Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

Mesclun is like mustard greens, butter lettuce, endives, arug, chervil

anyway you don't gotta like it spinach is great too! I just wanted to offer a suggestion of something to try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

As a kid I always thought lettuce was so boring and bad bc my dad thought anything other than iceberg was terrible. I've really enjoyed discovering the world of good salad greens.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Big fan of different varieties of mustard greens over here esp with eggs from the chooks n quackers

Finger Prince

Resting Lich Face posted:

I wish I could enjoy lettuce for teh healthys but I just can't.

OMG same. Lettuce is the worst vegetable. I'm fine with plenty of leaves, but lettuce is just a waste of cellulose encased water.

alnilam

Finger Prince

I just made a Big Salad for dinner and it contained:
Cuke
Radish
Avo
Those little Peruvian peppers
Capers
Olives
Bit of black garlic manchego
White onion
Cherry tomatoes
Busted up tostadas
Spring mix leaves

No lettuce required

alnilam

I strongly agree that salads don't require leaves

i also suspect that what you call "spring mix leaves" is more or less what i call a "good lettuce mix"

alnilam

I may be factually wrong bc i am an idjit for sure but i generally consider lettuce as a category of small leafy plants that are eaten raw and aren't herbs

hell even baby spinach is a lettuce of sorts, to me

sorry if I'm dumn

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lettuce is good imo but I get why people don't like it, but they should try Other Leaves

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also what's the deal with eating perique tobacco leaves??? They're on a menu as a thing at one of the local fancy places and I'm like yo I don't eat Angery Spirits, I smoke em, but I also remember my grandma using them to flavor smoked meat???

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My smokes are not called Angery Spirits but I'm calling them that

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

Yeah that info was in my head somewhere but it did not volunteer itself in the moment

Yeah halfway through the post I was like huh wait this is goat he knows this stuff... but decided to post it anyway

Perfect poached salmon and stuffed mushroom? Looks great

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hell yeah. And a greek salad to go with the fish. Surprisingly good pairing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Post the stuffed mushroom ingredients pls

Finger Prince

alnilam posted:

I may be factually wrong bc i am an idjit for sure but i generally consider lettuce as a category of small leafy plants that are eaten raw and aren't herbs

hell even baby spinach is a lettuce of sorts, to me

sorry if I'm dumn

Are ghosts a soup?

alnilam

Lettuce is like, a g-g-ghost, scoob

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

hamjobs posted:

Post the stuffed mushroom ingredients pls

Spinach, minced garlic, feta cheese. Fairly light on the garlic, about 4 oz of spinach or so fills a dozen average mushrooms.

Steam the spinach in a saucepan, let it cool, then squeeze the bejeezus out of it to remove any excess moisture (IMPORTANT AS gently caress), mix with crumbled feta and the garlic, season with salt, cook for 20 minutes at 400F.

Super easy to make. The trick is moisture management.

Would recommend trying different cheeses if you like, there's a lot of things that could work, feta is a safe easy choice. Maybe Gorgonzola for a bit more zip. Adjust salt addition based on how salty the cheese is.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 10, 2019

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

hamjobs posted:

Lettuce is good imo but I get why people don't like it, but they should try Other Leaves

Lettuce Tiers (for salads):

good tier: arugula, fresh spinach
perfectly fine tier: romaine
"it is lettuce" :effort: tier: iceberg, boston, leaf, bibb
"no one actually likes this, they just pretend to" tier: kale

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

joke_explainer posted:

:captainpop:
Looks awesome! I got to do that someday.

I made buffalo wings for the first time the other day.

I did the sous vide a bag of them and let it dry, then just fry them for three minutes, using my deep fryer so it was surprisingly low stress.

They were completely perfect. Tasted better than the best wings I’ve had at any wing joint imo.

Hash I made a few weeks ago:

I made wings for the first time recently as well! Used this recipe and they turned out brilliantly.
The double-baking method gets you actually-crispy wings without having to deep-fry.

Manifisto

Entropic posted:

Lettuce Tiers (for salads):

good tier: arugula, fresh spinach
perfectly fine tier: romaine
"it is lettuce" :effort: tier: iceberg, boston, leaf, bibb
"no one actually likes this, they just pretend to" tier: kale

I :love: spinch but honestly the wilting thing is very key. truly fresh spinch has a texture that's slightly offputting, using the babies counters that (as always) but even a slight wilting is always good imo

all peppery leaves, arugula, radicchio, dandelion, mustard, whatever are excellent for flavor and I always say, put 'em in.

however . . .

there is a certain component (for me) of salad that is extremely texture driven. like the crisp watery crunch of romaine, "red leaf," even iceberg is key when you've got good other flavors going on in the dressing and other ingredients. it's refreshing, and taking your meal as a whole if you've got other things that are very spicy and flavorful sometimes you want something that is more on the bland/refreshing side to complement.

also sorry the wilting thing does the same magic for kale, warm kale salads can be great

poverty goat

Biscuits and gravy :black101:

poverty goat

For when your schedule is clear to take a nap right after breakfast

Resting Lich Face

Mmm, delicious. Biscuits and gravy; the poster dish of "looks can be deceiving".

Resting Lich Face

Omnomnom shrimp guuud.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

Biscuits and gravy :black101:

Is that chorizo or sagey sausage?

Resting Lich Face

Chorizo is usually much redder so I assume the latter.

poverty goat

hamjobs posted:

Is that chorizo or sagey sausage?

Sausage but I go toasted cumin and smoked paprika with anaheim/poblano peppers and onions and some white wine to deglaze

Resting Lich Face

Would you guys be interested if i went more effortpost-y with the cooking posts and did step by step or nah?

alnilam

read the title :prepop:

Resting Lich Face

alnilam posted:

read the title :prepop:

pls donate to my gofundme for adult remedial literacy classes

the unabonger

Manifisto posted:

there is a certain component (for me) of salad that is extremely texture driven. like the crisp watery crunch of romaine, "red leaf," even iceberg is key when you've got good other flavors going on in the dressing and other ingredients. it's refreshing, and taking your meal as a whole if you've got other things that are very spicy and flavorful sometimes you want something that is more on the bland/refreshing side to complement.

this. Leaf lettuce makes a great space filler that provides a solid crunch. I provide the flavors in other places generally (sometimes in other lettuces), but I like the crunch leaf lettuces provide.

I also use leaf lettuce in all of my sandwiches

Resting Lich Face

The crunch is the worst. Flavor is either nonexistent or dirtwater...

the unabonger

do you just eat it raw?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

i flunked out posted:

do you just eat it raw?

lookit this guy cookin lettuce :evilbuddy:

Resting Lich Face

i flunked out posted:

do you just eat it raw?

You cook it? :psyduck:

joke_explainer

Arugula tastes delicious

joke_explainer

All lettuce tastes amazing when you cover it with fat and vinegar

Resting Lich Face

I will grant you that arugula has a distinct flavor and doesn't have the awful crunchy texture of lettuce. Still, I'm not really a big fan of its flavor; though I could probably learn for the sake of teh healthys.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

joke_explainer posted:

All lettuce tastes amazing when you cover it with fat and vinegar

This is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Wait, RLF: do you like beets?