Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Page ??+i

Here I am, in the dream again. Time swirls; past, present and future blend as one, and I am yesterday's Kate, and tomorrow's Kate, little Catherine full of wonder, and old Ms Ravenhurst full of regret. It seems my life turns on this moment, all paths lead to and from now. In dreams past (or future?), I have wandered the wood in search of secrets, made a triumphant pilgrimage to the fane of dead gods, drowned myself in bodily fluids. Not tonight.

I'm here for another purpose, this time to look inward. Yesterday evening, I committed murder. More than one. I didn't wield the knife, but I wielded the man who thrust its blade. Until that moment, truly, I was play acting the part of a cult leader. I sit here, under the trees, feel the Moths flitter about, feel the Velvet moss under my bare feet.

I was a child, playing her parents' clothes. I could have ended it any time, gone back to mundane meaningless existence. Not now, not anymore. I have set myself on this path, and I cannot return. These deaths will be the first of many. I will be merciless in my pursuit. I will show no compassion for those who stand in my way. I will wear my parents' clothes, until they fit me. I will study at their feet.

And one day, I will replace them.

Page 67

What a Glorious Evening. As the Sun lay low on its way to night, my fellow seekers slowly wandered into our Mithraeum. Down the corridor, round the corner, in the darkness where no outside light can touch, I wated for them to gather.

I announced the commencement of proceedings by way of the massive arc lamp I had procured for the occasion. A few screamed as the light exploded to life and shielded their eyes from this artificial sun. The beam radiated out and reflected off the mirrors and polished stone, such that everyone's vision swam white and the world melted away.

An extreme step on my part, to be sure, but just as Humanity once made the Red Grail, now we make a new Sun-in-Splendour.

Just as the Witch-and-Sister were once mortals and ascended to the Mansus to become Hours, so shall I.

And just as The Names serve the Hours, so shall I need servants to achieve incandescence.

Though I too was blind in the electric resplendancy, I knew my part. I pulled away the cloth covering the painting, which the room's mirrors captured from any angle, and as vision returned, now The Door in the Eye was the only thing visible. Beyond and behind this Hour lies the ending.

Page 68

I have arranged a few days holiday from work, to give me the time to tackle our haul. This will be a challenge to get through, but I believe it is possible.

I have been brushing up on my Greek since our walk home from the plundered church. I recall much now of my classes at Oxford. Though similar to Latin with its cases and genders, for some reason I always found this a much more manageable beast. At least reading is easier than speaking.

Hopefully I shall have no trouble reading these.

Page 69

Though now we normally meet in the Mithraeum, tonight I called a special meeting of the Mirror in my dining room. I made a visit this morning to Morlands and picked up a few new books to add to the stack. Then, I spent this afternoon painstakingly stripping bindings and bundling loose sheafs of paper into chapters and sections.

And so there I sat when the others arrived, perched upon a dining chair before a huge stack of papers. I put the case simply. We need the information in these books, quickly. We will divide them up between us, and read through the night to find as much as we can that might help us in our Purpose. Elridge and Victor seemed relieved when I made clear they would not be needed. Their hands are not made for books.

Instead I set them to the task of tracking our detective friend. I hear tell his name is Douglas. He mustn't interfere.

Page 70

Book after Book after Book. We read through the night, but when it was time for the ceremony of dawn, our work was complete.

I said the rites, thanked my companions for their time, and they departed.

I learned much last night. As we read, we called each other to see different passages, different snippets of truth. We cross-referenced where we could, and soon all the dissimilations melted away.

I had been guided to the church which held these books by the secrets I gleaned from Travelling at Night, and sure enough I learned the White Ceremony performed by Elagabalus that will lead me to the White Door.

But curiously, it emerges there is more than one way through. In our studies, pieced together the Iguvine Rite which would lead me there by another path.

Elsewhere in our pile of papers were subtle poetic hints of a third route to the door, and even of what lies beyond it. I do not yet know what the Third Mark is, but it seems that past the White Door lies another, with a Name. As this revelation wormed its way into my soul, an eerie feeling of deja vu overtook me, as though I had plucked these facts from this very moment and utilised them in times past. I shook it off and we continued.

Some works yielded only duplicates of facts elsewhere in the sheaves.

Others, clues to locations here in London we can use, perhaps.

A few miscellaneous truths were also uncovered both great and small; no use to us at present, but fascinating nonetheless.

Now, of course, I am spoiled for choice on my path from here. But all roads before me lead ultimately to the same place. The Horned Door. The Bone Door. The White Door. Entryway to the Mansus.

And so I have decided to stay my intended course. Perform the White Ceremony in the Wood, and pass the place where no speech can travel.

So it was that I slept this afternoon, exhausted from staying awake through the night. The rite was performed, the sacrifices made in silence, and I saw the path that will take me through. Tonight, in my real sleep, I shall traverse.

Page 70+i

Here I am. The White door. It's beautiful. They say no speech can pass the door. I am not sure if that's true of writing, so I intend an experiment. I am writing now as I approach the door and as I pass through I will see if

Page 71

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Mechanics Update 7

Welcome to the Mid game of Cultist Simulator. Our early game play consisted of getting all our verbs out, picking up a few scraps of knowledge here and there, finding our way to the Wood, and gathering up a few followers or hirelings to make our first few vault runs.

Now, we're beginning something different. With sufficient quantities of our Cult's lore to promote everyone to Disciples, we can now start making regular vault runs, and where before we would avidly read each book that crossed our table, soon the books will pile up faster than we can read them.

Let's start with Desire this time. Since the start we've had this temptation card kicking about, which as I mentioned in a previous update is our win condition. We need to upgrade it several times and then perform a final ritual using it as a component to win.

The first step in doing this is dedication. Right now we could change it to other things to change the exact path to victory, but Enlightenment is what we want, and if we're set on this path, we can use a fourth-magnitude Lantern lore to upgrade this to Dedication: Enlightenment. We got a fourth-magnitude lore from one of the books taken from the Church, so we'll use that now.

Somehow Kate used that lore to make her dedication before she'd even read the book, but history is multiple choice in cultist simulator, so we can't say what really happened.

We still need to go through the process of actually promoting our followers. Lucky Kate gets to do it in a mass ritual through the power of narration, but we only have a single talk action that can only accept one follower at a time, so it takes a long time to get everyone up to speed. In the meantime, we can read the books we stole and some new ones besides.

