Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I just learned on turn 100 that high elves can gently caress with other people's attitude towards them.. thought it was just for me lol.... #imdumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Someone needs to let CA know that your commander, who has a magical item and a skill that regen his health, should not lose 90% of his health in a battle that autoresolve has me at 95% chance to win. This is loving ridiculous that I have to fight out an ambush battle so my general and his to wizards dont end up at 15% or so health because :autoresolve: said so, in a battle that i only lose 15 dudes, no less.

edit: and of course the battle is on the ambush map that the one getting ambushed starts off in a riverbed in the middle of a forest so its impossible to actually ambush them with an army that isnt 100% melee infantry.

you can wait to start an ambush. they will continue walking forward until you break your stealth (which either means moving right next to them or otherwise attacking)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

What are skaven Assassins good for, other than +replenishment?

absolutely nothin' hunh

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I swear something must be broken with the autoresolve weighting. I win ambush battles taking like 1% casualties by any lords or agents lose at least 50% of their health. Its maddening.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you can wait to start an ambush. they will continue walking forward until you break your stealth (which either means moving right next to them or otherwise attacking)
So I could have my army standing in the open but because its an ambush they wont get spotted till they move or the enemy gets too close?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I just learned on turn 100 that high elves can gently caress with other people's attitude towards them.. thought it was just for me lol.... #imdumb

I mostly used their special currency for absurdly great heroes and generals.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Restarted my Wood Elf campaign as Durthu, and he is way, way more fun than Orion. I conquered the forest, and now I have two stacks wiping out the Bretonians between the sea and me.

Next, I'm gonna go mess with vampires or something alongside my new Empire bros.

Trees >> elves.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

alex314 posted:

I mostly used their special currency for absurdly great heroes and generals.

What are your favourite starting traits to look for?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

Incendiary is good on mages. Give them some magic armour and they become combat heroes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
On heroes:

Incendiary is amazing, as previously mentioned.

Three Entrepeneuer mages will get you basically instant, totally free buildings in all non-unhabitable climates.

Fecund will help a ton with growth since HE have bad natural growth. Loremasters can get +winds worldwide IIRC, that as well as research are top picks. Nobles have a faction-wide tax bonus which is great in the endgame.

For lords, Dragon-willed is generally great because dragons are amazing. Princesses get Charmed which gives you a bound Amber Spear (one of the best magic missiles). There's also Organized which makes Militia armies super cheap to mantain. There a few others that are noteworthy for specific army comps but those are the best that come to mind.

Azran fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 9, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

hmm yes very "close"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Just Chamber posted:

hmm yes very "close"

Get in that Thorgrim spirit
That’s 72 new grudges in just one battle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Get in that Thorgrim spirit
That’s 72 new grudges in just one battle

I did the math and it looks like almost half of those casualties were self-inflicted...

*Gives siege crew the stink eye*

That's going in the book!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Handmaidens of the Everqueen with incendiary are some of the strongest single entities in the game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

I swear something must be broken with the autoresolve weighting. I win ambush battles taking like 1% casualties by any lords or agents lose at least 50% of their health. Its maddening.

So I could have my army standing in the open but because its an ambush they wont get spotted till they move or the enemy gets too close?

yes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:cripes:
You're amazing. Thank you.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

As Lizardmen I'm basically forced to autoresolve against skaven. I can kill maybe 60% of them before they run if I do it manually. But if i Autoresolve I will wipe them out completely somehow.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's units for most factions that I would use often, except autoresolve loves to annihilate them every drat battle.

Chameleon skinks and witch elves for example. And bloated corpses but at least that makes sense, even if it's a piddly battle where you'd really just hide them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As lizards autoresolve likes me. Enemies die in vast numbers.
As skaven autoresolve /hates/ me. I'll take a decisive loss in battles I can win with minimal casualties on the field.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
On the other hand, I do appreciate Skaven autoresolve being hosed because I enjoy playing the poo poo out of (Skryre) Skaven. Why yes I'd love to take a personal touch in blowing up all my enemies.

