Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s why most moms... aren’t stay at home moms?

whatever

why don't you go complain about abortions you american troglodyte :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Collapsing Farts posted:

whatever

why don't you go complain about abortions you american troglodyte :smug:

Joke’s on you pal I LOVE abortions

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The fact that if you buy a bag of frozen wings you'll almost always get a majority of "flats" proves they are the inferior part of a chicken wing. If they were so good they would be hoarding them for themselves instead of the drumsticks.

This bag i got had one drumstick. Just one. Out of like 15. It's bullshit.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skratchez posted:

toxic masculinity

no

the only thing toxic in america is corn. we must eliminate the corn before it takes over our brains

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Jun 9, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This bag i got had one drumstick. Just one. Out of like 15. It's bullshit.
Insofar as their frequency per living animal, agreed.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

This is really dumb. America is worse in every way compared to Scandinavia

Yeah but no one lives in Scandinavia

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've never "got" podcasts. It feels like listening to recordings of talk radio.

I mean, pretty much? Like if there's a radio show that you want to listen to, but it's not on at a convenient time, you could get hold of a recording of it and listen to it later. That's a podcast. Or if you want to make a radio show, but you don't work for a radio station, you can record it yourself. That's a podcast. It seems like you have a pretty good understanding of the concept, and also of why people would want to listen to them, so I'm not sure what it is you don't get?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Skratchez posted:

Yeah but no one lives in Scandinavia

That's one of the things that is so drat good about Scandinavia

We got all this space to ourselves

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't know if they count as podcasts but I like to listen to audio drama. Like those old rear end radio plays.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

I don't know if they count as podcasts but I like to listen to audio drama. Like those old rear end radio plays.

Lots of podcasts are compilations of or serialized audio dramas. “People talking about stuff” is only one (broad)genre.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I mean, pretty much? Like if there's a radio show that you want to listen to, but it's not on at a convenient time, you could get hold of a recording of it and listen to it later. That's a podcast. Or if you want to make a radio show, but you don't work for a radio station, you can record it yourself. That's a podcast. It seems like you have a pretty good understanding of the concept, and also of why people would want to listen to them, so I'm not sure what it is you don't get?

The part I don't get is wanting to listen to it later, tiggum. I never listen to a howard stern or typical "morning zoo" radio shows (the stuff I like to listen to) and think "I would go out of my way to listen to this at a later time". To me if it's not live then it might as well not have happened, because who cares.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Pod drat America
Grubstakers
American Grift
Citations Needed
Chapo Trap House

All good to excellent podcasts. They're nice since I started noticing NPR had gone fully to poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The part I don't get is wanting to listen to it later, tiggum. I never listen to a howard stern or typical "morning zoo" radio shows (the stuff I like to listen to) and think "I would go out of my way to listen to this at a later time". To me if it's not live then it might as well not have happened, because who cares.

Then I guess the part I don't get is wanting to listen to something but only if it's being broadcast right now. Either I want to listen to it, in which case on my schedule is better than on some radio station's schedule, or I don't want to listen to it and will do something else instead. Why are you wasting your time listening to something you don't even like enough to bother downloading?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Because it's better than listening to music (or nothing) when i drive to work every morning?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Because it's better than listening to music (or nothing) when i drive to work every morning?

Yeah, but you could be listening to something that is worth going out of your way for. Whether that's a podcast or an audio book or whatever. Why waste your time on something you don't care about?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lots of podcasts aren't in that style at all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, but you could be listening to something that is worth going out of your way for. Whether that's a podcast or an audio book or whatever. Why waste your time on something you don't care about?

I've tried audio books. Either I can't keep focused on it if I try listening to it at work and have to keep rewinding it, or I get annoyed by the reader's voice and/or reading speed if I listened to them in the car/at home.

Anyway I do enjoy the stuff I listen to in the same way I enjoy watching daytime TV court/game shows. Like I would happily spend an hour watching some judge judy if it happened to be on and I wasn't doing anything else, but I'd never DVR it or go out looking for the judge judy episodes I miss. That doesn't mean I wasted time watching them when they were on.

I acknowledge that the way I consume entertainment is kind of dumb and it would be great if I could care enough to seek out better things, but I don't. Like I've mentioned before, the only books I really read are The Dark Tower and harry potter. Finish one, start the other again, and so on. I'm content with that. It feels like too much effort to give other books/series a chance. :shrug:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Book recommendations
Debt: The First 5000 Years - David Graeber
The Divide - Matt Taibbi
Griftopia - Matt Taibbi

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sister Act is easily in the 10 best movies of the 20th century

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gripweed posted:

Sister Act is easily in the 10 best movies of the 20th century

2 is also good. You down with G-O-D? YEAH YOU KNOW ME.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
all films are poo poo because you could be playing Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove instead

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

All doors should be push doors. That way you never have the awkward situation where someone opens the door and everyone does the "are they holding it for me or not" shuffle. With push doors you just plow through and hold it for a little if someone is behind you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

all films are poo poo because you could be playing Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove instead
Wisdom

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

spit on my clit posted:

Wise word's

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a tired old ax but as long as there are dipshit kids I'm gonna keep saying it-- Magneto should always be unambiguously villainous and ultimately wrong. That isn't to say Professor X should be portrayed as a saint or not as the sketchy rich boy he is, or that Magneto can't have sympathetic qualities, but at the end of it there should be no mistaking that Magneto is a bad person and even unlikable.

