Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only 2 blu rays i own are akira and john wick and I'm shamed to say i havn't watched either (both were dirt cheap charity shop purchases)

Funny the only bluray I own is also akira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I cannot loving wait

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ineffiable posted:

So if you thought the trailer for Elden Ring didn't tell you much, here's a good interview with lots of info.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/

Elden ring will be more like an RPG like Dark Souls.

Open world and their biggest game yet.

This game is gonna own so hard. But at the same time I hope they made some improvements to the combat since Dark Souls because Sekiro felt really fresh after like 4 titles with the exact same combat system.

Basically if they are gonna let me roleplay then let me roleplay as a Shinobi.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't help but feel that the words "open world" are nothing but a worthless dilution to a From game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't help but feel that the words "open world" are nothing but a worthless dilution to a From game.

People jerk off about how open DS1 was but I think that game also had the biggest collective issue of people getting lost or stuck or constantly trying to get somewhere they weren't "supposed" to be (New Londo Ruins, Depths.) So yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of that component also, especially considering how much more structured Sekiro was comparatively and that game mega rules

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elden Ring sounds great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enojy posted:

I find myself bouncing off of most games these days in my old(?) age but come on man Witcher 3 was great. The only real complaint I could levy against it was it was a bit long.

I enjoyed it but not the fighting, horse riding, moving around, or inventory system

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

People jerk off about how open DS1 was but I think that game also had the biggest collective issue of people getting lost or stuck or constantly trying to get somewhere they weren't "supposed" to be (New Londo Ruins, Depths.) So yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of that component also, especially considering how much more structured Sekiro was comparatively and that game mega rules

I was always susrprised at how open people felt DS1 was because it's like not, like, at all. It just lets you walk from one place to another like King's Field instead of only teleporting like Demon's Souls. Both of those are "open" the same way something like Link to the Past is but smaller.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think this evening I may be able to complete God of War. I think I am very close to the end :D

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John Wick kinda mirrors The Matrix in that JW1 as a stand alone film is a truly perfect movie and 2 and 3 are gorgeous ballets of violence strung together by a dumb plot that drags the action down.

Please don’t watch 3 first, it really misses the heart of the series.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The combat is ok and the alchemy is just kinda bad. I enjoyed the combat much much more when I played the DLC on a prebuild character who ended up being specced for Magic because you can then try out something different after I had done just light attacks all game (Basically, mash left click and sometimes block, reapply shield when it falls off)

This is like the quintessential Witcher 3 combat post. “I didn’t like the combat or alchemy, why yes I did just spam light attack all game why do you ask?”

One of the first Alchemy talents grants you Bullet Time on counter if you’ve got a potion buff active. This single talent singlehandedly changes the game and makes combat way more action oriented. To add to this, if you aren’t using both dodge and dodge-roll separately for their different strengths then you’re gonna have a bad time. I also don’t think it’s worth it to spec deep into Signs because the cooldowns are prohibitive compared to Alchemy just being a pile of massive static buffs that are always on. Alchemy is head and shoulders the strongest skill tree and it’s really not close.

Sincerely: the nerd who beat all 3 games on Death March

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The combat is what first sucked me into The Witcher 3 hahaha. It’s so good to me, even thinking about it now is satisfying. I totally understand not enjoying it though. That’s fine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lid posted:

2 > 1 > 3

the Wick scale, not Witcher

You've got your greater than/less than symbols backwards, easy mistake to make.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

The combat is what first sucked me into The Witcher 3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can understand people thinking TW3 was great but the first Witcher is legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played for more than a couple hours. Everything about it is just awful, from the combat to the graphics to the writing to the voice acting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I can understand people thinking TW3 was great but the first Witcher is legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played for more than a couple hours. Everything about it is just awful, from the combat to the graphics to the writing to the voice acting.

Cdpr is a force in industry due to nude trading cards in that game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

It is a very bad videogame from 2007 which would have been a bad videogame in 1997.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but you get trading cards with boobies for all the fine wenches you shag, you can see why the series took off

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is Elden Ring an Xbox Exclusive? :ohdear: I hope not

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Nope!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Regy Rusty posted:

You've got your greater than/less than symbols backwards, easy mistake to make.

Literally nothing happens in 3 by the ending everyone is exactly where they started, its a filler arc in a movie, the set pieces are retreads, and its like trying too hard to be funny rather than the black humour of the previous ones. It's like it was written by Anthony Burch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Firstborn posted:

To my knowledge, Xbox hasn’t had an exclusive this generation that wasn’t indie-ware 2X platformer garbage.

