Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

QwertySanchez posted:

There's a potentially good joke in here but they ruin it because the writers are dumb or think the audience is dumb.

Bart: I can't believe we have to start another year of school, I never learned anything at that suck-shack!
Homer: Who taught you that language?!
Bart: A kid at school.

Old simpsons would have stopped there. And Marge would probably have said something but yeah.. they had to add in

Homer: So you DID learn something.

which kills the joke dead.

This, and the insurance thing. Instead of gloating and saying "I sure get injured a lot" followed by clips that go too long, he should have just said something along the lines of "pfft, we've had that for years and I've never needed it. Lousy ripoff,".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plan Z posted:

That's always been a thing. They can't produce like $200 for an air conditioner, but Homer will slap down $1100 in cash for Itchy and Scratchy money.

I hate when "is poor" is an important/often referenced trait of main characters in comedies because the writers pretty much never follow through with it. Bob's Burgers is the worst for this. They're constantly referencing how they have no money, can't make rent and their tiny restaurant is perpetually empty, but at the same time they're plunking down money for $300 chef knives, expensive summer camps, high end drones and etc. I don't know why they even make them poor when they never do anything funny with it (which, to be fair, is pretty difficult) and it's a constant source of cognitive dissonance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

its also a cartoon

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best poor family on TV was the original run of Roseanne and Married... w/ Children was a close 2nd. They drove lovely cars, dressed in worn, secondhand clothes, and they had real plots about struggling to pay bills, health care, etc.

Roseanne was also the only house on TV that looked like my house :unsmith:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its funny, in the 90s Al Bundy's life was a nightmare but today you look at him with his large house, his (imo) attractive wife and so on, all on a single salary... I'm jealous tbh.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Was that unrealistic back then though? I know it was a long time ago but could a retail worker afford a two story house in a suburban neighborhood of Chicago in the 90s, and support a family of 4? It showed them being kind of "poor" in that he drove a lovely Dodge but unless early 90s chicago CoL was outrageously low, that's another bobs burgers sort of scenario.

waahhhh katy segal keeps begging me to rail her but i like to watch tv and take a dump waaaahhhhh

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

life is a joke posted:

Was that unrealistic back then though? I know it was a long time ago but could a retail worker afford a two story house in a suburban neighborhood of Chicago in the 90s, and support a family of 4? It showed them being kind of "poor" in that he drove a lovely Dodge but unless early 90s chicago CoL was outrageously low, that's another bobs burgers sort of scenario.

waahhhh katy segal keeps begging me to rail her but i like to watch tv and take a dump waaaahhhhh

Kind of poor.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Katey Sagal was, and remains, a bangin' hottie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Plus he was drinking buds with Jefferson, known cool guy.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

I hate when "is poor" is an important/often referenced trait of main characters in comedies because the writers pretty much never follow through with it. Bob's Burgers is the worst for this. They're constantly referencing how they have no money, can't make rent and their tiny restaurant is perpetually empty, but at the same time they're plunking down money for $300 chef knives, expensive summer camps, high end drones and etc. I don't know why they even make them poor when they never do anything funny with it (which, to be fair, is pretty difficult) and it's a constant source of cognitive dissonance.

My favorites are when the family gets rich but becomes poor again by the end of the episode. Super funny!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

life is a joke posted:

Believe it or not 30 years ago it was totally possible to support a family of 4 on 35K a year, especially if they didn’t own their home.

Source: I was born in the suburbs outside Chicago in the 80’s

I also never understood the Al/Peg sex dynamic until I was in a relationship with a super hot/super horny/super annoying person. Sometimes even your dick gets fed up with their bullshit and you start pulling “ah no Peg I got work in a few days, better not risk it” kinda stuff.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Was there a horny lady on TV before Peg Bundy? I just watched the first episode of the first season and the plot is that peg goes on a horniness diet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unless there’s an “All in the Family” I memory holed Peg was the first horny lady on TV for a long time until like, I dunno, Roz from Frasier or maybe Lisa Kudrow’s character from FRIENDS? I’ve only ever seen like 2-3 episodes of FRIENDS but I watched Lisa in an interview where she talks about always wishing they’d played up her horny spinster lifestyle more, and how she and Matt LeBlanc wrote a script where it turns out Joey and Phoebe has been casual fuckbuddies the whole time because it made sense for their characters and then the episode was like a clip show where they would reshoot all these famous scenes to show Joey and Phoebe were loving in the closet or under the snacks table or something, and the Producers nixed the idea for being too racy.