We bought a whole bunch of books in addition to the ones we stole, which honestly is not the best use of our funds since we're not really playing the slow game here--now that we're on our way to bigger and better vaults, the books we steal will almost universally completely outclass almost every book on sale at Morland's. Partly we're just going fishing for Essays and Poetry so we can get our skills levelled up.

Of course, like with followers it is a similar story with books, there's no study group or Pentagon Papers-style team combing through hundreds of documents as Kate did, each one must be read individually. While the narrative covers every book read in this chunk of time, I think in future I may skip some/many books, since if we do a second run (or new game+), it will be good to have some books to show.

We also learned Greek from the Language book we stole, which is necessary for two of the other stolen books, as they must first be translated. This will also be necessary for learning Phrygian, a language which requires a grounding in Greek.

Careful reading of the texts provided when you study a work, or the lore description, give hints about where to go from here. We can reach the White Door with Winter (as we learned last time), Lantern or Knock lore (as explained here). We'll use Winter to achieve it, for thematic reasons if nothing else.

Incidentally, this work also hints at what must be done to achieve a grail ascension. Were we doing a grail ascension, we'd be eating a lot of people. Thankfully we're going to brain our way into immortality so I'm sure we won't have to do anything quite so gruesome.

Once we've found the route to the door, each trip will exhaust one health card, taking time to recover. This is why the time spend exercising was worth it, were we stuck on one health card, cycling through the White Door to find things would be slow in the extreme.

A few conlcusory notes. this was touched on briefly in replies but at certain milestones in the game, pictures fade into existence in the background of the Tableau. Sadly I absent-mindedly fail to catch most of them, but I did get this one, which appears when you make your dedication. This image was drawn by John Austen, an early 20th century English illustrator, and depicts the scene from Hamlet where he meets his father's ghost. This illustation also appeared on the back cover of the 1968 album Dreams by Hungarian guitarist Gabor Szabo. The album is on youtube here, and is a sort of smooth jazz/classical third-stream sort of thing.

And lastly, I do want to highlight a thing which I really love about the Cultist Simulator lore, which is the way it all ties together.

Here are two books, one a set of letters by a Julian Coseley to an unnamed student, and another by Hersault, who has a relationship with Coseley of some form. Is Hersault the addressee of these letters, or the person Coseley was worried about? it is unclear, but tantalising. Are there other books which make it clear? Maybe, I'm not sure.

And this is not the only such connection that exists between people.

Next time: The Soul Healer, the Occultist, His Lover, and Their Books.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Glagha posted:

That's not entirely true, but I think people get the wrong impression by the text on that. It does exactly what it says it's going to do: Get you attention. So you meet people, but sometimes you also get mystique.

Assuming I'm remembering correctly, I believe that was a mechanic that was changed very quickly after launch. I have vague memories of pulling notoriety while recruiting way back in ye olden days.

Is this taken
Mar 30, 2011

thats so fucking cool

quote:

Incidentally, this work also hints at what must be done to achieve a grail ascension. Were we doing a grail ascension, we'd be eating a lot of people. Thankfully we're going to brain our way into immortality so I'm sure we won't have to do anything quite so gruesome.

Typical Lantern, thinking they're too good to roll around in the muck like the rest of us.

Zengetsu posted:

Assuming I'm remembering correctly, I believe that was a mechanic that was changed very quickly after launch. I have vague memories of pulling notoriety while recruiting way back in ye olden days.

I think you're thinking of exploring Peculiar Rumors, which draws an acquaintance and a notoriety (which is kind of a bum deal)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oooh, can't believe I didn't notice this LP.

I'm not that big into this game-don't even own it-but I have watched a lot of video LPs. I like this screenshot approach, however. And good writing for the narrative bits!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Junpei posted:

Oooh, can't believe I didn't notice this LP.

I'm not that big into this game-don't even own it-but I have watched a lot of video LPs. I like this screenshot approach, however. And good writing for the narrative bits!

Thanks!

Is this taken posted:

Typical Lantern, thinking they're too good to roll around in the muck like the rest of us.

I think you're thinking of exploring Peculiar Rumors, which draws an acquaintance and a notoriety (which is kind of a bum deal)

That’s Dr Lantern to you, I didn’t spend five years at Oxford to be called Miss. PhD doesn’t stand for “People - Hors D'oeuvres” you know?

I do feel it would be entirely reasonable for Peculiar Rumours to give mystique. The risk as is seldom feels worth it until you have the means to negate notoriety, at which point you hardly need more people.

paragon1 posted:

I drew hangers on like 5 times in a row before getting a named character once.

This is me but for patrons. I tend to be quite lucky drawing good starting followers, but come the mid game, pulling patrons from the deck is like pulling teeth. This is less of an issue with Kate, who has possibly the best mundane job in the game, but without patrons funds are much tighter.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Did they nerf painting?
Painting with notoriety was an explosive money-maker as long as you were ready to negate a hunter.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regallion posted:

Did they nerf painting?
Painting with notoriety was an explosive money-maker as long as you were ready to negate a hunter.

The latest update did nerf painting. It is now much harder to consistently earn money with it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Regallion posted:

Did they nerf painting?

They did nerf painting (See Mechanics update 5, future proofing!), but only recently, and I haven't played with it enough to really grasp how badly. It certainly worked as a money maker until the nerf, but I'm not a huge fan of the ocean of mystique it has a tendency to generate, so I always prefer to move to patronage for sustenance as early as possible.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think basically you need to use passion more. that's pretty much it. i think i've gotten more money out of it following the change, but that's a) because i rarely paint with less than 2 passion and b) probably entirely anecdotal.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Reveilled posted:

They did nerf painting (See Mechanics update 5, future proofing!), but only recently, and I haven't played with it enough to really grasp how badly. It certainly worked as a money maker until the nerf, but I'm not a huge fan of the ocean of mystique it has a tendency to generate, so I always prefer to move to patronage for sustenance as early as possible.

It's still a useful moneymaker in the early/midgame, but yeah - once you get a patron or two and some decent lores, that should really be your main source of income.

... More on that when the LP gets there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Page 71

Dear Diary,

Last night, I passed the White Door, into the Mansus proper. This is a door traditionally walked only by the dead, and I am one of but a few in history to pass its arch with a beating heart. As I stepped through, I felt my voice rip from my throat, and my dreamed pen turned to snow in my grasp and blew away. My breath was cold as I gazed upon the Mansus. I felt so small as its infinity stretched beyond and behind me. Just beyond the door, I saw what appared to be the spirit of a woman, moving about as if searching for someone. She called out, but no sound escaped her lips. She tried to wipe frozen tears as I drew closer, and then looked up, my eyes meeting hers. My breath turned to solid ice in my lungs, and the shock ejected me from the dream as I gasped for frost-blocked air. I awoke, gasping and clutching my throat.

