Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
MWAH-HA-HA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

That's one of the best, I hate there weren't more strips of Teodore loving with Ray.

Cause you know I ain't never go nowhere 'less they be mad sluts at that place!

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Now for contrast someone post the comic where beef has erectile dysfunction, I can’t find it

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Now for contrast someone post the comic where beef has erectile dysfunction, I can’t find it

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02262009

"Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
"I'll be on the side of the bed that isn't carpooling to Comic-Con." is like the best insult.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's a little sad that Molly comes off as most "voiced" and authentic when the emotion she's channelling is disdain. Like, whenever Onstad tried to write her just chilling out with Teodor or something, it would come off a little hollow, maybe, but when she's mad at Beef for not paying the water bill? Rings with the note of life.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
WE CANNOT FEED A MAN IN WHOSE PANTS HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm sorry little dude

I'm sorry that I straight up roasted your ding dong

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Android Blues posted:

It's a little sad that Molly comes off as most "voiced" and authentic when the emotion she's channelling is disdain. Like, whenever Onstad tried to write her just chilling out with Teodor or something, it would come off a little hollow, maybe, but when she's mad at Beef for not paying the water bill? Rings with the note of life.

And when she hangs with Teodor, we only hear his thoughts.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

bony tony posted:

And when she hangs with Teodor, we only hear his thoughts.

This isn't really the case with the blogs, but I think Android Blues' point still holds. A lot of her blogs feel a little listless when they aren't taken up with stuff other characters do and say-- her own voice is pretty bare and underdeveloped. I think that old Cat+Girl strip was pretty right-on about the strengths and limitations of Onstad's writing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

This isn't really the case with the blogs, but I think Android Blues' point still holds. A lot of her blogs feel a little listless when they aren't taken up with stuff other characters do and say-- her own voice is pretty bare and underdeveloped. I think that old Cat+Girl strip was pretty right-on about the strengths and limitations of Onstad's writing.

You and I must share a brain because I swear to god 95% of the times I read through a comics discussion thread and think "I have something to add!" I continue to scroll and here you are having said it. Anyway, here's the strip you're referring to, for the two people in this thread that haven't been reading webcomics since the dark ages:

I don't agree with it but I get the sentiment. And yes, the Achewood blogs are excellent. Even at the time, I couldn't believe he was doing a regular strip and blogs (that interwove with the strip, even) in several distinct, well-defined voices.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean... Tina, though

Tina's trashy but it's never portrayed in a disdainful way, really

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In the same way you can enjoy Venture Bros., you can enjoy Achewood.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tina is both awful and an absolutely dead-on portrait of a sort of person that exists.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Speaking of the blogs, someone on reddit made a timeline of all comics and blog posts, in case you want to read everything sequentially

https://11viaverde.github.io/timeline/

They even managed to archive the original comments sections for each strip

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina is both awful and an absolutely dead-on portrait of a sort of person that exists.

I don't disagree but it feels like she primarily exists to reflect that Ray doesn't have good taste in women

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
She's a lady version of Ray

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean... Tina, though

Tina's trashy but it's never portrayed in a disdainful way, really

Except for that time Ray refers to her as "that chickenhead", I guess.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Stringent posted:

Even as she lies in repose

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I yam mantonio

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Stringent posted:

Chickenhead Mary, be not proud.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01302007

I was trying to remember the phrase "that drink's delicious, but it's not permanent" and never noticed Molly in the last frame.

it is a celebration of the english language.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Deathlove posted:

I was trying to remember the phrase "that drink's delicious, but it's not permanent" and never noticed Molly in the last frame.

I would eat the hell out of a foot-long Reuben. :yum:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Deathlove posted:

For as many years as I can remember, it has been my parents' policy that phone calls outside of daylight hours are reserved for deaths, births, or, at a minimum, significant hospitalization. Even to this day, if my phone rings at, say, 9:30pm, my mind immediately begins running through a list of the most likely possibilities.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"The sleepy gray cat has gone to help his asleep partying friend cat."

God I miss Achewood so much.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Waking up to a phone call in the middle of the night and immediately thinking a troubled sibling is dead is like... real as hell man. That’s some real poo poo. Achewood ran deep.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deathlove posted:

Molly rolls over, but the bulge in the sheets stays in the same place. Unless she's rocking wood the size of her tail, what exactly is that bulge?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that's her foot. She's still in the same position, just got a pillow on her head in the last panel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phy posted:

I think that's her foot. She's still in the same position, just got a pillow on her head in the last panel.
Agree on foot, but disagree on same position - her arm is bent forwards, because we can see the armpit, and she's facing away from Roast Beef in the earlier panels

:goonsay:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Agree on foot, but disagree on same position - her arm is bent forwards, because we can see the armpit, and she's facing away from Roast Beef in the earlier panels

:goonsay:

She's in the same position and you're being real loving weird about this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Molly rolls over, but the bulge in the sheets stays in the same place. Unless she's rocking wood the size of her tail, what exactly is that bulge?

Sorry to give you furries so much primo j/o material at work

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Boy, I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I yam mantonio

i, too, yam mantonio

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The last comic in the "two stoned nincompoops in a Volvo" arc is always a treat: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06062005

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ColdPie posted:

The last comic in the "two stoned nincompoops in a Volvo" arc is always a treat: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06062005
Clicked on that and then random comic'd into the lolcats arc that references it two years later, the internet is magic.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ColdPie posted:

talk about your lesser works of Christo

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Clicked on that and then random comic'd into the lolcats arc that references it two years later, the internet is magic.

I tried the same and it dumped me right into the middle of the Lash of Thanatos arc. Very dark magick

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I tried the same and it dumped me right into the middle of the Lash of Thanatos arc. Very dark magick

I also got put into the lash of thanatos. Ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I got Nightlife. "I got three lids out in the Hudson and enough Zig Zags to wipe God's rear end and the devil too."

Think i'mma go buy a lottery ticket.