Roseanne talked a lot about sex in her show but it was a lot of “were married so sex is like a reward” in some episodes, and maybe a plot device about Rosanne or Dan feeling insecure about being fat & old.

Mods please change my name to TV SEX MAN

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The best poor family on TV was the original run of Roseanne and Married... w/ Children was a close 2nd. They drove lovely cars, dressed in worn, secondhand clothes, and they had real plots about struggling to pay bills, health care, etc.

The Connors had a 2nd floor, a garage, and a basement.

Poor my rear end, that's a goddamned palace.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Last Chance posted:

its also a cartoon

God forbid we discuss flaws of cartoons in this thread right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bust Rodd posted:

:same:

In my old age now, I can also say it not only had the most realistic depiction of a house with a family living in it, but everyone else's home was realistic, from Jackie's lovely studio to Becky's trailer. It really is a shame Roseanne couldn't keep her racism in check and had to erase all that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think it’s fair to erase all that. Roseanne in the 90’s one literally the most progressive primetime show we had. It had the first openly gay characters on TV and Jackie coming out was a huge loving deal for gay people because she was main character with lots of screen time.

Roseanne is also where comedy legend Norm Macdonald got his first writing job in comedy.

It’s ok to say “Rosaeanne sucks now and shouldn’t have said racist things on Ambien.” but you can’t really take away her accomplishments as being a huge career maker who was giving gay people and women exposure in comedy when everyone else on Earth just wanted another Seinfeld.

Also houses used to be a lot cheaper and easier to afford 30 years ago before the vultures in banking realized it was probably the easiest way to enslave poor people. A two-story house with a garage in lovely neighborhood might have only been $1,250-$1,500 a month, and Dan & Roseanne both work and collect government assistance, and the kids who don’t move out all work and help pay rent/bills. It’s a pretty true to life representation of a lower class family keeping itself going.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wasn't their house a split level and not a full two story?

Plus it was far, far Western Chicago area 30 years ago, definitely could get cheap housing then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL I just remembered the episode where Roseanne and Dan keep trying to find some privacy to bone but the kids keep getting into trouble and then at the end of the episode their oldest adult child is like “wait you guys think we haven’t heard every single time you guys have ever had sex? We share bedroom walls with you and also the house is basically made of paper mache’.” and the episode ends with the kids watching tv on the couch while plaster from the ceiling gently wafts down.

It’s shockingly close to real life, that

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think it’s fair to erase all that. Roseanne in the 90’s one literally the most progressive primetime show we had. It had the first openly gay characters on TV and Jackie coming out was a huge loving deal for gay people because she was main character with lots of screen time.

Roseanne is also where comedy legend Norm Macdonald got his first writing job in comedy.

It’s ok to say “Rosaeanne sucks now and shouldn’t have said racist things on Ambien.” but you can’t really take away her accomplishments as being a huge career maker who was giving gay people and women exposure in comedy when everyone else on Earth just wanted another Seinfeld.

Also houses used to be a lot cheaper and easier to afford 30 years ago before the vultures in banking realized it was probably the easiest way to enslave poor people. A two-story house with a garage in lovely neighborhood might have only been $1,250-$1,500 a month, and Dan & Roseanne both work and collect government assistance, and the kids who don’t move out all work and help pay rent/bills. It’s a pretty true to life representation of a lower class family keeping itself going.

Roseanne is absolutely my favorite proletarian sitcom but I’m pretty sure Roseanne herself isn’t just racist when she’s on ambien, so much as she’s an insane right wing lunatic all the time, but just somehow hid it during the original show

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Roseanne is absolutely my favorite proletarian sitcom but I’m pretty sure Roseanne herself isn’t just racist when she’s on ambien, so much as she’s an insane right wing lunatic all the time, but just somehow hid it during the original show

Have you been to an old person's home in the last 10-15 years? They tend to play Fox news 18 hours a day and get radicalized. Maybe she always sucked but a lot of people in that age range have gotten markedly shittier since the 90s.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yo, same here.

