Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
All the slightly aggressive looks of an st car, none of the power. You can find an actual Fiesta st for that price with <40k miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chevy did SS appearance packages for the Cobalt and just why?

This is why the rest of the world hates America.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean at least the lack of ST badging is good but i mean really, i bought my babby rocket new and maybe paid 19-20k why spend 17+ on something thats not really that show and definitely no go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
having sport appearance packages is not unique to american oems

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah they ripped off audi's S-Line lmao

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
this reminds me that the one single thing that would made me have kept my fist for longer would have been being able to delete the loving radio display and replace that whole section with a curved piece of bare plastic

also, gently caress the ford chimes on startup, holy poo poo it is dumpster tier

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah they ripped off audi's S-Line lmao

Didn't BMW have a M sort of thing like that?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

sunroof newb expand your ingress/egress horizons
Nice center of gravity you've got there with that pane of glass in your roof :smug:

Rhyno posted:

Didn't BMW have a M sort of thing like that?
M Sport, but that does include different suspension and offers upgraded brakes as an option, so that's more like a warrantied version of a basic set of mods one might do to a base model.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i think you mean 6th door buddy

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The gtx2554 is an awkward sob to remove from my FiST, but after a lot of swearing got it out and installed some locking washers in the down pipe adapter and heat wrapped the manifold.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Chevy did SS appearance packages for the Cobalt and just why?

This is why the rest of the world hates America.

It came with the better suspension even if the ecotech was naturally aspired. Also you could still buy SS chevys in 1973 with less HP then the appearance package Cobalt.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

wolrah posted:

M Sport, but that does include different suspension and offers upgraded brakes as an option, so that's more like a warrantied version of a basic set of mods one might do to a base model.

The ST line Focus has different suspension to the base too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

The gtx2554 is an awkward sob to remove from my FiST, but after a lot of swearing got it out and installed some locking washers in the down pipe adapter and heat wrapped the manifold.

Did you have problems with the bolts loosening or something? That's not super uncommon on turbo fasteners.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Suburban Dad posted:

Did you have problems with the bolts loosening or something? That's not super uncommon on turbo fasteners.

The kit I have has some flaws that I am addressing while it's out - replacing hard coolant lines (so difficult to install/remove) with braided steel lines, removing the intake adapter and replacing it with a longer 3" to 3" silicone elbow, and fixing the exhaust leaks/false knock the loosening bolts causes.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I know this is kind of a broad question, but GTI owners - what has your experience been in terms of reliability and repairs?

My next car needs to be 4 door and the hot hatch options are pretty limited :smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

I know this is kind of a broad question, but GTI owners - what has your experience been in terms of reliability and repairs?

My next car needs to be 4 door and the hot hatch options are pretty limited :smith:

22k miles on my 2017. The most major issue I have had is that my fuel door wasn't opening easily in the cold. It's a common problem that 30 seconds with a box cutter fixed. Otherwise just a couple oil changes.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
For the MK7 (US 2015-2018) models, the main issue that pops up is the water pump failing. And the sunroof cracking/leaking.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

22k on my 17 and no issues to report except one key fob is dead. I think the car wash place got it wet though, it worked fine before I went there.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
*whispers*

a used Fiesta ST is a four door

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

2016 GTI with 40k miles.

Replaced the windshield (loving rocks) and O2 sensor.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
49k on a 16 base model bought it with 9k in December 17. Put ~115 miles a work day on it for 6 months. Other than the coolant reservoir being bone dry for seemingly no reason one morning, itsonly needed oil changes and the coolant topped up that one time. I *guess* it likes to eat tires, but I don't think its that bad compared to M3s I've owned.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Monkey Fracas posted:

*whispers*

a used Fiesta ST is a four door

I'm looking at the Fords too. I actually prefer them to the GTI. I just feel a little hesitant to go that route now that they're out of production, but maybe I'm being dumb. There should be plenty of parts out there for repairs, no?

Thanks for all the GTI responses so far!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I'm looking at the Fords too. I actually prefer them to the GTI. I just feel a little hesitant to go that route now that they're out of production, but maybe I'm being dumb. There should be plenty of parts out there for repairs, no?

It's still really recent so I wouldn't imagine you'd have any issues getting parts or w/e

Can't speak to the Fiesta ST specifically (only thing I've heard about is the weird A/C blend door issues on certain cars but it's apparently not too bad to replace if it happens) but the '14 Focus ST I've had from 25k-50k over the last few years has been fun, relatively practical and problem-free for me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The FiST is significantly cheaper quality wise all around compared to a GTI. Mine was reliable for the 35k I put on it, including towing of a trailer for a few thousand miles.

Also, Civic Si exists in sedan form and is cheaper than a new GTI.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, as someone who loves his FiST, it is still just a Fiesta at its core. That's good and bad. It's cheap to own, cheap to run, cheap to repair, but also cheaply built.

A GTI is a true jack-of-all-trades where the Fords are definitely slanted in the "because racecar" direction.