Any game that gets released on xbox always has a PC release

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I think the only non-Sony (Xbone/PC) exclusives are Gears, Forza, the Flight Sim, PSO2, and Halo.

Everything else will be on PS4.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Don't forget Fable!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I meant less "is it xbox exclusive" and rather "can i get it on ps4". I get your meaning and appreciate the answers.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The only Xbox exclusive of this generation that cannot be found anywhere else is Rare Replay and even that is debateable. Everything else, even Sunset Overdrive, is on PC or other platforms.

EDIT: And Crimson Dragoon.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

MS release rare replay on steam you cowards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was amazed at the number of nut shots in John Wick 3, it seemed way higher than in the other two movies. Also it's literally a video game turn in your quest item to advance to the next stage! oh no, a new type of goon has appeared that's immune to your go-to finisher! good thing you have enough rep with the merchant to buy his tier 2 stock! so I'm OK with saying it's the worst, but not by very much. Still a great watch.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Space Panda posted:

As a console regular PS4 user I kinda wish games like cyberpunk 2020 and dying light just came out in November 2020 as launch ps5 games. I feel like they are going to set my ps4 on fire.

There is no way these games won't be getting a cross-gen release on PS5 (or I guess, backward-compat. with better graphics, who knows?).

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently developers at E3 are letting slip that the PS5 is actually going to be the most powerful console next generation, despite Microsoft's initial claims when they announced their new console last year. Considering developers are having to get to grips with the dev kits right now since they're probably both launching Q4 next year (well, the next Xbox definitely is) they'll likely be dealing with close to finalized specifications and it's unlikely for things to change.

I'd imagine PS5 and Xbox (Two?) will both launch very closely to each other in Q4 next year. I think performance differences will be marginal as they seem to be going for pretty much the same components but we'll have to wait and see.

The most important factor will be the price, if one is $100 cheaper than other (as PS4 was compared to XOne at launch) this could have a big effect.

It's also interesting how early this announcement has been. With this current gen the PS4 was announced early in 2013 then released within 7 months of the announcement. But this is roughly 18 months away, I get it, Microsoft have nothing to lose since Xbox sales have been very poor so anything they can do to shift focus to their next thing is welcome, but I suspect Sony didn't want to show their hand quite so early.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Imhotep posted:

Dude, nice, if you can beat Amy then Mergo's Wet Nurse will be cake, just sprint around for the dark illusion phase. Isn't that boss music incredible? It's one of my favorite moments in the game, and being at the top of the Nightmare of Mensis, with that music box lullaby playing, and just that, is so perfect for a boss that's one of the last in the game. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm glad you went and beat Amygdala, because you're almost done, and at the point of no return when you enter the next non-optional boss. Also, how many umbilical cords do you have? I'd keep a save scummed file after Mergo if you do decide to get the DLC, which is by far my favorite From DLC. It's really not long if you can turbo through it, but on my first play through it seemed huge, and there are like 5 bosses. It's just an incredible distillation of everything that Bloodborne is to me, and why it's so great, packed into a few levels, and the second area is my favorite in the game. And the last non optional boss is my favorite in maybe any game, in terms of difficulty, tone, music, lore, design... I love it. It's well worth getting, but yeah, you're literally sooo closeee.

How many umbilical cords do you have? Maybe check on the residents of your Oedon Chapel... but (I'm spoilering this in case you don't want to see an obtuse From Soft thing that will change the ending drastically, but I'll keep it vague. Somehow I got it purely through luck.. But I save scummed to see all the endings)I recommend trying to get 3 umbilical cords, and then consuming them, if you want to get the most out of the ending, or just the most out of the gameplay. Because each ending is interesting.

I'm glad you got back into it! Also, if you want to just mess around, the pigs and the shadows of Yharnam will fight each other, on the stairs before Queen Yharnam/the elevator to Mergo, which is a super easy way to get a poo poo load of echoes.

Also apologies for saying this for the nth time, but if you do get the DLC at some point, I'd gladly hunt with you with my new Bloodtinge character, if you want a quick, but thorough tour of the Nightmare. (also I regularly co op without a mic with one friend who doesn't have a working headset, so that's cool with me).

I have no clue how many umbilical cords I have, I’ll have to check. I know that’s a thing with the endings like you mentioned. My plan is probably to go for the “best” one and then check the others via YouTube.

