Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Again, I'm not. Because I play with the horses on the horse map. The middle is just a meat grinder to quickly get back to camp for a new horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
You guys can stop shouting "I'm right" and not listening to each other any time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stretch Marx posted:

Again, I'm not. Because I play with the horses on the horse map. The middle is just a meat grinder to quickly get back to camp for a new horse.

Exactly, you've not encountered them. Not that I really mind, the horsemen on the outside are just mortar/ballista fodder

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

dogstile posted:

Exactly, you've not encountered them. Not that I really mind, the horsemen on the outside are just mortar/ballista fodder

Exactly. The fort is for people to target practice on fast moving targets.

Personally I'm getting a kick out of the long bow and arming sword combo. No skills. Just snipe horses out from under people or head shot guys as you drive buy. Once you run out of arrows, pull out your sabre and get in there.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

soy posted:

the only good thing about the map is that it's symmetrical, like all loving frontline maps should be

it should be equally challenging from either side unless the game mechanic works where you play 2 rounds on a map and it's assumed one side is attackers (like rush mode in BF)

this should actually be easy in a mode like frontline which doesn't allow back-caps

and yeah, remove firepots, smoke, all ballistas/catapult/mortar and horses from game, it's all trash

also make archers not pointless
Your version of front line sounds pretty boring.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's actually right, except for the last sentence

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Patch owns. New map owns. Horses all day. If you are running into "roving naked firepot men" then either gently caress off, stop being a peasant, and get on a horse and do drive by pokes like god intended or get yourself a toolbox and that kickass hammeraxe and build yourself a ballista.

Edit: or I guess a bow, but they are apparently "pointless"

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

He's actually right, except for the last sentence
^^

Runaktla posted:

Your version of front line sounds pretty boring.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Why won't the devs cater to only MY play style?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Heavy Hand Axe is a blast, so are javelins. Javelin is basically a short spear without the melee capabilities and that's okay with me.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Embrace the essence of the groverfort, never leave the basement, hide in the shadows.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Commoners posted:

You're a coward if you aren't riding your horse into the treefort and fighting the footplebs on the tiny plank walkways from the back of your valiant steed.

The map is pretty sweet for Horse+Halberd shenanigans. There's a lot of choke points that you can bump people off of up top and a lot of choke points on the ground that you can wade into swinging. If the horse dies you got 10 replacements just waiting for you to do it again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Avynte posted:

Embrace the essence of the groverfort, never leave the basement, hide in the shadows.

I'm the post in the wrong thread

Lazarett
Jul 9, 2013
Hm, I like the new map. Sometimes I play whack-the-horse with the billhook, and sometimes I am in the fort never leaving the cap point.

I have never seen the map move beyond the fort though, which maybe means it has some issues.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It's not supposed to. It's a map based around king of the hill.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

It's not supposed to. It's a map based around king of the hill.

I find it kinda fun but it feels like the whole map was originally just the fort and they just rush jobbed the outside when that wasn't working right.

I think it would be better if the "hill" was the whole fort, or if they did away with the horse nonsense and made it so you the center point wasn't also a spawn point (so both sides were always coming over the walls).

For the former I don't mean the cap point is the whole fort but rather the game playing out as the fort being sieged back and forth. Rotate the whole thing 90 degrees so the two current wall spawns are both equidistant from the two main spawns and make them captureable but only the center point affects the tickets.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I don't believe that anyone at Triternion thinks Crossroads is a "good" map. I think that they think that it's a fun (fun=different) map that was ready for release. Key point being that it was ready. They know they have a functioning system in place for voting for the next map, and when people don't want to play it anymore, they won't.

Personally, I think it's a great idea to release maps like this, sure they are half-baked, but they provide a nice change up that keeps things feeling fresh while giving them time to work on other maps. I see it as the type of decision that would only be made by a small indie development team, a larger studio would make their player-base wait for maps that had been tinkered with and perfected to a much higher degree.

I hope they release mod tools soon, because one thing Crossroads has shown me is that even janky half-baked maps can be fun to play.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Hey guys I just caught up on this thread and it really sucks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I didn't know this thread was about your mom

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

siggy2021 posted:

Patch owns. New map owns. Horses all day. If you are running into "roving naked firepot men" then either gently caress off, stop being a peasant, and get on a horse and do drive by pokes like god intended or get yourself a toolbox and that kickass hammeraxe and build yourself a ballista.

Edit: or I guess a bow, but they are apparently "pointless"

So basically do all the boring things. Nice.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Javelins are so loving good. I have to imagine they'll get nerfed considering all the complaining but it's so goddamn satisfying nailing someone in the head with one from like 50 feet away

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wearing armor/taking real weapons/"not being a peasant" with the perk, or taking Fireproof isn't boring yet, and if it is, maybe you need to take a break from the game as dudes wearing armor swinging swords at each other is kind of a core feature of it

also yeah javs are going to definitely eat a nerf

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I play Crossroads just to sit on the spawn ballista and ragdoll any enemy horselord that dares to cross my line of sight. I don't mind that my score is piss, it's cathartic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wonder if that port city map is almost done

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

All you support inclined people should check out a 3-3-2 build with the Heavy Handaxe and 2 Medic Bags. You have one free point to play with, either for a perk (I use Smith on most maps and swap to Fireproof if needed), or heavier leg armor.