Lydia. I saw Lydia, in the House without Walls.

--

The dark chill of my dream followed me to work, and as I absentmindedly tended to charts and medications, a fear began to gnaw at me. Lydia was seeking something similar to me. She wanted to be more than she was, and now, here was Lydia, one of the wretched dead, searching in vain for her dying wish, to be reunited with her father's spirit. Is that what awaits us all? Awaits Cat? Awaits me, if I fail?

On my way home, I stopped in at Morland's. Desperate for some warmth to ward off this icy feeling, I bought a book directly about fire, and a history of a world in flames.

Cat awaited me as I arrived home. We ate in relative silence as I stewed in my unspoken fear. As if she sensed it, she embraced me from behind, as she likes to do, as I cleaned our plates. I put my brush down, and turned to return the affection.

I leaned forward to kiss her, but gently, she placed her finger on my lips. "No," she said, "First, always, we talk."

And so we did, for hours. I shared my dream, my sighting of Lydia, my fears, my dread. And each time, Cat listened and asked more questions, helped me question myself. She lifted my spirits, and I have much now to think about.

Tonight, no mansus dreams. Just happier memories.

Page 72

Dawn felt brighter this morning. Colours are more vivid. I have Cat to thank for lifting me from despair. I owe her so much, someday I think I might owe her everything.

It has been a few days since Douglas began looking into us once again, but thanfully it seems his efforts have been in vain. Victor and Elridge report back that he has been called on to other cases.

"No time like the present, then", I said, pulling out the map to Lord Strathcoyne's townhouse. "We failed once before. Don't fail us again."

I would not be participating directly this time, of course. Two lowlifes burgling a manor, if caught might seem unremarkable. Not so if there's a woman of letters in the party. And in any case, it will be interesting to see how they work on their own.

In the meantime, I began reading the works I purchased yesterday. The history text had so many pages ripped out or smeared with black ink there was barely anything to actually read, so at least it didn't take long. But the book did tell a story of a certain Inn where the Longs once met to discuss their plans to forge their pact.

As I finished the slim volume, a Knock on the door. No immediate entry, so neither Neville nor Enid. I opened it to find Elridge and Victor, out of breath, bruised, but very much alive. And carrying such wonderous things.

Five books, I picked through each in turn.

First, a history "novel". I'm impressed my Elridge and Victor recognised this for what it was. I look forward to this one, teasing the truth from fancy.

Next, a journal of a scholar of Fucine, the language which is to Latin as Latin is to English. Latin is a language dead, but Fucine is a dead language of a dead people from a now-dead lake. The tongue of witches, I hear it is said, though that seems like a deliberate misunderstanding of the role of their goddess Angitia. Whatever the case, a grounding in Fucine may help with later texts.

Another work by Hersault, which sounds interesting, but the subject matter is so old I am unsure if any of the places he will descibe within will still exist in the modern Mansus.

This one's new. Theresa Galmier is the author, apparently, and it seems to be a relatively recent print, unlike the other works. This is Volume 4, and I won't be making the same mistake I did with Travelling At Night. I'll keep this until I have the other volumes. Speaking of Travelling at Night, though...

This is what we came for. If the other volumes are any indication, this will take me deeper still into the Mansus. Though the lands around the White Door remain to be explored, I see no real reason not to push as deep as I can.

Page 72+i

Page 73

It is a shame I cannot record my thoughts past the white door, it may make for a rather sad gap in the Mansus pages of this volume. Last night, I journeyed to the Orchard. The entire experience of the areas beyond the White Door troubles me still. Not with terror as a few nights ago, but there is a ever present vulnerability I feel while there, even if the knowledge is worth the risk. Last night I did see a lodge, nestled in the hills above the orchard. Perhaps that is safer, so I shall focus my attention there, should I make a return to the White Door soon.

I say that, because I have completed my reading of Travelling at Night. This I believe to be the last volume. I can find another way into the Mansus via the Stag Door, all I must do is provide my purpose as I dream, and that drive will guide me there. Then, I must simply answer a riddle to pass beyond.

"Baldomera", though...that name, it sounds familiar. I'll consult my encyclopedias.

I found this under the entry for "Patron Saints":

An Encyclopedia posted:

Baldomerus (also called Waldemar, Baldomer, Galmier): Locksmiths, toolmakers"

Well now, that can't be a coincidence. Fascinating.

Until tonight, I shall busy myself with other things. I made some time for Enid tonight. We met in a smokey little club, and as the piano played in the background we began discussing her dreams. They were interesting, of course, though of no matter sufficient to warrant recording in this diary.

As we chatted and drank, we found ourselves in the company of a Madam Bechet, editor of the Kerisham review.

As we got to talking, she mentioned she was looking for a freelance writer to provide occasional articles for the magazine. I expressed an interest, and she requested something of a test article, a simple overview of my knowledge of the works of the Forge.

"Don't worry" she said, "You don't have to come to Kerisham. Just leave it at the London office." I felt relived, though I wasn't entirely sure why.

Page 74

And so last night I dreamt of the Stag Door.

Illopoly reported that the door's name is Ghirbi. To find it, I meditated on my desires in the Wood, until I could feel the pull, guiding me there. Down long, winding paths I went.

Then I stood, before The Door. With confidence, I asked for the riddle, confident I could puzzle out any enigma. After all, I have a Doctorate in Medicine! At Oxford! What possible difficulty could a little wordplay present?

Hours and Hours I spent, making guesses. All "wrong" apparently. On a coin? No. In a hive? No. On a chessboard? No. On a playing card? No. I argued, fruitlessly, that all of these answers met the criteria of queens who are not born. I accused the door of being terrible at riddles. Eventally the door tired of me, and snapped that the queen who was not born was a real person, and I can pass only if I Know the answer, not by just guessing. I remember the anger as it built up in me, I think I nearly popped a blood vessel. I awoke, screaming "THAT'S NOT HOW A RIDDLE WORKS!" And I hope that bl--dy door heard it before I faded from its sight.

