Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LbYHo3K0J4
I wasn't aware of just how easy the cav life is until I tried, I still feel a little dirty. *goes back to being cav scum in secret*

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sum posted:

I would hate to compromise the verisimilitude of the game where vikings fight with landsknechts with weapons that are slightly the wrong color

yeah that's why I added the last part about it still being cool because of it being a videogame, keep up

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

dogstile posted:

If it was so silent I'm wondering why it's half the chat literally every game I play

Why do you have the chat turned on???

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
if you want a big lol, the javelin is just the ballista bolt model scaled up

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

if you want a big lol, the javelin is just the ballista bolt model scaled up

I bought it last night hoping I could trick them out and load up a fatass heavy armor dude with them.

V sad.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

since you can't really fight in melee with the javelins there's really no reason not to just roll three short spears they're much deadlier anyhow.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

crossroads would be really fun if the walkways weren't so loving skinny. falling seems like the #1 cause of death.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Motherfucker posted:

since you can't really fight in melee with the javelins there's really no reason not to just roll three short spears they're much deadlier anyhow.

well, instead of having 3 short spears for 12 points, you can have 4 javelins for 6 points and whatever weapon you want. even a short spear!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

well, instead of having 3 short spears for 12 points, you can have 4 javelins for 6 points and whatever weapon you want. even a short spear!

yeah but if my guy is gonna fumble and drop two of them every time he gets hit my skirmishing is really more 'archery but less' and I'd be better served just... not, besides, the value of short spears is you don't know when the guy is gonna huck them and since javs and short spears use the same animation there's no real gain in speed.

I guess 'a big boy damage throwing weapon' is a niche that throwing axes didn't completely cover? The fact they behave exactly like any other throwing weapon means they're mostly just expensive throwing axes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stretch Marx posted:

You people don't want medieval war sim. You want CS:GO with swords.

CSGO has Molotov's ;)

It just doesnt have resupply points right next to skinny walkways that let people perma block off them so literally the only thing you can do is walk through it with fireproof (alone, because your team certainly isn't going to) or play the archer game and achieve nothing.

I don't have a problem with these things on the other maps but I do on crossroads, because while they're not fun things for me on other maps, at least on other maps I can simply just avoid it. Can't on crossroads.

E: maybe I'd complain less if the game didn't let people hype vote for the same map over and over again

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

You mean the same chat that screams racial and homophobic slurs every two seconds between ez and lawl? Truly the pulse of the fan base.

Not everyone wants only sword fighting in a medieval fighting game. Horses happened. The literal largest contiguous empire was founded on a flat grassland and horses. Get over it.

You people don't want medieval war sim. You want CS:GO with swords.

how many medieval wars were fought between armies of 32 people with exactly two horsemen & three lute players on each side

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

dogstile posted:

CSGO has Molotov's ;)

It just doesnt have resupply points right next to skinny walkways that let people perma block off them so literally the only thing you can do is walk through it with fireproof (alone, because your team certainly isn't going to) or play the archer game and achieve nothing.

everyone who's complaining about this chokepoint problem - do you realize that the point can be capped from ground level, at the bottom of the stairs? That area is pretty open and far enough from resupply points that you rarely get "boxed in" or screwed over by fire or smoke, and people coming from outside can easily help relieve attacks to the capping players. Most of the time I see people rushing up to attack the fortified top instead of just staying downstairs in superior numbers and waiting for the enemy to come get you :doh:

I had an excellent game in Crossroads where I did maybe went up on the treehouse top once, the rest of the time I spent battling on the ground :shrug:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Farm Frenzy posted:

how many medieval wars were fought between armies of 32 people with exactly two horsemen & three lute players on each side

No wonder those idiots kept losing at crusades, they needed more lutists to increase morale back then.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
How fun is this game? On a scale of 1-fun?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

It’s fun, but it’s a game that attracts an incredibly lovely audience.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Babe Magnet posted:

Kind of wish you could change the metal color on weapons like you can armor.

You can, though. Bottom of the weapon's cosmetics menu. I know I fiddled with the color of my War Axe's blade and gave the cross guard on my bastard sword a bit of a brass tint.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nordick posted:

You can, though. Bottom of the weapon's cosmetics menu. I know I fiddled with the color of my War Axe's blade and gave the cross guard on my bastard sword a bit of a brass tint.

Only a few weapons let you change the color of the business end, like the war axe, throwing axe, mace and evening star. The rest just do the grip/guard/shaft type stuff, but the blade/striking part is stuck as the bare metal.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Farm Frenzy posted:

That's a limitation of the tech. The first person to build a game engine that lets thousands of people in the same map then you'll see some poo poo. For now this is what we have.