I’m super pumped to try out the dlc soon. On sale now too! I can’t wait to experience the design and atmosphere etc Bloodborne distilled goodness in that. Everything I know about it sounds damp. Damp horror is good horror

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My roomie just up an bought Journey on her own volition, I think I've underestimated her Gamer Prowess and also I'm so happy because it's a very emotional game for me and I haven't played it in like seven years.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Black Griffon posted:

My roomie just up an bought Journey on her own volition, I think I've underestimated her Gamer Prowess and also I'm so happy because it's a very emotional game for me and I haven't played it in like seven years.

Reminds me how me and my friend manipulated the matchmaking just so we could play together.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MZ posted:

I'd imagine PS5 and Xbox (Two?) will both launch very closely to each other in Q4 next year. I think performance differences will be marginal as they seem to be going for pretty much the same components but we'll have to wait and see.

The most important factor will be the price, if one is $100 cheaper than other (as PS4 was compared to XOne at launch) this could have a big effect.

I think we've pretty much reached graphical and feature parity between Xbox and PlayStation (or close enough, barring minor differences in framerate/draw distance/aliasing/etc.)

Part of me expects them to be the same price, because Microsoft doesn't need another disadvantage to Sony, who sell around twice as many consoles per generation.

But another part of me is kinda skeptical based on that E3 Project Scarlett fluff piece... they were really trying to emphasize how cutting edge the hardware was; proprietary this, in-house that, virtual memory! Ess-Ess-Dee! 40 times faster! Realtime hardware accelerated raytracing! 60 frames per second at 120 Hertz! 4K, 8K, maybe some weird poo poo nobody has even seen before! Absolutely no mention of the backend at all, but that's wasted seconds of trailer time to an audience of gamers/consumers. It just seemed to be hyping up a very premium product that may come with a (comparatively) premium price tag.

Same price is their best bet, if not cheaper! Especially if they're trying to woo people who are currently devoted to the PlayStation brand.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MZ posted:

There is no way these games won't be getting a cross-gen release on PS5 (or I guess, backward-compat. with better graphics, who knows?).

Yeah to be honest nothing against the PS4 but Last of Us 2/etc. I'm going to hold off on until I have a PS5 in the future. I mean, I might get one very soon if the backwards compatibility really is on point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

The only Xbox exclusive of this generation that cannot be found anywhere else is Rare Replay and even that is debateable. Everything else, even Sunset Overdrive, is on PC or other platforms.

EDIT: And Crimson Dragoon.
Not of this generation, but Panzer Dragoon Orta and Metal Wolf Chaos remain exclusive to the Xbox. And the best versions of Ninja Gaiden.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You can hear my launch PS4 from space when I play Red Dead Redemption 2 so I might wait for the PS5 to get the last lot of upcoming PS4 games.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I finally picked up AC Origins in the sale. It's fun, looks great, but man, so many loading screens. Even when I switch from birdview to my dude. I'll probably stop using the bird altogether because I'm already tired of seeing the loading icon.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

enojy posted:

... they were really trying to emphasize how cutting edge the hardware was; proprietary this, in-house that, virtual memory! Ess-Ess-Dee! 40 times faster! Realtime hardware accelerated raytracing! 60 frames per second at 120 Hertz! 4K, 8K, maybe some weird poo poo nobody has even seen before! Absolutely no mention of the backend at all, but that's wasted seconds of trailer time to an audience of gamers/consumers. It just seemed to be hyping up a very premium product that may come with a (comparatively) premium price tag.

Yes but I think Sony will follow very much the same path, I don't think either of these consoles are going to be around the $399 mark like the PS4 was at launch, I'm expecting $499 at a minimum unless they are going to take a loss on the hardware (which they might do even at that price).

It looks like they are gearing towards more cutting-edge tech, much more than what we got with this current-gen's launch (although it still amazes me that the launch PS4 can do HDR output - that was some foresight!).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not of this generation, but Panzer Dragoon Orta and Metal Wolf Chaos remain exclusive to the Xbox. And the best versions of Ninja Gaiden.

Metal Wolf Chaos is coming to PS4 though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos is coming to PS4 though

Part of me thinks it's been quietly cancelled since it wasn't even mentioned on the Devolver E3 presentation last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I thought so too but on Devolver's website they're promoting it coming "this summer" in a post dating from June 5th.