Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Macedon is a really good choice given that it's geographically fairly small, powerful and wealthy, has easy expansion to the south and zero issues with culture etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I liked playing epirus first for similar reasons

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Macedon is a really good choice given that it's geographically fairly small, powerful and wealthy, has easy expansion to the south and zero issues with culture etc.

It also comes with a clear achievement (unite Greece) that starts with you just bullying minors, but forces you to contend with the other big boys.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I tried playing Iceni first and was pretty much lost. Rome was a far better introduction to the game.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I tried that and allied with Syracuse. Macedon and Carthage declared on us in the first year. Game over lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah Epirus was my first playthrough and they were fun. Just buddied up with Macedon, ate as many Greek minors as I could before grabbing Italy.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is it possible to mod the cultures that pops will automatically convert into? I want to make it so that (for example) Gallic people convert to Romano-Gallic people and so on and so forth, based on region and the like

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I guess this game was a flop eh. I played about 20 hours and put it down. Picked up HoI4 on sale to complete my all-modern-paradox collection and I've just been playing that, waiting for 1.1

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I think everyone's just waiting on the next patch to dive in again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Yep, waiting for 1.1...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have not played this game yet im waiting for you guys to play 1.1 and then post about it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

So I guess this game was a flop eh. I played about 20 hours and put it down. Picked up HoI4 on sale to complete my all-modern-paradox collection and I've just been playing that, waiting for 1.1

Yeah, comparing this thread to the TW thread over the same course of time has been Pretty Good.

After 1.1 I'm expecting a dead cat bounce, and maybe a year from now we'll have real activity as people decide it's Actually Good Now (We Think).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Eh, I wouldn't say I like TW3K that much more. But I know CA DLC policy. I know they'll probably make the main campaign better but not completely different. In a year we'll have more playable factions but I don't really care about that cause we already have a lot and they feel unique enough, I won't play as every faction anyway. We'll have new scenarios and those sound more interesting. Still I know that 3K main campaign I'm playing now is probably almost as good as it will get.

Meanwhile, we know that this fall Imperator will become a very different game. I love Paradox games but I don't play them that ostensibly; I've played EU4 since the day of release and have something like 600 hours in it. So in 5 years those, say, 50 hours of play I'll have with Imperator would be a blimp, an aberration, a beta. If I didn't know Imperator would change completely and 3K will stay the same I'm not sure what I'd choose. Probably still 3K cause it looks much better but I'd switch back to Imperator in a game or 2. In reality I will probably switch to CK2 or check that Stellaris is still a mindless clicker or something like that, and will come back to Imperator this fall.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No e of the paradox threads are that active. Even CK isn’t exactly lively

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CharlestheHammer posted:

No e of the paradox threads are that active. Even CK isn’t exactly lively

We usually have several posts a day in the CK2 thread. Additionally the last DLC was several months ago, and we don't know if there will be any more DLCs.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hoi4 isn't, but stellaris, ck2 and eu4 are all multi post a day threads. And this one is brand new. Pretty sad to admit because I really like the premise and mechanics of this game, but I think it's a flop for now. It's just kinda boring I guess

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I purchased the game, pre-ordered it in fact, but just can't bring myself to play it yet. Working on Anno 1800, Warhammer: TW, TW3K instead. In fact just purchased the DLC for HOI4 when it was on sale last week and am going to spin up an Italy game soon.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i think everyone heard "it's going to be so much better in june!" and thought "well, why play it now?"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

aardvaard posted:

i think everyone heard "it's going to be so much better in june!" and thought "well, why play it now?"

But this is every Paradox game at all points in time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

But this is every Paradox game at all points in time.

yes that's... the paradox

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Earwicker posted:

yes that's... the paradox

i'm not owned! i'm not owned! i continue to insist as i shrink and transform into a platypus fossil

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
I, too, bought it on release, and have barely played it.

I think it's because not very long ago, I put many hours into a CK2 run from the earliest start time to the very end, starting as a count in southern Italy, and working my way up to insert my family into the heights of the Byzantine empire, then losing it all when the Pope called a crusade on me, and having to start all over post 1000 AD, then finally pulling off both the Legacy of Rome and S.P.Q.R. achievements before time ran out. It was a seriously fun game, but took a lot of hours, and I think that sated my "Rome" gaming for awhile.