But bitching about horses on the horse map is like bitching about tanks on Kursk. I have no sympathy for the rifleman upset he can't simply gun down a vehicle with his kar on the map designed for vehicle combat.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Game is extremely fun, just expect frustrating moments as you get clowned on by people way more skilled, and out of the blue from random things. Also be prepared for classic lobby shooter chat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

McSpanky posted:

Only a few weapons let you change the color of the business end, like the war axe, throwing axe, mace and evening star. The rest just do the grip/guard/shaft type stuff, but the blade/striking part is stuck as the bare metal.

Well this is indeed poopy and ought to be rectified.

Stretch Marx posted:

That's a limitation of the tech. The first person to build a game engine that lets thousands of people in the same map then you'll see some poo poo. For now this is what we have.

Planetside 3: Mordhau

Parachute
May 18, 2003
ive been screaming around town with that heavy hand axe and loving it. i bet the poke damage will get nerfed though, it just eats people alive and comes out fairly fast & if you hit someone in the head it's (usually) lights out

edit: i think my build is 3/3/2 + the axe and bloodlust but im at work so i cant verify. i really liked that 3/3/3 bl + arming sword build so this is just a derivative of it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I poked my way through 10 people last night with the axe head, its absolutely obscene.

I also made a rapier build, which is a guy who's 1/1/1, a rapier and all perks. Most noticeably the dodge perk and the perk that makes jumping take half stam, but not sure if that applies to dodging. What I do know, is that it really pisses off the guys swinging two handers when I dodge out of their range and stab them in the face over and over again. I can see why people hate rapiers so much, that build hard counters to 2h dudes if you're good at spacing.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Crossroads is a dumb map but the worst part of it is there is a "bird" sound effect on that map that sounds like a lovely sci-fi siren with no way to turn off ambient sound.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

NigelThornberry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LbYHo3K0J4
I wasn't aware of just how easy the cav life is until I tried, I still feel a little dirty. *goes back to being cav scum in secret*

I am not good at this game but one thing I do is that every time I hear or see a horse I try to contest it, like throw something at the horse or try to stab or whatever, and when I see clips like this it's easy to figure out why the horse is still alive when I've hit it for 30+ damage three times in two minutes -- 90% of the player base's anti-horse strategy is "pretend the scary horse doesn't exist"

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i literally kill every horse i see because its free points until your idiot team mate gets on and then u just have to kill him and keep going because these horses aint gonna slaughter themselves

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

loving mordhau... mordhau why are you so good yet so hobbled by so many things, like for example why was 'make levels symmetrical' such a sin? Its far, far easier to balance and whatever novelty you gain from having such interesting places to ignore while you lop peoples malformed skulls off isn't really covering for the massive problems that arise when one team has to wade through waist high sewer run off only to find the other team got a free slippery slide right to the midpoint. Mordhau, why is horde like that, you know what I mean, why is it that if I want to play horde I have to wait for each round staring listlessly, pointedly not playing horde than if I made the rookie mistake of joining a game in progress am I choked for gear and money which ultimately leaves me not playing horde all the more... Honestly my ideal horde would be defending a big breakable thing from infinity enemies with endless respawns for me and like... ten other people.

Honestly I just wanna play horde forever but I don't get gold when I do it locally and online I run the risk of encountering mordhau players which is generally a pretty miserable time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So just make your own server dude it's not that hard

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motherfucker posted:

loving mordhau... mordhau why are you so good yet so hobbled by so many things, like for example why was 'make levels symmetrical' such a sin? Its far, far easier to balance and whatever novelty you gain from having such interesting places to ignore while you lop peoples malformed skulls off isn't really covering for the massive problems that arise when one team has to wade through waist high sewer run off only to find the other team got a free slippery slide right to the midpoint. Mordhau, why is horde like that, you know what I mean, why is it that if I want to play horde I have to wait for each round staring listlessly, pointedly not playing horde than if I made the rookie mistake of joining a game in progress am I choked for gear and money which ultimately leaves me not playing horde all the more... Honestly my ideal horde would be defending a big breakable thing from infinity enemies with endless respawns for me and like... ten other people.

Honestly I just wanna play horde forever but I don't get gold when I do it locally and online I run the risk of encountering mordhau players which is generally a pretty miserable time.

Horde would be more fun if it was like a full on tower defense mode with all the strategistics around that... Right now the horde and BR mode just seem like joke modes you play for a lark when you're burn out on frontline.

I'd really like them to add something like a conquest mode that had all symmetrical maps, allowed back-caps, and had at least a few maps with no horses or any static emplacements. Let frontline continue to be the rando pubbie zerg lulz nothing matters mode.

Then add a built in league system/ranked play. I'd totally join a team for this game and play semi seriously if it was an option.

But hey who can complain, at least this loving game allows dedicated servers that you can run yourself so you can actually arrange scrim/competitive tournaments if you want. That's like a first for a popular FPS type game in years.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Collapsing Farts posted:

This game is only fun if you play casually. I found dueling really toxic and the community on the reddit to be extremely elitist and unwilling to hear criticism of the game.