But yeah, it's also stuff like Bretonnians getting insanely good autoresolve because the algorithm loving loves their cavalry. Since AI vs AI is entirely autoresolve, this can cause weird balance in the campaign layer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How good are plant people as high elf infantry?

Edit: Holy hell taking Phoenix Gate is difficult with Alarrielle's starting units + T1 stuff. No artillery or fliers and I can't build siege...

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 9, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Lone Badger posted:

They're good with Alarielle imo. I use the damage dealers to mulch dudes once they connect with the shield wall early game. Also having access to monstrous infantry as high elves is useful if you want it to be useful.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
There's a feature in Thrones of Britannia that I hope gets carried to Warhammer 3: The ability to choose defensive/offensive tactics in autoresolve which results in less/more casualties on both sides

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: Holy hell taking Phoenix Gate is difficult with Alarrielle's starting units + T1 stuff. No artillery or fliers and I can't build siege...

They usually sally if you just try to starve them out, and then they are way easier to beat.

3K doesn’t have that, but it does tell you flat out if you will win and by how much. It still means you need to fight battles to win tough fights or win easier ones without unnecessary losses, but at least there’s no dumb guesswork. And it seems way better about assigning damage- no more “two dead units everyone else is fine”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 9, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Treemen are eh, but dryads are great flankers that also apply fear, a niche early HE armies lack. Tree-kin are really tough against infantry without bonus vs large and since the unit has few models you can use them to tarpit enemy infantry while your archers mulch them.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I had to manually fight most of the battles while rampaging through the southlands because the autoresolve does not account for my low-casualty battle tactic of "have Kroq-Gar plus his Scar-vet and Stegadon friends flatten the Tomb King ASAP" :killdozer:

At least watching the TK army crumble to dust is always satisfying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

High Elves economy is really tight huh?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
What do you mean? You can get free buildings as high elves.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eventually.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Lone Badger posted:

You should have access to the Rite of Isha. Pop that right after the battle. It'll be like you were just gifted the gate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I suppose you could do some extra stinky cheese with highelves and just create free buildings and then destroy them next turn for the 50% refund, though if your doing that in a singleplayer game you might as well just cheat in money for yourself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
High Elf economy sucks early, it just also snowballs really well eventually

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
How are you supposed to deal with skaven corruption when every building you want has +1 corruption and only rubbish pit and hero's have untainted? Should I care I'm at 60% corruption and climbing?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How are you supposed to deal with skaven corruption when every building you want has +1 corruption and only rubbish pit and hero's have untainted? Should I care I'm at 60% corruption and climbing?

Don't give a poo poo about Skaven corruption, just make sure public order isn't negative. You can do that with the temples.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

toasterwarrior posted:

Don't give a poo poo about Skaven corruption, just make sure public order isn't negative. You can do that with the temples.

Alright, next question:
What's the best way to make cash? Under cities with siphon buildings?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What was the name of that photo site that had all the weird charcol filters that ate up the thread for a couple pages

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Alright, next question:

Yeah siphon money from cities like Altdorf and otherwise, just build warpstone generators in all your capitals. All your buildings giving piddly money adds up when every province has ten or more buildings making 40+ gold x160%.

Basically every capital should get a bell and generator ASAP.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Alright, next question:
If you can reliably establish undercities in places that can syphon they are a great way to make extra cash, but the best way is to have whole regions where you have each of the economic buildings ,especially ports, in each building slot. Also the defensive building.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
There's no way I can export a battle for someone else to play right? I would love to see what other better people would do in certain battles I lost.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bah I can't give the Sword of Khaine to the incendiary handmaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's units for most factions that I would use often, except autoresolve loves to annihilate them every drat battle.

Chameleon skinks and witch elves for example. And bloated corpses but at least that makes sense, even if it's a piddly battle where you'd really just hide them.

shock troops almost seem to be singled out to be shot first during the archer phase