Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
What’s Jacob Wohl been up to recently? Haven’t heard anything from him in a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He was doing another fraudulent claim thing about a month ago.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

What’s Jacob Wohl been up to recently? Haven’t heard anything from him in a minute.

He lost his airpods, so now his buddy can't be fake security at his pressers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Godholio posted:

He was doing another fraudulent claim thing about a month ago.

Fraud, freedom of speech, whose to say what the difference is?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Multiple people from my bogan childhood are currently in jail for driving around threatening and robbing people while armed with screwdrivers.

Another great Aussie tradition.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress your thoughts and prayers, we need to talk about serious common sense screwdriver control.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gonna need you to fill out National Screwdriver Act form 4 and wait six months before the hardware store can transfer you another #2 cabinet flat-tip.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The joker scene from suicide squad but it’s Ron Swanson surrounded by screw drivers.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gonna need you to fill out National Screwdriver Act form 4 and wait six months before the hardware store can transfer you another #2 cabinet flat-tip.

It's a god drat shame they closed the powered screwdriver registry. Now a decent one costs the price of a nice used car.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/09/raytheon-and-united-technologies-agree-to-all-stock-merger-of-equals.html

Raytheon and UTC are merging

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

And so Liquid Ocelot's plans to take down the Patriots continues.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was going to buy an ELCAN, until I found out they were made by Raytheon.
gently caress Raytheon- they already tried to kill me with the piece of poo poo TOW.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

a sunday afternoon announcement too? lol

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh man I would not want to be a plant worker in my hometown.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i worked at pratt for 7 years

hahahahahahhhahah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This will end well I say in a voice that implies the exact opposite.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Oh man I would not want to be a plant worker in my hometown.

i wouldnt want to be a newly elected democrat governor of that hometown's state who won by the tiniest hair of a percentage point

quote:

U.S. Rep. John B. Larson, whose district includes both the UTC headquarters and Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford, said he was “assured by UTC that their manufacturing base in Connecticut will remain strong.”

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhh

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 10, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Global warming still isn't a problem though!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad Poster posted:

Global warming still isn't a problem though!

Congressman Dyatlov, how nice to see you

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

And for something completely out of left field (no pun intended), someone shot David Ortiz in the back.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/09/americas/mlb-david-ortiz-shot-dominican-republic/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gently caress. Last I heard it was his leg.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We're on a spate of headlines, let's get international.

Over one million Hong Kongers, one-seventh the population, are protesting in the streets against a new extradition law to the mainland.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

And for something completely out of left field (no pun intended), someone shot David Ortiz in the back.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/09/americas/mlb-david-ortiz-shot-dominican-republic/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

the twist is that the perpetrators are a white couple from Lowell on vacation who were worried Ortiz was going to rob them after he walked passed them on the other side of the street

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the twist is that the perpetrators are a white couple from Lowell on vacation who were worried Ortiz was going to rob them after he walked passed them on the other side of the street

???

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/1138090429159825410?s=19

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's probably a joke about the aggressive whiteness of massachusetteers.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

You've got to get out of the shortstop's pocket and play a little deeper, or they're going to keep going over your head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is really hard to watch.

https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status/1137804405770788864?s=20

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Jesus loving christ

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

That makes me sick to my stomach. How many cops do they need with guns drawn for one man with his hands up on his knees? That 100% looked like he was being set up for an execution.

Let's also talk about the shotgun(?) aimed at the woman recording it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Yeah I saw that too. She only lowers it when the woman recording calls her out for having it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hegel Exercises posted:

That makes me sick to my stomach. How many cops do they need with guns drawn for one man with his hands up on his knees? That 100% looked like he was being set up for an execution.

Let's also talk about the shotgun(?) aimed at the woman recording it.

Referring to the amount of cops and the amount of cops only! I'm not defending anything, just addressing why so many would show.

A current belief in policing is that a show of force deescalates situations. As in, someone who may have fought one or two cops wont be willing to fight five or six. The logic is that this prevents the situation from ever becoming one where any force besides presence is necessary.

