds* with the NPR name generator *electronic beeps and boops* but is it possible this seemingly harmless game is... *overlong pause* racist?

I'm just mad because I don't know where my mom's family was in the 1850s, and my high school girlfriend didn't have a dog

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

I'm gay for Lipton Brisk Iced Tea
"For NPR News in Washington, I'm Jack Speeeer."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Today on Fresh AIr, the radical new Environment Tax that is sweeping congress. Could we one day tax people for having children?
*clip* Well, naturally there would be a means test of some sort... I imagine if, say, the family had less than $1 million in savings, the impact of their children would be substantial

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I genuinely like Ask Me Another tho

Same. It's the npr show making fun of the past week of npr.

I'll take a vocal fries with that.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For the next 6 months on planet money, we do weekday it takes to find out the real cost of oil. That's right, we buy it from a driller, transport it, refine it, and then sell it in the market. Stay tuned to discover how to manage your personal finances and how oil can help you!

*starving npr employee who got a 4.0 in the one econ class thry took*

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
*whispers*
I'm Roman Mars and thisss
*Yells*
WHAT? THIS ISN'T NPR? WHY THE gently caress HAVE I BEEN WHISPERING ALL THIS TIME?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

For the next 6 months on planet money, we do weekday it takes to find out the real cost of oil. That's right, we buy it from a driller, transport it, refine it, and then sell it in the market. Stay tuned to discover how to manage your personal finances and how oil can help you!

*starving npr employee who got a 4.0 in the one econ class thry took*

I enjoyed those episodes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
*does an acoustic set of bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb iran but with wispy womyn vocal fry and ukuleles*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is NPR and we've been here since 1 am. Please help.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

gently caress your news, heres a histrionic hour-long book review by a wine mom who only reads grocery store mystery novels

Sick burn on I Don't Even Own a Television.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Your NPR Name

optional
3. Hypen

Rycan Naples-Anne

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

its 3 am, welcome to colorado public radios "the jazz hour". i'm the only jazz fan in all of colorado, sleepy gary. tonight i plan on providing soothing commentary about jazz as well as using my narcoleptic voice to murder more long-haul truckers than sirens did sailors half a millenium ago.

join me next week where i go to the house at pueblo where miles davis once took a poo poo in while he was waiting for his tour bus to take him literally anywhere else but pueblo

I think about this post almost every day

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

*does an acoustic set of bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb iran but with wispy womyn vocal fry and ukuleles*

I've been looking for a term for that voice, and now I have it. Thank you!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m the guy that picks music tracks between news segments. I try to mix it up a little bit. When they ran a show about Alzheimer’s, I followed up with Forgot About Dre. When they did one on narcolepsy, I ran Rage’s Wake Up. I’m sure the 60-year-old architect really appreciates it on his drive.