It seems I'll need to spend a while longer at The White Door after all. Bl--dy ridiculous, this is.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Mechanics Update 8

We're past the White Door, and finally into the actual Mansus. The White Door is a tricky place to source things from, but very useful if you know what you're looking for. From the door itself, we can obtain Fourth-Magnitude Secret Histories, and Sixth-Magnitude histories from the other two locations. This is a generally ascending pattern as we travel up the Mansus--at the Stag Door we can get Sixths and Eights, for example. The Lodge of the Sage Knight can impart Avancement cards (Glimmering and Erudition) as well as the special card "A Favour from Authority", which is literally the Get Out of Jail Free card. The two locations also have a chance of giving either Fascination or a Lantern Influence (which decays to Fascination), and the door itself has a 2/3rds chance of offering an influence which will decay to Dread (restlessness or Icy Atmosphere). If you need Dread to defeat Fascination, this makes the White Door your best friend, but if you're looking for other stuff these cards can prove awkward at an inopportune moment.

Speaking of those cards...

Here's the first time I think the dread mechanic has come up in the narrative. Time Passing will spawn the Season of Despair periodically. When it spawns, it will hoover up one dread card from the Tableau, or any newly generated dread card that appears in the sixty seconds the Season of Despair is active. It will disappear if it can't find one. If it does find one, however, the Season of Dispair will stick around, sucking up Dread as it appears. As the picture says, get to 3 Dread and it's game over. If you feed the season of despair Contentment cards, it removes 1 dread from the counter, and will vanish at zero. Leaving behind a Fleeting Reminiscence, which is usually left behind whenever memories are destroyed by combination.

Romance provides these little memory cards, which we can dream on to split apart. Pleasant Memories give contentment, others give different moods.

Incidentally, the exact same thing as what's happening with the Dread happens with the Season of Visions, for Fascination. The difference for Fascination is that it is defeated by Dread, or by Fleeting Reminiscences.

And I suppose this is as good a time as any to mention the big exploit. I'm going to put this in spoilers just because if you're the sort of player who will feel tempted to use exploits as soon as you know about them, I want to give you the choice whether to find out if you don't already know. Here goes:
Magnetic slots will suck up any card which is on the tableau. It will even suck cards out of other actions, if they're not attached to a magnet slot. You can sometimes hide cards inside actions as previously mentioned for reputation and painting, but sometimes there's just this one card you can't afford to let go of, you know? Well, if you don't want to let go of a card, just don't let go. Magnet slots cannot suck a card you are physically holding onto with the mouse. In this case I let the dread drop into Despair because I had a contentment kicking around and needed to show the mechanic. But I could have simply held onto the card and let the timer run down to zero, never gaining the mark of despair in the first place. This is super useful for all sorts of things. Investigator pops when you have one notoriety? Just grab the notoriety whenever the clock trips over, and the hunter will take mystique instead. You can even hold onto a card while doing other things, just pause, drop the card, do the things, grab it again before unpausing.

Some choose to interpret this as being the equivalent of devoting your full attention to a task, and consider it perfectly acceptable, others see it essentially as cheating. Perhaps each is correct, in different histories.

On the topic of history, we picked up our first Furtive Truth, which will let us find expeditions elsewhere in Britain. We'll be taking an excursion to a lovely pub in the countryside next update.

We also get our first Patron. No, Sulochana doesn't count, okay? Patrons offer commissions, which we can complete using the work action. We use lore and either Reason or Passion depending on the topic to produce a manuscript, then turn that in for money that's partially imaginary, and then at the ATM Auction House we can exchange that partially imaginary money for real money. Just like how it works today! We'll see this at work next time.

Our expedition to Strathcoyne's was successful this time, and we got book 3 of Travelling at Night, that explains how to get to the Stag door. We need to dream with our desire.

But in order to go through, we need to answer the Stag Door's "riddle". Essentially this requires you to provide a randomly chosen sixth-magnitude lore to pass and become a Know. This particular one needs Secret Histories, so we'll be dipping the White Door over and over until we pull one out of the Lodge or the Orchard. In fairness to Ghirbi, it's believed that before he was made into a door, he was one of the first humans to ever breach the mansus way back in pre-historic times, so the concept of a riddle might not have been very rigorously defined back then.

It shouldn't take too long to get what we need.

Next time: You don't like cider? There's Know accounting for taste.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I always found it kind of odd that there's a plain Fucine book here. It's one of the occult languages, which by most other means require you to already know one of the ancient languages to learn them. There's even a Fucine book elsewhere in the game that needs to translated from Latin first to learn the Fucine. So being able to pick up the language from a book from a bottom-tier expedition seems a bit out of place?
I read that Fucine is based on the actual language Marsian, spoken by the Marsi people of ancient italy and I think it might have been of interest to historical occultists. But they changed the name because even Google would go "wait, did you mean Martian?".

Fun fact about Illopoly and the Baldomerian: You showed last update that there are special occult paintings, one for each aspect. There exists one for Secret Histories too, even though there is no Secret Histories dye so you can't get it legitimately in the game. It's a scribbly picture of Christopher and Theresa kissing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean i guess there's a chance that might have happened in a very secret history

the "exploit", incidentally, is fully intended by game designers. that doesn't mean it's something you need to play with, of course

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i mean i guess there's a chance that might have happened in a very secret history

the "exploit", incidentally, is fully intended by game designers. that doesn't mean it's something you need to play with, of course

I've seen that said a few times but I've never actually seen a source for it, usually just "oh, somewhere in one of the developer updates". I've always been a little sceptical because it takes the game from being moderately challenging to trivially easy.

That said, I did open the LP by calling the main developer Alexis "Great Writing, Questionable Gameplay" Kennedy, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised if it was intentional.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 8, 2019

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I got my first proper victory because of this thread motivating me OP. Thanks

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Reveilled posted:

I've seen that said a few times but I've never actually seen a source for it, usually just "oh, somewhere in one of the developer updates". I've always been a little sceptical because it takes the game from being moderately challenging to trivially easy.

That said, I did open the LP by calling the main developer Alexis "Great Writing, Questionable Gameplay" Kennedy, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised if it was intentional.

My exposure to the game so far is this LP, but this feels like... how to put it. "Even if this wasn't intentional at the start, it's intentional at this point otherwise it would've been removed in a patch." I think covers it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect it was an intentional decision to have magnet slots not take cards from your hand because that would be confusing and frustrating, and the potential to use it to protect a card was just an acceptable side effect of the design decision.