Anecdotally, I've seen it work.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I was getting some vibes of that shooting in the hotel hallway where the cop kept giving contradictory, complex instructions to a sobbing man while sounding drat near gleeful at the prospect of shooting the guy, which of course he did, several times with an AR. The cop’s partner had “YOU’RE hosed” etched into the dust cover of his weapon.

Did the Hawthorne PD really need so many cops with guns drawn and at least two ARs pointed at a suspect who already had his hands up and was compliant? Looked like a recipe for contagious fire if someone’s car had backfired within a few blocks.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Referring to the amount of cops and the amount of cops only! I'm not defending anything, just addressing why so many would show.

A current belief in policing is that a show of force deescalates situations. As in, someone who may have fought one or two cops wont be willing to fight five or six. The logic is that this prevents the situation from ever becoming one where any force besides presence is necessary.

I was gonna type some wordy response but I’ll just summarize it by saying this is a lame rear end excuse.

Anecdotally I’ve seen Monty projectile poo poo five feet. It doesn’t mean that’s how it’s going to be or should be.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

I was gonna type some wordy response but I’ll just summarize it by saying this is a lame rear end excuse.

Anecdotally I’ve seen Monty projectile poo poo five feet. It doesn’t mean that’s how it’s going to be or should be.

A lame rear end excuse for what? In a situation where someone is dangerous and uncooperative (I'm not referring to this video, of course, because I never saw this man behave in a dangerous manner or be uncooperative) do you think the situation is more likely to resolve safely by having a single officer show up without backup?

Anyway, someone asked how many cops were needed and I explained why so many would show: because that's what current training is in a lot of places. Don't be a cop and shoot the messenger who isn't resisting you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

When your suspect is already on his knees, hands behind his head, and the person issuing verbal commands is now mixing up commands, its just an execution squad at that point.

Its crap, and its a terrible method for de-escalation.

Chichevache posted:

A lame rear end excuse for what? In a situation where someone is dangerous and uncooperative (I'm not referring to this video, of course, because I never saw this man behave in a dangerous manner or be uncooperative) do you think the situation is more likely to resolve safely by having a single officer show up without backup?

Anyway, someone asked how many cops were needed and I explained why so many would show: because that's what current training is in a lot of places. Don't be a cop and shoot the messenger who isn't resisting you.

Its crap because 'being unccoperative' is used an excuse for about anything, and is generally used as code word for 'Now we can start wailing on the suspect'.

Nearly everytime I've seen video of an uncooperative suspect, its while they issue commands to a suspect they have pinned to the ground, with a knee on their back or chest while screaming in their face who is not going to be able to be cooperative even if he wanted to be.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 10, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Calling a spade a spade isn’t shooting the messenger.

It’s a lame excuse even if you’re just passing it along.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CommieGIR posted:

When your suspect is already on his knees, hands behind his head, and the person issuing verbal commands is now mixing up commands, its just an execution squad at that point.

Its crap, and its a terrible method for de-escalation.

I'm not defending the person giving terrible directions in any way. Once he was on his knees with his hands behind his head, two cops should have approached him and placed him in handcuffs. End of story.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

I'm not defending the person giving terrible directions in any way. Once he was on his knees with his hands behind his head, two cops should have approached him and placed him in handcuffs. End of story.

I think that’s my biggest takeaway. When the suspect submits what are you waiting on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

The problem is: Who takes that initiative? There's already one person issuing commands, and doing so badly, if one person is already commanding the situation is unable to follow through, why should we expect anyone else to?

It comes down to a couple things: Poor or non-existent De-escalation training outside of lethal means, and lack of understanding of how to deal with a cooperative suspect versus a resisting one.

The fact that they were already bringing out heavy firepower against a suspect already in a submissive state shows that NOBODY understood that situation, and rather than deal with it properly, they were ready to just escalate the situation because that was the easier path they knew.

And this is not an isolated incident. This is so incredibly common. Like the guy in Florida who was laying down trying to save an Autistic kid's life, the cops then chose to take pot shots at him rather than take control and de-escalate.

This is a US Police issue.