And... yeah, we all know this game will just get better. Hopefully I won't unexpectedly die anytime soon, and with a steam backlog that I seem to have barely dented in a year of unemployment, it's not like I can't wait.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My single issue is that you can't make up for lower MP income apart from buying them, and spouses/co-consuls alleviating that is part of the patch, so...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm having fun playing a Macedon game, is that allowed these days or is the game officially too lovely to enjoy until the patch? :v: (please how do I stop Phrygia from guaranteeing everyone around me? I ate all I could, Epirus, few states in the south, but now everyone is allied/guaranteed by the big yellow monster and I really don't want to go to war with them, even with low stability and losing some pieces of land to revolts, they're still way bigger and could probably curbstomp me)

jokes aside, yeah, I would not recommend it in its current state, but it's still fun to the kind of player that enjoys this kind of game (let's call it EU4 lite). With the 1.1 patch it will already be pretty good I think, if you enjoy the core loop.

Then of course we're getting 1.2 around September and 1.3 before 2019 ends apparently, I'm in for the long haul and yeah it's not like I don't have enough games to play at the moment :D

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I'm just waiting for the two consuls thing to get patched in to start my inevitable Rome run.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Addendum: not being to boost your points gain without spending a lot of cash on it in 1.0 is a big beef of mine because you pretty much need them to do anything. I really don't like sitting or just waiting on my hands without a way to solve the problem in games like this, and in situations like monarchies where you're stuck with a low stat king for a good, long while, I feel like my hands are tied for an unreasonable amount of time. Lack of points to do stuff with is bad: I don't even care if it's just me clicking buttons to convert/promote pops and not something sexy like conquering, just give me something to do during forced downtimes like truces or whatnot.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
I fully played two games of Imperator near release, and played a bunch of shorter games that hilariously imploded while trying to expand too quickly (trying for a world conquest because the achievement exists, I failed repeatedly, and then eventually gave up).

The portion of the game where you're using your armies to invade/conquer is top notch.

The portion of the game that comes immediately after making peace where you're sitting around waiting for culture to convert, waiting for aggressive expansion to lower, waiting for manpower to recover, and waiting for scroll mana in order to move/convert population is mind-numbingly agonizing. (keyword, waiting)

Eventually you just set the game down, and don't see much reason to hop back in. It's good, but it isn't "I have more I want to try" good. You either play the game the way it wants to be played, or you move on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Announced at Microsoft's press conference today, Imperator Rome is on the new PC version of xbox game pass, microsoft's subscription games service. They're also selling the first month for $1. I dunno how long the $1 promotion will last for, but a dollar to try out Imperator for a month seems like a decent deal to me. Oh, and a bunch of other random poo poo too https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass/CFQ7TTC0KGQ8/0002

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's a good collection of games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk

For us strategy game lovers there's Rise of Nations, Into the Breach, Slay the Spire. All full versions with no need to buy additional DLCs unlike similar Origins pass.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

It's a good collection of games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk

For us strategy game lovers there's Rise of Nations, Into the Breach, Slay the Spire. All full versions with no need to buy additional DLCs unlike similar Origins pass.

Generally because those are games that have no DLC. I'm assuming that you'll have to pay for any Imperator DLC still with the game pass version.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Well, RoN has an expansion.

At this point though I’ve already bought it three times and the only way I’m laying out money for a fourth is if it comes with a “2” at the end of the name.

...someone get on that oh my god

e: it’s been sixteen years :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

One of the big annoyances for me is a lot of the events say like "Johnny hates Joe! Who you you support?" But then the character pictures on the left and right are labelled like "Graparnarchusologus and Graponarchanalgomus".

Looks like they added full names for some

But not others (those are titles right)?

I'd like to see [Title] [Family Name] [First Name] for I don't have to mouse over each dude 5 times trying to remember who is who and how Archeoperix is different from Archeopatacus or whatever.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Is this beta patch you're running?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ilitarist posted:

Is this beta patch you're running?

No just off the dev diary.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-10th-of-june.1188401/

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ah.

No, those are not titles, those are names. They promised to add names for everybody.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Titles maybe the next next patch then. I don't know how it is for Rome, but for the Greek folks like every position is "arch-something-acus" and trying to figure out which dude I'm firing or which dude I'm making give up on his dreams is troublesome.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh I like the addition of weather, hope that'll come to some other games too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of this dev diary, it really surprised me to see the implementation of pirates they went with at launch. They've gone with that kind of implementation before and people really hated it. I don't understand why they went back to that model. I'm glad they're changing it. The proposed new model seems way better.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They've gone with that kind of implementation before and people really hated it. I don't understand why they went back to that model. I'm glad they're changing it. The proposed new model seems way better.

Imperator.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I would play this game way more if I weren't still getting CTDs after some amount of play time every time I play the game. I actually think there's some fun stuff in here but I can't just sit there and play without a crash that really fucks up my system.