I remember reading an article back in the day during the show's original run about how they got the aesthetic of a lived-in home, and they would do stuff like toss the kitchen chairs into the air and let them fall on the ground, have crew members' kids come in and jump all over the sofa and chairs, throw fine sand all over the furniture and wipe it off to put scratches and wear on everything... it was pretty cool.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Blanche from The Golden Girls.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Marge and Selma were also kinda horny (Sorry, I've been running a bunch of ways to say that through my mind and they're all weird, can we just agree that this is how we'll say it?), though with Marge they got around it by saying "snuggling." If I remember, Kate in The Drew Carey show was also that way, though the show couldn't really decide if it wanted to treat her like the sexually liberated character, or the "slut" character.

Roseanne was kinda cool because my parents talked to each other like Roseanne and Dan would, giving each other elbow-poking insults. They always managed to keep it loving without sounding like borderline abuse like in Raymond.

Speaking of "are they poor or what?" One of the biggest contrivances in TV shows that always bugged me was dads who can't miss "the big game." They will skip out on kids' functions, family visits, spending time with wives/girlfriends, and anything that sounds like a million times more fun in favor of not missing "the big game." I can't imagine anyone in real life being like that unless they're a chronic gambler or something.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Plan Z posted:

Speaking of "are they poor or what?" One of the biggest contrivances in TV shows that always bugged me was dads who can't miss "the big game." They will skip out on kids' functions, family visits, spending time with wives/girlfriends, and anything that sounds like a million times more fun in favor of not missing "the big game." I can't imagine anyone in real life being like that unless they're a chronic gambler or something.

uhhh have you not met 95% of american dudes

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jeannie on I Dream of Jeannie was super horny, but they never ever acknowledged it as anything more than her being weird and goofy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Jeannie on I Dream of Jeannie was super horny, but they never ever acknowledged it as anything more than her being weird and goofy.

Reading the synopsis on Wikipedia this show is super weird

e: lol she really is thirsty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBFDFqlI0E

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The Moon Monster posted:

Have you been to an old person's home in the last 10-15 years? They tend to play Fox news 18 hours a day and get radicalized. Maybe she always sucked but a lot of people in that age range have gotten markedly shittier since the 90s.

One thing I've noticed about hardcore GOP/Trump celebrities is they always kept it under their hat (because, let's face it, Hollywood doesn't take kindly to them) and only come out with it when old and have their money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plan Z posted:

It's a good thing that the entire US knows about the big game, so it never happens in real life

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

Go to any fan board for any college football team and you'll find people bitching about having to miss games for weddings and such.

Not even big games. Like "goddammit, Bama is playing 3-4 Mississippi State this Saturday, but my loving daughter ..."

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Go to any fan board for any college football team and you'll find people bitching about having to miss games for weddings and such.

Not even big games. Like "goddammit, Bama is playing 3-4 Mississippi State this Saturday, but my loving daughter ..."

Yeah, I mean there's a difference between someone being like "I'm this excited," versus sitcom dad who will literally put their marriage in Jeopardy to see "the big game." They don't even specify like Super Bowl or tournament. It's always "the big game."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, I mean there's a difference between someone being like "I'm this excited," versus sitcom dad who will literally put their marriage in Jeopardy to see "the big game." They don't even specify like Super Bowl or tournament. It's always "the big game."

That's because they legally can't refer to it as the Super Bowl, without paying a fee, so "the big game" it is

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

it's cool how america is so bad at sports that they have invented their own two sports that the entire rest of the planet thinks are stupid as gently caress. And those sports have to stop every two minutes for commercials, lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

That's because they legally can't refer to it as the Super Bowl, without paying a fee, so "the big game" it is

One of the first Godzilla/Gameron movies was dubbed that the kids wanted to see the 'World Championship'.
World Championship of what sport? Never mentioned.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Quote-Unquote posted:

it's cool how america is so bad at sports that they have invented their own two sports that the entire rest of the planet thinks are stupid as gently caress. And those sports have to stop every two minutes for commercials, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjp1Zrvn8VQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frog Act posted:

She was also reportedly a horrible person while filming the show. She had a thing where she refused to learn writers' names and instead made them wear shirts with numbers on them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

(Nevermind)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 10, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

She was also reportedly a horrible person while filming the show. She had a thing where she refused to learn writers' names and instead made them wear shirts with numbers on them.

Even at the height of the show’s fame that seems like excessively haughty behavior for a sitcom star, like, drat lmao

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

the NFL asks you not to call it the Super Bowl but they can't legally stop you or charge you a fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

homeless guy posted:

the NFL asks you not to call it the Super Bowl but they can't legally stop you or charge you a fee

they could sue you