It doesn't work so well in the mobile version where you need to use the same hand to pause.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's quirks like holding cards or painting things or talking about things that makes the game feel a little more dynamic and interactive to me. It gives a weird sense of mastery.

I now sometimes find myself doodling about in CS in the same way I might start a new Dark Souls character. An expression and flexing of a (pointless video game) skill.

Also props on making a coherent narrative around the run, Reveilled.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I sort of like the pseudo-excuse of the exploit being "you dedicating your full attention to a task" so I'll allow it :v:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gridlocked posted:

I got my first proper victory because of this thread motivating me OP. Thanks

Congratulations! Good luck now on becoming a Name. :)

Eopia posted:

My exposure to the game so far is this LP, but this feels like... how to put it. "Even if this wasn't intentional at the start, it's intentional at this point otherwise it would've been removed in a patch." I think covers it.

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect it was an intentional decision to have magnet slots not take cards from your hand because that would be confusing and frustrating, and the potential to use it to protect a card was just an acceptable side effect of the design decision.

It doesn't work so well in the mobile version where you need to use the same hand to pause.

Yeah, I could buy either of those explanations, it also strikes me as possible that there's something deeply hardcoded about the way that actually picking up and moving cards works that maybe it's not as easy as one would think to have the game grab stuff out of your hand. In any case, I do make use of it, even if I feel slightly guilty every time.

Tylana posted:

Also props on making a coherent narrative around the run, Reveilled.

Thanks!

I'll hopefully have another update this weekend, to take us past the Stag Door and begin open season on spoilery stuff.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of like the pseudo-excuse of the exploit being "you dedicating your full attention to a task" so I'll allow it :v:

Agreed, that was my internal reasoning too; plus when you hold Notoriety in your hand, you're literally withholding evidence!
Spoiler since Reveilled did and I probably said the questionable mechanic in a guessable way there.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Yes, definitely hang on to those books until you have the opportunity to talk to their author about them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Page 76

Dear Diary,

I find the experience of exploring via the White Door intensely frustrating. I had assumed that speech not passing the door was figurative, at first. Soon after, I made the assumption that it was merely literal, and that textual communication would be possible. Of course, as my first trip taught me, the Mansus is not fond of loopholes, and sees writing as a speech of sorts. My previous exploration of the Orchard did not make this an issue, but last night, I met someone at the Lodge I had seen on the hill.

Of course, I knew quickly this woman was Baldomera, Theresa Galmier, but I could say nothing to her, at all. At least the problem did not go both ways. She is the first thinking being I have interacted with in the Mansus (that door does not count), and I desire to know so much more about her. I think I can see why she allured Illopoly so.

I dwelt a little on the secrets I have learnt from Illopoly. Ancient Persia seems the source for much of the earliest Forge lore, and so by archaeology of that shining Empire, we might delve deeper into the Forge's more esoteric mysteries. Per Madame Bechet's request, I compiled this theory into an article for her magazine.

With nothing else to do today, I headed down to the dockside offices of the Kerisham Review in Wapping to turn in my work. "Offices" turned out to be something of a misnomer; The Review occupies one floor of a modest pre-war commercial house, the sort designed for privately practicing Lawyers and Accountants. When the lift opened on the fourth floor, the space itself was bare and empty. On the far end of this building-sized room sat a single closed in space. The window on the door was glass blackened dark as obsidian, with "Olympe Bechet, Editor" in gold lettering upon it. I knocked, and entered when invited.

The inside was decorated like an old-fashioned village front room, with little souveniers here and there, a rug, some chairs around a fireplace, a writing bureau in the corner the only concession to the expected features of an editor's office. "A little bit of Kerisham I've brought with me", she explained. As she spoke, I could almost swear there was a faint crashing of a wave. I shivered.

I handed over my article, and waited a few minutes as she skimmed the contents. Finally, she set it down, and looked at me, almost predatorially. I wondered for a moment if this might be how others feel when I call them to the Mirror. She smiled, with a hint of teeth. "I think I made a good choice. Yes, this will do nicely." She reached into a drawer and from it handed me a small iron coin.

I turned it over in my hand, a little bewildered. This wasn't what I'd expected in the way of payment. "Is this your first time, dear?" Olympe giggled, as I blushed. She explained that I could expect payment in these coins from any of the many patrons of the invisible arts. Many spirits demand payment for their services when summoned, and seldom do they accept pounds or francs. She further mentioned that, if I had no use for the coin, I might sell it for currency more mundane.

Just as I was about to leave, there was a knock at the door, and for a brief moment, I felt panic set in. I had heard the police were looking into the fire at Strathcoyne's home. Was I followed? Had I led the inspector straight here?

The man who entered, thankfully, was not Douglas. Olympe introduced us, telling this man that I was the person she had wanted him to meet.
"She's a doctor too, you know." She said, giggling again.

Dr al-Adim explained he too shared an interest in secret truths, and had for "some time". I gathered it would not be prudent to pry on how long that was.

Both Olympe and the good Doctor offered me new commissions, and sent me on my way. al-Adim seems a straightfoward if not exactly friendly sort. Madame Bechet though...let's just say I hope she never invites me over for dinner.

I made a detour via Oriflamme's on my way home, just in time to catch the weekly numismatic auction and offer my pay for bidding. The item attracted only a few bids, but nonetheless I was taken aback by final price.

Two week's wages from a simple article. My new commissions are heftier and may require research, but from what I gather the pay works out to be at least four times higher. I think, at last, this might be it--I can finally quit my job.

Page 77

I spent more time in the Lodge last night. Being there seems oddly peaceful, at odds with the depressing nature of the Mansus' cold landscape around the White Door. Much like any alpine lodge, I suppose. I don't clearly remember much of the dream last night, I feel like I learned something but can't quite put my finger on what.

Regardless, I certainly learned much yesterday. I took time this morning to collect those thoughts into notes, and then those notes into something more substantive. Hopefully they will be of interest to scholars in future times.

I met Enid and Neville today for lunch. Rather than dreams, this time we talked of some more mundane concerns. It seems Enid's husband is not fond of her morning and evening disappearances. It is placing a strain on their relationship. I nodded and sympathised, but suggested as gently as I could that sacrifices are always needed to attain spiritual greatness. I placed a hand on her shoulder, looked into her eyes, and told her not to worry. After all, if he's a good man, he'll understand.