The Heavy Handaxe is really really good for a 3 point weapon. It hits like a truck, and has the added benefit of being able to build structures. It will stop being as devastating as it is right now because people will learn how to react to it, but right now it's just destroying people because it's so slow and they parry way too early. The downsides are that it has limited range, and someone who knows what they are doing with a fast weapon is going to eat your lunch, but it is still very satisfying to use. Very good for popping skulls on the outskirts of a scrum.

Be warned though, if you end up really liking it, you're going to get sucked into spending some gold because the cosmetic upgrades for it are spendy. Not Eveningstar expensive, but still pricey.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it honestly feels too cheap, like it should be a 4 pointer easy. Get your kicks in while it's 3 points lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dogstile posted:

I only play sniper/grenade spammer/vehicle jouster/(other fun-hoovering option for 90% of the playerbase in multiplayer), why don't you???

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

it honestly feels too cheap, like it should be a 4 pointer easy. Get your kicks in while it's 3 points lol

You're probably right, but I honestly hope they don't make it more expensive. Being able to fit it into a medic or engineer build without sacrificing armor makes support a much more fun role to fill.

I think it's a really good weapon for people who want to improve their melee skills while not feeling like they aren't contributing to their team, because a lot of the skills you have to learn to get good with the Heavy Handaxe translate directly to a lot of the heavier 2 handers, much more so than the other low point weapons. Learning how to start a side-swing on Monday and have it land in someone's teeth on Friday is a very important thing to learn how to do if you plan on getting good with a lot of the bigger weapons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining, it's a rad weapon, just don't be surprised if it gets a price hike. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Kind of wish you could change the metal color on weapons like you can armor. I know why you can't in real life, introducing the techniques needed to recolor metal armor could affect the structure of the much thinner weapon and its ability to hold an edge and all that, but it would still be cool cuz you know, videogame

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I would hate to compromise the verisimilitude of the game where vikings fight with landsknechts with weapons that are slightly the wrong color

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm starting to warm up to the the new map, but the ladders directly in front of blue spawn are really dumb.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

dogstile posted:

I'm sorry you find these things boring. Maybe you should play a different game?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

siggy2021 posted:

I'm sorry you find these things boring. Maybe you should play a different game?

Nah it's fine the majority of the player base also thinks that the fire/horse bullshit is unfun so I'll stick with them.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
drat silent majority strikes again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stretch Marx posted:

drat silent majority strikes again.

If it was so silent I'm wondering why it's half the chat literally every game I play

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

dogstile posted:

If it was so silent I'm wondering why it's half the chat literally every game I play

You mean the same chat that screams racial and homophobic slurs every two seconds between ez and lawl? Truly the pulse of the fan base.

Not everyone wants only sword fighting in a medieval fighting game. Horses happened. The literal largest contiguous empire was founded on a flat grassland and horses. Get over it.

You people don't want medieval war sim. You want CS:GO with swords.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
You definitely need fireproof every game on the new map. Map owns, though, and so does the heavy axe.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Stretch Marx posted:

You people don't want medieval war sim. You want CS:GO with swords.

For the most part I'm on your side about this with how I don't hate horses or archers and stuff but:

Actually yes, I do want this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

This vibe feels to me as much as "Falchion should be better for 3 points" certainly not helping the look of a broadly appealing weapon for the cost.

Heavy axe could very well be overtuned for 3 points, but 99% of the complaints about it I see in game are... well, the usual. I've seen people claim it thrusts vs armor "As hard as the evening star" after ranting about drags and thrusts :v: (They were of course, just fine with it's slashing damage).

Man, imagine if the Heavy Axe really could kill a fully armored 3/3/x knight with two thrusts. That'd be some poo poo huh?

What few complaints I've seen about it's blunt side revert to "But warhammer is great if you hit them in the head (with the sharp side)!!!" if I bring up that it deals more damage than the Warhammer for why I'd agree with that complaint. :sigh:

cerebral posted:

You're probably right, but I honestly hope they don't make it more expensive. Being able to fit it into a medic or engineer build without sacrificing armor makes support a much more fun role to fill.

I think it's a really good weapon for people who want to improve their melee skills while not feeling like they aren't contributing to their team, because a lot of the skills you have to learn to get good with the Heavy Handaxe translate directly to a lot of the heavier 2 handers, much more so than the other low point weapons. Learning how to start a side-swing on Monday and have it land in someone's teeth on Friday is a very important thing to learn how to do if you plan on getting good with a lot of the bigger weapons.
This is my favorite part about it though, really.

I still find myself spending the extra point to go blacksmith hammer + Arming sword, which still seems to work out a lot better when wildly sustaining walls that are on fire and being stabbed at the same time.

But for as great as the arming sword is, the general consciousness is still ":lol: arming sword is weak idiot" if I joke about how great my arming sword is... Even after I just killed them with it. So a scary looking "And also repairs" axe is just the thing for encouraging carpentry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

You definitely need fireproof every game on the new map. Map owns, though, and so does the heavy axe.

Yeah, fireproof is a must-have on crossroads. Nice thing with it is most players do not expect you to run through fire like it's nothing and it makes firebomb spammers free kills.