Pattonesque posted:

I am not good at this game but one thing I do is that every time I hear or see a horse I try to contest it, like throw something at the horse or try to stab or whatever, and when I see clips like this it's easy to figure out why the horse is still alive when I've hit it for 30+ damage three times in two minutes -- 90% of the player base's anti-horse strategy is "pretend the scary horse doesn't exist"

Yeah same, but the problem is that horsemen are only targets of opportunity for a very short time. If theyre charging straight at you and you try to swing they'll either kill you first or horse bump you 9/10 times, so really the only good ways to deal with them is building or throw/shooting at them, both of which are easier said than done with how quickly they drive by.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 10, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
People are only toxic in duel because they think they're really good and then get mad when you work out the single combo they've learned and then punish them for it.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009
I'm really excited for any semblance of a ranked 1v1 mode. Not that I'm good at it or anything but you get to learn some fun mechanics in duels. Frontline is still fun to just wreck faces. Playing 3/3/3 with a heavy weapon leads to hilarious 1vX fights, or pubbies introducing the scenario/feeding you ripostes while you clown on their team.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
I found that with time I have started learning to do visually bizarre stuff like looking down as I overhead swing or looking away as I stab and then coming back. It looks dumb when you see someone else do it.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I thought jousting on horseback was pretty fun. It is useless for the objective, but at least it's good for practicing your horse mechanics

Parachute
May 18, 2003
turning off the chat window and only opening it to do drive-by jeers/cheers made this game so much more fun. just seeing the toxic garbage people spew out in chat was enough to sour my mood on playing (which i have very limited time to do).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

torn banner just announced chivalry 2 on stage at the pcgamer show lol

Chivalry 2: Mordhau is Dead

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

NigelThornberry posted:

This game is only fun if you play casually. I found dueling really toxic and the community on the reddit to be extremely elitist and unwilling to hear criticism of the game.

Yeah same, but the problem is that horsemen are only targets of opportunity for a very short time. If theyre charging straight at you and you try to swing they'll either kill you first or horse bump you 9/10 times, so really the only good ways to deal with them is building or throw/shooting at them, both of which are easier said than done with how quickly they drive by.

This isn't exactly correct. If they're charging straight at you, you're in trouble...unless you move out of the way or get behind an obstacle. I have a lot of luck with overhead swings from the side, just whacking them as they go by. You're not going to one shot them, but the horses don't regen health, and if enough people take a swipe at the horse, it's going to go down fast.

Or just use a Billhook and pull the rider off to his death. You have to be careful if you're planning on taking a charge head on, if he's using a spear or a lance, you're going to lose that fight 100% of the time, but almost anything else, if you time it right, you'll knock him off and be no worse the wear for it. Otherwise, side step (preferably behind cover) and pull him off as he goes by.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's funny as hell to me that they put out another patch and horse momentum is still only one way lmao.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

cerebral posted:

This isn't exactly correct. If they're charging straight at you, you're in trouble...unless you move out of the way or get behind an obstacle. I have a lot of luck with overhead swings from the side, just whacking them as they go by. You're not going to one shot them, but the horses don't regen health, and if enough people take a swipe at the horse, it's going to go down fast.

Or just use a Billhook and pull the rider off to his death. You have to be careful if you're planning on taking a charge head on, if he's using a spear or a lance, you're going to lose that fight 100% of the time, but almost anything else, if you time it right, you'll knock him off and be no worse the wear for it. Otherwise, side step (preferably behind cover) and pull him off as he goes by.

I have the most luck if they're targeting someone else because then I can reliably get them in my arc without being bumped, if I am the target I usually just take cover like you said.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

NigelThornberry posted:

I have the most luck if they're targeting someone else because then I can reliably get them in my arc without being bumped, if I am the target I usually just take cover like you said.

I've become convinced that the power of horses in this game is largely psychological. If people would adopt your attitude and actually fight against them, they would crumple, and we wouldn't see dudes going 56 and 3 playing my little pony for an entire round. If archers would shoot them, that would also be magical, but I won't hold my breath waiting on that, much better to fire arrows from spawn in hopes that they magically land on an enemy out of visual range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

cerebral posted:

I've become convinced that the power of horses in this game is largely psychological. If people would adopt your attitude and actually fight against them, they would crumple, and we wouldn't see dudes going 56 and 3 playing my little pony for an entire round. If archers would shoot them, that would also be magical, but I won't hold my breath waiting on that, much better to fire arrows from spawn in hopes that they magically land on an enemy out of visual range.

this is exactly it, if everyone just acknowledged that the horse existed and took a swing at it or shot at it it'd be able to make one pass around the battlefield before it crumpled