Afterward, I mentioned that was interested in looking into the places mentioned in the War of the Roads, and suggested we spend the afternoon at the British Library to see if we could nail down locations by cross-referencing maps and such.

Hours we spent, poring over OS maps, checking history book after history book. Ultimately Enid found the clue we needed, in A Geological Survey of the South Wales Coalfields, there, on a map, was a town called Gwaer Cock southeast of Port Talbot. All our other maps marked this town as Bridgend. A name from another history? I asked Enid what had spurred her to pull a book on geology. She smiled and shrugged. I gave her a hug. "Every day," I said, "I am thankful you were sent to me. Please, don't ever forget that."

We agreed to begin the expedition with as little delay as possible, and agreed to meet at Paddington tomorrow morning for the first train to Cardiff. I asked Neville to advise Elridge and Victor that their services would be needed.

From there we parted ways. Wanting to get a little light reading for the train, I stopped by Morland's on the way home, picking up a new book. It's in Greek, so translation should prove a good diversion on the journey.

As I got to the tube station, I saw a man on a soapbox, yelling to the uninterested passers by about damnation this, and holy light that. A typical preacher, or so I thought at first. As we passed by, he rambled on and on, but one phrase caught my ear: "God's glory does not hide in the walls of a church". Hello there.

I whispered a secret in his ear. He stared into my eyes, and I returned the look, trying not to blink. Then slowly, I held out my hand.

Later, as we stood in the Mithraeum, he told me he had heard that secret once before, from a saint in a dream. He asked me who I was.

"Catherine Ravenhurst" I said. "Kate is fine". I knew that for him it wouldn't be.

Page 78

Paddington Station, 5:40am

I realise I am fortunate to lead a cult with a dawn ritual, if only because it makes people more likely to be up in time to catch trains. Everyone made it with plenty of time to spare. I would have started a cult years ago had I realised this would be a fringe benefit.

I have purchased a first class booth for the six of us travelling (myself, Cat, Enid, Victor, Elridge and Neville). Expensive, but the privacy will be necessary.

Bristol, 8:30am

The train makes a brief stop in Bristol, to pick up passengers and to give time for breakfast to be served before we go through the Severn Tunnel. I've skimmed through On What is Contained By Silver, it appears to be an alphabetised list of "fictional" creatures, likely mansus spirits given form. It has various snippets of information on each creature, weaknesses, resistances. It is a formulaic structure, which means it will require far less translation work than I'd first thought. Academically interesting, but hardly engrossing.

I think I will save the text itself for tonight. Luckily, I brought one of my other books just in case. A slim volume, but it should see me through the remainder of the train journey.

Just outside Newport, 10:30am

They've stopped the train. They haven't told us why.

Just outside Newport, 10:45am

Apparently, there are leaves on the line. That's why we're not moving. Leaves!

Just outside Newport, 11:00am

Dear Diary, did you know that "leaves on a train line significantly increase the stopping distance of a train in the event of an emergency and therefore present an unacceptable danger to the safety of passengers and that's why we're not moving, Miss"? I didn't. Apparently that's my fault.

Newport 11:30am

We are moving again. At last! If I am successful in my quest for immortality, I think the thing I am most looking forward to in the future is the day when leaves on the line being an insurmountable obstacle will be but a quaint and humorous notion.

Near Cardiff 12:30

I've finished this text. I didn't expect it to take nearly so long, but the technical details of the ritual contained within required more concentration than I could muster while stressing about our transfer at Cardiff, which I think we will make--just. While certainly interesting as a concept, I believe this rite to be too dangerous to directly make use of for the forseeable future. My followers are too few in number to sacrifice, and abductions would be...problematic. Still, something to consider further back in London.

Cardiff 1:00pm

So much for the plan to have a nice lunch in Cardiff before transferring trains. Instead, replace that with a mad dash for the train to Port Talbot which we just barely managed to achieve. Elridge nearly got his boot caught in the door as the platform conductor slammed it shut behind us. I hope the Inn we're going to rob does food.

Bridgend (Gwaer Cock) 1:30pm

Here we are. The village itself is about three miles inland, and we know the Inn is on the coast. We are suitably attired as ramblers, so our intent here is to take in a little hillwalking, find the inn, and check in for the night under assumed names. And then find the hidden library under cover of darkness.

Gwaer Inn 9:00pm

We've found the inn and rented rooms. I confess I was expecting a sleepy little building with one or two beds. But no, Gwaer Inn is a converted Manor, a huge castle-like construction, with many rooms for guests. Many ramblers and holidaymakers are staying here, which will make our own arrival inconspicuous, I hope. Cat and I will stay the night in the rooms we've procured--I hope that by sleeping in a place of history, I might learn the deeper story I need. Cat will keep watch to maintain our cover as best we can. Meanwhile the other four will try to find the Library.

Before sleep, I have worked my way through Poemander's folio of fiends. I am not sure I have much use for the alphabetical bestiary portion of the work, but I found another rite in the appendix. Unlike the other, this one seems to revolve aorund the sacrifice of knowledge, another resource I must jealously guard, but certainly slightly more practical.

Typical, however, that I should wait so long to learn a rite and then two come along at once.

Page 78+i

Page 79

I awoke, full of excitement. I am now one night away from revelation, I can scarcely wait to get back to London. Alone in the room, I edged the door open to check the corridor. No one there. Moving up, Cat's door opened also, and with a tired voice she reported no disturbance through the night. The Inn was apparently none the wiser to the nocturnal acitivies, but there was no sign of our companions.

As we had agreed in this situation, Cat and I made the journey back to Bridgend station. The village, too, was quiet, and we began to worry that perhaps our friends had been captured, or worse.

Finally, just as the train came visible in the distance, arrived our companions, running with a stack of books. They reached the platform just in time, and we were off, bound once again for London.

They shared the story while I perused the treasures.

Four books in languages I don't speak, and one book of a language I wish I didn't. I know which one of these is going straight to the auction house.

Back safely in London by evening, I set about preparing for tonight. I found Clifton in the Mithraeum, apparently he has been praying there since the day before last, hoping for my safe return. He alternates between addressing me as Saint Catherine, Saint Hypatia, and "My Sunlight". There's a lot of potential in him, I think. More than anyone else but Cat. And while I would never wish to disentangle myself from my love, there is an advantage in having someone so useful from whom I can remain detached.

In any case, I spent the final hours before bed mentally reciting the secrets imparted by Theresa last night. Tonight, I will breach the Stag Door, and account myself a Know.