"B-b-b-but he was in the Holocaust :qq:" I hear you say.

That's the loving point. You're supposed to be upset and disappointed. If you are unhappy that Magneto has gone off the deep end, you have witnessed a successful portrayal of the character.

It's a basic tragedy-- someone with more reason than anyone to understand and avoid war, genocide, and bigotry has been so radicalized by his experiences that he is the most concentrated continuation of that cycle.

"But Claremont in the mid-80s :smug:" I hear the savvier among you say.

The X-Men are known for more heel-turns than the WWE. Half of the loving roster started as anti-heroes or outright villains-- Toad, Blob, Juggernaut, White Queen, Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, Deadpool, Mimic, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Pyro, Fantomex, Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Kid Omega, Sabertooth, Legion, and Multiple Man have all made heel turns, many of them full 360 back to villany, and those are just the hard cases of bad going good, even for a while, if you want to talk edge cases or good guys going bad we have stuff like Bishop, Daken, Kid Apocalypse, X-Man, Sub-Mariner, X'orn, Revanche, Polaris, Cyclops, and multiple version of Phoenix to start. Heel turns are something everyone eventually loving does because X-Men is a soap opera and that's what soap operas do.

Don't loving @ me because Claremont flirted with having Magneto trying to reform for what, two years, out of the half-century he's been around. Guess what? Good guy Magneto demonstrably doesn't stick. And that's good. Magneto is at his best when he's a sort-of wildcard antihero, but he almost always comes down on the side of being a loving terrorist because he can't tame his demons and the only way he's ever found to quiet them is by pulling a Bender and saying "ok fine, kill all humans."

So can we please stop getting suave charming Magneto that conveniently leaves out that he's a miserable bastard to work for and be around? Please? It's not hard.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The humans keep making mutant-murdering robots that led to the apocalypse in multiple timelines. Magneto has a point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And then he takes the point too far and winds up being the very type of shithead that killed his family, friends, etc. That's the actual point.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Magneto's a dumb villain, just lure him to a large meadow and stab him with a pointed stick, problem solved.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Humans keep risking the future of the world because they just can't stop making mutant-killing robots.

I kinda feel like by, at most, the third time the United States government makes a bunch of super robots to kill mutants, the Mutants fighting the US government are unarguably the good guys

And if you're a superhero who knows about all the alternate timelines and such, there are only so many alternate futures where the robots the US government made to kill mutants go on to destroy the world you can see before it really becomes a moral imperative to destroy the US government first.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Humans keep risking the future of the world because they just can't stop making mutant-killing robots.

I kinda feel like by, at most, the third time the United States government makes a bunch of super robots to kill mutants, the Mutants fighting the US government are unarguably the good guys

And if you're a superhero who knows about all the alternate timelines and such, there are only so many alternate futures where the robots the US government made to kill mutants go on to destroy the world you can see before it really becomes a moral imperative to destroy the US government first.

There's a pretty big difference between "the US government is bad and must be destroyed" and "kill all humans" though. Magneto's generally not trying to destroy America, he's trying to wipe out all non-mutants because he thinks it's "us or them".

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hank McCoy is the best mutant.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's no doubt about that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

D&D using 5'x5' squares/cubes for everything is dumb. That's too big. A human takes up a 5'x5' area of floorspace? How big are these humans? Are they walking around with their arms stretched out? A door is 5' wide? Have you ever seen a door? 1m (or 3', I guess, if you insist on American units) would be a much better size.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just took a measuring tape and spread my arms out of curiosity. I'm short af and my arms still go a full 5'. 5x5 is a pretty reasonable size, I think.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I just took a measuring tape and spread my arms out of curiosity. I'm short af and my arms still go a full 5'. 5x5 is a pretty reasonable size, I think.

You don't walk around like that though. You can take up that much space if you want to, but two people side-by-side in a 3m wide corridor aren't taking up so much space that another person couldn't stand beside them.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Your arm span is roughly equal to your height, so a 5x5 foot square makes for a nice round-numbered cube in three dimensions, especially considering the smaller stature of dwarves and halflings.
Or something, I don't know, I've never played D&D but I want to.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Magneto's a dumb villain, just lure him to a large meadow and stab him with a pointed stick, problem solved.

The problem with that and every comic book villain is that the writers will just say "oh well there was a deposit of iron under the meadow" or "oh there was an iron-rich asteroid passing overhead at that moment" or "oh he has this other way of using his power we haven't revealed before that conveniently wins the battle". They know nobody gives a poo poo about consistency in comics so they just lean into it and wing it, which is why they (the books/"graphic novels" themselves, the movies based on them have been decent lately but not amazing - we can certainly do without them) are a terrible form of entertainment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Superhero comic books and their related media just need to die, really. I think they've basically told all the stories they can possibly tell at this point. The power escalation has gotten to the point that even literally omniscient people are boring. The only possibility from there is rehashing old ideas or the soap opera bullshit people keep complaining about. Another thing is of course how god damned often superheroes die and come back. Then it became clear that they were running out of ideas when there were just more and more alternate realities or mutants like Mr. M.

Go look up Mr. M. His power list can just be written shortly as "is basically God." What do you do with a character like that running around?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Superhero films peaked at the first xmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I've never played D&D but I want to.

Just get some of your friends on board and play then - or play a better RPG because D&D is overly complicated and not very interesting. Or if your friends aren't interested, look up a game shop near where you live and go in there and ask if they run D&D games and if there's a group you can join.