Both are great, it depends on what you're looking for though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeh even the Focus looks out of date on the inside and the Fiesta looks like the cheap subcompact it is at its core as well

Be wary of the Recaro seats on those two too- they're tight for some folks

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

'16 GTI bought new Feb 16
I've had the water pump thing already, fixed under warranty.
Stock battery failed with a bad cell at ~2 years, new-ish Duralast battery failed in the same fashion over this past weekend.

I feel like I should be worried but we're talking normal crank in the morning, next crank at midday is sluggish, next crank everything flickers on and off and car barely starts, following crank it won't start. Conveniently Duralast means Autozone so the warranty is pretty solidly established, but it took a charge successfully Sunday morning and was dead again before sundown.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Ehud posted:

My advice would be to test drive a veloster n*, à fiesta st, à focus st, and à gti.

Out of them all I feel like the focus st is most piggish, but that is only comparitively. It's faster than a fiesta in a straight line, but corners aren't anywhere near as lively feeling. They are all pretty drat nice and fun to drive. The focus and the Fiesta feel cheap as gently caress on the inside, but you don't generally care if you are in the driver's seat. The Fiesta also has a terrible sound system if you care about that.

Of them, I'd wager an unmodified Fiesta st is the most reliable (outside of the blend door), as well.

* the Veloster is a weird three door hatch.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ehud posted:

All the rumors are true.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
seconding the terrible sound system in the fiesta, that was the first thing i did to the car is just gut all the crap speakers and put a sub in it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ehud posted:

there is plenty of parts support for the FoST and FiST. Repair costs are likely to be lower.

I like my FoST. It's not as nice inside as a GTI or as cleverly packaged, but it's quite cheap and very good to drive. When I bought it (2013), it handled significantly better than the Mk 6 GTI.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Oddhair posted:

'16 GTI bought new Feb 16
I've had the water pump thing already, fixed under warranty.
Stock battery failed with a bad cell at ~2 years, new-ish Duralast battery failed in the same fashion over this past weekend.

I feel like I should be worried but we're talking normal crank in the morning, next crank at midday is sluggish, next crank everything flickers on and off and car barely starts, following crank it won't start. Conveniently Duralast means Autozone so the warranty is pretty solidly established, but it took a charge successfully Sunday morning and was dead again before sundown.

I'd be looking to see if you have a battery drain somewhere. Use a voltmeter (ammeter really) and start pulling fuses.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or if you live in a very hot climate heat seems to kick batteries asses

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah, I was back in here to ask about this. I mean I have a subwoofer but it and the line level converter are switched on by audio flowing through one of the pairs of speaker wires (not the other, though hooking up only one yields half the amplitude.) Nothing about a constant low-ish power draw says bad cell to me, especially not two batteries in a row, though I recall the BMW battery debacle a few years back. The sub is too goddamn loud to listen to constantly and I have a knob to dial it back all the way, too, so it's not on full tilt all the time. New battery also fills the slot the old battery had lots of space in, so should be more capable of tolerating the load. Again, Saturday morning crank was fine by my recollection, second or third crank it was sluggish and I immediately thought of the previous battery, a couple later and it would blink like the terminal was not making a good connection but I cleaned terminals with the brush that lives in my door pocket and it was the same. It wasn't like the battery was low, it was like the battery was fine until you asked it for significant current then "done, son."

I'm leaning towards acid stratification myself, not sure how to really confirm or address that if I'm right.

I'm pretty sure just tapping the loose leads with my meter will blow the 10A fuse, going to try loosening with meter in place and then removing lead to make it the only path for current.

Edit: of course I thought "before I check current draw I should check voltage" but the leads were already in current mode and now I have no ammeter. Dammit.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 18, 2019

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I’ve got a bug up my rear end to trade my ND Miata in on a Veloster N. I’ve yet to find a bad review online but unfortunately the nearest dealer that has one is 120 miles away so I haven’t actually even seen one in real life yet. Anyone here in the thread driven one? If so, what did you think?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
It's utterly loving fantastic, it lives up to the hype, it is lively as all hell and I want one really, really bad but it's too conspicuous for my area, I'd get speeding tickets for two over and they'd stick.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ehud posted:

A little late, but my '17 GTI (bought around Christmas 2017) with about 18K has only had an oil change. The high note horn is toast, but I was forced to drive through some non-trivially-deep water a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that's what ate it. Aside from that, just suffering from slight black-car-owner pains when it's dirty.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I've owned my '16 GTI 2 years now. Love it to death, but I am worried about issues once I get out of CPO warranty in 2 years. I've had to replace my passenger seat frame and the transmission shifter assy so far (both under warranty). My goal is to pay off the car next year. I will definitely have a decision to make once paid off and out of warranty. I have new car mental sickness, but every time I drive the GTI I remember how much I love it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The only thing I’d probably trade my GTI for is a Miata since we have an SUV for practicality. But it also snows here and I’m not subjecting a Miata to poo poo roads and snow unless I have a winter beater. The bumper would be cracked inside of a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

* the Veloster is a weird three door hatch.

Weird four door hatch.