Page 79+i

I am here. I speak the words before the door, and with visible disappointment it swings slowly open. I step through and oh--

Now I Know. Now I Know. Now I Know What I Have To Do.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Mechanics Update 9

We're In the Know

OK, I know I've been pretty loose with the "no spoilers" policy anyway, but this the point the gloves officially come off. Anything is now fair game to discuss in the thread, with just a few caveats: Stuff from the Apostle, and DLC legacies should go in spoiler tags, with a note accompanying whether they're Apostle, Dancer, Priest or Ghoul. This is partly for my benefit since I haven't had a chance to play Priest or Ghoul yet, so it's helpful if I know in advance if the thing in spoiler tags is Apostle or Dancer related or if I need to avoid it.

The only thing I ask you not talk about at all is the detailed specifics of the endgame rite. For example, what happens when the rite begins. I'm going to cover the basics in this post, and for anyone reading the LP without playing the game, that's all I want them to know.

With that, on to the mechanics update!

We met a second patron this update. Like Sulochana, al-Adim is notable for not having the mortal aspect on his card, suggesting he is a Long, someone who has passed the Tricuspid Gate and ascended to the glory, granting him immortality. That's our win condition too, incidentally. al-Adim is also notable for being an actual real person:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Adim

Now that we have two patrons, we can theoretically work commissions infinitely. At this point we're basically going to stop going to our regular job. We'll keep working commissions in the background, and money will cease to be an issue for us. Simple commisions grant an Iron Spintria, Substantial ones grant Bronze, and Very Substatial, Silver. Gold Spintria can drop as random loot. Their primary use is in paying for tutors (the patrons can each teach a language, but demand payment in turn), repairing some tools, and ingredients for rites. Mostly though, you sell them for real money. Or at least, the money that buys food.

Iron Spintria sell for 2 Funds, Bronze for 4, Silver for 8 and Gold for 16. There's a small chance each time you auction one that the crowd finds it exciting and you get more (as happened here), so that's nice.

We levelled up our scholarship too. Ultimately I want to make upgrading lore as easy as possible, and we haven't done that yet (soon!), but to upgrade high level lantern lores, it will be easier if I've maxed out both painting and scholarship in specific ways.

An expedition was undertaken to Gwaer Inn this time. See the next post for the weird rabbit hole I stumbled into while writing about that, it deserves its own post.

*deep breath*

We also read some books which taught us our first Rites! Here's how a rite works:

All rites but one have four slots. A lore slot, a desire slot (optional, ignore this for the moment) and two other slots which are two of either Follower/Prisoner, Influence, Ingredient or Tool. So different objects are used in different rites. Both of the rites we found accept a Lore, a Follower/Prisoner, and a tool. We can't use an influence in these rites, which is a bummer because they're the easiest things to consistently farm. And farming is important for rites because all rites consume a resource. The Watchman's Sorrow will consume whatever lore we put into it, which is like, oof at the start of the mid game. Technically we're never going to need most of these lores, but like, you never know right? Meanwhile the other rite is probably worse, since it consumes a person. If that's a named follower, they're dead. You can acquire prisoners via abduction by asking grail cultists to seduce people and lead them back to HQ, but doing this produces notoriety, bad.

What do rites do?

So, I don't know if maybe this will be a controversial opinion, but I think the answer is "not much". The primary use of a rite is to summon something. You might have noticed in some of the lores I've shown, they contain little instructions about summoning things. Summons are particularly useful for dealing with hunter related stuff that can get regular cultists instantly disappeared or injured, e.g. trying to destroy evidence, or assassinating a hunter. The really big ones can also teach you languages. And that's...kind of it. You can send them on expeditions where they'll perform better than a follower most of the time, but then what's the point in having followers? That's certainly a valid and cool strategy to do with summons (a no-cult run), but I don't have much interest in doing it in a normal game. I've got these bodies, might as well use them. I will be making use of summons much later in the game where I have a bunch of notoriety to clear and not enough time to do it.

You can also mess about with your stats a bit using rites. I think I'll be doing this at least once during the LP, so we'll cover that in due time.

But there is one more thing a rite is used for: Winning the Game.

So how do you win this game?

Remember when I said to ignore desire? Well, now it's relevant. To win the game, we'll dream with our Dedication card, the stag door, and a powerful lore to transform it to an Ascension. This initiates what I'd consider the game's endgame, in that the sensible thing to do is to do this part last after you have all the other pieces, as it creates a sort of timer. Before, the season of ambition gave us restlessness, but now it will upgrade our desire card, if we can feed it a particular resource (I'm not going to mention what it is for Lantern yet). Doing so will add a mark on the card, and we start at three (failing will remove a mark from the card). Once we have six marks on the card, we place the desire card into the slot along with thirty six points worth of Lantern aspect to complete the ritual and win the game.

At first this can seem like an impossible task, but depending on your luck and the things you're willing to do, this can actually be surprisingly easy.

But in order to even start down that path, we need to pass the Stag Door.

As mentioned last time, the answer to the Stag Door's Riddle is found in Secret History. We need a Forgotten Chronicle to present the answer, which we can get from the White Door. The fastest way to get this is from the Orchard, where the draw chance is one in four. The draw chance from the Lodge is one in six, but I wanted to showcase some of Theresa Galmier, since I find her rather interesting.

Once you have it, it is a simple matter of dreaming, and we're through. The Stag Door can give us Sixth and Eighth magnitude histories, and we'll be gobbling those up from now on.

Next Time: They say Vienna's lovely this time of year

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Reveilled goes mad Update 1

Now, we all know you can play Cultist Simulator and learn to talk like a cultist, but what about researching Cultist Simulator?

After the Mithraeum turned out to be a real place, I wanted to know if the same was true of Gwaer Inn. I mean, probably not, right? The Mithraeum is famous, but some random inn? Well, because I was curious, I decided to google the word Gwaer. Come with me on a freaky loving journey.

Search the word Gwaer on google and you find some websites for transport to and hotels in "Gwaer Cock".

But search for "Gwaer Cock" or Gwear on Google maps, and there's no result! That's odd.

If you actually look up the hotels listed as being in "Gwaer Cock", they're in totally random locations in South Wales, miles and miles apart.

Buses and other websites which list Gwear Cock as a location for often list it as being a place called Bridgend about halfway between Cardiff and Port Talbot. So is Gwaer Cock Bridgend?

You might think so, BUT if you search for Gwaer Cock on google (not google maps) you also find GPS coordinates from US military intelligence that list Gwaer Cock as being at 51°31'11.0"N 3°42'20.0"W, which is not in Bridgend but actually in a village nearby called North Cornelly despite no place I can see on the map of North Cornelly having a name that sounds anything like Gwaer Cock.

However, there are two other things to consider when assessing North Cornelly as a candidate for Gwaer Inn's location. First, the description of Gwaer Inn is described as being on a "crumbling cliff", and there is no cliff near to North Cornelly. But there is a cliff about three miles south of Bridgend, pretty much the only real cliff around. And you Know what what that cliff is called?

Witches point. Yep, you know what's coming. You know what Google Translate (incorrectly, I'm pretty sure) says gwaer means in Welsh (and only if typed in lower case)?

Sister. I'm not even loving kidding. Sister Inn, Witches Point. So, the location of Gwaer Inn is on Witches Point above the Bristol Channel (which is notably silty, giving the water a grey-blue colour as mentioned in the description).

Thought we were done? NOPE. Turns out, there was a building on Witches Point in real life in this period! Dunraven Castle, whose owner in the early 1920s was Windham Wyndham-Quin, 4th Earl of Dunraven and Mount-Earl, who was notable for writing Experiences in Spiritualism with Mr D. D. Home in 1871, a catalogue of reports on seances he conducted with the famous medium Daniel Dunglas Home. He died in 1926, around the vague timeframe the game is set in, so it is plausible that the reason the library would be closed now to visiting scholars is that his cousin, who inherited the estate, did not share the previous Earl's occult interests.

And it's a bit out of period, but after WWII Dunraven Castle was actually used as a guest house. Like the Mithraeum, Gwaer Inn is also a real place.

I swear, I am not making this up. What the gently caress is this poo poo. How did these pins and red ribbons get in my hands.

I remember that there is apparently an ARG connected to Cultist Simulator. There's a Bird/Worm toggle in the options that apparently starts it if you go digging in the game files. Did I stumble into the ARG somehow? That seems like a possible reason there's an translation of Gwaer in google translate that I can't find in any other work, But I do vaguely recall that Google uses OCR from google books so maybe something has gone wonky there. As I understand it the correct word for sister is chwaer, and google suggests only this if you translate in the other direction.

Anyway, Gwaer Inn/Dunraven Castle was bulldozed in the 1960s, though some remnants of the old building and gardens still remain, and the grounds are open to visitors for free. If you ever visit, spare a thought for Reveilled, who went insane to bring you these secrets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like this idea you're developing re: the Stag Door that even in an extradimensional, even metaphysical universe of the mind, there can be annoying jackasses.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate that the character who is interested in commissions for Secret Histories is one that exists in our own history.

And holy poo poo all that stuff about Gwaer Inn. Just how much research went into this game?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Reveilled goes mad Update 1

I realise I am fortunate to lead a cult with a dawn ritual, if only because it makes people more likely to be up in time to catch trains. Everyone made it with plenty of time to spare. I would have started a cult years ago had I realised this would be a fringe benefit.

I've been a board member in a non-profit for 5 years. I would start a cult in an instant if I thought it would get people to show up on time.

If you have time, could you do a quick AAR for Lydia as a side update? I'm curious to find out what went wrong, and I love your style of writing.

Also thanks for finding out about the inn!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm glad your putting together a narrative for this game, as I bounce off it hard.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I too am enjoying the narrative take; I played the game, but seeing a story developed a bit further beyond the scraps of actions is lovely
And freaking wow at the research here, thankyou for showing off what you found

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You forgot one rite.

Specifically, the Beautiful Ending you can ask the Sun-in-Rags for, which kills a random person.

I murdered one of my patrons with it and never used it again.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You forgot one rite.

Specifically, the Beautiful Ending you can ask the Sun-in-Rags for, which kills a random person.

I murdered one of my patrons with it and never used it again.

Can't kill yourself with it, though, which feels a bit off for an indiscriminate murder ritual.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I remember that there is apparently an ARG connected to Cultist Simulator. There's a Bird/Worm toggle in the options that apparently starts it if you go digging in the game files. Did I stumble into the ARG somehow? That seems like a possible reason there's an translation of Gwaer in google translate that I can't find in any other work, But I do vaguely recall that Google uses OCR from google books so maybe something has gone wonky there. As I understand it the correct word for sister is chwaer, and google suggests only this if you translate in the other direction.

You haven't stumbled into the ARG to the best of my knowledge as a frontliner. You have, however, stumbled into how strangely, obsessive Alexis Kennedy gets when doing his leg work. Many, many things in this game have a lot more to them than they seem at first glance. This is a super clever find, and I'm not sure even the Enigmatics in the Discord have found this particular connection. Very, very cool!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So how much game time proper does getting to the Stag Door take? Is there a reason to just wait there for a bit?

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

So how much game time proper does getting to the Stag Door take? Is there a reason to just wait there for a bit?

Anywhere from like 15 minutes to multiple hours, depending on how well you know the game and how lucky/prone to taking gambles you are.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

Getting to the Stag Door is pretty easy.

Dream with Passion to get to the Wood, dream the Wood with a tier 1 Lore of Lantern, Winter or Knock to find the White Door, dream your Temptation with a matching Lore (Lantern for Enlightenment, Grail for Sensation, Forge for Power) to turn it into a Dedication, then dream the White Door with your Dedication to find the Stag Door.

Getting through the Stag Door can be heavily dependent on luck, because you need a tier 3 (grade 6, each tier is two grades) Lore of a randomly chosen aspect to answer Ghirbi's Riddle, and it's not always immediately obvious which one he's asking for -- although like with most riddles, when you do know the answer it's almost obvious. For instance, one of the books on Secret Histories you're likely to find is titled "The Queens Of The Rivers" and one of the books that results in a tier 3 SH fragment talks about the queen who was not born and a war that was not fought. The other riddles are similar; if you don't want spoilers I recommend looking at the titles and the descriptive text of each lore fragment as you find them, the right one will have a reference that sounds similar to Ghirbi's riddle.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's worth noting that the last update made a moderately easy way to get higher-tier Lore much more tedious. Last time I played after the update, it took me about twice as long to get through the Stag Door than it usually would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the... what? the new upgrade system takes about half as long as the old one, uses less resources, allows the use of non-used-up resources, and keeps your progress if you fail

also lol at the representation of British rail